If you could add a villain to Smash as a fighter, who would it be and why?

Lord_Brand

This is the villains' installment of my "If you could add X to Smash, what would it be and why?" series of topics.

EDIT: I've decided to loosen up the restrictions a little and change the title to something shorter and snappier. The basic rule is that the fighter has to be a villain from a video game series, but now the villain can be from a series that already has one in Smash if you like.

Here is a list of my proposed candidates:

• Super Mario - King Boo
  • Donkey Kong - Lord Frederik
  • The Legend of Zelda - Ganon
  • Metroid - Sylux
  • Kirby - The Mage Sisters
  • Yoshi - Kamek
  • Star Fox - General Scales
  • Pokemon - Gengar
  • Earthbound - Porky
  • F-Zero - Black Shadow
  • Fire Emblem - Black Knight
  • Kid Icarus - Medusa
  • Wario - Captain Syrup
  • Metal Gear - Big Boss
  • Sonic the Hedgehog - Dr. Eggman
  • Mega Man - Dr. Wily & Robot Masters
  • Xenoblade - Malos
  • Pac-Man - Ghosts
  • Street Fighter - M. Bison
  • Final Fantasy - Sephiroth Garland
  • Castlevania - Dracula
  • Dragon Quest - Mordegon
  • Banjo-Kazooie - Gruntilda
  • Fatal Fury - Geese Howard
  • ARMS - Dr. Coyle

As for which of these I'd choose first, probably Dr. Eggman. I mean, he is the archnemesis of Sonic the Hedgehog, former rival of the world's most famous video game character, and his many boss battles have given him a diverse array of moves to use with his Egg Mobile in a manner akin to Bowser Jr. and the Koopa Clown Car. Plus, they'd have an excuse to add E.G.G.M.A.N. to the SSBU soundtrack, and Eggman himself could have some choice voice clips ("Get a load of this!" and "Snooping as usual, I see!" as taunts, "I hate that hedgehoooog...!" when star KO'd by Sonic, etc.). They could even include Classic Eggman and Boom Eggman as costume options.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Neat topic! I don't have much experience with most of these series, but one that stands out (whom you brought up) is Medusa from Kid Icarus. I was a big fan of Kid Icarus: Uprising, and with her functioning as a secondary antagonist (while also having series history), she could be a natural fit. Plus, Sakurai loves his own games. I think she could be easy to produce; personally, I wouldn't mind her being an Echo of Palutena, considering their split history. But with some aesthetic changes - like, a darker "explosive flamer", or using her hair-snakes when grabbing. Her Final Smash, too, could involve her head coming off (in its monstrous form) and striking the target from across the screen. Plus, I'd love Cree Summer getting her voice into Smash.

You misdid the title, it's supposed to say 'who would it be and why is it Narcian' smh.

Slight disagreements with a couple suggestions:

Juri would be a better villain character than Bison, hot take is we should have got her instead of Bayo.

Dr. Wily is too clunky to use as a Fighter, use Bass instead, he can function as a semi-clone by reusing Mega Man's Custom Special options from Sm4sh, like Skull Barrier, and he has Treble for an alternate Rush Coil.

Fire Emblem) Arvis

Fatal Fury/King of Fighters) Geese/Iori

Final Fantasy) Kefka (i wouldn't like to see Sephiroth's Masamune getting shortened to a fourth of what it should normally be)

Street Fighter) Cammy (sorry to all the good boys and girls who play Smash)

Mother) Porky

• Yoshi: Kamek
  • Pokemon: Meowth
  • Mother: Porky
  • F-ZERO: Black Shadow (Captain Falcon Echo)
  • Fire Emblem: Arvis
  • Sonic the Hedgehog: Dr. Eggman
  • Pikmin: Bulborb
  • Punch-Out!!: Bald Bull
Edited by Jingilator

52 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

You misdid the title, it's supposed to say 'who would it be and why is it Narcian' smh.

Dr. Wily is too clunky to use as a Fighter, use Bass instead, he can function as a semi-clone by reusing Mega Man's Custom Special options from Sm4sh, like Skull Barrier, and he has Treble for an alternate Rush Coil.

Based Bass

I'd kind of prefer Gyro Man to be honest, though.

Narcian is also a good choice.

@Spookilator Ah, I forgot Black Shadow for F-Zero!

@SoulWeaver I figure if the Bowser Jr. argument could work for Eggman, it could work for Wily. Trouble for Wily is, he has far fewer boss fights under his belt, and so unless his capsule borrows a bunch of Special Weapons from his Robot Masters, he'll be mostly relegated to energy projectiles. Although, what if Wily himself wasn't the player character per se but rather a Pokemon Trainer-esque "commander" who deploys Robot Masters as his minions? He could use the Doc Robot from MM3, or a rotating team of Robot Masters (hmm, perhaps that's a worthy subject for a topic all its own...).

The lists of villains are neat everyone, but I was talking more about which one villain would you add, given the chance? Like, if you could magically make the next DLC fighter the villain of your choice or add them, who would you pick as the villain you most want to add to the game?

Edited by Lord_Brand

Fire Emblem - Black Knight
Megaman - Bass

Haven't played any of the other mentioned games.

Still haven't bought ultimate (I plan to do so when 3H starts to bore me), but if BK gets added I'll buy it immediately.

I feel like the series that gets new fighters that were villains from their respective series should be is F-Zero series.

I feel like we definitely need a new F-Zero rep for years and Black Shadow would be perfect to make it as a new villain fighter from the F-Zero series for Ultimate or the next Super Smash Bros. title.

I don't know about adding a new villain fighter from the Yoshi series since we might definitely need a new Yoshi rep as well. I don't think we should be adding villains from the 3rd Party series since it would fill up the too much 3rd Party roster. (Just focus on the two 3rd Party franchises from the same company with an echo fighter)

Edited by King Marth 64

• 2 weeks later...

As of today, Sephiroth has been confirmed to be the very first third-party villain added to Smash's roster of playable fighters, so I'll just go strike his name off the list in the OP.

Edited by Lord_Brand

6 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

As of today, Sephiroth has been confirmed to be the very first third-party villain added to Smash's roster of playable fighters, so I'll just go strike his name off the list in the OP.

If anything, you should bold his name. It turns out to have been a very prescient prediction.

Thank you, but it wasn't really a prediction per se, just my proposed choice for Final Fantasy's villain rep since Cloud was, until now, the only FF fighter in the game. Unless they added a different FF hero first, it pretty much had to be Sephiroth. But hey, we can always use this as a list to cross names off of as they add new villains to Smash over time!

I'd easily pick Hades from Kid Icarus. 

Medusa might have legacy but Hades has status. Most Kid Icarus fans seem quite smitten with him and he was in many way the perfect villain for that game and the perfect antagonist for Pit in general. With how wacky, over the top and expressive he is Hades is a perfect embodiment of Kid Icarus. 

• 3 weeks later...

Since Sephiroth was been added as the first 3rd Party villain and the first villain not connected to the Original 12's series for Challenger Pack 8 on December. I just gave my new thought that I might change my mind that I might see what I think about it:

• Kirby series - The Three Mage-Sisters
  • F-Zero series - Black Shadow
  • Kid Icarus series - Medusa
  • Wario series - Captain Syrup
  • Metal Gear series - Big Boss
  • ARMS - Dr. Coyle

Most of them I feel like some of them that I picked that think they should be included for the next Super Smash Bros. installment after Ultimate.

Edited by King Marth 64

Fine choice! I suggested such myself in the OP. We've got Mario, Bowser, and Sonic in Smash, it's high time The Eggman completes the quartet. If not for Sephiroth stealing his thunder, Eggman would have made a great first villain DLC fighter.

Though X and Zero aren't in Smash yet, I'd like to see Sigma join the roster one day as well. Unlike Wily, who relies on Robot Masters and machines to do the fighting, Sigma is more than capable as a hand-to-hand combatant, having fought X and Zero directly and used a wide variety of weapons over the course of eight major installments. His most iconic weapon is the beam saber he used in the very first game, and I expect that's what the majority of his moveset would be built around, though his claws from X2 and his scythe from X4 are pretty memorable as well. I certainly wouldn't mind if they pulled a K. Rool and made his specials each represent one of his notable boss battles.

The only villain I would want to see is Malos from XC2. I need some 

*spoilers of the story, so consider that please!*

Spoiler

Aegis vs Aegis and Monado vs Monado battles!

Cause that would be perfect imo. Of course I want him as a character regardless of his status since he is such a great character either way. Unfortunately his language would get censored quite a bit, which is something I would deal with.

I never expected to read the Mage Sisters here, but honestly since the reveal of a double unit, it might be somewhat possible. They even have a death animation similar to Smash.

Honestly I'd be fine with seeing Waddle Dee since he's an enemy and helper at the same time like King Dedede and Meta Knight and with him the entire cast of Kirby's Return To Dreamland would be covered.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:16 AM, Zan Partizanne said:

I never expected to read the Mage Sisters here, but honestly since the reveal of a double unit, it might be somewhat possible. They even have a death animation similar to Smash.

What's more, they have a gimmick almost exactly like Pokemon Trainer in Star Allies itself. I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more Kirby characters join Smash since Brawl. Maybe Sakurai took all those accusations of Kirby favoritism to heart and has avoided pushing the Kirby series since to avoid coming off as biased? In which case, that's another reason I feel sorry for the guy, since he played such a big role in Kirby's creation in the first place.

And as it so happens, Kirby has built up quite a Rogue's Gallery from which to pull villain or at least antihero candidates: Marx, Daroach, Magolor, Taranza, Susie, the Mage Sisters...I hope they all get added to the roster at some point, Star Allies showed off just how much fun they could be.

Seeing Pokémon Trainer before and now Pythra gives me serious hopes to see the Mage Generals.

Though I'm not too surprised about the low amount of Kirby characters in Smash (on the other hand I'm very surprised about the big amount of Fire Emblem characters).

Waddle Dee would have been the only one who could have made it before to complete the Return To Dreamland cast.

As for villans Marx and Magolor are the most popular ones, and at least Marx made it in as (excellent) villain.

Daroach, Taranza and Susie aren't popular enough to be playable or an opponent in Smash.

They rather should be added in a Kirby Fighters game.

Kirby Fighters 2 missed this opportunity unfortunately.

7 hours ago, Zan Partizanne said:

Daroach, Taranza and Susie aren't popular enough to be playable or an opponent in Smash.

Popular enough they got fanart, not to mention got added to Star Allies as playable characters. Besides, popularity isn't the only factor in a fighter being added to Smash, as Captain Falcon, Ness, Wii Fit Trainer, and Piranha Plant can attest. Sometimes they throw in obscure faces for the fun of it, you know? I'm just saying, Kirby could easily fill his own sub-roster with all the distinct and colorful characters he's racked up over the years.

Getting back to the villain topic, while we're not at the point of adding two villains for any third-party series yet, I could see Vile joining Smash once Sigma's in there. He is the MMX series' second-best known villain after Sigma himself and one of the most iconic villains for the franchise as a whole. MHX gave him a play style that could work pretty well for Smash, with his shoulder/arm/leg trio of weapon slots that each support three types of weapon system which in turn offer a choice of five different weapons, adding up to a grand total of 45 weapons, almost three times the number of attack slots his theoretical Smash moveset would have. His up attacks would use shoulder weapons, his neutral/forward attacks would use arm weapons, nd his down attacks would use leg weapons. This means Vile would be the second fighter after Yoshi whose U Special is a projectile rather than a recovery, mitigated by a more effective midair jump (in Vile's case, a jetpack, which he also uses to dash). The one exception to the U-Shoulder/NF-Arm/D-Leg rule is Vile's signature Electric Shock Round (the weapon he used to stun X in MMX), which is fired from his shoulder and is his N Special. The Shock Round will automatically aim at the nearest fighter in front of Vile.

On top of his arsenal, Vile could spawn in a Ride Armor that features its own moveset and is heavy, strong, and immune to hitstun, but has limited stamina and will explode once it takes too much damage. Once the Armor explodes, Vile can't get another one until he respawns. Vile can exit the Ride Armor manually by holding up and jumping, but doing so risks another fighter jumping in and taking control. Vile is the only fighter who can use a special move while piloting a Ride Armor: his Electric Shock Round.