New Heroes: Princess of Bern

Othin

2 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Well, we already know that Galle has a guard lance. So... rip.

And an extra RIP for Fiora, who now has even less reason to be 5* locked. They legit gave her Fury 3 instead of 4 in 2020 like, why?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I had to take some time to get over the ever present disappointment of no Elphin on the banner, but this is still nice.  Galle is the one I am most happy about, even though he is a lance flyer and we have tons of those.  I will pull blue with the tickets but I am skipping since I am low on orbs.

10 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

And an extra RIP for Fiora, who now has even less reason to be 5* locked. They legit gave her Fury 3 instead of 4 in 2020 like, why?

Because one more stage of Fury was too much to handle for Fiora!

1 minute ago, Hilda said:

Because one more stage of Fury was too much to handle for Fiora!

Well, damn. I guess she should’ve been shown more scandalous outfits and this game certainly has no shortage of those and/or behavior to get her fury to level 4.

1 hour ago, EricaofRenais said:

Well I had to take some time to get over the ever present disappointment of no Elphin on the banner, but this is still nice.  Galle is the one I am most happy about, even though he is a lance flyer and we have tons of those.  I will pull blue with the tickets but I am skipping since I am low on orbs.

Yeah. I'm sorry that happened. Fingers crossed that Elffin will make his appearance in Book 5.

It would be amusing if Galle ended up being like kunoichi Hana with a fantastic, well, great offensive spread. It would be awful for Melady, though, since she would literally be the physical version of regular Fiora.

Something like 47 HP, 40 Atk, 37 Spd, 35 Def, and 13 Res. And because we can't have nice things: Ardent Sacrifice, Spd/Res Push 3 as a 4*, and Dull Ranged 3 as a 5*.

5 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Personally, I wish I could have Elena with a skill/weapon like her tome. 🥺 Made something less broken but otherwise similar in "create a unit." I just worry that Elena won't be treated as heronlike even though she (and Mist) are very heronlike in their order-alignment (hence why they can hold the medallion.)

Nit pick, but it's not their order alignment that lets them hold the medallion, it's their order and chaos being in equal balance.

25 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Nit pick, but it's not their order alignment that lets them hold the medallion, it's their order and chaos being in equal balance.

Is that ever said? Because even Yune in RD mentions that Mist reminds her of Ashera (order alignment.)

And I'm pretty sure the reason why the herons can hold it is because they're so orderly as opposed to chaos-y.

Edited by Mercakete

...wait I never looked at the units skills, shoot.

~I'll be honest, you can't make me be excited for Melady. I never liked the idea of Pegasus Flight (it doesn't even look like it works all that well outside of a select few units), and I really don't think a Def-based version will make me change my mind when most units these days average 40 Def. Her lance also just underwhelms me.

~So this is how we finally get Close Def 4... I'm sure Dieck will be perfectly fine, though I personally have no investment in him. I think the defensive nature he has set up by his skills will be decided purely based on how defensive Dieck himself is.

~...still not excited for Merlinus...

~Despite anything I say about Guinevere, I don't actually want her that much... under other circumstances maybe, but the other 3 units on the banner underwhelm me so much that I can't be excited about tome effectiveness and Res stacking. I'm not sure I even want to sparking, I'll just do whatever pulls for Blue I can and then maybe Guin will be on a skill focus banner for Joint Drives or something.

...I know they're probably perfectly good, but I remember not being that excited about Binding Blade units before as well... which is bad, considering not liking a series means you may not have that many units from the series for Allegiance Battles and Limited HB's.

@Mercakete

@Jotari

What Volke says about it:

Spoiler

That's right. Beorc and laguz are made up of two forces: balance and chaos. In this, there is no difference between us. It is the proportion of balance to chaos that determines how much the medallion
affects a person

In this context, I think balance refers to order, rather than an equal ratio of order and chaos.

2 hours ago, Baldrick said:

@Mercakete

@Jotari

What Volke says about it:

Reveal hidden contents

That's right. Beorc and laguz are made up of two forces: balance and chaos. In this, there is no difference between us. It is the proportion of balance to chaos that determines how much the medallion
affects a person

In this context, I think balance refers to order, rather than an equal ratio of order and chaos.

That seems likely actually. Though it is a poular preception that Mist is "Balance" aligned instead of "Order" alligned. When they have quotes like this (also from Volke in the same section)

Compared to other people, the balance within your sister is extremely strong.

It:s not surprising the issue gets muddled. I:d say youre right though and that balance was just a word they used for orer here. The original Japanese term I:ve heard is actually rather difficult to translate as it more equates to "goodness" or something. Light and Dark might have been more accurate translations, but they shot themself in the foot with that by calling Yune a dark god instead of an evil god in Path of Radiance so balance and order were solidfied only in Radiant Dawn even though the concept was there in a more vague sense in Path of Radiance.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

The original Japanese term I:ve heard is actually rather difficult to translate as it more equates to "goodness" or something. Light and Dark might have been more accurate translations, but they shot themself in the foot with that by calling Yune a dark god instead of an evil god in Path of Radiance so balance and order were solidfied only in Radiant Dawn even though the concept was there in a more vague sense in Path of Radiance.

The Japanese terms used for the alignments are 正 (sei) and 負 (fu), which in context simply mean "positive" and "negative" respectively.

Based on Yune's quote, "I am...freedom. Chaos. Transformation. Future. Mystery. I am Yune," the most accurate possible translation would most certainly be "yang" and "yin", considering all of the properties she personifies are associated with yin. However, those translations would not have worked well in the setting of Tellius due to being overwhelmingly Asian in feel.

Within those properties, "order" and "chaos" are the pair that most closely exemplify the other properties as a whole, which is likely the reason they were chosen in the localization.

The word for "dark god", however, is 邪神 (jashin), literally "evil god", the same word used for Duma. This particular distinction is not the same has the distinction of positive and negative, as the pair used here are 聖 (sei) and 邪 (ja), which are "sacred" and "evil". Again in Yune's quotes, she says that neither her nor Ashera are either sacred or evil and implies that those associations are merely a misunderstanding.

Yune's relevant quotes from Heroes are the following (Japanese, English translation, and English localization in that order):

私は自由。私は混沌。私は変化。私は未来。私は謎。私はユンヌ。
I am freedom. I am chaos. I am change. I am future. I am mystery. I am Yune.
I am...freedom. Chaos. Transformation. Future. Mystery. I am Yune.

私は邪神なんかじゃないわ。私は聖でも、邪でもない。
I am not an "evil god". I am neither sacred nor evil.
"Dark god"? No, I'm pretty sure I'm not one of those. I am neither holy nor base, neither angel nor devil.

アスタルテは人の味方じゃないわ。だって、彼女は聖でも邪でもないもの。
Astarte is not on the side of humans. After all, she is neither sacred nor evil.
Ashera is neither kind nor loving to the beings of this world.

Edited by Ice Dragon

33 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

They actually did it!

Merlinus has a neutral base Atk stat of 20 (TWENTY) at 5* lv. 40! Meanwhile he also has a neutral base HP of 50!

Spoiler

And his Forging Bonds accessory is an equally memey horse head:

Image_1116001.png&token=AQAA51-zX9QRZeyT

Also, stats for anyone’s viewing pleasure:

Spoiler

25yjqxpy3qz51.png

Let's see if the stats corroborate or contradict what I said during the reveal:

Spoiler

Guinivere is still the best unit on the banner, but that doesn't mean she's some OP unit that you need. She has incredible Spd/Res with average Atk, low-ish HP and no Def. Meaning she'll make for a good mage/dragon tank but will crumble against anything that hits her paltry Def. Spd superboon means she reaches 49 before factoring any skill, that's good but she's going to need heavy SI to stay on the same Spd tier as Repel tanks, which is kinda risky as those tend to run DC and Guinivere's Atk isn't high enough to one shot them. Hmm...6.5/10

Melady is ugh...High Atk/Def with mediocre Spd, meh HP and no Res. 33 Spd is workable enough to reach a point where you won't get doubled but you're not going to double much stuff, either (and what you can double is very likely to tear you apart because that's how those units work). If you want a flier tank Altena works better, and if you want a mixed phase lance flier Seteth is better. As I said during the trailer, she's more fodder than unit and is here to spook you while you try to get Guinivere. 3/10 with 1 point being for fodder. 

Dieck also fits what I said before. Standard bruiser spread with great Atk, ok Spd, above average Def, average HP, low-ish Res. His Prf and NFU ensure that only other NFU users will be able to deny his guaranteed follow-up so Dieck's going to hit very hard...and that's about it. While he doesn't have any blatant weaknesses, he's still an inferior choice for a Repel tank build when Ninja Hana and her Spd superboon exist. At least he doesn't outclass Officer Hilda completely as she's slightly faster but the Slaying part of his Prf makes him a better Galeforcer. 

The man, The Myth, The LEGEND Merlinus has graced us with his incredibly supreme stat spread that rivals the mightiest warriors and can even stand amongst the gods themselves! Just look at that beefy 50 HP, so T H I C C. Not to overlook his blazing fast 35 Spd, this guy can even outspeed Sonic and Flash combined! His defenses of 31 and 27 means NO ONE will be able to touch this man and deal more than negative dmg, yes you read right, each hit heals Merlinus instead of harming him. What an absolute unit. And saving the best for last is his GARGANTUAN 20 base Atk...OMG, such power, such muscle hides under those robes! Pack it up everyone, Merlinus is the perfect unit and no one else will reach the same heights as him! Not to mention he's such a benevolent god that despite being so OP he still graces us by demoting himself to the 3* pool once his banner ends, such modesty! In case someone doesn't get it, that whole paragraph is sarcasm. Merlinus is trash and offers nothing outside of Sudden Panic memes. 0/10 and I'd give him a negative score if that was a thing

Galle is another free male lance flier to add to the pile. Guard Lance has it's uses so his fodder isn't complete garbage, but outside of that...hoo boy it's bad, really bad. He has higher Res than his peers while keeping high HP/Atk/Def courtesy of Gen 5 BST but he's a very boring unit. Competent, but boring. 3/10

I'm happy Gale has a guard lance since I have a Fiora in my barracks, so I can inherit the lance and Fiora's B skill.

Gale has a similar statspread as Ashnard which could make him become a good enemy phase tank or galeforce unit, but I'm tired of training another lance flyer, even if he has a bit more interesting statspread than the former GHB lance fliers.

I summoned Merlinus +Spd -Atk.

I wanna give him two Fortress skills and a Poison Dagger+ so badly, but... no.

...oh yeah got Melady too, +Def -Res, that's something I suppose... get the two units I specifically DID NOT want...

Edited by Xenomata

4 hours ago, Azuni said:

Merlinus is going to be a godly bonus unit for AR, ideal spread for grabbing aether pots without dying/killing the last enemy, and will be immune to the 70 hp Tactics Room gravity effect.

Maybe as a bonus unit, but as a regular Unit he is kinda a** he cant be on the offense (too low), he cant support properly (because Cav, so he cant run something like IP or other stuff, which makes his high HP kinda moot). I am not sure what the point of this unit is to be honest unless they are going to introduce some zomgwtfbbq skills based on HP.

On 11/16/2020 at 11:35 AM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Yeah. I'm sorry that happened. Fingers crossed that Elffin will make his appearance in Book 5.

The problem with favorites is the disappointment of them not being on a banner.  There is always next time for Elffin to be added and at least the longer I wait the better his stats will be when he is added in the game.

I managed to pull a Guinivere and she is fun I am happy with her.