Is there ever any interest in link arena?

OriginalRaisins

Ever since I first saw the feature, I was always intrigued by the link arena. It's very strange and not like FE at all but I like the idea of pitting teams of endgame units up against each other. It also helps that my favorite game is Sacred Stones and fe8 is VERY forgiving with creature campaign. That said, it also looks like the kind of thing that people would either be completely disinterested in or like so much that they'd probably end up solving it.

Were any of you interested in this? If you still are, want to try and do a virtual link cable and fight with teams?

There was a time were people on this site would conduct link arena battles through the forums. It was extremely tedious because we never got around to making a program for it, so all the calculations were done by hand. It was fun, there was definitely interest in it, but the GBA games were fairly bad for such competitive play. Adapting the rules to FE9 units ended up being a lot more interesting.

2 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

There was a time were people on this site would conduct link arena battles through the forums. It was extremely tedious because we never got around to making a program for it, so all the calculations were done by hand. It was fun, there was definitely interest in it, but the GBA games were fairly bad for such competitive play. Adapting the rules to FE9 units ended up being a lot more interesting.

Interesting. Now that there are more romhack and VBAlink tools available, would it be easier to overcome those hurdles? Forum games sound kinda cool though. How did you resolve random events?

19 minutes ago, OriginalRaisins said:

Interesting. Now that there are more romhack and VBAlink tools available, would it be easier to overcome those hurdles? Forum games sound kinda cool though. How did you resolve random events?

We had three people for each match- two contestants and a "host" who handled all the calculations, made the thread, etc. He would use Random.org to randomly generate numbers and, because he was a third party with no interest, we were fine trusting him. There are definitely ways to connect VBAs but I've never dabbled in them.

We used to have these battles in the Drafts section, and the rules thread is still pinned there.

I have only known a few people who actively enjoyed the Link Arena. Since you're not playing on a map, it basically boils down toΒ a kind of card game, but one that requires all players to have a decked out party from a 15-20 hour strategy RPG. Getting the resources and people together to play it is a big hurdle.

In my opinion the feature reeks of "Nintendo requesting a social multiplayer feature inΒ a new game onΒ the recently released GBA to push social virality and to sell link cables", and wouldn't have been there otherwise. My theory is that IS originally wanted to make more involved multiplayer maps but ran out of time, which resulted in the Trial Maps in FE6. Since the Link Arena feature was already in the game, they just included it in the later games because why not. Of course that's just my theory.

That said don't let me stop you if you find people who want to have fun with it!

Edited by gringe

On 11/16/2020 at 2:28 AM, OriginalRaisins said:

Were any of you interested in this? If you still are, want to try and do a virtual link cable and fight with teams?

i always were, and always will be.

sadly, organizing and doing this kind of stuff isn't that easyΒ due to multiple factors, such as different platforms used(either original cartridges - you can forget about it, or pc emulators - probably more reliable, or cellphone emulators - maybe not as much reliable as pc, but who knows) and different save files formats that can't always be shared between programs.

it's always been more of a way to play with the neighborhood kids back in the days, rather than an actual competitive mode for online play and eventually tournaments.

as it is right now, it's more of an optional mode put there just to build teams with your best units in order to challenge an AI(and not a great one either).

Β 

as for the sake of PvP:Β would it be cool to revive the link arena for online matches? yeah, would be pretty nice.

would it actually be doable in a proper way for everyone? i doubt it.