Rate the Unit-Three Houses, Day 34: Gilbert

Barren

Now we get to talk about one of Faerghus' stalwart knights Gilbert.

Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard or Maddening Mode. Also, they should be based on when the unit is first available. (When rating a unit, please specify whether you are rating assuming Hard or Maddening.)

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Marcus/10", etc. Proper Justification will be determined by me and whoever decides to help.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is okay, but no more.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Makes it easy to calculate, please and thank you~!

-The rating you give to a unit assumes a good build for said unit-nothing among the lines of, "Dedue is 2/10 because he's a bad mage."

-The ranking assumes no grinding of any form, no DLC and minor, (one or two stat boosters per month) use of the Greenhouse.

- Make votes easily visible, please! "[Explanation text]: So, overall, I think X unit is a 7.5/10, with a +1 bias included for being hawt/cute/funny/etc.."

- Every ranking phase ends approximately at 20:00 PST. Do the math for your timezone, please!

-We will ask you to not use the "Not X unit" reason. Because it will be used a lot. I.E, do not say "Linhardt bad because not Lysithea."

-The Black Eagles may be assessed based on their performances in either Silver Snow or Crimson Flower, other than when not applicable.

Scores:

Dimtri: 9.14

Byleth: 9.05

Edelgard: 9.00

Claude: 8.977

Felix: 8.625 

Lysithea: 8.472

Petra: 8.34

Leonie: 8.2

Ferdinand: 7.78

Catherine: 7.7556

Sylvain: 7.66

Ingrid: 7.34

Hilda: 7.31

Seteth: 7.2273

Bernadetta: 7.125

Linhardt: 7.11

Marianne: 6.9769

Mercedes: 6.756

Shamir: 6.65

Dorothea: 6.375

Cyril: 6.0454

Dedue: 5.8571

Alois: 5.75

Annette: 5.5375

Hubert: 5.525

Ignatz: 4.88

Flayn: 4.583

Caspar: 4.32

Hanneman: 4.18

Lorenz: 3.8077

Raphael: 3.7273 

Ashe: 3.69 (nice)

Manuela: 3.1

Underscore: Black Eagles

Bold: Blue Lions

Itallics: Golden deer

Purple: Faculty

Boldunderscoreditallics: DLC

Average score for Black Eagles: 6.94

Average score for Blue lions: 6.82

Average score for Golden Deer: 6.543

Average score for Faculty: 5.66 (rounded, it was a very very long number)

Gilbert is unquestionably the worst character in the base game.

The good: If you don't understand how the game works you might think his defence is good! In all seriousness, it is pretty good, but not as good as it looks. 30 as a Fortress Knight translates to 20 base, at Level 26. Compared to any other Fortress Knight who reached 17 at Level 20 and gained 6 more levels at ~50% growth (requires 35% base, i.e. Edelgard/Hilda level), that's actually standard. He does, at least, have a personal that buffs it by 2 in practice. So his defence is respectable, but nothing you couldn't achieve with other characters if you were so inclined (and notably outclassed by Dedue, who's on the same route). Gilbert's other good stats are HP (one of the highest in the game) and strength (on paper, it's similar to Raphael; in practice, no skills to help it out will hurt).

The less good: 8+30% speed... at Level 26. 7+10% res. Game-worst luck (everyone else hits 10 from Advanced tier, he has 10 at Level 26, with 15% growth) so he'll be seeing crit rates from everything that actually manages to damage him, which is every mage and stronger fighters. Take him out of a 4-move class and suddenly his defence isn't very special. 6+35% charm isn't wretched like some of his other stats, but it is below average, further compromising his tanking role.

Everything I've ever said about late-joiners applies to him, only moreso. Want him to deal damage via Death Blow? You're backtracking starting in Chapter 14, have fun! Unlike Seteth and Alois he doesn't even have remotely decent skill ranks: D+ Authority in Chapter 13, are you kidding me?

You might have noticed I've never yet given out a score of 1, 1.5, or 2, despite my stated intention to use the full 1-10 scale. That's because Gilbert is that much worse than the next worst PC. Completely useless after his joining chapter, defaults to the worst class line in the game, completely outclassed by anyone else you might have built like him, if you actually wanted someone like him. Gilbert gets a 1/10 (Maddening).

Skill ranks are good but could be better. The lack of skill weaknesses would be nice if the game wasn't half over, and he's obviously lacking in class masteries. Really all he could ask for is more authority - or trading his B+ in lances for B+ in Brawling, but then he'd be a copy of Alois. His base speed is awful, but it's only true for one map. At the start of chapter 14 you can class him into a paladin to bring him up to 14. He's also ready to certify as a warrior, which means he's mere steps away from having both versions of wrath. All that's left is picking up vantage and there you go, ready to solo some maps. He's not the only unit that can pull off the build (I mean, Dimitri is unique to the same route and doesn't need to be brought down to half health for the same build), and the others will certainly pull it off sooner than Gilbert, but this is 100% how I would make Gilbert useful if he were drafted onto my roster. I think that's leagues better than my sniper Hanneman or Swordmaster Manuela build suggestions. A good build can salvage a bad character, that's just how this game works. It's just a shame that double wrath fortress knights are really shut down by AM's endgame which is spamming siege tomes at you. He also gets glowing ember, which is maybe good? I've never used it, but any high MT combat art is worth carrying on a unit that's not going to double or likely pick up a combat art that guarantees the double. You could also find inventory space for a pair of training gauntlets which should ramp up his player phase presence a bit even without ever grabbing death blow.

Gilbert is there on chapter 13, which the majority of the potential roster can't say on AM. Even if he never sees combat on that chapter, it's nice to have somebody who will survive if left in enemy ranges (there are no mages on that map), provide rally defense, and even smite to shoot somebody past some forest tiles to either get in range or get to safety. All in all, Gilbert is providing about as much assistance as Seteth is in SS's version of the map, assuming infinite grinding isn't in the picture. But I suppose my experience with that map is rather skewed, because I can only imagine ever playing it as a Byleth solo. I anticipate that Dimitri is potentially fast enough to avoid doubles, but Byleth is certainly unlikely to have that much speed, and is thus padding out his defense against the assassins in any way that he can. There's one word to describe rally defense in this scenario and it's "crucial". Gilbert will provide that rally, but the lack of battle preps hampers what he could potentially provide on offense. He's not equipped with swrodbreaker, tempest lance, or even a lance period. I guess if I were allowed one small change, I'd swap helm splitter for Smash but your best bet is having him lift some gauntlets out of Byleth's convoy. A 100 accuracy weapon with two chances is excellent for chipping such evasive enemies.

Under normal considerations, I would agree Gilbert is a candidate for worst unit overall. Three Houses is a game that doesn't have jagens or even much in the way of pre-promotes, so the way we look at units like Gilbert gets very complicated. His value in the long term depends chiefly on your chosen roster. All I can really say is that he can pretend to be Dedue in the chapters that Dedue is gone. But in a map like Chapter 13, where you don't choose your units, you will take any help you can get so long as they're there in an appropriate class and not underleveled. Refusing Gilbert's help in that context is just foolish. Gilbert is a 4 or a 5 on that map, while other units like Shamir, Dedue,  or Alois are a 0 out of 10 on account of not being there. Even if you do nothing with Gilbert past that map, I still think he's worth 3.0 out of 10. He's passable. Some units like Caspar, Ashe, Dorothea, they spend half the game just becoming passable, and there are less guarantees in their case.

Edited by Glennstavos

I'm getting deja vu; I could've sworn that Gilbert was already rated when we were going through the Blue Lions (since he's only available on the Azure Moon route). 

EDIT: Never mind; I think I'm remembering a thread someone else made asking whether or not Gilbert was useful in any way. 

Edited by vanguard333

2/10, Gilbert is pretty gosh darn bad. He’s not Manuela tier of oh gods bench it immediately but that’s still a good strategy. He does have his uses in chapter 13 though like being sacrificed to the wolves. His bases are not very good in comparison to other characters following a similar class progression path, but 30 defense and 26 strength are serviceable I suppose. 10 luck, 2 speed, 7 res, and 16 charm? Oh boy. Yeah good luck tanking mister fortress knight. His personal lets him take two less damage with a battalion equipped and he joins with a battalion so yay? He also joins with D+ authority. In chapter 13.

Well B+s in lances and axes are nice, as is a C in riding! Has has boons in all of those (plus armor) and no banes, so yay. He’s mainly held back by his atrocious bases, if a magic unit breathes in his direction he dies. Or someone with crit. With his dexterity he also isn’t hitting anything on enemy phase. But the growth is fairly good so there’s that. Joining this late also means he’s lacking in great class masteries that other units will already have so... 2/10.

*Sigh*... Gilbert.

Good Traits

Can become a Paladin or Great Knight very easily due to boons in Lances, Axes, and Riding.

Very decent Strength and Defense at 45% so he can hit moderately hard and tank moderately well. Emphasis on moderately...

No banes anywhere, meaning he can be flexible with enough dedication.

Bad Traits

Is not available anywhere except  the Blue Lion house, where most of your units are physical and can tank better than he can.

Speaking of that, he is also available in Part 2, which means backtracking with him is gonna be a pain in the butt.

If you do Dedue’s Paralogue which almost everybody will do, he will be virtually useless.

Terrible 15% Luck and 10% Res means mean if a mage just sneezes in his direction ,he explodes. Not a good trait to have, especially due to the amount of mages in Blue Lions.

30% in Speed, better than Hanneman but not as good. And being in an Armored class just lowers that to 15%, which is not good. Oh, and enjoy getting doubled by almost every everybody, INCLUDING Armor Knight(Well, not really but catch the my drift.)

Overall Score: 2/10 (Personal Bias: 1.5/10 because he left Annette the sweetheart behind) If you truly want to use him or you didn’t do My bro’s paralogue, then he can used. If not, just slap him on Dimitri or Annette and call it a day.

Edited by GaryGaryGary

Gilbert is bad.  Just how bad mostly is going to turn on philosophical ideas about rankings more so than Gustave himself.

In general, these ranking threads have presumed a somewhat optimized, serious playthrough.  Let's set that aside for a moment and suppose we're playing through super-casually, like a first-timer who hasn't read the guide.  You're not optimizing your Prof XP intake early.  You're not using meals or gifts to keep motivation high.  You don't recognize that the boring beginner and intermediate class skills are actually the useful ones, instead happily taking shiny but mostly niche skills.  You change skill training belatedly for a few characters after changing your mind or remembering you need a skill a little late.  You rescue Flayn ASAP rather than let her rot underground for a month while Manuela slowly bleeds out.  This is the set of assumptions that is going to tend to make a pre-leveled character stronger, right?  And yet, Gilbert is still bad under such assumptions.  You can't possibly still have D+ Authority on any unit you've been using at all this late.  Fortress Knight is not a great class, but if you wanted one, Dedue is right there, or maybe even some off-build of Alois.  We're mostly scoring on sheer stats if we assume poor skill training, but Gilbert's stats are also uninspiring, featuring truly wretched speed, luck, and resistance, yet still not being as good a pure HP/Str/Def front-liner as Raphael.  So he's a character who starts out "bad", and then baking in the most basic of optimization starts making him look "terrible" instead once you bake in the pile of useful skills other characters learned already.

As a side comment, the DLC has arguably made Gilbert worse - in an "optimal" playthrough, Annette's best class is flat-out Dark Flier post-DLC, in my opinion.  Something that Gilbert actually is useful for is enforced quality time with his daughter, making up for lost years with a damage boost, but if she's a DF or WR/WL, he can't actually adjutant her without qualifying as a Wyvern first himself.  Whoops.  (Granted, maybe WR/WL was where you went with Annette pre-DLC, but Warlock was the more vanilla choice.)

As far as score...  well, Gilbert is very clearly not the absolute worst if doing an overall Fire Emblem series ranking, simply because you can "fix" him and eventually make him useful as described above (double Wrath nonsense etc.), and the FE series has some true stinkers that are just bad at everything, strictly worse than other characters, and don't eventually do something cool if you do level them.  (Insert FE12 Bantu memes here.)  But he's close to as bad as it gets in 3H itself, with the only other arguable competition being *nn*.  The other philosophical question that can help Gilbert is - how much of a ranking is in "choice of characters to use when given an option" and how much is "actually useful in game"?  FE Radiant Dawn Edward is, IMO, not very good, but I will grant he's useful on the very first map where he's a required deploy in a tiny force.  Personally, I would give him exceptionally little credit for this (if he didn't exist, they'd just have rebalanced the map, nothing of value would be lost), but others disagree.  And, if there's ever a map where "some random Fortress Knight" would be useful, Gilbert sure picked the right map to be required for in AM Reunion at Dawn.  Very choke-pointy, all physical units, few other units to help pick up the slack, although he does need to grab a Lance somehow and the existence of #$%^&* Pass on Maddening Thieves messes up his chokepoint-holding abilities sometimes.  Should Gilbert be rewarded for this?  A very little, but not much, IMO.  Note that Ashe got among the worst scores, despite the fact that "optimal" Maddening should probably build Ashe during White Clouds anyway just for Reunion at Dawn, since it's one of the toughest maps in the game and he's required there.  Required is not the same as good.

Non-Adjutant Gilbert collects a 1.5 from me.  Baseline of 1, +0.25 for being useful meatshield on Reunion at Dawn, +0.25 for uh building into an okay Great Knight with a lot of catch-up by the very endgame before he gets fried by siege tomes if you insist on building him.

Screw this guy. He’s the only character that actually offends me. I know he has a reason for what he does, but self-hatred isn’t serving anyone. Gah, I need to stop before this turns into a rant about how much I hate him.

Skill Levels:      Boons: B+ Lance and Axe, B Armor, and C Riding. No Banes. D+ base Authority. He starts within 5 Ranks of the Great Knight exam (Armor B -> A, and Riding C -> B+)

Abilities:     Veteran Knight makes him a bit more Tanky. He starts with Rally Defense, but that is of no use on him. He gets Battalion Wrath at C. Crit build good, etc.

Arts:     He has more Lance Arts that Axe Arts. Odd. Shatter Slash is good for the occasion tough Boss or Monster while Spike is slightly better that Smash. At A Lances, he gets Glowing Ember, which does pretty good damage

Stats:     He’s more or less worse Dedue. 61+55% HP and 30+45% Defense is great bulk. 26+45% Strength is decent. His other stats are mostly irrelevant. Speed (2 Base), Res (7), and Charm (16) are all very bad.

Classes:     Eh, master what you will. Great Knight is his only viable Master Class as he starts at E Brawling. He would’ve liked QR.

The Verdict

He replaces Dedue as your main tank for the 2 Chapters he’s absent. After that, he makes a meh filler Great Knight. 3/10

It's time to asses Gilbert. He's only available on the Azure Moon route. Is it time for Gilbert to hang up his axe or does he have something to offer? This is assuming hard and no dlc.

Gilbert becomes available during the Hunting by Daybreak fight in chapter 13. He comes in as a Fortress Knight at level 26. Thanks to the class bonuses offered by the Fortress Knight class, he starts with 61 HP with a 85% growth. 30 defense with a really high 60% growth. 26 strength with a respectable 55% growth. Even his dex stat at 17 with a 45% growth is okay. But then we get to the bad. 2 speed with a 20% growth...OUCH. 7 resistance with a 10% growth, just as bad. 16 charm with a 40% growth, it's really low at that point in the game. He replaces Dedue at the beginning of part 2 and perhaps for good unless you do Dedue's paralogue early on in part 1. His personal ability Veteran Knight allows him to take 2 less points of damage as long as he has a battalion equipped. Thankfully there are no mages on that map so he may be able to benefit from it. If you have Ashe with him and give him the giant shell to buff his defense and a silver shield he should be able to tank a few hits for you.

He has a boon in lanes, axes, heavy armor and riding. No weaknesses to speak of. So he is quite flexible. He already comes with lance and axe rank B+, this means he already has swordbreaker and lancebreaker available to him. If only he had both of them initially equipped. He also starts with Authority rank D+ which is to be honest, way too low at this point of the game. Even Alois starts off with Authority rank C. Gilbert already has Heavy Armor at rank B which means he also comes with weight -3 like Alois. He also gets Smite which is a upgraded version of Shove. He also gets riding at rank C so he has Dexterity +4. He already gets Shatter Slash which is nice for lowering a enemy's defense, then he gets Glowing Ember at rank A which gets boosted pending on his defense stat. For axes, he already gets Spike which is good. He also gets Rally Defense so that might be okay at times.

As far as class options, if you ever plan on using him, you'll have to reclass him as a Brigand for Death Blow and that will take a while even with a Knowledge. He could also go Paladin which would improve his speed in comparison as staying as a Fortress Knight. Aegis would help out his very poor res. But only if it triggers. His only viable master class would be Great Knight. Best defense boost in the game, but that is not saying a lot considering that on Hard and even more so on Maddening mode power creep rears its ugly head. He gets Battalion Wrath at Authority rank C, so he could feasibly pull off a wrath set. He could go Hero if you want Defiant Strength along with it. But honestly, he would be better off as a Guard Adjutant for someone like Dimitri or Annette.

Overall, I feel Gilbert is really 3.5/10 unit. He could pull off a tiny niche but beyond that, he doesn't really contribute as much as you would hope he would.

2 hours ago, SnowFire said:

the FE series has some true stinkers that are just bad at everything, strictly worse than other characters, and don't eventually do something cool if you do level them.  (Insert FE12 Bantu memes here.

Bold: I see this and raise you Lyre. Or Wendy. Anyway, is FE12 Bantu really that bad?

6 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Bold: I see this and raise you Lyre. Or Wendy. Anyway, is FE12 Bantu really that bad?

Well, you apparently rated Bantu a 0/10 in 2012, so you tell me?

More seriously,  Bantu is doubled and one-rounded by everything on his join map on the harder difficulties, and even if he somehow is fed kills, he has harsh stat caps meaning that even if force-fed stat-boosters to overcome bad stat growths, he's still horrible.  Finally, his weapon is very limited.  Not even close to the same tier as Gilbert.  

L3xandr3: As a tiny nitpick, Dedue is gone 3 maps (Reunion, Garreg Mach defense, Ailell) not 2, and arrives without a battalion on the 4th map (Bridge) so won't really be at full strength there.

1 hour ago, SnowFire said:

Well, you apparently rated Bantu a 0/10 in 2012, so you tell me?

More seriously,  Bantu is doubled and one-rounded by everything on his join map on the harder difficulties, and even if he somehow is fed kills, he has harsh stat caps meaning that even if force-fed stat-boosters to overcome bad stat growths, he's still horrible.  Finally, his weapon is very limited.  Not even close to the same tier as Gilbert.  

I'd still say Wendy and Lyre are worse. Wendy is an armored knight in a game where armored knights are at their worst, due to Binding Blade being a Horse Emblem game. Also, she joins at level 1 with vomit tier bases and joins right before the Western Isles, which are dominated by axe users, as if that wasn't bad enough. Lyre is a laguz, which already means the deck is stacked against her. Even worse, she is a cat, which means she reverts quickly. And even when transformed, she's no all-star in combat, as she struggles to kill ANYTHING (Fun fact: her base attack when transformed is 22. Which is the same as Mist). What's more, even if she does get a kill, which is a tall order between her poor offense and cat gauge, her being a laguz means she levels up slowly. Making matters worse, this is the same game with royal laguz that render most non-royals obsolete.

Long story short, Bantu sucks, but these two take sucking to the next level.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Gilbert, considered on AM Maddening.

The Bad

Gilbert has the least availability of any unit on his only route. He isn't playable until post-skip, so he'll be doing you no favors before chapter 13. And even when he does show up, as a green unit in chapter 5, it's arguably to your detriment (don't mind me, just gonna wonder into the range of an enemy Archer, thus triggering all the enemies to start moving). Oh, right, he is in chapter 13. But even there, he's not very good. On Maddening, he loses nearly half his health from a single round of combat with an enemy Sniper. But at least he can take advantage of the good weapons, mastery skills, and high-leveled battalion he... doesn't show up with. Moving on.

As stats go, he's an Armor Knight, through and through, which brings with it a few weak points. Note that these are based on his starting appearance, as a level 26 Fortress Knight. First off, his Speed (2 + 0.20x) is outright pathetic. He's doubled by everything, even enemy Armors and slow monsters. This can be mended somewhat by reclassing (even certifying as a Warrior will boost his bases), but he'll never be anything approaching fast. His Magic, at 10 + 0.20x, is also a sluggard. And his Resistance (7 + 0.10x) is even worse, so keep him away from the mages. His Luck (10 + 0.15x) is miserable, too, because it's not like a defensive unit would want to avoid being crit, right?

Looking at proficiencies, he's one of the few, the proud, the baneless. That is, a unit who has no weak areas. But with how late he shows up, joining at E-rank and neutral is arguably worse than having a deficiency since day 1. He starts at E in Reason and Faith, like Alois, cementing him as a unit who has no business using magic. He also has an E in Flight, which means that the Wyvern classes, while doable, will take a bit of training for him to get into. And he starts at E in three weapon areas (Swords, Bows, Gauntlets), so any build specializing in these will... take a ton of work, at the very least. Oh yeah, and his Authority is D+. That's nigh-on unforgivable at this point in the game - even Alois, who joined two chapters earlier, had the decency to show up with C.

What else? Well, his spell lists are super short, and not very good (Yes, Thoron is a good spell. No, Thunder + Thoron does not a "good Reason list" make). Ward, too, can be nice for a laugh. He has no Crest, so if you thought about giving him the Aegis Shield to help him take a hit or two, think again. So, what does this absentee papa have going for him?

The Good

Honestly, quite a few things. Having "Armor Knight stats" cuts both ways. His HP (61 + 0.85x) and Defense (30 + 0.60x) work in tandem to make for one of the physically bulkiest units this game offers you. And while these stats are bolstered by being in Fortress Knight, even when reclassed, he'll be decently survivable. His Strength, too, is rather solid, at 26 + 0.55x, letting him deal good hits - and, with a Brave Weapon equipped, often one-rounding. His Dexterity (17 + 0.45) is fine, and his Charm (16 + 0.40) is bland and inoffensive.

Back in proficiencies, for all his low starting points, he has some good ranks as well. He comes with B+ in both Axes and Lances, giving him a good Prowess with either type. And he brings B Armor, and C Riding, to the table. Oh yeah, all of these are his boons, so he won't have much trouble climbing even higher. As for classes, Great Knight seems obvious - given a little Riding, he can become more mobile and gain Lancefaire, but at a slight cost to survivability. And Paladin has even better movement, at the cost of bulk and Axefaire. Or he can raise his Flight from the ground up, and take to the skies in Wyvern classes. War Master is... probably achievable, if you're willing to put him in Gauntlets from jointime. Or he can do well just by staying as a Fortress Knight - get his Authority up, give him a defensive battalion. As for earlier masteries, Soldier, Fighter, and Brigand are all considerable, but he comes so late that it's hard to get them without grinding.

Considering his other tools, he gets some interesting combat arts. He joins with Shatter Slash, which debuffs the target's Defense, and Spike, which I maintain is a better Smash. Train his Lance rank up to A, though, and he gets Glowing Ember. This is a really cool one for Gilbert, as it uses his Defense stat to boost Might. With a higher-Mt lance in hand, this can seriously help his damage output. Another neat trick he can pull is Rally Defense, in case he's not the one who'll be taking attacks in short order. Finally, his personal reduces the damage he takes by 2 when leading a battalion (always nice for the defense stack).

The Verdict

I'll shoot straight here - Gilbert was one of my favorite units to use in Part II of AM Maddening. When fast physical units with moderate Attack abound (namely, Assassins and Grapplers), I found a defensive tank to be invaluable. Most of my units couldn't take a round with these foes, but they crashed against Gilbert like ripples on an uncaring stone cliff. Well, with a Shield equipped. And a stronger battalion. If you want anything good out of Gilbert, it'll take work (in Authority, weapon ranks, movement types, etc.). And there are certain curses (awful Speed, Resistance, and Luck) that he'll never escape. Not to mention, his total absence (as a playable unit) in part I. It's not just Annette who was missing you. He's fun to use, but there are so many things wrong with him. I don't feel like I could rate him any higher than a 3 out of 10.

Something interesting they could have done to salvage him would be making Wary Fighter his personal skill. Being able to tank without getting doubled would bring a really nice niche to the table in a game where that's not possible, well outside of Quick Riposte, but that's late game anyway...then again Gilbert is pretty late game too. Quick Riposte is also purely enemy phase though. It'd also suit well just thematically with his character.

Gilbert, based on AM Maddening:

Pros:

- He can uh ... bait some enemies for you in ch.13 and be an adjutant bot later.

- Has passable base Def, Hp, Str and can reclass to Paladin asap and promote to Great Knight later if you truly wish to use him as a combat unit.

Cons:

- Worst availability in the game and joins as garbage 4 mov Fortress Knight in one of the hardest map on Maddening.

- Luck, Res and especially Spd are pathetically low, he gets obliterated by mages and doubled even by enemy Fortress Knight which are the slowest enemies on Maddening.

- D+ Authority at this point in the game is unacceptable and his Charm is no where high enough to justify grinding his Authority rank,

- Learn 0 powerful combat arts unlike other late joiners (Alios and Seteth).

Overall Gilbert gets a 1.5/10 from me solely for being an instant adjutant bot, as a unit he gets outclassed by every single physical combat units in that route and joins at a point where you probably have multiple dodgetank Fliers in your army who are better at both tanking and killing.

Edited by Ari Chan

So, as somebody who doesn't have the DLC and finished their CF run before Jeritza came out, I have no more ratings to provide. So I'll compile them to see how well they fit into a scale:

Spoiler

10.0 Byleth (either gender)

9.5 Dimitri

9.0 N/A

8.5 Leonie, Edelgard

8.0 Alois, Seteth, Felix, Petra

7.5 N/A

7.0 Hilda, Ingrid, Linhardt

6.5 Dedue

6.0 Shamir, Cyril, Bernadetta

5.5 Marianne

5.0 Flayn, Lysithea, Ferdinand

4.5 Ignatz, Mercedes

4.0 Raphael, Lorenz,

3.5 Annette, Ashe, Caspar, Hubert

3.0 Gilbert

2.5 Manuela

2.0 N/A (this is where SS! Catherine would go. I just didn't think it was fair to factor in her performance for Catherine's real rating.)

1.5 Hanneman, SS!Hilda (this is where SS!Hilda would go. I just didn't think it was fair to factor in her performance for Hilda''s real rating.)

1.0 -N/A (but this is where SS!Cyril would go. I just didn't think it was fair to factor in his performance for Cyril's real rating.)

unrated: Catherine, Sylvain.

If I could make 0.5 adjustments up or down, Hilda, Annette, Petra, and Hubert would go down, while Caspar, Felix, Raphael would go up. The only rating I disagree with more than that is Bernadetta, since I don't think I considered where more conventional snipers would go, and I would probably drop her to a 5.0. If I had to shoot from the hip on where Catherine and Sylvain would have went, I think I'd give both a 5.5

This was fun. See you guys a couple years from now when I trash more waifus in Fire Emblem Echoes of the Holy War.

Edited by Glennstavos