What are the best units to train in The Binding Blade?

sinfonic18

4 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

Well, scratch that actually. After digging around all night I was blessed and lucky as heck to find my save file just appear out of thin air when I restarted the game! Honestly, I have no words for what happened, nor do I care now, because I am just thankful and relieved to have my saves back XD. My god that was terrifying. 

I have just had the most terrible luck with this game! Makes playing it even better I guess, since fate sure doesn't want me to. lol. But anyways, onto the topic at hand....

I've noticed this with the Arena in the Sacred Stones and Binding Blade. Hard mode seems to make it near impossible for certain units, I guess due to the randomness of it. Most of the time I'll get matched to an opponent with outrageous stats and a weapon advantage, and I'll have such a low hitrate I'll always miss and in turn get my crap kicked in in like 2 rounds. Only certain amounts of units do the Arena successfully (Like @OriginalRaisins said, my bow users almost never lost a battle, a long with Gonzales and Rutger who tore the Arena up) whereas units like Alen and Dieck got murdered every time they went in. For me, it didn't just happen when the bid got higher, it was from the beginning. Only thing most of my units could beat was really bad Soldiers and those enemies suck. I'm on Chapter 12 now again, and the only new unit(s) I'll have to train in the Arena are Melady and Raigh (hopefully) which shouldn't have an issue with it since one is a god and the other uses magic. 

On another topic that I've been wanting to talk about: Lances. Lances absolutely suck in this game. Everytime I get them even if they're silver I throw them away or sell them. In my opinion there is no reason to use them in this game since they have less hitrate than swords and less might than axes, and the excel at neither. Lance users have actually been a heck of a lot more inaccurate for me than any axe user in this game. It's gotten to the point where I'm basically just using axes and swords on my horseback units and just swords on Shanna. 

Sorry about the lance rant there, but dang, did they nerf that weapon in this one.

oh there is reason to use lance: when the enemy is either using sword or lance like in later half of the game

killer lance exist you know. . if you dont stock a hefty amount of it, thats your decision. if you feel frustated at all about lance, that probably means you use steel lance. i never want to use that past halfway point of the game. either killer or silver, other than that go home. use swords i guess.

hard mode buff enemy in arena? really? never noticed that. but its true some units fare better in it. and my Alan also having a hard time that i bench him early due to low speed for a cav is sucks

also i dont understand when you said it happen "from the beginning" beginning as in early chapter, or the first time a particular unit got into arena (regardless of chapter). since both didnt matter/affect at all to arena enemy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, joevar said:

killer lance exist you know. . if you dont stock a hefty amount of it, thats your decision. if you feel frustated at all about lance, that probably means you use steel lance. i never want to use that past halfway point of the game. either killer or silver, other than that go home. use swords i guess.

Yeah, Killer Lances is where lances really shine. They're the only killer weapon that is more accurate than the Iron tier of its type, which means that its base accuracy of 75 is almost as high as on Killing Edges (80) and Killer Axes (65). The latter is still technically better against enemy lance users like all the wyverns you encounter in lategame (same accuracy, +2 damage), but not by a big margin.

And Killer Lances are first buyable in the chapter that Milady joins in, just in case anyone still thought there was any competition for who the best character in the game is.

16 hours ago, ping said:

And Killer Lances are first buyable in the chapter that Milady joins in, just in case anyone still thought there was any competition for who the best character in the game is.

best character in the game? nah, thats too small. one of best unit in the entire series is where she's at

a flier unit with very strong defense? check
capping many stats way before max lvl? check
a lady with tragic love story? check
good characterization (dont hold prejudice despite bern native & know her priority)? check

Edited by joevar

On 12/16/2020 at 7:54 AM, ping said:

Nah dude Wade is the best character in the game.

On 12/16/2020 at 7:32 AM, joevar said:

oh there is reason to use lance: when the enemy is either using sword or lance like in later half of the game

hard mode buff enemy in arena? really? never noticed that. but its true some units fare better in it. and my Alan also having a hard time that i bench him early due to low speed for a cav is sucks

also i dont understand when you said it happen "from the beginning" beginning as in early chapter, or the first time a particular unit got into arena (regardless of chapter). since both didnt matter/affect at all to arena enemy

Ah true, I've stocked up on a few killer lances, but still, in my opinion they're outclassed by swords. Yeah the killer is the probably the best lance there my units still seem to have less dodge chances with lances as opposed to swords. And in this game especially, I prefer to have higher dodge chances than more power and the possibility to crit, since I am the only person who can have an 80%+ chance to crit, and I will not crit. both times. xD 

Yeah Alan kinda sucks. I benched him a long time ago to when he was sucking hard in the arena, it just wasn't worth it to me to train him. Lance is better due to higher skill and speed as opposed to higher strength and HP like Alan. 

Aaaand, I should've elaborated on that, my apologies. What I meant by it "from the beginning" is the very first Arena you encounter in the game, on CH 7, and being in the early levels of it (1 to 10). Most of my units couldn't handle it. And it only got worse to dang near impossible in the upper levels.

Aaaand, I should've elaborated on that, my apologies. What I meant by it "from the beginning" is the very first Arena you encounter in the game, on CH 7, and being in the early levels of it (1 to 10). Most of my units couldn't handle it. And it only got worse to dang near impossible in the upper levels

huh... but like i said. it should not matter at all what lvl you go in arena. because the game will pair you with matching lvl in 500~800 bid and higher than your lvl but still below 10 lvl differences for higher than that. if you think the unit fail, then mostly its because their stat is too low for their lvl. but really, just try again again and again XD. just shuffle thru the bid for training lesser unit.

Ah true, I've stocked up on a few killer lances, but still, in my opinion they're outclassed by swords. Yeah the killer is the probably the best lance there my units still seem to have less dodge chances with lances as opposed to swords. And in this game especially, I prefer to have higher dodge chances than more power and the possibility to crit, since I am the only person who can have an 80%+ chance to crit, and I will not crit. both times. xD

not few, but much that your stock last to end of the game!!

not suggesting you cant trade lance with sword when given the chances. but there are already so many competent sword user. having your Pereceval and Lance use lance against sword user wont really hurt. and this way your flier can still wield lance and ORKO enemy without resorting to iron sword than cant ORKO high lvl enemy due to their bulky HP in HM

Edited by joevar

23 hours ago, joevar said:

huh... but like i said. it should not matter at all what lvl you go in arena. because the game will pair you with matching lvl in 500~800 bid and higher than your lvl but still below 10 lvl differences for higher than that. if you think the unit fail, then mostly its because their stat is too low for their lvl. but really, just try again again and again XD. just shuffle thru the bid for training lesser unit.

not few, but much that your stock last to end of the game!!

not suggesting you cant trade lance with sword when given the chances. but there are already so many competent sword user. having your Pereceval and Lance use lance against sword user wont really hurt. and this way your flier can still wield lance and ORKO enemy without resorting to iron sword than cant ORKO high lvl enemy due to their bulky HP in HM

That was most likely it since the units you get at the beginning of the game, while they have great growths and eventually turn out powerful, have pretty terrible base stats and it's hard to get them out of that slump especially if you're unlucky like me. That's basically what I do, if a unit get there butt beat I use another unit and see if they can do so, and whatnot. When all my units I'm training get beat by the same enemy, that REALLY sucks. XD

I actually took your advice and started using the Killer lance, and damn am I glad! It's actually better than probably the Silver Lance even and while I don't get the crit bonus often, it's got more power than iron and better accuracy then steel. It actually makes lances useable for me. I went and bought a bunch, but now I'm out of Merlinus space. xD

1 hour ago, sinfonic18 said:

That was most likely it since the units you get at the beginning of the game, while they have great growths and eventually turn out powerful, have pretty terrible base stats and it's hard to get them out of that slump especially if you're unlucky like me. That's basically what I do, if a unit get there butt beat I use another unit and see if they can do so, and whatnot. When all my units I'm training get beat by the same enemy, that REALLY sucks. XD

I actually took your advice and started using the Killer lance, and damn am I glad! It's actually better than probably the Silver Lance even and while I don't get the crit bonus often, it's got more power than iron and better accuracy then steel. It actually makes lances useable for me. I went and bought a bunch, but now I'm out of Merlinus space. xD

how the hell can you get merlinus out of space , please clean up the trash item XD

3 hours ago, joevar said:

how the hell can you get merlinus out of space , please clean up the trash item XD

About 9000 vulnerarys that you keep forgetting to bring into your units inventory every chapter like a moron. xP 

2 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

About 9000 vulnerarys that you keep forgetting to bring into your units inventory every chapter like a moron. xP 

keep buying but never use huh? i know that feel

On 12/19/2020 at 4:33 AM, joevar said:

keep buying but never use huh? i know that feel

It's not that I buy them per-say, (I might've bought a few at the beginning of the game because I run out of them quickly) but it's the fact that almost every unit you recruit has them and I immediately bench most units I recruit so therefor their inventory goes into the convoy lol. I never get around to selling it XD.

Spoiler

Edited by sinfonic18