Nintendo announces that Super Mario Maker 1 Servers will be shut down and remove on the Wii U eShop on March 31st, 2021

King Marth 64

I did saw this from GameXplain mentioned that Super Mario Maker 1 on the Wii U will be get a server shut down, the official Super Mario Maker 1 Bookmark website will be closed down, and there won't be anymore course uploads on March 31st, 2021. Plus, it will be removed on the Wii U eShop on March 31st, 2020 as well due to it's heavily involved with online. If you still have Super Mario Maker 1, you might want to Bookmark the courses that you want to play before March 31st, 2020.

Reminder if anyone still has SMM1 right now: If any of you haven't seen any of courses that the users from Serenes Forest users have submitted for SMM1, you can find the course codes that we had submitted them here years ago before the server shuts down on March 31st, 2021. You can also check the Bookmark site such as this one for example that I recommended if you want to play them in a faster way by selecting the courses to play them later on SMM1 before the servers shuts down.

Edited by King Marth 64

With Nintendo's recent behavior I'm surprised this hasn't happened back when the second game released.

I've got no bright ideas on what's so special about that date. Up until now I was anticipating a rollout of a new "Virtual Console" service that's separate from the Nintendo Online subscription. But I have no idea how Mario Maker ties into that since it's not a retro game. I'm just going to treat it as a coincidence rather than an omen that the Wii U/3DS eshops are shutting down on the same date. I do think that's likely in 2021, but if it were that close, we would have heard about it by now. The Wii's eshop gave us six months of warning before we could stop buying things. And an additional year to redownload stuff linked to your account

Edited by Glennstavos

Alas, a shame for the people still playing the first game. But at least I can take comfort knowing that Nintendo would never pull support away from those of us playing Super Mario Maker 2, right? ...Right?

On 11/25/2020 at 1:09 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Yes, by Sniper Luigi.

Nah, Luigi already got his year. Next up, I see - the Decade of Birdo!