Pawns of Loki!

Diovani Bressan

Well, this is completely different from the first round. Had to throw all that HP stacking focus from the first round out the window and put much more emphasis on destroying the foes with my strongest units. After a disastrous attempt with tomes/dragons, I switched to tomes/melee for this round. Even though melee loses out on a combo level, it lets me field most of my +10 armors. Two attempts with that team got me to 11,412, which seems like enough to be safe for Tier 6.

MlgG9xr.jpgDy2Z5Wt.jpg

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Legendary Edelgard, Legendary Dimitri and Hel on the same team... Yep, not fun.

I am basically using the same team I was using the previous round, which some ranged units added there. I am using only mages here, so I have a easier time getting the ranged units combo.

I got a pretty nice score already, at 10,263. Not trying to improve it.

If you're using only mages, you can only get one weapon type combo, so you miss out on a bunch of stats. Seems like it's best to pick two weapon groups and go for about a 50/50 split between them. As long as one of them is the bonus, you can get the full bonus score even if the other isn't.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Othin said:

If you're using only mages, you can only get one weapon type combo, so you miss out on a bunch of stats. Seems like it's best to pick two weapon groups and go for about a 50/50 split between them. As long as one of them is the bonus, you can get the full bonus score even if the other isn't.

I think I didn't use the right words or was not clear with my previous comment.

What I meant is that I am using a mix of melee and ranged units in my barracks, and the ranged units part only have tome units. No bows and no dagger units. I still can get two weapon type combos.

It's something similar to what you have in your barrack: melee/tomes only.

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

What I meant is that I am using a mix of melee and ranged units in my barracks, and the ranged units part only have tome units. No bows and no dagger units. I still can get two weapon type combos.

Ahh, okay.

Edit: Played a few more times. Couldn't usually get past 10k, but on another good run, I managed to improve my score to 11,491!

Edited by Othin

Good lord, wtf was that sudden powerspike?

Just people using armors and damage reduction units in the front line that you can never kill.

The fun didn't last long.

The first round was fun but omg yes I had to change my ranged brigade!! I am doing the popular magic and dragons run. I am also playing on intermediate because some of these players teams... yeah... no lol.

I got over 10,000 points playing on intermediate with these:

098AAC2D-4EB2-4909-A70C-6026062A7B6E.jpeg

8 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Okay so... this mode went from perfectly alright, a fair bit grindy but then it happens to every game... now... if I gave my full opinion, I might get a number of warnings from mods for... language, so let's just say that it now sucks ass x100. 100 asses.

No, you're being warned for being too lenient with the power spike description!  😜

5 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Are you completely missing bows/daggers in your friends list, or do you just not want to throw them into your pool?

---

Looks like I'm going to take more time than anything for this mode.  I liked it a lot better when going up against random CPU units!  Not all of my friends are hyper-optimized, nor do I feel like kicking everyone off BECAUSE they're not hyper-optimized.

Oof! I see what everyone is talking about. Despite winning the last match on Advanced, I still got my ass handed to me three or four times in the middle matches even when I am using bulky melee units in front. For one of the middle matches, the opponent even managed to get max matching bonus stats too. I think I got like 7,000 something score. All those FE!Edelgards and ANF!Edlegards can take a ton of punishment.

I then went to Intermediate and got 9,719 scoring, which I think seems decent. I might try a few more times later today. But yeah, I am already not a fan of the mode, and the difficulty spike made it even worse. I rather play Tap Battle.

Yeah, as soon as player-built units are introduced as AI opponents, the gamemode stopped being fun. Not helping matters is that ranged units typically have less bulk stats, meaning if the frontline falls, the ranged units often become free food for the enemy team, not to mention that they likely wouldn't score as well as armored or infantry units . And the AI isn't being ranked so they have nothing to lose. Worse is the amount of overly bulky Galeforce armored units with guaranteed follow-ups that can be found on opposing brigades.

Wish I could've seen this gamemode being a dead man walking sooner.

Ok, after cooling off from the whiplash of round 2 being hellish compared to round 1 I went back and changed my brigade from HP based ranged units to optimal dragons+mages as they are the most reliable comp to deal with brave units and the like. I managed to clear Advanced once when the stars aligned and I faced someone with a suboptimal team (tons of normal Dimitris and Surtrs, tho). I got a score of 11,328 which puts me at rank 173 atm. That should be good enough for now. 

The brigade I used was this one:

nZEq9XF.jpg

MVPs were B!Micaiah with her Yune's Whispers debuff, Idunn because she demolishes every Surtr and Edelgard in existance and friend Myrrh for being an absolute tank. 

This Game mode has a serious balance problem, though nothing that can't be fixed in the future. The enemy combos shouldn't that high before the final rounds. And the Game should have hard limits in how much Units the enemy can have and how powerful they can be (depending the round of course).

That is all.

Still more fun than the other Game mods IMO despite the sudden Power Spike 

Edited by Troykv

48 minutes ago, XRay said:

Oof! I see what everyone is talking about. Despite winning the last match on Advanced, I still got my ass handed to me three or four times in the middle matches even when I am using bulky melee units in front. For one of the middle matches, the opponent even managed to get max matching bonus stats too. I think I got like 7,000 something score. All those FE!Edelgards and ANF!Edlegards can take a ton of punishment.

I then went to Intermediate and got 9,719 scoring, which I think seems decent. I might try a few more times later today. But yeah, I am already not a fan of the mode, and the difficulty spike made it even worse. I rather play Tap Battle.

Yeah, it seems like the middle matches can be tougher than the later ones, when you start facing level 30 enemies with full skill sets and haven't yet gotten most of your units to the same point.

I tried Intermediate, but it seems like the scoring penalty is too big for it to improve my current high score. It's good to have the option, though.

With how common these complaints are, I bet they'll make the enemies weaker next time they run the mode, like with Resonant Battles.

One change that could be nice is making it so the levels of the units (and therefore how long it takes them to become available) is determined by their order in your brigade. It'd make the mode a lot less random, since you could make sure units will appear when you need them. Which would admittedly make it easy to put your best units early in the brigade and ignore the rest, but you can do that in GC too if you keep your units alive, and I think there can be situations where the units you want early are different from the ones you want later.

Thinking about how I'd build teams with it working that way, it occurs to me that I've been thinking about movement types the whole wrong way. Like, my current brigade has Gwendolyn, Sirius, and Cordelia as the lance units, Gwendolyn because she's a fantastic tank and Sirius and Cordelia to offer lance cavalry and lance flier options for combo purposes. But Gwendolyn is so much better than the others that I try to replace them with her whenever I can, so if I get one of the others I have to plan my team to allow for swapping them out for a lance armor. It'd be way simpler to just make my other lance units be lance armors as well, like Brave Hector and Hardin, and make sure whatever team I build has room for the lance slot to be an armor.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Are you completely missing bows/daggers in your friends list, or do you just not want to throw them into your pool?

It's kinda a mix of both.

I have some bow units in my friend list, and not that many dagger units, but I have more tome options. And with the focus in only one type of ranged unit, I feel it's easier for me to get a combo.

After spending the past 3 hours or so going back and forth between refining my team composition and grinding the mode, my feelings about this game mode are mixed. It's fun when the game gives you good character rolls and not-broken opponents and it's an utter pain in the ass when it doesn't.

My current team composition is physical melee, dragons, and tomes crossed with armor, infantry, and flying, and the strategy is to go for at least an 18-point stat bonus by round 4 (4×2 points for 2 weapon type combos and 4+6 points for 2 of each movement type). As long as the game doesn't throw a bullshit 22-point bonus opponent at me, I should be fine (and if it does, then I just surrender and start over).

Galeforce is insanely satisfying in this mode (even when the unit just suicides afterwards).

My current high score is 10,049 10,623.

Edited by Ice Dragon

How valuable is Galeforce? I am currently running dragons with daggers, so I am mostly relying on enemies suiciding themselves against my front line. I picked dragon-dagger combo to target Def/Res, and I picked dragons over physical melee for scoring, and I picked dagger over bows for the debuff. I could switch it up to physical-magic for Galeforce, but I would see a slight score drop, although Galeforce would more likely ensure that I kill every enemy on the board, since I often times have one or two enemies left over during some of the middle matches, even on Intermediate.

14 minutes ago, XRay said:

How valuable is Galeforce?

I've only used Legendary Edelgard so far, but she's been amazing for dealing with enemy dragons, blue armors, and Dimitri. I just added Brave Celica to my team a few runs back, but haven't had the chance to actually use her in a run yet.

I can foresee occasionally failing to activate Galeforce due to accidentally one-hit killing enemies when you have a stat advantage, but running the numbers should let you avoid doing so if you're not lazy like me.

I finally started using friend units and built a much more reliable team with them, but even with what seemed like a near-perfect run, I was still about 200 points off my previous high score. So I'm giving up on trying to hit 11.5k today.

Wonder what the final round will be like.

13 minutes ago, Othin said:

Wonder what the final round will be like.

Final round will have all units type as bonus, so we can use anyone and easily get the 100 points.

We just need to hope we dont get strong units like we dos during round 2.

7 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Final round will have all units type as bonus, so we can use anyone and easily get the 100 points.

We just need to hope we dont get strong units like we dos during round 2.

If round 2 is way harder than round 1, and round 3 is more flexible with unit choices than the first two rounds, I expect it to get even tougher.

I couldn't break my previous high score despite trying so many times. At the very least I managed to reach 11k+ points consistently, which is pretty high considering the top scores are at like 12.3k and those come from whales.

I'm not looking foward to round 3 because I'm 100% certain that's when L!Chrom will be unleashed and most of my roster has bad matchups against him (like they can kill him but will be left almost dead and be easy pickings for the unit behind Chrom). Then again, the same holds true for L!Dimitri and he isn't very common from what I've seen so maybe L!Chrom will also be a rare sight..I hope.

With how Pawns of Loki is set up, I guess it's only a matter of time before IS releases a new colorless physical melee weapon type (gauntlets, perhaps?) to go with swords, lances, and axes. Otherwise, the gamemode in its current state favors bows, tomes, beasts, daggers, and dragon units since those are the weapons with all 4 colors available for each type. Even then, it generally relies on heavily investing in specific units or friends having said units (ie. colorless tomes, colored bows/daggers, etc.).