Book V Speculation and Discussion Thread

Sorry for the double post but I just had a thought and really wanted to share it fresh. Okay, so here's the theory: KIRAN IS WHY THE WORLD ENDS. And not just in our timeline, but in MOST if not ALL the timelines. Why is that? Because Kiran is the summoner.

Okay, so, characters (including ones from other FE games besides FEH) keep talking about going back home once they're done defending Askr, so they all eventually go back home. Heck, we've already sent a bunch back home in exchange for feathers. This includes people from other worlds AND points in time. Here in the Order of Heroes, they've learned a lot. They've become more powerful, learned new techniques, and learned a lot about other people...including the opposition from their own worlds AND some have even seen their own futures in the form of their older selves or people from many years later (including, in some cases, their own children.) This is also true in the case of several villains. There has never been a more opportune time for espionage/measuring the others' strengths, strategies, ways of thinking, and so on.

And what do you think they'll all do with that information when they go home? (This includes the likes of major FEH villains who will go back to their versions of reality and adjust things so that they don't fail like their counterparts in this world did.)

Even more than that, the deities of FEH (Loki, Freyja, etc.) keep talking about how "special" Kiran is. This could just be pandering to the player's ego, but it could also mean that Kiran is an anomaly who was never actually supposed to be in this world. It could be that reality was, in some way, broken...continuously...like, say, bringing back the dead (Hel, Freyja, Surtr, etc.) for a reason as not-thought-through as "they make great skill fodder" or "I want to score higher."

In fact, reality is probably SO messed up by the time Ragnarok happens that Ragnarok is unavoidable because those who should not be, are...because someone gave a nerd a gun.

THANKS A LOT, ANNA! (Can't complain much; I've been playing this game since launch.)

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What time exactly do banner trailers usually go up, 7pm or 8pm PST? If past Channels are anything to go by it'll probably go live an hour before. I mean, the upcoming maintenance is explicitly for Book 5, so the Channel has to be later today, right?

Edited by DefyingFates

41 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

What time exactly do banner trailers usually go up, 7pm or 8pm PST? If past Channels are anything to go by it'll probably go live an hour before. I mean, the upcoming maintenance is explicitly for Book 5, so the Channel has to be later today, right?

It depends on whether or not Daylight Savings Time is in effect. Right now, it's 7 PST.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

It depends on whether or not Daylight Savings Time is in effect. Right now, it's 7 PST.

Awesome, thanks! So the channel will probably drop either then or at 6...unless the maintenance is a preliminary one or something, but I think we're getting the banner tomorrow too, so...

But yeah, thanks again! I look forward to our new Dwarf mascots!

Edited by DefyingFates

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Awesome, thanks! So the channel will probably drop either then or at 6...unless the maintenance is a preliminary one or something, but I think we're getting the banner tomorrow too, so...

But yeah, thanks again! I look forward to our new Dwarf mascots!

The banner is tomorrow, yeah.

On 12/5/2020 at 11:08 AM, Mercakete said:

Sorry for the double post but I just had a thought and really wanted to share it fresh. Okay, so here's the theory: KIRAN IS WHY THE WORLD ENDS. And not just in our timeline, but in MOST if not ALL the timelines. Why is that? Because Kiran is the summoner.

Okay, so, characters (including ones from other FE games besides FEH) keep talking about going back home once they're done defending Askr, so they all eventually go back home. Heck, we've already sent a bunch back home in exchange for feathers. This includes people from other worlds AND points in time. Here in the Order of Heroes, they've learned a lot. They've become more powerful, learned new techniques, and learned a lot about other people...including the opposition from their own worlds AND some have even seen their own futures in the form of their older selves or people from many years later (including, in some cases, their own children.) This is also true in the case of several villains. There has never been a more opportune time for espionage/measuring the others' strengths, strategies, ways of thinking, and so on.

And what do you think they'll all do with that information when they go home? (This includes the likes of major FEH villains who will go back to their versions of reality and adjust things so that they don't fail like their counterparts in this world did.)

Even more than that, the deities of FEH (Loki, Freyja, etc.) keep talking about how "special" Kiran is. This could just be pandering to the player's ego, but it could also mean that Kiran is an anomaly who was never actually supposed to be in this world. It could be that reality was, in some way, broken...continuously...like, say, bringing back the dead (Hel, Freyja, Surtr, etc.) for a reason as not-thought-through as "they make great skill fodder" or "I want to score higher."

In fact, reality is probably SO messed up by the time Ragnarok happens that Ragnarok is unavoidable because those who should not be, are...because someone gave a nerd a gun.

THANKS A LOT, ANNA! (Can't complain much; I've been playing this game since launch.)

i can absolutely see this 100%; fits in with both the apocalyptic vibes and the whole mysterious focus around the Summoner without having to actually give out too much detail on who they really are (something something allowing players to project on 'em).

Can't also help but think the Steel world will have something to do with the plot twist there, too. 

Honestly, I'm kind of hoping that rather than being a mythic, the new OC is one of the missing legendaries, either Fire/Spd or Earth/Res.

If not, hopefully they finish the mythic grid with Astra/Res.

Quoting myself from the FEH Channel thread:

• I love the music! Both in the cinematic and the banner trailer. I can't wait to hear more! (But where's Sharena? I wonder if we'll learn more about Alfonse's deal post-Hel too.)
  • So we're getting Fafnir after all. Was it @Mercakete who called it? Congrats! It looks like he's been possessed by his circlet, I wonder who gave it to him - or if he made it for himself in a bid to gain more power for a reason either good or bad, similar to the Norse Fafnir (the steampunk stuff only appears after he puts it on). So he's either getting reformed by the end or dying a tragic death. I hope it's better accepted than Freyja's.
  • So we're getting six OCs this time: Fafnir, Otr, Reginn, the female "Dwarf" and two Valkyries. Interesting. And of course the Valkyries have revealing attire, though I wonder if those are armored birds or more mechs. They look weird. Maybe these two are Odin's "ravens" instead?though I wonder if those are regular pegasi or more mechs. They look weird.
  • I really like Reginn's design! It's surprisingly "subtle"/ down to earth compared to past freebies' and her dialogue so far makes her sound like a dork. I'm curious to learn more about her.
  • Speaking of, it's fitting that the debut banner is FE8 as the story of Fafnir sounds similar to Lyon (and Vigarde) losing his way - which tracks since FE8 also had Norse inspirations - you have Otr as the loyal Selena and Reginn as the Duessel who is loyal to her king but realizes he needs to be stopped.

P.S. Reginn's Astra/ Atk.The Astra/ Res one is still MIA, I'm afraid.

P.P.S. I'm glad Reginn is Fafnir's sister instead of his girlfriend or something. Her being family makes the "trying to redeem a loved one" story more engaging for me since they have more history together.

Edited by DefyingFates

So we're getting Fafnir after all. Was it @Mercakete who called it? Congrats! It looks like he's been possessed by his circlet, I wonder who gave it to him - or if he made it for himself in a bid to gain more power for a reason either good or bad, similar to the Norse Fafnir (the steampunk stuff only appears after he puts it on). So he's either getting reformed by the end or dying a tragic death. I hope it's better accepted than Freyja's.

So we're getting six OCs this time: Fafnir, Otr, Reginn, the female "Dwarf" and two Valkyries. Interesting. And of course the Valkyries have revealing attire, though I wonder if those are armored birds or more mechs. They look weird. Maybe these two are Odin's "ravens" instead?though I wonder if those are regular pegasi or more mechs. They look weird.

Speaking of, it's fitting that the debut banner is FE8 as the story of Fafnir sounds similar to Lyon (and Vigarde) losing his way - which tracks since FE8 also had Norse inspirations - you have Otr as the loyal Selena and Reginn as the Duessel who is loyal to her king but realizes he needs to be stopped.

P.P.S. I'm glad Reginn is Fafnir's sister instead of his girlfriend or something. Her being family makes the "trying to redeem a loved one" story more engaging for me since they have more history together.

I don't think so. I don't have a great memory for details, but I don't recall calling Fafnir. You have some good theories, here, by the way, especially about those two ladies who I think are valkyries (and probably the real antagonists. More on that below.) I really like the mechanical bird idea, though. Seems fitting for this world. Also about the little bro's role. I look forward to that; sounds like his arc will be heartrending.

My own stuff before reading other things:

1. ... Well. There go my hopes for the first male freebie. And the one to speak was probably the "boss" after all...

2. Looks like we get valkyries...and they're not male either. And they look concerning.

3. The character I'm most interested in learning about/seeing is Otr.

4. Theory time. Fafnir seems like he was fine until that circlet appeared on his head. Then he looked like he was in extreme pain. It probably gives him machine control or something, but is it really he who is in control? I don't know. It could be that his mind has been taken by whoever put that thing on him...which would line up with the mythology. After a brief bit of research, I found this fun little thing: "After being affected by the curse of Andvari's ring and gold, Fafnir became a dragon and was slain by Sigurd." (Clearly, I need to have Dancing Sigurd, my only Sigurd, be the one to slay this guy.) Anyway, could this ring from the myth be the circlet that the FEH character wears? Could Andvari, in this case, be one of the valkyries? Could the valkyries be controlling/afflicting the king? Perhaps on Alfador's orders? Will Fafnir turn into a dragon? Will he have a dragon mech? Is his castle actually a giant dragon mech? Are the valkyries called Lyngheidr, and Lofnheidr, myth Fafnir's other siblings?

5. Why is Reginn not a tome/bow/dagger user? She's firing projectiles; not using that sword welded to her gauntlet.

I feel like there's more I thought of, but I'm kind of tired and that's all I can immediately recall without rewatching the trailer.

Edit: Oh right there was also a witch or something. Bleh, whatever. She's probably another of Alfador's harem pantheon.

Also, when I saw her before learning her name, I was calling Reginn "Blue Anna" in my head.

Edited by Mercakete

8 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Edit: Oh right there was also a witch or something. Bleh, whatever. She's probably another of Alfador's harem pantheon.

She looks like Sharena. IntSys, are we really doing this again...?

17 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

5. Why is Reginn not a tome/bow/dagger user? She's firing projectiles; not using that sword welded to her gauntlet.

Maybe Heroes took inspiration from Dungeons & Dragons. In D&D, there is an artificer class that specializes in creating magic items, but combat wise functions a bit like an armored/bulky wizard who can use simple weapons. The newest subclass of artificers is armorer, and armorers can shoot Magic Missiles, and armorers with infiltrator armor also got faster movement speed and got Lightning Launcher.

Edited by XRay

In any case, I'm very hyped to see where this goes. Love the overall aesthetic so far.

I'll be curious to see how the witch girl factors as she clearly does not look of this realm. We also get a look at another realm behind the Valkyries when they show up.

Okay, so first couple chapters. Well, it's nice to get some context on the new world and its place in all this. The fact that it's always at war seems fitting for such a technological world.

Gotta say though, that first chapter might be the most awkwardly handled one yet. Reginn turning is obvious of course but boy, they didn't show her very much. At least with Eir, we knew from her conversation with Hel that her getting captured was intentional. Reginn's turn comes at the drop of a hat, and while the reasons why she's turning are obvious, they're handled very quickly. 

Second chapter also suffers from the "do nothing for 3 parts" curse as many other chapters before it. 

So...kind of an awkward start to this one. Pacing already seems way way off and all over the place. I'm interested still in this new world and characters, but...I can't say their introduction was all that flattering.

Forest Sage Eitri...guessing that's our witch girl.

Edit: Oh, one part I forgot. Curious as to what the situation with the Kiran-look a like at the beginning was about.

Edited by Sentinel07

7 hours ago, Mercakete said:

"After being affected by the curse of Andvari's ring and gold, Fafnir became a dragon and was slain by Sigurd."

That's probably who we see in the prologue: Andvari. It sounds like the scope of his experiments is...huge to say the least, he sounds like a prime candidate for one of the final bosses down the line. If he's connected to Alfador here, maybe FEH's taking the God of War route by saying all gods are terrible people?

And of course, the two biggest mysteries: why does Andvari look just like the Summoner and why is Otr the one obsessed with kidnapping Kiran?  Mercakete, I think you're onto something with your "the Summoner causes Ragnarok" theory - or at least something similar to that. Book 3 was about Alfonse, Book 4 was about Kiran (sort of), I wonder if Book 5 will flesh out Kiran's place in the universe in depth? And the part with Otr is what really intrigues me: maybe he thinks we're the one who screwed Fafnir up due to our similarity to Andvari? My other theory is that he's Andvari himself in disguise (or Loki, since we haven't seen her yet), further manipulating Fafnir. That brother complex thing at the end of Chapter 2 though: that's pretty messed up. Maybe Fafnir's insanity is contagious and/ or emphasized Otr's existing brother worship into something insane?

As for the story: I liked the first chapter for how much plot it had and I have to admit Reginn left a better first impression on me than the other free "waifus". Her bursting into tears and the end of Chapter 1 was hilarious and judging from her other dialogue and quotes: she really is just a huge dork. I love it! (Don't worry though, I'll reserve final judgement until her story comes to a close.) Chapter 2 unfortunately lacked story, but 1 had much more than usual so I'm willing to let the two cancel each other out. Hopefully things will pick up again moving forward.

Speaking of, Eitri*. I felt a little teased by her being namedropped but never showing up, hopefully we see her in Chapter 3. She's also been genderbent, but I'm interested to see how a traditional witch fits into the magitek setting and how she can help. The two Valkyrie intrigue me too, we still haven't heard anything of them and if the poster is anything to go by, at least one of them seems quite concerned about what's going on while the other seems indifferent (I could just be reading too much into it, but her expression is quite pronounced...)

As for the genderflipping...if you look at this Book in isolation, it actually makes sense as a way to balance out the gender roster, as we get two guys and two gals in the main plot...but then you realize this is Fire Emblem, and that idea is latched onto by the obvious reason (I accept that fairies are a traditionally "girly" thing for Book 4, even if the result was us getting five of them and the sole guy did nothing. He got kidnapped right away though so...yay gender role equality?)

* P.S. Eitri is a master blacksmith (also known as Sindri) and made Gullinbursti (what the mechas are named after) as well as Mjolnir and Gungnir to name a few examples. She's probably going to craft or point Reginn and co. in the direction of something to defeat or cure Fafnir. Maybe the original Freyr's ship, Skidbladnir?

Edit: Here's the FEH post including the poster for those interested.

Also, the map music (i.e. the one from the trailer) is SO good!!

Edited by DefyingFates

I just saw the Book V stuff and damn, that's the most interesting FEH has been in a while for me. I'd love a full game with this steampunk setting.

I am getting sick of the freebies always being cute girls though. Would've liked if Reginn was older or tougher looking (like her brothers). 

Edited by Book Bro

3 hours ago, DraceEmpressa said:

That sword emblem, is that Vanaheim's or Asgard's ? tho no surprise Nidavellir's seem to be based on gears

I'm assuming Vanaheim with Asgard being kept secret until the very end. I wonder if Vanaheim will show up here or if it'll only get a cameo here and will get its own Book next year.

Also, I wonder if Brok will be the Mirabilis of this Book, being put on a banner halfway through (considering Eitri got gender flipped, I assume Brok will be too).

Edited by DefyingFates

I'm assuming Vanaheim with Asgard being kept secret until the very end. I wonder if Vanaheim will show up here or if it'll only get a cameo here and will get its own Book next year.

Also, I wonder if Brok will be the Mirabilis of this Book, being put on a banner halfway through (considering Eitri got gender flipped, I assume Brok will be too).

I highly doubt they would show it off in the trailer only for it not to appear at all, since they have yet to do such a thing.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that new realm becomes the focal point of the 2nd half of the book, since Fafnir is likely not the endgame boss of this book.

So just saw the trailer and just gotta say they better give some explanation as to where Alfonse has been this entire time because I'm going to scream if they don't

Also we're getting more girls for allies yay:(                                    Also didn't know we were getting Byleth and Seiros for Valkyries.

And looks like the book is going to be Alfonse focused because he's the only og hero oc on the poster... Book 5 was a lot better than this... Sharena is going to be an afterthought and Anna doesn't exist

Edited by OutcastsofRelix

Still haven't given my opinion on the new book so here it is. Firstly, called it we would get humans with mechas and not actual dwarves. 

The chapters. 

Spoiler

The first chapter was quite weak in my opinion as it focused a lot on on Reginn, her introduction to the story and her allyship with Askr. The second chapter was simple but it essentially introduced the world and set the ground for the rest. I simply hope the pacing way better then 4. Up until the middle (with Mira) the story pretty much didn't move at all and was really boring and then they tried to fit everything in the remaining chapters so I hope that they can balance things about in that department. 

Characters. 

Spoiler

So far the characters look interesting, I guess, though it's too early too tell. Again up until the middle the fairies were dreadfull to even watch however when they gave them an actual character and some sort of motivations beyond gloomy and sexy (for Triandra and Plum respectively) I enjoyed them quite a lot and they became really fun. I can't take Fafinir seriously as I associate the name with the dragon from dragalia. Hope he doesn't pull a Surtr and has more things to show beyond I am evil and brainwashed up until we or someone else kills Him, hopefully he transforms into a dragon with Canto. Otr will be the fan favourite from the book and everyone will love him when the 5 ends I am calling it. Can't tell much except that I have a good feeling about him. Reginn is fun I guess, liked her reason for joining us, she couldn't take the pressure of the war and wanted her family back in a way. What I love is the sibling dynamic they went for, I love it in stories and I hope they properly flesh this relationship out. 

The rest I guess. 

Spoiler

I am really digging the steampunk setting and I really like the music of the book. Also the poster showcases Sharena as a mage will she have some sort of actual involvement or it will be Alfonse only again. One theory I red was that she is linked to the dead one from Lif's world that's why she is kind of pale. Now the important stuff, if we get the sword Valkrie as a playable character before Seiros I will riot. They seem to be flying mechas, one with a sword and the other one with an axe, perhaps they will be fliers with Canto 2 if they are playable after book 5 ends. They seem to be connected to that other world we saw and even have a new insignia so perhaps they won't close their story within this book. Also if they actually are connected to the Allfather then I don't think I can him take him seriously anymore, does the guy have a harem or something? Loki, Thor, Thrasir, Plumeria, Triandra and the bird ladies.

24 minutes ago, OutcastsofRelix said:

So just saw the trailer and just gotta say they better give some explanation as to where Alfonse has been this entire time because I'm going to scream if they don't

Also we're getting more girls for allies yay:(                                    Also didn't know we were getting Byleth and Seiros for Valkyries.

And looks like the book is going to be Alfonse focused because he's the only og hero oc on the poster... Book 5 was a lot better than this... Sharena is going to be an afterthought and Anna doesn't exist

Uh, what do you mean by where Alfonse has been the whole time?

Okay, played through the chapters and there are things to say.

First, that music is growing on me hard. At first, it was a bit odd and I wasn't sure how to feel about it, but that is a jam, man.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, time to launch theories and then give explanations. First... Okay, how to start this... Well, obviously, Fafnir and Otr were really nice guys before Fafnir took the throne. Looks like Otr is only just beginning to go a bit crazy (he even asks himself "What am I saying?!" at one point ... Or, "What am I thinking?!" I don't remember which, specifically.) My guess is that this is exactly because Fafnir took the throne, and Otr has been in close proximity to it.

At the beginning, we see a summoner in muted/yellowed colors talking to someone called "???." I'm thinking that person Yellow Kiran was talking to is Fafnir (after Fafnir took the throne.) At the beginning of the opening movie, we see Fafnir seeming to be just fine until the crown appears on his head, and then we see him look up into a mirror. That's when all the cogs appear. And, actually, the most important piece of evidence is in an unlikely place: the description for one of the new AR structures. It says it's a model of the mirror that hangs above the throne in...the new machine world (I can't be bothered to look at it right now; busy theorizing.) In the ancient world (our own), mirrors were considered highly magical items, and they appeared in all kinds of myths and folklore. Most famously, they were said to hold souls. SUSPICIOUS. I think that the crown Fafnir wears is directly tied to the mirror, the crown being a sort of control device connecting the wearer's mind to the soul trapped in the mirror above the throne. (Bands around the forehead being control devices is also a quintessential theme in scifi, of which steampunk is a subtype.) Now, Fafnir is a very strong and good-natured person (as is noted by Alfonse and Sharena in the story after they hear Rigenn's story of how her adoptive big bro took over the kingdom.) I looks like he's struggling to take control of himself, but is having a very hard time of it and is mostly just sort of flailing in his controller's grip. This is at the very least to the point where he's not fully under mirror spirit's control (having managed to "escape"), but still not in his right mind and ultimately still following mirror spirit's will (also, Fafnir might not actually be presently occupying his body right now if Yellow Kiran has possessed him, which would explain the "escape" shown in the opening scene. Yeah, this is making more sense to me. It also explains why Fafnir seems kind of absent-minded: he's not whole because he's missing his connection to the actual Kiran, which I'll expound on in a bit. Anyway, Fafnir may show up in mirrors if I'm right, since he's living in the reflection of the world, and it explains why he's appalled by all the destruction he sees everywhere. His spirit may be trying to get back to his body, too. Anyway, it also explains why his behavior is exactly the same as how the behavior of the previous king is described: their bodies were both inhabited/controlled by Yellow Kiran. Also why Yellow Kiran commented on Fafnir being "another failure.") It also seems like mirror spirit isn't whole. He's looking for Kiran: the one he's a reflection of. He seems like he knows he's a summoner, and is trying to "summon" by affecting the kings of this place. He also seems to have at least some instinctual knowledge that he needs to rejoin with Kiran. He also seems to lack emotions. After all, he's just what Kiran looks like, not what's within, and he probably longs to be reattached to Kiran again (as much as he can with no emotions.) That's why Fafnir is trying to expand his territory (like we expand our armies via summoning) and get the summoner: it is the will of Yellow Kiran: Mirror Spirit (I can't really take this title seriously, but it's the best I have.) Anyway, Yellow Kiran seems to be influencing the mind of Otr, too, since Otr spends some time near the mirror and is somewhat useful in securing Kiran. Also, the mirror is a circle. Could it also be the "ring" mentioned in the myth, alongside the circlet?

Anyway, onto another, smaller theory. So, some lady was mentioned in the story (can't recall the name.) She lives in the woods and Rigenn is taking us to her. My guess is that she's the witchy lady we see in the artwork. Eitri or something. We'll probably meet her in the next chapter.

One last thing: Otr's behavior and stuff is really reminding me of Leo from Fates. I kind of want to see them interact someday.

Oh, another theory I had: I have a feeling that we'll wind up freeing Fafnir, but Otr will wind up being possessed instead. I also have a feeling that Otr won't survive this book. Fafnir might. Rigenn is for sure safe.

Now that that's all been written, time to go back and look at what other people think!

On a slightly different note, I hope they have more in store in terms of additions to other modes.

They put in those new Book 5 inspired pieces for Aether Raids as well as the new castle theme, but didn't do anything for Mjolnir's Strikes, which hasn't been updated since it came out. They have structures related to all the other Heroes worlds in that mode so I'm hoping they do the same here.