New Heroes: Princess of Bern

Othin

Just now, EricaofRenais said:

The problem with favorites is the disappointment of them not being on a banner.  There is always next time for Elffin to be added and at least the longer I wait the better his stats will be when he is added in the game.

I managed to pull a Guinivere and she is fun I am happy with her.

I hear you. Four of my top five aren't in the game. And I'm sure if I did a top 20, I'd probably only have about half.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Alexmender said:

In case someone doesn't get it, that whole paragraph is sarcasm. Merlinus is trash and offers nothing outside of Sudden Panic memes. 0/10 and I'd give him a negative score if that was a thing

Unfortunately, he cannot learn Sudden Panic.

I think Merlinus is still pretty good though. He compliments Azama and Wrys in helping training units. Merlinus can debuff and shield the trainee, Azama/Wrys can heal and shield, and the third unit has Valor.

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

Maybe as a bonus unit, but as a regular Unit he is kinda a** he cant be on the offense (too low), he cant support properly (because Cav, so he cant run something like IP or other stuff, which makes his high HP kinda moot). I am not sure what the point of this unit is to be honest unless they are going to introduce some zomgwtfbbq skills based on HP.

He probably is not someone you should take to an actual battle. However, like Azama and Wrys, Merlinus would be great for training units since he can deal chip damage and is unlikely to accidentally kill things. Azama and Wrys are still better for that role in my opinion since staves deal half damage, but Merlinus can debuff and his Atk should still be shitty enough to deal single digit damage with multiple Fortress skills equipped.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Merlinus really should have had a prf weapon with the same effects as Virion's bow. He wouldn't be great, but he'd be something.

I think he is fine as is, but some kind of supportive Weapon would be nice to help train units.

How to use unironically use Merlinus:

Assets: +HP, +Spd, or +Res
Weapon: Bottled Juice+ (for Guard), Minty Cane+ (self-heal if he attacks), Dancer's Fan+ (heal allies if he attacks), Temari+ (debuffer)
Assist: Reposition/Draw Back
Special: Miracle
A-skill: Fortress Def/Res 3, Bracing Stance 3 (if not running Bottled Juice and if not running Temari and/or trying to soak Chill skills)
B-skill: Lull Atk/Spd 3 (denies Atk and Spd buffs on enemies and effective +3 Spd/Def/Res for Merlinus during combat), Mystic Boost 3, Renewal 3, Obstruct 3, Windsweep 3, Watersweep 3
C-skill: Distant Guard, Close Guard, Drive skills, Dagger Valor (if training another dagger unit)
Seal: Distant Guard, Close Guard, Drive seal, Obstruct (if not already using the B-skill), Fortress seal, Phantom Res (if using Temari), Panic Ploy, Renewal

He could also run Shove/Smite+Link or Rally+Ruse(+Feint) skill combinations. He's not going to be doing much outside of bodyblocking, supporting his allies, or soaking Chills. It's a pity he couldn't learn Sudden Panic. And he could bring back the whole pseudo-medic role with double Renewal and Ardent Sacrifice or Reciprocal Aid thanks to his high HP stat (he's an ambulance now!).

I have seen a few suggestions about Merlinus running Disarm Trap but that's a poor use of it when there's Eir and Duo Lyn who are both flying dagger units with respectable offensive stats performing a major role besides destroying traps, not to mention that only 5 units can be on an AR-O team, with at least 3 slots taken up by the bonus unit and Mythic Heroes.

Edited by Roflolxp54

2 hours ago, XRay said:

I think Merlinus is still pretty good though. He compliments Azama and Wrys in helping training units. Merlinus can debuff and shield the trainee, Azama/Wrys can heal and shield, and the third unit has Valor.

He probably is not someone you should take to an actual battle. However, like Azama and Wrys, Merlinus would be great for training units since he can deal chip damage and is unlikely to accidentally kill things. Azama and Wrys are still better for that role in my opinion since staves deal half damage, but Merlinus can debuff and his Atk should still be shitty enough to deal single digit damage with multiple Fortress skills equipped.

I think he is fine as is, but some kind of supportive Weapon would be nice to help train units.

Azama or Wrys is enough for training up units, they can debuff too. I use my +10 Azama for training up units. Block the path and use a Threaten skill or Sabotage skills (yes my Azama is pretty premium), there is no reason to run Merlinus who cant heal and is worse off on debuffing/buffing units then Azama (unless Merlinus attacks). So no, he is not good lol.

There is no reason for him to exist unless they are planning to release some HP based skills or so that could make him immensly better (which i doubt).

1 hour ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Assets: +HP, +Spd, or +Res
Weapon: Bottled Juice+ (for Guard), Minty Cane+ (self-heal if he attacks), Dancer's Fan+ (heal allies if he attacks), Temari+ (debuffer)
Assist: Reposition/Draw Back
Special: Miracle
A-skill: Fortress Def/Res 3, Bracing Stance 3 (if not running Bottled Juice and if not running Temari and/or trying to soak Chill skills)
B-skill: Lull Atk/Spd 3 (denies Atk and Spd buffs on enemies and effective +3 Spd/Def/Res for Merlinus during combat), Mystic Boost 3, Renewal 3, Obstruct 3, Windsweep 3, Watersweep 3
C-skill: Distant Guard, Close Guard, Drive skills, Dagger Valor (if training another dagger unit)
Seal: Distant Guard, Close Guard, Drive seal, Obstruct (if not already using the B-skill), Fortress seal, Phantom Res (if using Temari), Panic Ploy, Renewal

He could also run Shove/Smite+Link or Rally+Ruse(+Feint) skill combinations. He's not going to be doing much outside of bodyblocking, supporting his allies, or soaking Chills. It's a pity he couldn't learn Sudden Panic. And he could bring back the whole pseudo-medic role with double Renewal and Ardent Sacrifice or Reciprocal Aid thanks to his high HP stat (he's an ambulance now!).

I have seen a few suggestions about Merlinus running Disarm Trap but that's a poor use of it when there's Eir and Duo Lyn who are both flying dagger units with respectable offensive stats performing a major role besides destroying traps, not to mention that only 5 units can be on an AR-O team, with at least 3 slots taken up by the bonus unit and Mythic Heroes.

you basicly just listet what i have on my Azama. Who can heal and prolly has better bulk then Merlinus (and better buffing capabilites). The only advantage i see are repositional skills and 3 movement, which are neglected by all the drawbacks.

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

prolly has better bulk then Merlinus (and better buffing capabilites).

Merlinus has 7 HP, 9 spd, and 2 res for 1 def.

2 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

I think his best set is Goodie Boot, Repo/Swap, Bracing Stance 3, Obstruct/Lull/Mystic Boost, and Smokes.

Staff units have access to Gravity, Dazzling Staff and more reliable healing for PP support/disruption, so I would focus on his EP support/disruption.

2 hours ago, Hilda said:

Merlinus who cant heal and is worse off on debuffing/buffing units then Azama (unless Merlinus attacks)

He can run Ardent Sacrifice or Reciprocal Aid for healing. Merlinus can also Sabotage and Threaten in addition to his dagger debuffs.

5 hours ago, XRay said:

There goes that one niche he could've excelled at. 

I don't know, for me training units is as simple as giving them Daylight, Close/Distant Defense seal depending on map and having using Tactics and Close/Distant Guard seals for the supports with the obligatory Valor unit if available. Outside of some healers most units are self-sufficient enough to clear the training maps with the support I mentioned (maybe a Physic+ healer as insurance if the trainee is so frail Daylight can't keep them healthy). 

The two training maps that setup doesn't work are the one with armors and The Workout, but for those going offensive with two dancers+Valor/healer is more than enough. It requires more effort than getting the formation on turn 1 and pressing "End turn" until the map's over, though. Although I'd argue 5 minutes of actively grinding those maps to max level a unit is nothing

So yeah, Merlinus is really bad. The only thing I can see him doing "well" is facetanking a L!Azura or Mirabilis on AR-O to let you get the pots easily, but you only have 2 free slots on an offense team (1 if you run triple Mythics), rare weeks where an offense Mythic itself is a bonus unit aside, and using that slot for Merlinus is too costly when you could be running M!Corrin/B!Lucina/Flayn/secondary DPS/etc. 

53 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I don't know, for me training units is as simple as giving them Daylight, Close/Distant Defense seal depending on map and having using Tactics and Close/Distant Guard seals for the supports with the obligatory Valor unit if available. Outside of some healers most units are self-sufficient enough to clear the training maps with the support I mentioned (maybe a Physic+ healer as insurance if the trainee is so frail Daylight can't keep them healthy). 

The two training maps that setup doesn't work are the one with armors and The Workout, but for those going offensive with two dancers+Valor/healer is more than enough. It requires more effort than getting the formation on turn 1 and pressing "End turn" until the map's over, though. Although I'd argue 5 minutes of actively grinding those maps to max level a unit is nothing

I avoid using Daylight since it gives extra Exp while leveling up, which makes gathering SP less stamina efficient. Even once they reach level 40 though, I still avoid using self healing skills since I can use staff units for healing so I can give staff units SP too at the same time.

I have given a Valor skill to almost every Weapon class's Dancer/Singer. Makes training easier with an extra slot for another trainer.

54 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

So yeah, Merlinus is really bad. The only thing I can see him doing "well" is facetanking a L!Azura or Mirabilis on AR-O to let you get the pots easily, but you only have 2 free slots on an offense team (1 if you run triple Mythics), rare weeks where an offense Mythic itself is a bonus unit aside, and using that slot for Merlinus is too costly when you could be running M!Corrin/B!Lucina/Flayn/secondary DPS/etc. 

I do not think anyone is seriously going to bring him into actual combat. I do not think most players would consider bringing Azama or Wrys into actual combat either.

I think it is nice to have a few low Atk units dedicated for training.

@Ice Dragon @Jotari @Baldrick

Thanks for clarifying all that! Yeah, I agree, and the whole yin/yang thing is super accurate, too (not sure why I never noticed it consciously before.) So, Mist and her mom have very high "yin" (Ashera) which is why they can take the super-chaos-booster without being thrown into an overly-chaotic state, just like the herons (which, if you think about it, is interesting since I think the Laguz were made by Yune's half and the Beorc were made by Ashera's half.) Seems like both tend to be somewhat balanced in how much yin and yang they have, though, with a few extreme exceptions (like Mist, Elena, and the herons. Reyson is trying so hard to be chaotic, though. X3)

8 hours ago, Mercakete said:

@Ice Dragon @Jotari @Baldrick

Thanks for clarifying all that! Yeah, I agree, and the whole yin/yang thing is super accurate, too (not sure why I never noticed it consciously before.) So, Mist and her mom have very high "yin" (Ashera) which is why they can take the super-chaos-booster without being thrown into an overly-chaotic state, just like the herons (which, if you think about it, is interesting since I think the Laguz were made by Yune's half and the Beorc were made by Ashera's half.) Seems like both tend to be somewhat balanced in how much yin and yang they have, though, with a few extreme exceptions (like Mist, Elena, and the herons. Reyson is trying so hard to be chaotic, though. X3)

Ashera and Yune hd nothing to do with the creation of laguz and beorc. Aahunera created primitive life forms that eventually evolved into Zunama (or something resembling that name) which branched in evolution to the beorc and laguz.

Summoned Guinivere with +Spd and promoted Galle to 5☆, and upgraded and merged the other two Galle copies. I'd like to try and get Dieck and Melady, but it already took more orbs than I'd wanted to summon Guinivere. I'll hold off and wait for reruns.

Also, turns out I've been pronouncing Galle's name wrong for years, ha.

I knew I was forgetting something. They should have went with Ellen as a banner unit since she serves Guinevere. Would have been nice to get Trilemma in the regular summoning pool and let Live to Serve be the 4* skill if they wanted to make her the demote and keep Distant Guard to 5*. 

1 hour ago, Flying Shogi said:

I knew I was forgetting something. They should have went with Ellen as a banner unit since she serves Guinevere. Would have been nice to get Trilemma in the regular summoning pool and let Live to Serve be the 4* skill if they wanted to make her the demote and keep Distant Guard to 5*. 

Ignoring the TT of Galle, this banner also consists entirely of characters from Binding Blade Chapter 2. Melady shows up in the plot, Guinevere is rescued here from Bern at the end, Merlinus becomes Roy's wrongvisor, and Dieck (+Peg & Two Axes) joins up. Elen is the one other character that first shows up here.

I actually don't think it was a super great idea to put in two female characters on this banner, tbh. Considering how much Heroes likes its waifus, using up both Guinevere and Melady on the same banner means that there are less female characters they could put on future banners. Which means either we don't get BB banners anymore, or we start getting alts of female characters on the new heroes banners again. Because we know they're not going to make a banner with all-guys.

And, Melady kiiiiiind of got fucked over with Guinevere in the banner, too. Like, she is popular enough to have carried the banner on her own and ended up being the "this one really should have demoted" 5-star instead. I really wish they would've only used one of Melady or Guinevere and put in another male character in the other's place instead.

18 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I actually don't think it was a super great idea to put in two female characters on this banner, tbh. Considering how much Heroes likes its waifus, using up both Guinevere and Melady on the same banner means that there are less female characters they could put on future banners. Which means either we don't get BB banners anymore, or we start getting alts of female characters on the new heroes banners again. Because we know they're not going to make a banner with all-guys.

Yeah, Binding Blade only has five females left: crusty old lady (Niime), “oh yeah you exist” (Cath), butch archer (Dorothy), nondescript cleric (Elen), and the rescue bot (Juno). None of these girls have past 1,000 total CYL votes (though Niime, Cath, and Dorothy are all in the 900 range).

So with such a stellar selection there, I’m expecting the next FE6 banner to either have an alt of a popular female (like Lilina or Fae) or it gets used to promote the latest flavor of the month FEH waifu.

31 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

And, Melady kiiiiiind of got fucked over with Guinevere in the banner, too. Like, she is popular enough to have carried the banner on her own and ended up being the "this one really should have demoted" 5-star instead. I really wish they would've only used one of Melady or Guinevere and put in another male character in the other's place instead.

I think the reasoning is that that Melady and Guinivere are closely associated, so having them together supports a theme and could be worked into Forging Bonds.

6 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah, Binding Blade only has five females left: crusty old lady (Niime), “oh yeah you exist” (Cath), butch archer (Dorothy), nondescript cleric (Elen), and the rescue bot (Juno). None of these girls have past 1,000 total CYL votes (though Niime, Cath, and Dorothy are all in the 900 range).

So with such a stellar selection there, I’m expecting the next FE6 banner to either have an alt of a popular female (like Lilina or Fae) or it gets used to promote the latest flavor of the month FEH waifu.

Four FE6 banners would be enough to include every missing character who got 100+ votes in CYL4.

But yeah, OCs are another option. Regular-banner alts are hopefully once again gone for the foreseeable future.

24 minutes ago, Othin said:

I think the reasoning is that that Melady and Guinivere are closely associated, so having them together supports a theme and could be worked into Forging Bonds.

I mean ... I get that, but Ellen is also closely associated with Guinevere and not present, and Zeiss is treated as if he's canonically fought and killed rather than recruited even though most recruitable characters are treated as if they were recruited??? Not to mention he has connections with Melady and Galle, who are on this banner. I understand that this banner has a theme, but it's quite the mess and other characters would've also fit the theme. I would've preferred if Guinevere was saved for another banner and they put Zeiss in as a red sword wyvern instead.

10 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I mean ... I get that, but Ellen is also closely associated with Guinevere and not present, and Zeiss is treated as if he's canonically fought and killed rather than recruited even though most recruitable characters are treated as if they were recruited??? Not to mention he has connections with Melady and Galle, who are on this banner. I understand that this banner has a theme, but it's quite the mess and other characters would've also fit the theme. I would've preferred if Guinevere was saved for another banner and they put Zeiss in as a red sword wyvern instead.

Melady is more popular than Zeiss and Ellen, and I think she has closer connections to Guinivere. And if they wanted to put Guinivere on a banner without Melady or Ellen, who would she be associated with?

I read the remarks about Zeiss as suggesting this is Melady from between when she's recruited and when he is. Which is a pretty narrow window, to be fair.

12 minutes ago, Othin said:

Melady is more popular than Zeiss and Ellen, and I think she has closer connections to Guinivere. And if they wanted to put Guinivere on a banner without Melady or Ellen, who would she be associated with?

I read the remarks about Zeiss as suggesting this is Melady from between when she's recruited and when he is. Which is a pretty narrow window, to be fair.

I'll be honest, they could add Guinevere on a banner without putting in any other characters she has close connections to and it'd be fine. Not every banner has a clear theme and there are some banners where characters are added together with no rhyme or reason.

The recent Fates banner with Lilith, Rinkah, Midori, and Forrest would be one of those. None of them have anything to do with each other besides being Fates characters. They don't originate from the same country, they're not from the same "generation", and Lilith isn't even playable. But they were still on the banner together and it worked. The Awakening banner is also pretty random, even excluding Mirabilis. Really, the only connection you could make is between Emmeryn and Gangrel, and maybe Mustafa as a stretch. And the Dread Isle banner had Rath (and GHB Heath) who had nothing to do with the theme at all.

Even without anyone closely associated with her, Guinevere could've still been on a banner and I don't think people would really think too hard about it.

EDIT: I might need to read the dialogue again, but Melady sounded like she fought against Zeiss and had to kill him or something. I've only played FE6 once, is there any point in the game where Melady and Zeiss could meet and fight before he's recruited?

Edited by Sunwoo

I'd be willing to bet that in the next Binding Blade banner, whenever and if ever that may be, we'll get both Zeiss and Elen. They've both been namedropped, and both seem to be noticeable omissions now that their other connections are in the game. It'd give them a lady to put on the banner, as well as a semi-popular BB character with Zeiss. If they still aren't confident with that, they could have Elffin accompany them; if Serenes is anything to go by, a lot of BB fans want him. Murdock could round out the GHB, and Douglas could come as Elffin's accompaniment.

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

EDIT: I might need to read the dialogue again, but Melady sounded like she fought against Zeiss and had to kill him or something. I've only played FE6 once, is there any point in the game where Melady and Zeiss could meet and fight before he's recruited?

No. I think Zeiss makes a brief appearance in Ch.14 (the desert map) but he and Melady don't interact there. In Ch.16 Zeiss joins by having Melady talk to him, but there's no event in which Melady has to kill Zeiss. You're probably thinking of Galle, who appears in Ch.21 as an enemy and Melady can talk to him to trigger a conversation, even though you can't recruit Galle (but I think the convo causes him to leave the map? I forgot.).

It's also possible you're thinking of an event battle in which Zephiel nearly kills Cecilia, which happens in the map Melady joins.

6 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'd be willing to bet that in the next Binding Blade banner, whenever and if ever that may be, we'll get both Zeiss and Elen. They've both been namedropped, and both seem to be noticeable omissions now that their other connections are in the game. It'd give them a lady to put on the banner, as well as a semi-popular BB character with Zeiss. If they still aren't confident with that, they could have Elffin accompany them; if Serenes is anything to go by, a lot of BB fans want him. Murdock could round out the GHB, and Douglas could come as Elffin's accompaniment.

I hope they'd fit Niime and/or Gonzales in there somewhere. They seem to be more popular than any of those, and Niime in particular could give us the last missing divine weapon.

14 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Summoned Guinivere with +Spd and promoted Galle to 5☆, and upgraded and merged the other two Galle copies. I'd like to try and get Dieck and Melady, but it already took more orbs than I'd wanted to summon Guinivere. I'll hold off and wait for reruns.

Also, turns out I've been pronouncing Galle's name wrong for years, ha.

What, is it galley? Gal lay? I doubt it's actually Gale even though that makes sense with the whole riding a dragon thing.