If you could add a love interest to Smash as a fighter, who would it be and why?

Lord_Brand

Probably should have waited until February for this one, but what the heck, it's on my mind now. If you could add a canon love interest for an existing fighter in Smash as a new fighter, who would it be and why? Take note the character in question has to be canonically a love interest, or at least a love interest candidate in the case of games where you have multiple options, and there has to be confirmed mutual interest between the two characters, not just a one-sided crush or ambiguous reciprocation (so Princess Ruto doesn't count, for example). For ease of reference, here's a list of fighters with established love interests who have yet to be added as fighters:

• Donkey Kong - Candy Kong
  • Diddy Kong - Dixie Kong
  • Fox McCloud - Krystal
  • Marth - Caeda
  • Lucina - Inigo, Brady, Gerome, Laurent, Yarne, Morgan
  • Roy - Lilina, Cecilia
  • Chrom - Sully, Sumia, Maribelle, Olivia
  • Robin - See Robin's list of marriage options in Awakening
  • Corrin - See Corrin's list of marriage options in Fates
  • Shulk - Fiora
  • Pac-Man - Ms. Pac-Man
  • Cloud - Tifa
  • Richter - Annette
  • Terry - Blue Mary

As for me, my choice would of course be Krystal, because I like the idea of another staff user, I like the idea of finally giving the Star Fox series a female rep, I'd like to add a stage and music from SFA, and dagnabbit, I'm furry for her. Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing most of these characters added at some point, particularly Caeda and Tifa.

Tifa.

A full on fast brawl and grappler? Someone who'd have different limit breaks? Could give Little Mac a run for his money because she could have some air game? Sure.

Also Dolphin Fist could get in the game.

(Another FE rep would be salt bomba (though either Caeda or Lilina would be the best bets, I suspect we'd get entrants from other games), Annette would not be a great pick compared to her sister, similar for Candy but hey who knows?, Ms, Pac Man would at best be a close echo, similar for Dixie (though she has the hair twirl), Krystal is still a trophy which hurts her chances. Fiora I will say I have no idea on, same with Blue Mary.)

Out of that list probably the Morgans because 1) They'd make perfect Robin echoes, and 2) They are my children and I love them (But I paired my Morgan with Nah...

Um...)

Dixie Kong. I mean, she's the star of DKC3 after being Diddy Kong's ally in DKC2 and has proven herself her own heroine, capable fighter, and a fan-favorite.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

Lalum, love of Roy's life. None of her attacks deal damage. Instead they're all various different taunts in which she dances. Only like Bayonetta she can move out her taunts instantly, and she's super fast with great dodging ability. Basically the ultimate troll character! Once she's created pressure will mount and they'll have no choice but to returning taunting to online play.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

I knew I was remembering it wrong.

I'd probably say Dixie besides, she hasn't even gotten a trophy, why?

Dixie has gotten a trophy in every game that has featured trophies, plus she's a spirit in Ultimate.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Dixie has gotten a trophy in every game that has featured trophies, plus she's a spirit in Ultimate.

Sorry, I meant assist trophy. I took a look around and I didn't see any hint she had that.

Just now, Dayni said:

Sorry, I meant assist trophy. I took a look around and I didn't see any hint she had that.

No she's never been an assist trophy, though that would actually hurt her chances of getting in as DLC at this point.

Fire Emblem kind of have a lot of options with this since you could technically pick anyone from Awakening, Fates and Three Houses do to the nature of Robin, Corrin and Byleth. My answer would still be Anna since she wouldn't be just another sword wielding lord. Would be interesting to have more FE classes represented in Smash and due to being a Trickster she could be a magic wielding thief using daggers and staves.

For a non-FE example I guess Makoto Niijima from Persona 5. A fist punching female fighter with a motorcycle shaped Persona would be interesting to see.

Since my questions weren't answered but people who replied after me mentioned Marin and love-interests of DLC fighters, I may as well list which ones I would add:

1. Edelgard: I still maintain that it would've been better if she had been chosen than Byleth, since she's not only a more unique fighter but also the real mascot of Three Houses. She would be a small and heavy unit (thus very difficult to send flying), and she would be armed with axes, dark magic and possibly battalions either for a specific special move or for her final smash. 

2. Marin: She would be a fragile speedster. She uses various items from Link's Awakening that are not part of any Link's arsenal, including: the magical rod, magic powder, pegasus boots, and the shovel. She can also sing the three songs from Link's Awakening, each with a different effect:

1. Manbo's Mambo allows her to teleport, similarly to Farore's Wind
  2. Frog's Song of Soul summons the Flying Rooster for an attack
  3. The Ballad of the Wind Fish awakens the Wind Fish for her final smash

She can also use Bow-Wow for her smash attacks, and her grab is the Trendy Game Crane.

3. Tifa: This one is mainly for the obvious moveset potential.

On 11/15/2020 at 7:24 PM, vanguard333 said:

What about Marin? Why is she not on the list?

Also, would the love-interest of a DLC Fighter count?

Well, we never receive confirmation that Link reciprocates her feelings. Plus there is Zelda. But nice moveset suggestion for Marin, all the same.

Of course. I listed one myself.

Edited by Lord_Brand

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

Um, dude? Dixie was introduced as Diddy's girlfriend from the get-go. It very much is a thing.

The premise of my joke:

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Oh no. Not the shipping wars. Not the shipping wars!

is rejecting a canon relationship and answering instead with a non-canon one. Jeanne should be in smash though. That part's no joke.

3 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The true answer of class. Never played King of Fighter's but I'll second this.

Um...it's Street Fighter, but ok.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Edelgard: the real mascot of Three Houses.

See, this is why I can never play that game.

9 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

See, this is why I can never play that game.

I didn't mean it like that; I simply meant that she got the most focus: the game's theme song is about her, she probably appears more often (and more prominently) in the trailers than Byleth does, etc. Does that make sense?

27 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Well, we never receive confirmation that Link reciprocates her feelings. Plus there is Zelda. But I guess I could add Marin to the list. Nice moveset suggestion for her, by the way.

I suppose, though there is a fair bit of implication, and Link's Awakening is possibly the only (or at least the first) early Zelda game to make a romantic tone very overt, so I figured that she'd count.

Also, thanks, both for answering my questions and for what you said about my moveset suggestion for Marin. 

Edited by vanguard333