Conquest chapter 9 - what am I doing wrong?

------

I feel like I'm missing something here. I've done this mission a bunch of times now using the same basic strategy, but I can't seem to figure out how to approach the boss without losing anyone to the reinforcements or his two personal archers. Everything goes fine up until that point, I start off by splitting Niles and Odin off from the rest of the group to take the northern entrance and grab the Rescue staff. Meanwhile Corrin and co. head to the southern entrance to recruit Nyx, and Azura makes a beeline for the dragon vein. Effie goes in first, in attack stance with Arthur, and kills the pair of samurai while the others wait on safe tiles. Then Azura uses the dragon vein to weaken the spearfighters, and I put Effie (in guard stance with Arthur) into their range so she kills them on the enemy phase. I have Corrin (in guard stance with Elise to borrow her higher mov) rush over and kill the lone archer so Effie doesn't have to deal with him, while Felicia and Nyx pick off the swordie from a safe distance. At this point, only the boss and his two archers are left and everybody (except Azura who's still in the alcove where the dragon vein was) is standing just outside the zone that trips the reinforcements. Niles and Arthur are the only two who have the weapon advantage over the boss. And of the two of them, only Arthur can get close enough to attack (again by having Elise carry him). Arthur can't one round the boss, and nobody else can get close enough to finish the job before the reinforcements come. I can try and block the stairways, but I don't think I can block all four in one turn. So I either need a quick way to kill the boss or to somehow block enough stairways to buy time before the reinforcements get too close.

Any suggestions on how to finish this chapter? It feels like there's something I'm just not thinking of.

What difficulty are you playing on?

Anyway, I find the archers near the boss best dealt with before moving on, preferably with Effie (use pair up to stop any tag team attempts they do).

You can actually avoid the reinforcements entirely by staying outside of the square area that the Dragon Vein hits. That's the activation zone for them. You have more than room to walk around.

Other than that, ditto to this.

14 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Anyway, I find the archers near the boss best dealt with before moving on, preferably with Effie (use pair up to stop any tag team attempts they do).

Lunatic does give one of them a Shining Bow (I don't THINK Hard does?), but Effie can live it on average iirc given she has Elise's personal active on her?

The boss also has Strong Riposte, so taking him on Enemy Phase and moving away to heal is generally optimal. Effie and Arthur paired up (with either in front) should be decent at dealing with him, although unfortunately he's variable given the terrain he's on.

7 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

What difficulty are you playing on?

Hard/Classic. How do I kill the archers with Effie though? They're behind the wall so she can't reach them. Should I put Effie in attack stance with Felicia or Nyx behind, bait the archers into attacking her through the wall and hope Felicia/Nyx can get the kill on the counterattack?

1 minute ago, RainbowMoon said:

Hard/Classic. How do I kill the archers with Effie though? They're behind the wall so she can't reach them. Should I put Effie in attack stance with Felicia or Nyx behind, bait the archers into attacking her through the wall and hope Felicia/Nyx can get the kill on the counterattack?

Most people give Effie a Javelin, which she does use rather well given she won't double normally anyways.

Just now, Emerson said:

Most people give Effie a Javelin, which she does use rather well given she won't double normally anyways.

Forgot Javelins even existed lol

Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize the reinforcements zone only extended as far as the dragon vein. So I can just take out the archers, keep everyone to the left as they head towards the boss and then enemy phase him to death with guard stance Effie/Arthur, yes?

4 minutes ago, RainbowMoon said:

Forgot Javelins even existed lol

Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize the reinforcements zone only extended as far as the dragon vein. So I can just take out the archers, keep everyone to the left as they head towards the boss and then enemy phase him to death with guard stance Effie/Arthur, yes?

Yeah, that should work fine. You can also have Niles do a bit of damage and Dance him out with Azura before enemy phase since theres room, although depending on your rng with his Strength he might not do that much.

6 minutes ago, Emerson said:

Yeah, that should work fine. You can also have Niles do a bit of damage and Dance him out with Azura before enemy phase since theres room, although depending on your rng with his Strength he might not do that much.

Perfect, thanks! I'll try it first without involving Niles and Azura since I'd like to keep them safe, but I'll keep that in mind in case I need some extra damage.

I'd say that you actually want Niles to kill the Archers. Since this is hard classic, you don't have to worry about an enfeeble shrine maiden nerfing your units. Niles would normally die with 3 steel bow archers but one of them having a shining bow targets his high resistance stat. With a strength tonic, defense tonic, and +2 forged bronze bow he can clear out all the Archers in one enemy phase. Pair him with Effie if you need a defense buff or elise's aura, as long as you aren't letting the boss get dual strikes on you you're fine. As for the reinforcements, that is the game telling you to seize, but its possible to kill them all with good positioning and attack stance abuse. Haitaka you can kill on player phase with heavy hitters like Corrin dragonstone, Silas with his personal activated, reclassed jacob, effie will work too I think but I honestly don't use her very much. Also plunk Odin or Nyx next to the boss so Heartseeker can alleviate the avoid from the throne. Do your own math to make sure you don't waste a tonic if its not needed for Niles, but he can hit the benchmarks from base.

10 hours ago, beachwalks said:

I'd say that you actually want Niles to kill the Archers. Since this is hard classic, you don't have to worry about an enfeeble shrine maiden nerfing your units. Niles would normally die with 3 steel bow archers but one of them having a shining bow targets his high resistance stat. With a strength tonic, defense tonic, and +2 forged bronze bow he can clear out all the Archers in one enemy phase. Pair him with Effie if you need a defense buff or elise's aura, as long as you aren't letting the boss get dual strikes on you you're fine. As for the reinforcements, that is the game telling you to seize, but its possible to kill them all with good positioning and attack stance abuse. Haitaka you can kill on player phase with heavy hitters like Corrin dragonstone, Silas with his personal activated, reclassed jacob, effie will work too I think but I honestly don't use her very much. Also plunk Odin or Nyx next to the boss so Heartseeker can alleviate the avoid from the throne. Do your own math to make sure you don't waste a tonic if its not needed for Niles, but he can hit the benchmarks from base.

Neither of the archers had a Shining Bow iirc. Javelin Effie in attack stance with Nyx took them both out just fine for me.

As a side note, Javelin Effie is SO useful! I've only given ch.10 a couple of tired attempts so far, but planting Effie behind the walls with a Javelin basically lets her wreck house on the ninjas and spearfighters with next to no retaliation.

Hey I actually just did this chapter yesterday, on hard classic. I didn’t know there would be reinforcements beforehand and I triggered them before facing the archers, but what I did was have dragon stone Corrin with Elise at A support pair up fight the first archer and he did enough damage to OHKO (my Corrin is +mag though so you might not have that amount of magic, and you probably don’t have an A support with Elise though) and has Azura sing for him and do the same thing to the next archer and he could easily take a hit from Haitaka (the boss) so we were good to go.

As far as the reinforcements go they’re sort of sectioned off by one tile hallways in between the stairs if you know what I’m talking about, so if you have Effie + Arthur pair up and then maybe like... Silas or dragonstone Corrin block those two hallways the rest of your units should be able to pick off the reinforcements in whichever half they’re left in, and then next phase the remaining ones should be easy to take care of. That’s what I did.

You can grind support in my castle battles, by the way, and if you just search support or easy support or something like that you can attack tanky units that don’t have weapons over and over for that A support. Granted I don’t know the troubador pair up bonuses off the top of my head but I’m assuming B to A support increases magic.

By the way, for Haitaka himself try to capture him with Niles since he has rally defense and I have heard that will be useful for chapter 10, which I am going to attempt today. It looks fun!

17 hours ago, Emerson said:

Lunatic does give one of them a Shining Bow (I don't THINK Hard does?)

Can confirm it doesn’t.

1 hour ago, RainbowMoon said:

As a side note, Javelin Effie is SO useful! I've only given ch.10 a couple of tired attempts so far,

Oops, looks like I’m a little late...

Ah well I already typed up this whole thing, I’ll just post it in case someone ends up here looking for advice.

Chapter 9 on Hard Classic is fine if you're not against turtling. I usually have Odin take out the archers through the wall with Elise's personal and Nyx/Arthur/Corrin in attack stance. It's good training for Odin and you can often get Elise to level 10 and promote before Chapter 10 if you have the money to spare. Haitaka doesn't move so there's no rush to kill him. Trigger the reinforcements and pick them off. Odin and Nyx can take out the archers with WTA especially with Azura nearby to dance one of them and the rest can take out the spear fighters with no problem. When you face Haitaka place Odin near him to lower his avoid. You can also burn a charge of the Freeze staff as well. Not sure if Felicia can take a hit but Jakob and Odin can survive one hit on enemy phase at base, Arthur can survive 2 and Effie 3 so he's easy enough to whittle down even with the throne's healing.