Who's the "one" unit your strategy frequently relies on?

kradeelav

This post is probably more for the casuals/intermediate players (without barracks full of high-investment units), but I'm curious especially with new players joining in later generations ... who's the one go-to crutch unit when you need to finish an Abyssal map or such without paying much attention / that always does the job?  Not "favorite", necessarily.

(Kind of like how in G1/2/3 i would have suspected most people would've said Rein or b!Lyn. Part of this post is seeing who's the gen 4/5 versions of them.)

For me - real close tie between b!Camilla (most consistent swiss army knife for nuking any physical unit w/o fear of retaliation and Gravity+ doing the rest of the job of shutting down tricky setups) and p!Tibarn who was my first galeforce unit and just freaking ... breaks every single map.  Still does. 

Edited by kradeelav
fixed wording

I think even a veteran with multiple high-investment units can attest there's always that one unit you wind up relying on.

...it's Brave Ike. Combined with Spurn, high Spd investment, Flayn, and a good ol Sabotage Atk for good measure, there's often little that can take him down outside of AoE damage, which turns out isn't that common outside of Aether Raids.

Ike singlehandedly made the game very boring for me when I began to over rely on him. I now actively try not to use him outside of AR-O if I can help it, which thankfully I usually can.

I usually have 1 team I use for everything. It used to be M!Kana/Garon/Fallen M!Robin/Ninian (who was promptly replaced by her brother at the first opportunity.) My Valentian Infantry team has since become the one I use for everything: Dancing Berkut (does not actually have Dance)/Dancing Rinea (has Dance)/Original Alm/Original Boey. When I need to use armors/fliers/cavs... Well, I try to have a team of each, but it's slow going trying to make a satisfactory one. Best I have right now is my flying team: Hel/Fallen Ashnard/Travant/Bathtime Hinoka. Been considering replacing Travant with Dancing Eldigan, and am again considering replacing him with Galle since I heard Galle was similar to Fallen Ashnard.

I've been playing since launch so I have a lot of options, but a few that stand out:

• Abyssal: Aversa or L'Arachel with a blade tome and dance support to just nuke everything.
  • Aether Raids: Cecilia (Light) or Fallen Lyon (Astra) with Isolation support to bait key enemies and break the opposing formation. Alternatively, on Water seasons, Legendary Leif with dance support to try to shred most of the defense team in one turn.
  • Arena Assault: Brave Camilla tends to be a solid way of countering pretty much anything particularly troublesome.

Legendary Edelgard for sure for me. My lightseason aether raid offense consists of finding a place to shove her in and have her kill a bunch of the enemies and if she needs help use duo micaiah's duo skill to ensure she kills. Speaking of duo Micaiah she would be probably number 2 on the list since she is duo effective and has a busted duo skill. Third probably would be Brave edelgard as she is such a great tank.

Now that I have finally summoned her I suspect duo lyn will be in this list as well its so fun using the team I have for her to take all the turns with her without ever giving the opponents a chance to attack.

Aether raids: I'll make a team without Bridal Fjorm when hell freezes over.  She's so damn good at shutting down dancers!

Everything else: Leon.  He hits insanely hard for neutral damage, twice, before the enemy realizes that it's a problem.  Combine with buffs and watch the damage skyrocket!

I have a team of +10 units that I would consider my "best" units, so I guess they could technically be the units that I rely on the most (the team has Seliph, Cormag, Young Minerva, and Sothe). Even so, I use quite a few different units for different things, so I'm not always relying on a single unit for everything. I try to use every unit on a team to their fullest extent, and so I find it kinda hard to just rely on a single unit.

When I'm not using that team, Legendary Edelgard and Legendary Seliph are typically my go-to units if they're on a team. 

I use VS!Azura whenever possible.

For clearing Abyssal, I used to use Celica a lot, but now I use TSOIA!Palla more. I might also use ITM!Lyn now too since she is really strong with a Slaying Brave Weapon.

For Aether Raids, Kronya used to be my go to unit as very few teams implemented counter measures against her early on, but now she is just pretty meh. Currently, I use two BH!Ike super tank teams, one for each season.

For Arena Assault, I almost always bring Dancers/Singers, and I usually also bring a Firesweep archer as well.

For competitiv modes like AR i dont rely on anything i just get it done with what is available (i actually allways use all Auto AR battles up).

For PVE I dont rely per say on anyone, i clear everything with the Askrtrio and then go for Fun kills with my other synergistic Teams.

OG!Eirika is my go to for difficult content. Then again, her being so strong relies heavily on Kaden, L!Azura and Peony so it's more 1 team than one unit. 

Then again...L!Azura is featured on the Officer Hilda team and almost every other team I try. Yeah, I guess L!Azura would qualify as that "one" unit that most of my strategies rely on, she's that OP. 

For AR it depends on the enemy, but Duo Byleth has been a great boon for Astra using the Windsweep+Phantom Spd combo. 

Previously I was pretty much just, like, Ophelia + 3 Dancers for everything, although recently I've been leaning really hard onto F!Ike and B!Dimitri for when Enemy Phase becomes more important, and generally since I've gotten burned out from overusing that strategy tbh.

These are all such good responses! You know, I'm surprised I don't see more b!Edelgard in here more given she's such a terror in AR-O.  L!Edelgard to be sure, but the former being harder to get than the latter, I wonder?

10 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I think even a veteran with multiple high-investment units can attest there's always that one unit you wind up relying on.

...it's Brave Ike. Combined with Spurn, high Spd investment, Flayn, and a good ol Sabotage Atk for good measure, there's often little that can take him down outside of AoE damage, which turns out isn't that common outside of Aether Raids.

Ike singlehandedly made the game very boring for me when I began to over rely on him. I now actively try not to use him outside of AR-O if I can help it, which thankfully I usually can.

I may have to try your bIke build - he's decent for Hard CC's for me with the usual gamepress build, but not 'let loose on Lunatic CC's and walk away' good, yet.

18 minutes ago, kradeelav said:

These are all such good responses! You know, I'm surprised I don't see more b!Edelgard in here more given she's such a terror in AR-O.  L!Edelgard to be sure, but the former being harder to get than the latter, I wonder?

I was thinking about mentioning her, I just got her and Brave Dimitri yesterday so I haven't gotten much of a chance to use them yet but the two of them seem like they'll join Legendary Corrin and Legendary Chrom as general-purpose tanks in my lineup.

This also made me realize I should really set up Brave Edelgard for AR offense. I have my +10 Sheena on one of my current Astra teams, but Edelgard is probably a lot better, especially on a team that doesn't have Armor March.

34 minutes ago, kradeelav said:

Only reason I reason I don't use Edelgard on Ar-o is she is blessed for Ar-d Anima to be specific. Its the one team I actually have gotten to somewhat work for Ar-D lol.  Although I do have a random ar-o anima team where she is on there anyways although she is weaker because of wrong blessing lol. But I do use both versions of Edelgard alot and probably am using more of the brave version lately.

It's Legendary Leif and it isn't even close. I mean, sure, I almost always use him alongside Legendary Azura, but she could be replaced by just about any dancer, she's a distant, distant second.

1 hour ago, kradeelav said:

In addition to being harder to obtain and being on a less consistent seasoning schedule, FE!Edelgard is still plagued by mobility issues, no matter how minor it is. Armor Stride addresses most of the mobility issues faced by armor units, but it still does not completely fix it since it still has positioning requirements.

In contrast, ANF!Edelgard has no mobility issues as long as her HP requirement is met, and that requirement has an extremely lenient range. It is also easy to maintain too due to how bulky she is. In fact, I would argue that ANF!Edelgard's mobility is superior to infantry, and depending on terrain, rivals even cavalry and most fliers.

In my opinion, ANF!Edelgard's consistent superior mobility outweighs FE!Edelgard's gimmick of double Galeforce.

2 hours ago, kradeelav said:

I may have to try your bIke build - he's decent for Hard CC's for me with the usual gamepress build, but not 'let loose on Lunatic CC's and walk away' good, yet.

The build and the rest of the team composition is generally for Aether Raids, but it should work for other modes as well as long as it is used in the right type of map. I find super tanks to be more difficult to use on PvE maps where reinforcements can spawn from all sides and corners of the map, since that means chokepoints are kind of useless if the enemy can just spawn right behind your backline. In Aether Raids, the enemy can only come from one direction and there are no reinforcements that can flank your formation.

If you have to choose between Flayn and BH!Lucina as his support, I would personally go with BH!Lucina for better healing since BH!Ike should have more than enough percentage damage reduction from Urvan and Spurn. Of course, ideally you want to run both and maybe a second Flayn too.

Currently playing Blue Lions Hard Classic on Three Houses, Dmitri has become the crutch to help smooth out my poor choices, being able to take out entire armies in the enemy phase like some freakish monster. Thematics wise, Dmitri being a crazed lone wolf who crits all the time as he runs into battle on his own fits pretty well with his character, so I allow it and take advantage of it

Edited by Greymanz
(Didnt realize this was the Heroes section, if a mod would like to delete this for being offtopic, they can)