Have you ever let the actions of a company prevent you from buying a game or purchasing from them?

null

Video game companies no, though I tend to only play Nintendo, Platinum and Atlus games since those are the games I like so I stay away from the game companies that do things that might make me mad anyway.  As to other companies yes I do stop buying things from them if they do things that go against my personal code of ethics.   CVS is a big one on my list and I had to choose between them and WalMart this summer for who I would be getting my insulin from, WalMart won that round hands down.   Any company that spreads lies about type one diabetes or otherwise causes people to make fun of and or not help a type one when they have an emergency are companies I refuse to have anything to with, yes there are companies that have done this in the past and I have a list but it is long and I won't bother listing it all out.     My choice is my choice and as long as I have free will I choose to only buy things from companies who don't make me mad.

6 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

People rejected you for that? Sad indeed. If you want to share your thoughts, by all means please do! I would never blame you for disagreeing how a company handles things, it's your opinion after all.

I appreciate the invitation, but I'd rather not share the details publicly. I'm willing to share the details with you via message if you're okay with that.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Does DLC count? If so, then I have a number of problems with most companies then. Xd

It says purchasing from them so I don’t see why not.

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I appreciate the invitation, but I'd rather not share the details publicly. I'm willing to share the details with you via message if you're okay with that.

Oh I'm sorry! I should have been more considerate of your feelings. I dont want you to feel uncomfortable at all. But sure, if you dont mind.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

It says purchasing from them so I don’t see why not.

DLC is a cash grab, from any company.

27 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Oh I'm sorry! I should have been more considerate of your feelings. I dont want you to feel uncomfortable at all. But sure, if you dont mind.

DLC is a cash grab, from any company.

That depends. How much effort was put into said dlc and how much are they charging for it?

Also, some games really should be vectors for lots of DLC. I for one would have been overjoyed with continuous years-long support for FE Warriors, Injustice 2, and Smash Bros. Ultimate in particular.

8 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

That depends. How much effort was put into said dlc and how much are they charging for it?

Also, some games really should be vectors for lots of DLC. I for one would have been overjoyed with continuous years-long support for FE Warriors, Injustice 2, and Smash Bros. Ultimate in particular.

With the exception of Xenoblade 2 and KH3, I haven't had much luck with quality DLC. $30 dollars for about 3 hours of gameplay is ripoff, imo.

I will generally avoid buying from game companies in two circumstances:

1. If I don't trust that company not to screw me over. For instance, Activision has developed a habit of launching games without microtransactions, then adding them in later. I do not buy or play any games that have microtransactions. As such, I will not buy any games from Activision, even if they initially look like something I would like to play. I do not trust them not to add microtransactions later.

2. If there are two games that I am equally excited for and I only have the time/budget for one of them, then I will buy from the company which I find less morally objectionable.

Beyond that, everything is a case-by-case basis.

Oh, we're on DLC, now? In that case, hell yes.

Making a game that lacks substance (whether Gameplay-wise or Lore-wise) so that they want more, and then asking for what amounts to a second purchase is straight up BS. I'M  LOOKING AT YOU, FATES!

DLC should be nice little odds and ends, without any of the game's core mechanics or Lore being hacked out and canned into a DLC so that they can get more $$$. I think SoV did a decent job on that part. It's a coherent (beautiful, even) game that lacks nothing from it's core mechanics and Lore. But... the sheer amount of DLC, It costs more than the blasted game! That's the biggest problem SoV has, in my opinion.

If we're talking about more than FE, then the shining example of good DLC would be Hollow Knight. "Oh, you bought the game? We appreciate that. So much so that we made 4 wonderful FREE DLCs to go along with it!" Those DLCs add about as much content to the game as was in it at base. All for a game that's 15$ that is far superior to most 60$ games. Can you tell I like Team Cherry yet?

As for bad examples, EA, Bethesda, etc., etc. You guys know all about that, so I'll cut myself short on this topic.

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

No worries. I'd just rather discuss my baggage on a one-to-one basis, is all. I'll send you a message shortly.

I now almost only buy secondhand for Nintendo games, because while I still like Pokemon, Zelda, and Fire Emblem enough to keep buying some of their games and DLCs, I just hate Shit-geru so much since after the debacle from Super Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword. I mean, this son of a bitch should retire and be kept in a glass box for all I now care.

All of these quotes should show why I now hate him so much:

On 5/11/2016 at 11:11 PM, henrymidfields said:

This! So much! I hate the Mario franchise in recent years so much, because of his no-story policy. Mario Galaxy was one of the few recent Mario games where the story was actually good. Bowser was actually awesome with his ambitious goal, Peach being kidnapped was better justified, and there was more than the same old story, and the ending was the best. There were times after Mario 3DS came out that I wished someone would pull the plug on the franchise. What was even worse was that Miyamoto decided to reverse the good things about Galaxy when that game won the BAFTA award - did he not get that memo?! The below meme sums up everything wrong about him:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/349/621/58f.jpg

On 5/2/2016 at 8:29 PM, Water Mage said:

He's both good and bad.

For example like Etrurian Emperor said, Rosalina was going to have a much larger backstory, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 would expand it.

Her mother would even appear! Not only that but Rosalina was going to have a connection to Peach.

But Miyamoto decided to cut it, saying it wasn't needed.

And when Miyamoto steps out, the stories are incredible!

Majora's Mask was the first Zelda game that Miyamoto wasn't involved, and look at that game's story! It was amazing!

That being said, we can't deny the man is a genius when it comes to game development.

On 5/3/2016 at 6:45 AM, The DanMan said:

Skyward Sword was meant to be *drumroll*... a lot more story and lore heavy. Miyamoto had them cut back it.

On 5/3/2016 at 8:53 AM, Anacybele said:

Wait, Skyward Sword was going to have more story/lore than it already does? Man, that's a bummer. I love the game as is, but really... Miyamoto, stop, please...

all from: 

On the other hand, I make it a point to buy new copies for Atlus as much as possible, as they make games (mainly Persona, but also Catherine) that asks the hard questions on Japanese society.

Edited by henrymidfields

I have never bought DLC and I will never buy DLC as I have held the belief even from my younger years that paid DLC is exploitative bs that directly paves the way for MORE exploitative bs like lootboxes. Also I will pay to support games I like, buying them on release day and preordering special editions where my wallet allows, you are then not about to exploit me by giving me less than a full game and then selling me the completed experience in chunks. Fuck off.

As for companies themselves, Game Freak and Naughty Dog are currently on my 'do not buy' list. Blizzard is a never. The rest are on shaky ground but a wait and see and Bethesda is among them if only because I do really love Fallout and want them to do better.

On 11/27/2020 at 6:00 AM, henrymidfields said:

I now almost only buy secondhand for Nintendo games, because while I still like Pokemon, Zelda, and Fire Emblem enough to keep buying some of their games and DLCs, I just hate Shit-geru so much since after the debacle from Super Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword. I mean, this son of a bitch should retire and be kept in a glass box for all I now care.

All of these quotes should show why I now hate him so much:

If it helps, Miyamoto has actually walked back on his no-story policy; not only expressing regret for some of his past decisions, but also switching focus to trusting in the next generation and wanting to make sure that these game series he created survive after him. His position now at Nintendo basically just amounts to people coming to him for advice every now and then, and that's all he wants it to be right now. He now wants developers for these games to do things that he wouldn't have done back in his day.

If you don't believe me, watch this video from 36:54 to 42:14:

Why Paper Mario Refuses to Change - YouTube

Edited by vanguard333

17 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

If it helps, Miyamoto has actually walked back on his no-story policy; not only expressing regret for some of his past decisions, but also switching focus to trusting in the next generation and wanting to make sure that these game series he created survive after him. His position now at Nintendo basically just amounts to people coming to him for advice every now and then, and that's all he wants it to be right now. He now wants developers for these games to do things that he wouldn't have done back in his day. Honestly, were Galaxy and Skyward Sword being made now, those debacles would not have happened.

If Miyamoto even to blame for Skyward Sword? Wasn't the ball in Aonuma's court for that one?

22 minutes ago, Jotari said:

If Miyamoto even to blame for Skyward Sword? Wasn't the ball in Aonuma's court for that one?

I don't know; the person I was replying to blamed Miyamoto, and the point of my reply was simply that he's completely changed his philosophy from, "no story" to, "I'm going to trust the next generation and make sure they're able to keep these games going long after I'm gone." I'll edit what I said.

• 2 weeks later...

I never buy chargable DLCs unless they're included in a deluxe edition which is on sale. This would apply to Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ and Trails of Cold Steel IV because their DLCs were literally for free, and Smash Ultimate for buying the first pass (won't buy the second one). I don't support this kind of marketing. I want a full game on date of release, nothing more and nothing less.

As for companies I have had only bad experience with JRPGs from Square Enix. Never could get into Final Fantasy, Bravely Default, Dragon Quest and Octopath Traveler. Not bothering with any games from this company anymore.

Edited by Kasumi Yoshizawa

I don't have a problem with paid DLC if it's content that couldn't have been added at the original release (say, if it's a character from another game that came out after) or if it's sizeable enough to constitute an expansion to the base game. Extra content requires extra work after all, and that work deserves to be paid. Now, something sleazy like charging someone $1 every time they want to change their character's hair (looking at you, DOA)? That is ridiculous. I also don't buy coins, energy, or extra powerups in mobile phone games, as such games are designed to leech money off you by encouraging you to pay for that stuff if you want to keep playing, make progress, earn top ranks on stages, etc. It's deceitful and exploitative game design. With one-time single payment expansion DLC, at least you know what you're getting. SSBU is an excellent example: The DLC fighters, stages, and Mii Costumes are the result of more hours and energy being poured into SSBU than what was needed to complete the base game, so I don't have a problem paying a little extra for extra content.

On 11/29/2020 at 2:48 AM, vanguard333 said:

If it helps, Miyamoto has actually walked back on his no-story policy; not only expressing regret for some of his past decisions, but also switching focus to trusting in the next generation and wanting to make sure that these game series he created survive after him. His position now at Nintendo basically just amounts to people coming to him for advice every now and then, and that's all he wants it to be right now. He now wants developers for these games to do things that he wouldn't have done back in his day.

Sigh... You know what, I past the point of caring for that one. That fucking son of a bitch held out for far too long. Fuck this cunt.

3 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Sigh... You know what, I past the point of caring for that one. That fucking son of a bitch held out for far too long. Fuck this cunt.

What? Weren't you just annoyed about the stuff you thought he was doing, and now it's been pointing out he actually doesn't do much at all and you still have a hate boner for him?

6 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

He "held out" for far less long than 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of people in his position. The fact that stuff as bafflingly dumb as Quibi can come into existence and get multi-million dollar investments just because it was made by a famous old CEO just proves how much the media industry is dominated by old guys with outdated ideas, who stubbornly refuse to retire or even step back and trust the newer generations, all while people in the new generations, with new and interesting ideas, struggle desperately to find work only to find there are no seats at the table for them because their ideas, being new, aren't a "safe" investment. 

So, yeah; I'm glad that Miyamoto decided to step back and chose to trust and encourage the next generation. You might think it came too late, but I say better late than never

Now, to be clear, I'm not saying everyone in the games industry who's even remotely on the older side should step down; obviously not. Eiji Aonuma is still doing great work with The Legend of Zelda and I hope he continues doing great work with The Legend of Zelda. I will just say it's worth noting that, in the "making of Breath of the Wild" videos that can be found on Nintendo's YouTube channel, a lot of the top guys in the dev team (including Aonuma) talk a bit about how the newer members of the dev team contributed a lot of ideas, and Aonuma in particular places great emphasis on BOTW having been a team effort.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

What? Weren't you just annoyed about the stuff you thought he was doing, and now it's been pointing out he actually doesn't do much at all and you still have a hate boner for him?

Yeah; I don't get his frustration either.