Book V Speculation and Discussion Thread

13 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Also, if we get a Part 2 trailer like we did last book, I wonder if it'll be before or after the June chapter.

If we get a part 2 trailer, I want to see Henriette walking in slo-mo like a boss with Askr Castle erupting like a volcano behind her due to the sheer force of her magic.

Also, actually, what if she's one of the gods and that's why all of this is happening: because Alfador realized his grandkids (Alfonse and Sharena, if Henriette is actually Alfador's daughter) are coming into their own power? Could very well be that Henriette has been flying under the radar for all these years, but something's waking up in her kids and Alfador is noticing it. After all, Alfonse and Sharena are at that age of latent-power-discovery.

All we really know about Henriette is that she met Gustav at the Day of Devotion in Askr, that she married Gustav at some point, that she's the mom of Alfonse and Sharena, and that she doesn't like taking to the battlefield because "her power is not well-suited to it." Also that she's very very smothery-mothery to a bunch of different kinds of people. That is, she loves babying people/showing them uninhibited love. And in FE lore, gods have classically had a sort of parent-child relationship with the people they used their powers for (all kinds of parents, most easily seen with Mila and Duma's parenting wars. Like, literal wars.)

Fallen Edelgard FB Spoilers:

Spoiler

Plus, Mila shows up really prominently in Fallen Edelgard's FB, which could be a small hint toward this theory.

Could be that Henriette felt that there wasn't much interpersonal connection going on back in deity-land and so she came to the Day of Devotion festivities to get a break from that and experience how the motrals showed love for one another. And then she met Gustav and that was that.

Of course, there isn't really enough evidence for me to be totally settled on this theory. This is just one that makes sense with what we know so far. (And if it's true, then it's a good thing Sharena didn't drink the power nectar when she was a kid, because that may have awoken her powers too early and really caught Alfador's attention.) Like, why are all the worlds attacking Askr? (A question posed by Pent in his FB.) The summoner is the obvious answer, especially since it was Embla invading when Kiran was summoned, and that's not all so unusual. But why all of these world-ending events one right after another, and all aimed at Askr? Of course, this happened after the summoner appeared, and everyone keeps commenting on how Kiran being around is strange. And the Emblian imperial family's curse has been around for at least a couple generations. Of course, that said, what if that curse happened at around the same time that Henriette married Gustav? Embla (the dragon) hates Askr (the dragon) and that shows up in what Veronica says when she's in crazy mode. But was Embla the "dark god/demon" who cursed Embla? What if it was actually Henriette in trying to protect her husband? And what if that was when she realized that she couldn't use her powers willy-nilly on the battlefield? To the Emblians, it would have looked like the work of a dark god. And what if she was the one who wound up killing Bruno's mom (probably accidentally)? He's older than Alfonse is, and Veonica is quite a bit younger than he (Bruno) is, so it makes sense with the timeline. Plus, it's canon that Bruno and Veronica have different mothers (this was said back in book 1, I think) and that the previous queen of Embla (Bruno's mom) died.

I need to review some things, because there's Hel's behavior to consider, too. She specifically targeted Gustav, saying something about how he somehow went against the natural order of things or something (either in early book 3 or in the paralogue between books 2 and 3.) I think it was also either Gustav or Henriette who told Alfonse about how the Emblians refused to help close the gate which was opened to the world of Hel, which was why they just put a barrier around it. Maybe this was after Henriette killed the previous queen of Embla? And Hel having a grudge against Gustav specifically could mean 1 of 3 things: either she's annoyed because he stopped her from taking all of the living into her realm, she's annoyed because he was supposed to die and for some reason (Henriette) he didn't, or because someone else died (the previous queen of Embla) and incited her against him as revenge against Henriette. Like, "I died so you took my son and husband from me, so I'll take your husband (and son, if she knew about Alfonse at the time, but I don't think he'd been born yet) from you" kind of deal. It would also explain why Henriette did nothing while Hel was invading either time: she was afraid to use her power because it could have horrible consequences for other people. Also, it could be that she felt she deserved what was coming, which may also be why we don't see her reaction to Gustav dying (plus, the focus was Alfonse at the time.)

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/8/2021 at 4:09 PM, Mercakete said:

[SNIP]

Oooooh, I like this theory! Her being a god in disguise would really ramp up the world-building a ton and bring the Alfador storyline that much closer to home, this is a great idea! Thanks as always, Merky! Even if Henriette isn't a god though, I expect she's... not going out without a fight, if nothing else 😛

On 5/12/2021 at 4:00 AM, DefyingFates said:

Oooooh, I like this theory! Her being a god in disguise would really ramp up the world-building a ton and bring the Alfador storyline that much closer to home, this is a great idea! Thanks as always, Merky! Even if Henriette isn't a god though, I expect she's... not going out without a fight, if nothing else 😛

Thanks!

Also, huh. "Merky"'s a new one. On this site, I've been called Merc, Merca, Kete, and Mercakete, but this is the first time I've been called Merky. (I imagine it sounds like Murky, which I guess fits since I do a lot of shooting in the dark with my theories? Like, the future is murky (lit. "shadowed" I think, from the word "myrkr" which means "dark") or something...) Welp. Guess I'm a dark dragon now. Time to eat a country, I suppose. Hope some intrepid teenager doesn't stick another one of Naga's sword-teeth in me like what happened to various other dragons.

Also, yes, Henriette is either going to blow stuff up or just get killed. Either is as likely as the other, I think. All depends on what the writers want to do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 10:24 AM, Mercakete said:

(I imagine it sounds like Murky, which I guess fits since I do a lot of shooting in the dark with my theories? Like, the future is murky (lit. "shadowed" I think, from the word "myrkr" which means "dark") or something...)

...yes. That's absolutely what I meant. Well reasoned! 🙃

As for Henriette, yeah. Hopefully we do get something big and not another Gunnthra situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Mild kudos to the game for not revealing the apparent final villain at the start of the story. Still too little too late for me to give two figs about the story. I'm calling it now -- it's going to have an interesting middle and a disappointing ending, like all the others.

3 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Hide contents

Mild kudos to the game for not revealing the apparent final villain at the start of the story. Still too little too late for me to give two figs about the story. I'm calling it now -- it's going to have an interesting middle and a disappointing ending, like all the others.

Disappointing all depends on how you set your expectations, doesn't it?

Just now, Othin said:

Hide contents

Disappointing all depends on how you set your expectations, doesn't it?

I currently have no expectations whatsoever and I still expect to be disappointed. Book 4 was when I gave up on everything and I still ended up being disappointed by the end.

Spoiler

Looks like they're going to draw from Mythology for Fafnir, he gets a dragon form courtesy of Eitri, who's probably going to take the main villain role from this point on. I wonder how they'll handle giving us Fafnir in a future banner though since now he has two forms and I don't think they'd ignore either as his regular form is unique for Lance Cavalries and a dragon with a unique design can be an easy selling point. 

Edited by Medeus

The following is after seeing the midpoint movie:

WELL HECK.

Anyway, yup. Fafnir dragon transformation. Looks like it came into play after all!

And yup; as predicted, poor Fanir is basically a tool and Eitri is the real big bad. Otr's kind of delusional, too, but it's probably because he desperately wants Fafnir to stay with him, even if it's in an unnatural form. And Eitri's special summon gun seems to have transformed Fafnir. It'll be fun to see the specifics as they come; I'm getting kind of excited.

Oh right and Reginn has the sword and can activate it and stuff. 'Kay.

Music's good.

Fallen Fafnir next year? He can join Edelgard in Extreme Transformation Camp.

Edit: Also, I wonder if Fafnir's going to get to be rescued at the end or if he'll tragically die. Maybe he'll hit halfway in the middle and just go back to wherever he was summoned from. Otr is probably going to join up with Lif's group at the end of book 5. Eitri will probably die and have some sort of "feel sorry for her" moment at the end (I hope not.) I feel a bit bad that this trailer more or less spoiled the final fight with Fafnir. It's not like it wasn't already spoiled, but...come on. Reginn having to use the sword to beat the bad dragon... ... Actually, that's more or less exactly the same as Falchion vs every dark/deranged dragon ever. She even needed to have the blood of the previous rulers to use it. Yeesh... If IS had hidden that instead of reminding us with each trailer, that would've been a lot better, I think.

Edited by Mercakete

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

Anyway, yup. Fafnir dragon transformation. Looks like it came into play after all!

I genuinely thought they would skip that part of the lore and just keep the "Gram beats circlet" thing: clearly not! Fafnir's steampunk dragon design is pretty cool too, and given how long it is he could even be our very first Cavalry Dragon, that could be fun! And I was hoping you'd have commented on this, I'm glad I was right!

2 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Otr's kind of delusional, too, but it's probably because he desperately wants Fafnir to stay with him, even if it's in an unnatural form. And Eitri's special summon gun seems to have transformed Fafnir. It'll be fun to see the specifics as they come; I'm getting kind of excited.

I didn't think about the bolded part, but I think you're onto something there. As for Eitri's gun, I think it's safe to say that's the counterfeit Breidablik she's been working on. I can't help but feel this was a huge spoiler to drop right now, even if it recounts what's about to happen on Tuesday (I'd rather they released it after the chapter, like Book III's ending video), but oh well. I'm excited too, though!

Fallen Fafnir next year? He can join Edelgard in Extreme Transformation Camp.

Oh, sweet Naga...

...but he's not a waifu, so he'll be nowhere near as powerful.

She even needed to have the blood of the previous rulers to use it. Yeesh... If IS had hidden that instead of reminding us with each trailer, that would've been a lot better, I think.

Perhaps, but if they kept the full details of the sword hidden it may have also come off as a Deus ex Machina, so I'm not too upset by the decision.

Music's good.

Agreed! It's a neat spin on the Nidavellir theme from before and hopefully it's part of the next chapter too (like how Freyja's theme debuted in both her trailer and the chapter right after it).

So: Fafnir really is getting killed off partway? I know we all speculated that, but I'm still surprised that they actually did it! I suppose I could see him recovering in the background and coming back from the finale, but killing him off would keep the narrative simple. That final shot suggests he's dying "as himself" at least, so that'll be sweet to see.

Hey, time to bounce theories off of each other again, I guess!

On 6/6/2021 at 6:19 AM, DefyingFates said:

I genuinely thought they would skip that part of the lore and just keep the "Gram beats circlet" thing: clearly not! Fafnir's steampunk dragon design is pretty cool too, and given how long it is he could even be our very first Cavalry Dragon, that could be fun! And I was hoping you'd have commented on this, I'm glad I was right!

The steampunk dragon looks a lot like some of the black beasts from FE16 to me, actually, with those weird red eyes and long mouths. But yeah, when Fafnir's mech wasn't a dragon, I thought that they might leave the dragon bit alone, but this fits nicely into how IS likes to design/write things. Cav dragon would be cool. And it's nice that you like my musings on this stuff; I feel appreciated. ^_^

I didn't think about the bolded part, but I think you're onto something there. As for Eitri's gun, I think it's safe to say that's the counterfeit Breidablik she's been working on. I can't help but feel this was a huge spoiler to drop right now, even if it recounts what's about to happen on Tuesday (I'd rather they released it after the chapter, like Book III's ending video), but oh well. I'm excited too, though!

Yeah, that certainly seems to be the case. I like that IS made it huge, actually. Makes sense. Older tech is usually bigger than newer tech, and Eitri's still trying to figure ol' Bried out. I don't think of it as much of a spoiler, though, and I'm still being cautious about withdrawing my other theory: that the Eitri we see is actually a puppet, and the real Eitri is her gun.

Oh, sweet Naga...

...but he's not a waifu, so he'll be nowhere near as powerful.

I wasn't betting on power, but powercreep is an inevitability anyway. I was more thinking about how drastic the transformation is. Like, they're actual monstrosities who are extremely visually different from their normal forms.

Perhaps, but if they kept the full details of the sword hidden it may have also come off as a Deus ex Machina, so I'm not too upset by the decision.

True. That said...I mean, if we're going to have anything ex machina, this is the book to do it in. 😛 

So: Fafnir really is getting killed off partway? I know we all speculated that, but I'm still surprised that they actually did it! I suppose I could see him recovering in the background and coming back from the finale, but killing him off would keep the narrative simple. That final shot suggests he's dying "as himself" at least, so that'll be sweet to see.

I don't think him transforming is the same as him dying, and I don't think he'll be killed until towards the end (if he does wind up dying.) Him dying as himself, though... It's a bit too much like the scene with Hel and Eir, and the bit with Freyja and the dark fairies, so I hope they don't go that route. If they hadn't already done that in the previous two books, then I'd probably enjoy it more. Thinking about it, it'll probably be more of "let him go back to his own world" to show a contrast between Reginn and Otr, the former being willing to let her brother go because that's what's best for him, and the latter not being willing to let go, even if it means sacrificing him.

I've overestimated IS before, though.

My thoughts after playing the chapter:

Okay, the Henriette bit was very, very disappointing. Talk about anticlimactic. For a sec, I thought Fafnir actually killed her, but I guess he just threw her at Alfonse or something. That said, we did get something out of that exchange: Fafnir probably found the gate that leads back to his home world (which is why he was drawn to it and asked the Askran royals to open it.) But something else interesting showed up, too. Henriette refused to open it. Like, what? Only those of the Askran royal bloodline can open gates, and from what we've seen so far, Gustav is the one with that bloodline, not Henriette. (His talking about how he was raised to be the next king, etc.) Maybe this was just an oversight on IS' part.

Anyway, Fafnir was imprisoned and we found out some stuff about the circlet (we already knew it was the source of Fafnir's power, but now we know it can't be removed except by either death or the one who wears it.) It was cool to see a lull in the war, too. Anna managing things while people recovered and such. It's a nice glimpse into what things are like directly after a book finishes. Also, that tower. I wonder if there's that mirror in there, but I thought it was supposed to be in the throne room above the throne. Hm. Well, whatever's causing people to go crazy is in there, obviously. But seriously, why aren't the Askrans worried about Eitri and Otr? It's like they think that having Fafnir imprisoned ended the conflict.

Ironically, I have a headache today, so I guess I'm kind of relating to Fafnir?

While it might be an oversight on IS's part, there's no guarantee that Fafnir knows that Henriette shouldn't be able to open the gate. And she probably isn't going to tell him she CAN'T open it if Fafnir thinks she can, lest he decides that there's no point in keeping her alive if she can't do what he wants her to do.

Fascinating:

So this is the first time something from another book was aknowledged in a different book (Gustavs death). remember how this wasnt brought up in Book 4 at all. Which means Book 5 plays after Book 3.

I guess with Loki showing up the plot thickens. And this is the first time i see someone from another Book get screentime (Fjorm) outside of Loki in a Book.

But i guess this will amount to nothing. I dont see how Loki will play a major part. She is probably just plotarmor to free Fafnir. And to make it so IS can later say that Loki was involved in every Book.

@Sunwoo

Good point. Though, you'd think he'd be informed about who could actually do that... That said, at the time, he wasn't entirely in his right mind and mostly just going off of instinct, so he may have asked whoever was nearby.

@Hilda

Actually, the first time a previous book was referenced/when a character from another book showed up was earlier in this book, when Peony appeared. ...Except, I guess, when Loki appeared in Book 3, since she debuted in Book 2. And, of course, everything follows after Book 1.

As for Loki showing up, oh yeah, I forgot about that. Weird, since it was actually an important part. She's going to bust Fafnir out, which is pretty important. She also didn't show up until Kiran and the Askr trio left, which may be important (like, she didn't want to try until they were out of the way.)

On 6/8/2021 at 10:11 AM, Mercakete said:

The steampunk dragon looks a lot like some of the black beasts from FE16 to me, actually, with those weird red eyes and long mouths.

Same here, but this one looks more elongated, so I'm hoping it's considered Cavalry. That and the steam pipes jutting out of it look really interesting in a twisted sort of way.

And it's nice that you like my musings on this stuff; I feel appreciated. ^_^

^_^

Makes sense. Older tech is usually bigger than newer tech

Ooh, that's a very good point, thanks again!

It's a bit too much like the scene with Hel and Eir, and the bit with Freyja and the dark fairies, so I hope they don't go that route.

When you put it that way, you have a point... Fafnir dying would end up a mix of the two, with him genuinely repenting like Freyja and actually dying like Hel.

Anna managing things while people recovered and such. It's a nice glimpse into what things are like directly after a book finishes. I wonder if there's that mirror in there, but I thought it was supposed to be in the throne room above the throne.

Yeah, showing us that downtime was a really sweet touch! I didn't think about the mirror before, but you may be onto something there too!

Ironically, I have a headache today, so I guess I'm kind of relating to Fafnir?

I should hope so! I hope it got better quickly!

• 4 weeks later...

It seems to me that the selection of the location Nidavellir is a good step.  I'm expecting a separate story or a prequel about the incredible dwarf technology. I am interested in the history of the creation of the summon gun. I know that there is a possibility that the creators of this miracle have nothing to do with Nidavellir. I recently found several book reports  https://edusson.com/write-my-book-report about this story. Enthusiasts tried to recreate or predict the events of the creation of Nidavellir. The specialists used myths for this, but it seems to me that the scenario of the new book is impossible to predict.

Edited by auwebber23