Pawns of Loki!

Diovani Bressan

1 hour ago, Roflolxp54 said:

With how Pawns of Loki is set up, I guess it's only a matter of time before IS releases a new colorless physical melee weapon type (gauntlets, perhaps?) to go with swords, lances, and axes. Otherwise, the gamemode in its current state favors bows, tomes, beasts, daggers, and dragon units since those are the weapons with all 4 colors available for each type. Even then, it generally relies on heavily investing in specific units or friends having said units (ie. colorless tomes, colored bows/daggers, etc.).

It's an interesting tradeoff. Swords/lances/axes have limited combo potential, but also larger selections of units, so it can be easier to find a good one, especially heavily merged ones with high HP.

I've speculated about them making a colorless melee weapon plus red/blue/green staffs to keep the weapon type counts balanced by color, but the staffs would be a bit odd now since it'd require changing how their combo bonus works. Currently three colorless staffs is worth +6, but for normal weapon types that would be +2. Which wouldn't be an unreasonable change, I guess.

Round 3 seems pretty similar to Round 4, just with more competition for ranks. I'm currently within the T8 cutoff with a score of 10,721, but it's a bit narrow (rank 1,544 with a cutoff of 1,718) so I don't expect that to last. Want to try to get 11k again.

Edited by Othin

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Managed to hit 10,248 via Intermediate! I still cannot beat Advanced with full wins though. Not a fan of all the Edelgards and Dimitris. I rather face Surtr.

— — — — — — —

With lots of restarting, I managed to win all rounds a few times on Advanced, but I scored like shit under 9,000 each time still, probably due to a lot of deaths.

Edited by XRay

I dropped into T7, wanted to try for T8 but realized that on top of the time commitment, being near the top of T7 could actually get better rewards over the next few rounds whenever this rolls back around than barely making it into T8 and then immediately falling out of it.

For the life of me, I couldn't secure a score above 10,660. And given that scores higher than that were pushed out of T8, it's probably a good thing I stopped and settled for T7.

There needs to be some serious rebalancing done. You'd think that IntSys would realize how merciless their playerbase is at this point, but right now it's far too easy to lose a high score run from flubbing one match because you encounter that one jackass who has a +28 bonus with L!Chrom on Turn 4.

Edited by Some Jerk

3 hours ago, Some Jerk said:

There needs to be some serious rebalancing done. You'd think that IntSys would realize how merciless their playerbase is at this point, but right now it's far too easy to lose a high score run from flubbing one match because you encounter that one jackass who has a +28 bonus with L!Chrom on Turn 4.

Yeah, the matching set bonus for the enemy is kind of bull shit. A lot of times on Advanced, enemies are not only higher level than me, but they also get full matching bonus of 28 right on round 4 or 5, while I only have like around 20 at that point, and that is assuming I am relatively lucky with my hand and mulligans.

I'm not too worried about enemy strength. As people progress through the tiers through successive rounds, it'll be possible for anyone to settle in a tier appropriate for their team and strategy, which could involve planning for some amount of losses against Advanced enemies or picking a lower difficulty.

I think the real issue is consistency. There's a lot of randomness in both the order your own units show up and in the strength of opposing teams, and I'd like them to find ways to cut down on the variance a bit so it doesn't take as many attempts to get a sequence where you could feasibly score about as well as you could hope to.

15 hours ago, Othin said:

I think the real issue is consistency. There's a lot of randomness in both the order your own units show up and in the strength of opposing teams, and I'd like them to find ways to cut down on the variance a bit so it doesn't take as many attempts to get a sequence where you could feasibly score about as well as you could hope to.

I guess I would not mind seeing all types of Edelgards and Dimitris as much if they made the set matching bonus increase linearly for the enemy, so that way it better matches the player's progression. I have to restart the vast majority of times because the AI got full matching bonus before I do and that usually results in a loss. Even if I somehow manage to win, I lose so many units and HP anyways that it might as well just be a loss.

But even with a more stable bonus progression for the enemy, units like ANF!Edelgard, ANF!Dimitri, SK!Dimitri, and BH!Ike still get a massive power spike from bonus stats. Their visible HP stat might look like it is just increasing by 28 like everyone else, but due to their skill loadout, that HP is effectively more like 50 to 100 HP.

16 hours ago, Othin said:

I don't believe randomness is a problem. What makes an autochess even a fun gamemode is one part because the factor of luck in it.

I played autochess in other games before, and I realize very quickly what the true issue is with PoL. And before someone asks: the issue isn't PvsP.

In fact, autochess like Little Legends is mostly PvsP except for the first round who is against random monsters and rounds where they give you free items or gold. The rest of the rounds are against other players' teams. Yet it's nowhere near as dumb as PoL was.

Why? Because the choices of units are the same for all the players.

Think about it for a second: the game has almost 600 units, this is already difficult to manage for a developer. And sure, we all know that some units are more difficult to deal than others (brave Edelgard and brave Dimitri). Yet they aren't just the units, there's also skills, merges to take in consideration. It would be impossible to balance a game with this much variation if you don't give set units for everyone to play in their decks.

The mode was fun, in the hours I could play it, which is not many. I feel like rounds should be extended an extra 24 hours. This would also cut down on the grind considerably. Looking at the high scores people are posting, even if you got that score consistently on each bonus run of all six days, you still need to grind for the remaining rewards. I only got halfway up the point rewards because on the second day of each round I'd pull up my phone to do busywork in the game and the round had already ended. If there was an autobattle function to let the game grind for me like in other modes, I'd be okay with it though. 

A lot of the units I've picked up this week seem like they'll be powerful additions to weapon types I had trouble finding enough high-end picks for. Looking forward to fielding them next time this rolls around.

On 11/19/2020 at 1:22 PM, Glennstavos said:

The mode was fun, in the hours I could play it, which is not many. I feel like rounds should be extended an extra 24 hours. This would also cut down on the grind considerably. Looking at the high scores people are posting, even if you got that score consistently on each bonus run of all six days, you still need to grind for the remaining rewards. I only got halfway up the point rewards because on the second day of each round I'd pull up my phone to do busywork in the game and the round had already ended. If there was an autobattle function to let the game grind for me like in other modes, I'd be okay with it though. 

If you're getting about 10k per round, you can hit 200k with just six bonus rounds and two normal ones. 10k is admittedly pretty high to get every time, but two matches per day can hit the target with just 8.3k per round.

Between Voting Gauntlets, Grand Conquests, and Rokkr Sieges, "3 rounds of 2 days each" seems like a pretty common event structure. Maybe you just need time to get used to the schedule? If the best time for you to play it is in the last four hours before the reset, when the second day of a round would be over, you can play more on the first day to make up for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Still as tough as last time with all the L!Dimitris and Resplandent Eliwoods with Savage Blow (whoever made this has a special place in hell). After lots of struggle I managed to reach 11k points, which isn't all that impressive but it should be enough to mantain my tier. 

2 hours ago, Alexmender said:

Still as tough as last time with all the L!Dimitris and Resplandent Eliwoods with Savage Blow (whoever made this has a special place in hell). After lots of struggle I managed to reach 11k points, which isn't all that impressive but it should be enough to mantain my tier. 

I got 11,512 in intermediate. The enemy combos I got were around 12-14... Way more enjoyable to play.

I also didn't get any Dimitri or Eliwood this time... I got some Brave Edelgard, but she died to Adult Tiki or Fallen Ike.

I got 11,094 on my first run, lost round 10 but did pretty well otherwise. I'm currently in the 7>8 threshold but might need some work to maintain that.

Edit: Tried Intermediate and managed to win all the rounds pretty cleanly, total of 11,759. This looks safe to advance to T8.

Edited by Othin

Advanced is still basically bullshit with enemies often having higher bonuses AND levels, so even if you manage to have around 20 bonus early, the AI still curb stomps you anyways with higher level units.

With Intermediate, my highest is 11,383.

11 minutes ago, XRay said:

Advanced is still basically bullshit with enemies often having higher bonuses AND levels, so even if you manage to have around 20 bonus early, the AI still curb stomps you anyways with higher level units.

With Intermediate, my highest is 11,383.

They mentioned plans in a notification to restrict the combo bonuses enemies get in rounds 4-6. That seems like a good call, those rounds were always the worst about that.

43 minutes ago, Othin said:

They mentioned plans in a notification to restrict the combo bonuses enemies get in rounds 4-6. That seems like a good call, those rounds were always the worst about that.

Yeah. I hope they tweak the levels too. My units are often under levelled even when I manage to match the enemy's bonus.

Edited by XRay

18 hours ago, XRay said:

Yeah. I hope they tweak the levels too. My units are often under levelled even when I manage to match the enemy's bonus.

I haven't found levels to be an issue, sometimes the enemy levels are a bit higher but you can overcome that by picking advantageous matchups. Especially in Intermediate, which seems fine for most purposes right now.

Improved my T7 Intermediate score to 11,917. Haven't been able to reach 12k, don't think it's worth bothering to try any more.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

I haven't found levels to be an issue, sometimes the enemy levels are a bit higher but you can overcome that by picking advantageous matchups.

I still get wrecked from advantageous matchups, especially against units like FE!Edelgard or SK!Dimitri. Even if I manage to tank and kill the front line enemy, the backline enemy is often of a different color and can wreck my weakened frontline unit.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

I still get wrecked from advantageous matchups, especially against units like FE!Edelgard or SK!Dimitri. Even if I manage to tank and kill the front line enemy, the backline enemy is often of a different color and can wreck my weakened frontline unit.

Even if they're different colors, you can at least be neutral against one and advantageous against the other, and have the backline unit help against the neutral one.

• 2 weeks later...

I flailed around on Advanced a bit, then remembered Intermediate exists and got 12,062 with my previous team. Currently sitting at rank 575 in T8, with a cutoff of 1,733 to move up to T9, so I should be safe.

I don't know how I did it, but I just BS'd myself into tier 8 with a lucky round that got me over 10,000 points.

Sure, it's completely possible that I'll get kicked out of there within the next 4 hours, but I totally wasn't expecting to beat my previous high score. Maybe it's the bonus units, but I am having less issue this time around than the last round.

• 1 month later...

Got a score of 13,651 on Intermediate, which puts me well within the range to finally move up to T10. Seems like the tier requirements are getting easier over time, but also I don't think I've ever cracked 13k before, so that's quite a jump.