Challenge Ideas

Just a bored FE player passing through. I wanna play Sacred Stones for the billionth time but I need a way to spice it up. If anyone has any ideas for a difficult but fun playthrough feel free to post it here. Probably gonna play on Ephraim Hard Mode, and no I don't do Low Turn Count, I'm not that good. Also, I'm playing the Vanilla game so no Rom Hacks or Randomizers.

Edited by Drag Queen of Shimano

You could try using the Yune randomizer to either do a randomized playthrough or to buff up enemy stats if you wanna make them harder?

Um, in terms of things to do in vanilla FE8:

• You have only x seconds to make a move, and no longer than that.
  • Non-forced units cannot be deployed twice in a row.
  • Only steel weapons when possible
  • Only slim weapons/Iron axes when possible.

I hope you have fun regardless of what you choose to do!

1 hour ago, Benice said:

You could try using the Yune randomizer to either do a randomized playthrough or to buff up enemy stats if you wanna make them harder?

I do approve of this. Don't forget about the Reverse Recruitment option, though!

Randomized runs are a great way to spice up the game. Except when your first 7 characters are archers/snipers... Then you kinda hate the randomizer. 

Only use characters who join your team automatically. You can't visit a village that recruits a character, you can't talk to red units, and you can't influence if a recruitable green npc lives or dies, unless their death results in a game over. Choose whichever route you want.

Play without effective weapons? Without the Sacred Twin weapons, the Final Boss is far more challenging. Not being able to blast apart Cavs or Armors would make it a bit more interesting. As for Bows, whatcha gonna do 'bout that? There's nothing you can do, is what.

No supports? Feel how the enemy feels. Just 'cause you've got your best friend siting 2 feet from you doesn't mean you're stronger.

Female only run? Actually difficult, given that the SS roster is 13 Females to 21 Males.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I may be able to think of some others.

Use a random number generator to determine what units you use and what they promote to? Maybe just a plain old Ironman is spicing it up enough? 

2 hours ago, L3xandr3 said:

Except when your first 7 characters are archers/snipers... Then you kinda hate the randomizer. 

I feel like there is a story behind this post and I am now invested in it.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I feel like there is a story behind this post and I am now invested in it.

Not any explaining to do. Erika was an Archer, Seth was a Sniper, Franz, Gilliam, Vanessa, and so on. I have a love-hate relationship with randomizers.

Have you tried runs where you don't reset the chapter unless Eirika or Ephraim dies? Pair that up with 5-10 seconds per unit move for a fast chess experience to test your ability to think and adjust to scenarios on the fly. Try really hard not to lose too, sacrifice another unit to save your lords if you have to, to avoid restarts.
Fire Emblem has moved away from permadeath now with awakening and heroes, but before that, permadeath was one of the most memorable mechanics in the game. Sacred Stones, in particular, is designed heavily around permadeath. Every unit has high growths, so even if you lose a unit that you have invested timewise and emotionally, you can get back up to speed pretty fast clearing the monster infestation around the world, which fits in lorewise. The reason Sacred Stones feels so easy is because everyone just resets the chapter instantly on any character death regardless.
Letting your characters die hits home the theme of sacrifices are necessary in war, improve your ability as a tactician, and really syncs up with the lore in game, like how L'Arachel mentions that a mountain of bodies was required to take down the demon king, yet your army destroyed the demon king without a single casualty by chapter resetting.

Edited by orangeapple

On 11/23/2020 at 8:15 PM, Drag Queen of Shimano said:

I love Randomizers, but I was more looking to play the vanilla version again.

Ignorance run:

• No R button
  • Combat window OFF
  • Unit panel OFF
  • Animations OFF
  • Not allowed to open the unit or status window.

How well can you play the game when you're deprived of all information? I've done it in Sacred Stones, fe6, Path of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn. Lots of fun!

Edit: Don't restart chapter either. Play it like an ironman.

Edited by OriginalRaisins