What art style fits Fire Emblem the most?

Nightmage

Personally, I'm really fond of the 90s anime-esque portraits and backgrounds of the old school games. Everything looks so wistful and really reminds me of late nights watching traditionally animated shows like Inuyasha and Record of the Lodoss War. So I guess it's mostly a nostalgia thing, but I do think that sort of art style gives FE more flavor than Three Houses had, imo. Three Houses was my first serious FE game in probably a decade (Shadow Dragon was my true first) and the art style of the older games really grew on me.

Edited by Nightmage

1 hour ago, Nightmage said:

Personally, I'm really fond of the 90s anime-esque portraits and backgrounds of the old school games. Everything looks so wistful and really reminds me of late nights watching traditionally animated shows like Inuyasha and Record of the Lodoss War. So I guess it's mostly a nostalgia thing, but I do think that sort of art style gives FE more flavor than Three Houses had, imo.

Can't sympathize with you, sorry. I don't think I've ever watched an anime in my life.

As for the question, hmmm... A difficult question this. What fits FE the most? I'd have to say the style of Radiant Dawn.

Which art style in the series do I like the most, however? For portraits, Fates. For combat animations? SoV. Overall? Eh... I'd need to mull that over for a while. I'm leaning towards either the GBA games or GotHW for that one.

5 hours ago, Nightmage said:

Personally, I'm really fond of the 90s anime-esque portraits and backgrounds of the old school games. Everything looks so wistful and really reminds me of late nights watching traditionally animated shows like Inuyasha and Record of the Lodoss War. So I guess it's mostly a nostalgia thing, but I do think that sort of art style gives FE more flavor than Three Houses had, imo. Three Houses was my first serious FE game in probably a decade (Shadow Dragon was my true first) and the art style of the older games really grew on me.

objectively? NONE. i repeat, none fits because its not even clear what/how should be the artstyle be.

just so we can have max. of 2 games with same artstyle, so they will explore more and give us varied artstyle from installment, to next installment

you cant imagine how relieved i am when i first see SoV trailer use different artstyle than two previous 3DS games. Its such a palate cleanser to me after the previous games that have too many recycled face (with relatively same expression even for said face!) with different hair color and/or outfit

If you like Lodoss, then the artstyle you choose is not even Shadow dragon (remake), but the NES Fire Emblem with their big shoulder pads and more sharp expression.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Subjectively? i like SoV style because of how the design fits nicely with the presentation. the problem with 3H is the game now a full 3D one in bigger console. so any little discrepancy with the design artwork will catch your attention(in this case part of the fault from its 3D and mechanical department vs original artist artstyle). im sure you wont mind or notice it in older games in handheld console where the in game models didnt reflect how the design artwork looks

oh, the artist of SoV also draw official artwork of new Lodoss story (not spin off), if that matters to you

Edited by joevar

I like the artstyle in all eras, the distinction and variety really helps set said eras apart from each other i feel, well, except NES Gaiden, NES Gaiden's art is blegh (At least the FE1 art can be funny). Though when it comes to my favorite i'd probably have to say Sachiko Wada's art.

Also tangential but IS let Mayo be the artist for a mainline FE game already please, it's clear she's a giant fan of the franchise and would love to do it and that she has the skills for it.

I'd say it depends on the game, kind-of like how I don't think there's one art style that best fits Legend of Zelda: each has different pros and cons and should be chosen to best suit the game. 

That said, my personal favourite would be the Tellius games, followed by Three Houses and then Shadow Dragon. 

RD, SoV and Berwick Saga have my favorite art styles. It may be my bias against FE9, but something about the protraits there just look really off to me. I don't actually know what it is, but something's weird.

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

RD, SoV and Berwick Saga have my favorite art styles. It may be my bias against FE9, but something about the protraits there just look really off to me. I don't actually know what it is, but something's weird.

The complete lack of shading, possibly.

12 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I would absolutely love to see hand-drawn sprites in the GBA animation style.

Man, it'd be sugar for the eyes.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I would absolutely love to see hand-drawn sprites in the GBA animation style.

Hand-drawn sprites that are pixelated? If you mean that, thats fine, but, if you're going to do 2D and hand-drawn, why not make the game into art?:

The major issue with going this far as I see it, would be that FE looooooves reclassing now and won't ever get rid of it for even a single game again (barring maybe a remake). But going this far with the aesthetic would be very toilsome on the artists if they had to draw every character of ~36-50 of them in tens of different classes. I don't think slapping a character's head on a generic body would work with this artistry.

And, I wouldn't endorse Vanillaware's George Kamitani as the lead artist for any FE game. I like his style, but he can sometimes be a little hetero male horny with his female characters.

3 hours ago, Benice said:

interesting, I've got the opposite opinion on RD vs PoR's sprites. not knocking your opinion at all, but it was just unexpected when I've always felt like RD's sprites were a lot more wooden.  (That being said PoR's definitely feels toothy in a 'trying a new style' way that I can see it being a turn-off.)

imo, the series had different high points in art direction for different parts.

• Actual combat animation, the GBA games win handily.
  • PoR's official art wins by a landslide - imo it's oozing personality with the inky and slightly watercolory lines.  I also love the outfits there the best.
  • I have a special fondness for PoR's talking sprites but SoV's are pretty easy on the eyes.
  • As much as I cringe to say it, Awakening's maps were pretty. Somehow they figured out stylization there.
  • RD takes the cake for the UX/UI  (menus and stuff), with FEH right behind.
  • TH's FMA's were amazing.

1 hour ago, kradeelav said:

interesting, I've got the opposite opinion on RD vs PoR's sprites. not knocking your opinion at all, but it was just unexpected when I've always felt like RD's sprites were a lot more wooden.  (That being said PoR's definitely feels toothy in a 'trying a new style' way that I can see it being a turn-off.)

I actually agree with that. I feel like RD's portraits look oddly stiff compared to the ones in PoR, despite me actually preferring most of the character designs in RD.

1 hour ago, kradeelav said:

TH's FMA's were amazing.

I definitely agree with this. The anime cutscenes were absolutely spectacular. Top quality.