Walkthrough the Fire & Flames, with Breath of Fire II (Retranslation)!

FionordeQuester

Deis doesn't start having unique dialogue till around Farm Town, I believe, so she'll be missing for a bit.

PARTY CHAT (Sten—Wounded Warrior...):

8-Spar.PNG Aspara: Castles like the one in Highland were common in ancient times, advanced weapons of war.  They were called Flying Fortresses.

Aha!  So it WAS an intentional reference!

29-Bosch.PNG Bosch (in the lobby): Highland's ruler is a real 'warrior princess'...brave and beautiful, with a mind sharp as a razor blade!

29-Bosch.PNG Bosch (in his room): Who would've guessed that a goofball like Sten could ever have lived through hell like that?...

32-Rand.PNG Rand (in the lobby): Highland is a military state.  Every man and woman of age is enlisted in the army.

32-Rand.PNG Rand (in his room): Sten's such a big phony...though you can't hate him for it.

35-Katt.PNG Lin (in the lobby): So a flying castle was Highland's secret weapon...who would've thought?

35-Katt.PNG Lin (in her room): Sten's always putting the moves on Nina and me, but he doesn't say a thing about how he feels to the girl he really loves...

I just don't get him.

38-Nina.PNG Nina (in the lobby): A machine that converts human emotion into energy...hmm.  Sounds familiar...

38-Nina.PNG Nina (in her room): Ryu...if you found yourself falling in love with someone outside your class, like Sten has...what would you do?  

I have a feeling Sten would find his love returned if he were ever to confess it to the princess...

Hint, hint, Ryu.

41-Tapeta.PNG Tapeta (in the lobby): The castle, it is smashed all to pieces!  It will be tres difficult to repair it...

41-Tapeta.PNG Tapeta (in his room): Ah, I can imagine the most romantic scene between Sten and the princess!  "Je t'aime, madame... I want you to marry me!", he says.  "Yes, I will marry you!" she says, and they all live happily ever after!  Of course, knowing Sten, such a grand finale would remain merely the work of my imagination...

And now... The big one.

44-Sten.PNG Sten (in the lobby): Would you like to hear the story of why I never went back to Highland?  Well, here it goes.  

Once upon a time, there was a man who hated his life as a soldier.  He went AWOL one day and never looked back... And that's all there is to it!  Ohohohoho!

44-Sten.PNG Sten (in his room): ...I suppose you'd like me to tell you about Gufheim, wouldn't you?  It's really not worth talking about... But I suppose I owe you the story.

The whole sordid affair was started by a bunch of self-obsessed upstarts who decided to go to war against each other.  In the name of their glory and honor, we were thrown into a slaughterhouse.  Our casualties were staggering.  There were no winners in Gufheim...only survivors, and even they were few and far between.  And all those people died just to satisfy the egoes of the wealthy and privileged... Those who think of war as just a game.  I've seen the true, ugly face of war...and I never want to find myself staring at it again.

Edited by FionordeQuester

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright guys!  Ready for a special guest?  Ready to grind Sten?  READY TO RELIVE YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE emot-shepface.gif ?!?

BoF2.png

Bonus #5: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—Sten Grind at Highfort

SPECIAL GUEST: Word on the Wind
She can be found on Hardcore Gaming 101's Top 47K Games of All Time podcast at http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/category/podcast

NOTE:
She brought up a good point.  Rather than having to feed Sten EXP throughout the game, or needing to slowly grind him here, you could probably OHKO Turvoe with a Shaved Ice from Guntz, and some good luck.  I don't know how MUCH good luck we're talking about there, but it's definitely possible.

ABOUT THE SKULL BRACE:
The target's wisdom gives Death the base hit rate:
Target is enemy: 48/64, 46/64, 44/64, 40/64, 32/64, 24/64, 16/64, 0
Target is player: 40/64, 38/64, 36/64, 32/64, 24/64, 16/64, 8/64, 0

The caster's wisdom gives a modifier:
+0, +10%, +20%, +30%, +35%, +40%, +45%, [+50% or bypasses player Resistance entirely]
[The last one depends on if you're a PC or an Enemy.  PCs get the 50%, Enemies get it guaranteed, in the 205-255 Wisdom range]

The SkullBR and DmndBR multiply the caster wisdomm modifier by 1.5x and 0.5x respectively, but do nothing to the base hit rate of Death.  So, if Katt had 46 Wisdom, her base chance of getting hit by Death is 36/64.  The final boss has the 2nd highest Wisdom modifier you can have (45%), so that becomes 52/64. Hence, the DmndBR reduces that to... 44/64. SkullBR would make it guaranteed to land.

TL;DR, DmndBR is almost worthless, and the SkullBR is actively detrimental.

LEVEL TO HIT, IF NOT GRINDING OR POKING ADDRESSES:
LVL 19—Sten outspeeds Trubo at this level, so he can defeat him with two Fireblasts.

HOW TO ALTER CHARACTER STATS ON EMULATOR:
Tools → RAM Watch → Watches → New Watch → Put in relevant Address (change "size", if you're putting numbers higher than 255) → "Poke" said Addresses
[This is assuming Bizhawk.  Terminology may differ across emulators]

RELEVANT ADDRESS TO POKE, IF STUCK:
7E520E: Slot 1's EXP (change "size" to "4 Bytes")
[Slot 1's other stats, like Attack, Defense, Condition, and etc., come shortly before this one, if you want to play around with those]

The chococensor was a nice touch, got a good chuckle.

Not gonna lie, I get what you mean with the division of Exp in FFIVDS, but I never really thought about doing so and thinking about it, I don't think it would be all that necessary either. I don't think I felt I had a long grind to do for a particular point during that game (The rainbow Pudding on the other hand.....)

10 hours ago, Dayni said:

The chococensor was a nice touch, got a good chuckle.

Not gonna lie, I get what you mean with the division of Exp in FFIVDS, but I never really thought about doing so and thinking about it, I don't think it would be all that necessary either. I don't think I felt I had a long grind to do for a particular point during that game (The rainbow Pudding on the other hand.....)

Lol. Thx!

As for FFIV DS, I didn't mean it like it was a big problem.  Heck, it's one of the ones I'm gonna LP some day.

It's more about how "split EXP" always introduces weird stuff like that, even in the best of games.

Just, practically speaking, you can avoid a lot of unnecessary headache (like this whole episode) just by having a set amount of EXP gained, no matter what.  Absolutely no caveats, other than "the person had to be alive at the end", even if they're in the Reserve party.

Today, we find out what me & Word on the Wind were talking about, in the most disgusting episode yet!  The Queen of Tunlan saga!

BoF2.png

Part 18: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—Decadence (Queen of Tunlan)

(Image was from a Breath of Fire II commercial in Japan.  I'd link it, but... It spoils one of the games most dramatic moments)

ENEMY AI:

Banbhand‌s/Beckonshrooms:
If‌ ‌any‌ ‌monster‌ ‌is‌ ‌under‌ ‌75%‌ ‌HP,‌ ‌Cure‌ ‌1‌ ‌on‌ ‌whichever‌ ‌monster‌ ‌is‌ ‌missing‌ ‌the‌ ‌most‌ ‌(absolute)‌ ‌HP.‌ ‌If‌ ‌there‌ ‌is‌ ‌a‌ ‌tie,‌ ‌choose‌ ‌the‌ ‌last‌ ‌monster‌ ‌slot‌ ‌among‌ ‌those‌ ‌qualifying.
Otherwise,‌ ‌1/64‌ ‌defend‌ ‌
Otherwise,‌ ‌Attack or Cast a Spell
Spell‌ ‌list:‌ ‌Poison Attack or Zombie Attack

Meedid‌s/Myconids:
1/64‌ ‌defend‌ ‌
Otherwise,‌ ‌with‌ ‌probability‌ ‌100%‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌1),‌ ‌5/8‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌2),‌ ‌1/4‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌3),‌ ‌or‌ ‌0‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌4+),‌ Dream Breath
Otherwise‌ ‌Attack‌ ‌
[Note‌ ‌that‌ ‌in‌ ‌a‌ ‌lead-off‌ ‌attack,‌ ‌the‌ ‌first‌ ‌enemy‌ ‌action‌ ‌occurs‌ ‌on‌ ‌turn‌ ‌2.‌]‌

VenusFlies/Dionaeas:
Attack if‌ ‌BuildUp‌ ‌was used last turn
Otherwise, Buildup (75%)
Otherwise,‌ ‌Attack (75%) or Fire Breath (25%)
‌ ‌
Atlas‌i:
1/256‌ ‌defend
Otherwise, Miss (48%), Cast Def-UpX/Shield (40%), or Critical Hit (12%)

Ganga‌s:
Defend (50%)
Otherwise,‌ ‌Attack (75%) or Cast 8.0/Quake (25%)

Hemogluttons:
Run‌ ‌away‌ ‌with‌ ‌probability‌ ‌3/8‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌1-4)‌ ‌or‌ ‌100%‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌5-7)‌ ‌
Otherwise,‌ ‌1/64‌ ‌defend,‌ ‌63/64‌ ‌attack‌

[The‌ ‌probability‌ ‌of‌ ‌running‌ ‌away‌ ‌is‌ ‌intended‌ ‌to‌ ‌be‌ ‌1/16‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌1),‌ ‌1/8‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌2),‌ ‌1/4‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌3),‌ ‌or‌ ‌3/8‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌4+).‌ ‌However,‌ ‌the‌ ‌turn‌ ‌number‌ ‌was‌ ‌capped‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌wrong‌ ‌direction‌ ‌before‌ ‌looking‌ ‌this‌ ‌value‌ ‌up.‌ ‌ Additionally,‌ ‌Hemogluttons ‌are‌ ‌intended‌ ‌to‌ ‌have‌ ‌a 25%‌ ‌chance‌ ‌of‌ ‌casting‌ ‌Dream Breath‌ ‌on‌ ‌turns‌ ‌where‌ ‌they ‌don’t‌ ‌run‌ ‌away‌ ‌or‌ ‌defend.‌ ‌However,‌ ‌the‌ ‌upper‌ ‌byte‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌Y‌ ‌register‌ ‌is‌ ‌cleared‌ ‌before‌ ‌this‌ ‌probability‌ ‌can‌ ‌be‌ ‌read,‌ ‌so‌ ‌this never happens.]

Pepsins:
If‌ ‌any‌ ‌monster‌ ‌is‌ ‌under‌ ‌75%‌ ‌HP,‌ ‌Cure‌ ‌4‌ ‌on‌ ‌whichever‌ ‌monster‌ ‌is‌ ‌missing‌ ‌the‌ ‌most‌ ‌(absolute)‌ ‌HP.‌ ‌If‌ ‌there‌ ‌is‌ ‌a‌ ‌tie,‌ ‌choose‌ ‌the‌ ‌last‌ ‌monster‌ ‌slot‌ ‌among‌ ‌those‌ ‌qualifying.‌
Otherwise,‌ ‌Attack (75%) or Fire Breath (25%)

Ryusights‌/Leukocytes:
1/64‌ ‌defend,‌ ‌63/64‌ ‌attack‌ ‌‌

Fatties/Cellulites:
Run‌ ‌away‌ ‌with‌ ‌probability‌ ‌3/8‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌1-4)‌ ‌or‌ ‌100%‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌5-7)‌ ‌
Otherwise,‌ ‌1/64‌ ‌defend,‌ ‌63/64‌ ‌attack‌ ‌

[The‌ ‌probability‌ ‌of‌ ‌running‌ ‌away‌ ‌is‌ ‌intended‌ ‌to‌ ‌be‌ ‌1/16‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌1),‌ ‌1/8‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌2),‌ ‌1/4‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌3),‌ ‌or‌ ‌3/8‌ ‌(turn‌ ‌4+).‌ ‌However,‌ ‌the‌ ‌turn‌ ‌number‌ ‌was‌ ‌capped‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌wrong‌ ‌direction‌ ‌before‌ ‌looking‌ ‌this‌ ‌value‌ ‌up.‌ ‌ Additionally,‌ ‌Cellulites‌ ‌are‌ ‌intended‌ ‌to‌ ‌have‌ ‌a‌ ‌75%‌ ‌chance‌ ‌of‌ ‌casting‌ ‌Sap‌ ‌on‌ ‌turns‌ ‌where they ‌don’t‌ ‌run‌ ‌away‌ ‌or‌ ‌defend.‌ ‌However,‌ ‌the‌ ‌upper‌ ‌byte‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌Y‌ ‌register‌ ‌is‌ ‌cleared‌ ‌before‌ ‌this‌ ‌probability‌ ‌can‌ ‌be‌ ‌read,‌ ‌so‌ this never happens.]

THE ROUTE:

Melodia:
Talk to old hag
Sail up till you see land, then right to Mt. Maori
Talk to Gedd the Diet Guru with Lin
Sequence triggers…

Mt. Maori (Scatter):
—Most Enemies: Auto
—Beckonshroom: Treat like Shotgun Heads in Whale Cape
—X2 Atlasi + Beckonshroom: Defensive; Flameblast + Jolt, while Ryu & Lin pick an Atlas to gang up on.  Kill the other Atlas on Turn 2.  Done correctly, the Beckonshroom should heal itself, instead of attacking.
—X1-3 Atlasi + Others: Flameblast at least once
—X2 Gangas: Whelp + Lin one, if you can.  Otherwise, x2 Fire Spices & Attack
1st Cave: Snag the Thorn Whip from bottom chest
2nd Cave: Snag Flame Sword while ducking into room to reset encounter rate
Top Floor: Get the rightmost shroom in the center island, then get Mirror!  
Entrance: Get the Mirror, drink from the fountain, then sail back to Melodia

Melodia:
—UNEQUIP: Courage Belts from Rand
—CHANGE PARTY: Ryu/Lin/Sten/Aspara
—EQUIP: Silver Knife + Courage Belt to Ryu, x2 Courage Belts to Lin, Thorn Whip + Courage Belt to Aspara, & Courage Belt to Sten
—UNEQUIP: Holy Scarf from Sten
Enter the Queen

Queen (Defensive; Normal for Cellulites (or Scatter on solo Pepsins, if safe)):
For red rooms
------------------------
—Prioritize Pespsin → Leukocytes → Hemogluttons.  
—Use Flameblast on Pepsins, if they appear in a group (use Wisdom Seeds if needed)
Fast Foods to Sten, Power Foods to Ryu

For blue rooms
------------------------
Arrange Courage Belts so everyone’s either under 99 ATK or over 132 ATK.
Prioritize attacking Cellulites above all else!
—Once Aspara hits LVL 19, you'll want to swap in Rand!
Get Therapy Pillow by talking to woman in treasure room
Rest at the Inn

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:

phrasing%20(21).png

You'd think they'd at least be able to decide on "singular vs plural" within the same text box...

naming%20(11).png

Now THAT I would've like to see!

And now... The seed of evil that started it all...

BoF2.png

Part 19: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—Memories (Aruhamel)

PLOT POINTS (Gone forever, if done before recruiting Beretta.  She upgrades her wares for every 8 you get, up to a max of 24):
1. Breaking Nimufu's curse on Jean.
2. Recruiting Seso.
3. Acquire the dragon powers from the old man behind the waterfall.
4. Recruiting three residents and expanding Township.
5. Defeating Jailer.
6. Finishing the cooking contest in SimaFort.
7. Defeating Kuwadora.
8. Finding out about the Gate incident at the Rangers' Guild.
9. Defeating Munmar.
10. Defeat M.C.Tusk.
11. Acquiring the Famous Flute.
12. Finding out about the Queen of Tunlan's condition.
13. Defeating the monsters inside the Queen's body.
14. Defeating Aruhamel.

NOTE:
There's a stat booster you could get on the 3rd Floor—a Miso Soup that raises Wisdom.  But, we already have all we need for cooking Gold Bricks later, so I didn't bother.

ENEMY AI:
C.Bears/Striker Bears (50% Critical Hits; No resistance to status ailments):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (75%) or Atk-Up/Might (25%)

S.Idols/Stone Faces (Weak to Fire; Always goes last; No resistance to status ailments):
50% to Defend
Otherwise, Attack or Cold Breath

Gangas (Always goes last; No resistance to status ailments):
50% to Defend
Otherwise, Attack (75%) or Cast 8.0/Quake (25%)

Rapiders/Rapid Hunters (Attack twice; Weak to wind):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, FireBrth with probability 17/256 (if over 50% HP), 33/256 (if over 25% and at most 50%), 65/256 (if over 12.5% and at most 25%), or 129/256 (if 12.5% HP or under)
Otherwise Attack

Jackies/Army Men:
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (87%) or Cure 1/Heal (13%)

[These have perfect Magic Defense... But that doesn't matter against items.  Fire Spices are counted as an "Item Attack", rather than a "Magic Attack"... Fire Spices just happen to have the exact same effect as the Fireblast spell.]

Power Eaters (Weak to fire):
Run away with probability 3/8 (turn 1-4) or 100% (turn 5-7)
Otherwise, 1/64 defend, 63/64 attack

[The probability of running away is intended to be 1/16 (turn 1), 1/8 (turn 2), 1/4 (turn 3), or 3/8 (turn 4+).  However, the turn number was capped in the wrong direction before looking this value up.  These are also intended to have a 50% chance of casting Drain or Sap on turns where they don’t run or defend.  However, the upper byte of the Y register is cleared before this probability and spell list can be read, so this never happens]

RoadSlugs/Lord Slugs (Weak to Fire):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack or Cast a Spell
Spell list: Thunder/Jolt or S.Boom/Lightning

[These are intended to cast only Drain/Leech Power when their AP is 12.5% or lower.  However, this check is bugged, so this will never happen.]

ARUHAMEL AI:
If hit by fire dragon/magic/item last turn, or with probability 9/16 (turn 1-2), 3/4 (turn 3-6), 0 (turn 7-10), or 1/4 (turn 11+), use IdiotLzr/Amnesia Beam (“Forget your magic!”).
Otherwise, 1/64 defend.
Otherwise, Attack (75%) or Cast a Spell (25%)
Spell list: Dream Breath (50%), Poison Breath (25%), Cure 2/Rejuvenate (25%)

[Amnesia Beam seems to make all party members forget 1-3 of their spells each time it's used.  However, it can be used even when no one has any spells left.  Plus, it's ALWAYS used when Aruhamel was hit with fire last turn, even from a dragon or item... So you can stun-lock him].

THE ROUTE:

Overworld:
—EQUIP: Buster Sword to Ryu & Holy Scarf to Aspara
Sail back to Whale Cape, then go back to Gandalf the Elder Tree

Memory (Defensive):
—X2 Rapid Hunters: Auto
—Ganga + Stone Face: Scatter; Paralyze Ganga and kill the other
Go upper-left to Heartland, then talk to sequence trigger in the upper-right
—BUY: x18 Fire Spices
Leave, then re-enter, Gandalf

Memory Tower (Defensive):
—Lord Slugs: Lin melee & Sten Fireblast
—Power Eaters: Auto
—Army Men: Lin Fire Spice
1st Floor: Talk to the top NPC twice to get the Auto Bow & Earth Armor.  Equip that Earth Armor to Ryu while casting Exit.  Talk to that same NPC for a 3rd and final time, then go to the next floor
2nd Floor: Cast Smoke, then talk to NPC to get to the 3rd Floor
4th Floor: Get Alloy Band in the lower-right corner, then cast Smoke around when you go up and bump into a wall (equip Alloy Band to Lin as you do so)
6th Floor: Cast Smoke when you start going up

---------------------------------------------------------
VS. Alzheimer (1600 HP): Scatter
Smack ‘em, while Sten uses Fire Spices (makes ‘em always do IdiotLzr/Amnesia Beam)

Cast Exit, then head back to the upper-right
—BUY: x3 Thunder Rods

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:

Breath.png

They really did not check this game, like, at all—did they?

TRANSLATION SUCCESSES:

phrasing%20(22).png

But hey!  At least they translated their speech styles!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!  I learned how to easily tweak the music in Breath of Fire II!  See what the game is like when the music placer has some imagination!  When he doesn't score every "dungeon" with "Dungeon Music" :lol: !

BoF2.png

Part 20: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—Treasure Won (SkyTower & Fusion)

THUMBNAIL ART BY: 「せいはち」(Check the uncropped version in his art gallery!)[/b]
せいはち's ART GALLERY: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/24295903
Special thanks for giving me permission to use it!

PLOT POINTS (Gone forever, if done before recruiting Beretta.  She upgrades her wares for every 8 you get, up to a max of 24):
2. Recruiting Seso.
5. Defeating Jailer.
7. Defeating Kuwadora.
9. Defeating Munmar.
10. Defeat M.C.Tusk.
14. Defeating Aruhamel.
15. Receiving permission to investigate the Sky Tower.
16. Recruiting Spoo

BERETTA'S NEW GEAR:
You can now buy a Thunder Staff for Katt to equip!  It has the same effect as the Frizbees/Thunder Rods, except you can use it infinitely!  Magic immune enemies will never be an issue again!

Apart from that, there's nothing noteworthy at her shop yet.

ENEMY AI:
Ammonite Squids (Weak to lightning; No resistance to status ailments):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (75%) or Iceblast (25%)
[These are immune to normal magic damage... But that doesn't protect them from items!]

Crodworm/Cloud Eaters (Weak to Fire):
1/64 defend
Spell list: Tornado (75%), Typhoon (25%)

Darious/Tidalius (Weak to Lightning; No resistance to status ailments):
If used BuildUp last turn, attack
Otherwise, 3/4 BuildUp
Otherwise, 1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (87%) or Cast 8.0/Quake

Needle Puffers (37.5% Counter-Attacks; Weak to Fire):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (25%) or Cast a Spell (75%)
Spell list: Def-UpX/Shield (increases everyone's DEF), Shield/Barrier (increases everyone's Wisdom)

Burner Orcs (37.5% Counter-Attacks; Weak to Ice):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack or Fire Breath

Cyclops (50% Critical Hits; Basically no resistance to status ailments—Aspara has too much Wisdom):
1/64 defend
Spell list: Atk-Up/Might or Def-Up/Protect

Marble Golems (Always goes last):
65/128 defend
Otherwise, Attack or Cast Flare

Gallops (Will always outspeed, unless Sten is obscenely overleveled, or is using stat boosters):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Fire Breath or Cold Breath 17/256 (if over 50% HP), 33/256 (if over 25% and at most 50%), 65/256 (if over 12.5% and at most 25%), or 129/256 (if 12.5% HP or under)
Otherwise Attack

Tri.eyes/Ayyiyis (Weak to Fire; No resistance to status ailments):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack or Cast Sap/Drain (Steals HP)

THE ROUTE:
Overworld:
—X2 Gallops: Normal Formation, and Aspara casts Agi.Down/Slow on one of them
—X2-3 Tri.Eyes/Ayyiyis: Fireblast + Melees + Agi.Down/Slow
Go south for sequence trigger, then Warp to Capitan

Capitan:
Rest at the Inn
Sail upper-left to SkyTower/Heaven Tower

Heaven Tower:
—Frizbees/Thunder Rods on Ammonite Squids & Darious'/Tidalius'
—Flameblast everything else
1st Underwater Floor: Go left, then up to the stairs
2nd Underwater Room: Get Guts Pill
Trio of Chests Room: Ice Shield, Ice Armor, & Norse Dagger
Talk to Spoona
—UNEQUIP: x2 Courage Belts from Lin
—EQUIP: New gear to Sten, with the Courage Belts.  Equip Holy Scarf to Aspara
Exit

Overworld:
Sail up to beach
—EQUIP: Whip over Thorn Whip
Warp to Guntz

Guntz:
—CHANGE PARTY: Rand over Lin
—SELL: Smoke Bombs, Herbs, Thorn Whip, Flame Sword, Iron Shield, Auto Bow, Iron Armor, Papillon, Bowie Knife, Buckler, Solblade, Hawk Claw, Assassin, Dream Jewel, and all boosters except Guts Pills
—TRADE: BlndedSH/Alloy Shield (Rand)
—BUY: Up to x17 Vitamins, x4 Wisdom Seeds, x3 Ammonias, x8 Shaved Ices & Fire Spices
Auto your items
—STORE: All items except x8 HelpBLs/Vitamins, as well as your Frizbees/Thunder Rods
—BUY: x46 Frizbees/Thunder Rods!!!
Recruit Gigi Kapp from the northern house’s secret basement
Warp to Township

Township:
Cook x1 Dinker/Fast Food, x11 Biscuits/Hardtacks, & x5 Extracts/Restoratives!
—Dinker/Fast Food: x2 Frizbees/Thunder Rods
—Biscuits/Hardtaks: x4 Frizbees/Thunder Rods
—Extracts/Restoratives: x2 HelpBLs/Vitamins
Fuse Sanamo + Spoona with Sten for Super Sten!
Pop inside home for restoration, then Warp to Guntz

Overworld:
Sail left to Whale Cape
—X2 Gallops: Defensive Formation, and Aspara casts Agi.Down/Slow on one of them

Fog Valley:
—Burner Orcs: Switch
—Marble Golems: Run
—Cyclops: Use Agi.Down/Slow, then Idle/Paralyze, before whittling him down with melees
All Else: Crush with Fireblast + melees
Go straight down

Overworld:
Auto items, cast Smoke, then go straight down to Farma

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:
Nothing interesting today.

A momentous occasion... Something finally happens!  Complete with rescored music to fit the occcasion!

BoF2.png

Part 21: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—My Home Sweet Home (Paladin)

THUMBNAIL ART BY:「せいはち」
せいはち's ART GALLERY: https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/3498832

2. Recruiting Seso.
5. Defeating Jailer.
7. Defeating Kuwadora.
9. Defeating Munmar.
10. Defeat M.C.Tusk.
14. Defeating Aruhamel.
16. Recruiting Spoo
17. Plowing Daisy's entire field
18. Talking to the guard outside Namanda.
19. Defeating Paladin.

ENEMY AI:
Stones, Bushes, Stumps:
Do nothing

Baracudas/Valkyries (Weak to Wind):
3/4 attack twice
Otherwise, 1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (87%) or Cast Typhoon (13%)

Royal Guards (Immune to status ailments; Will always go first without excessive level grinding):

[The probability of running away is intended to be 1/16 (turn 1), 1/8 (turn 2), 1/4 (turn 3), or 3/8 (turn 4+).  However, the turn number was capped in the wrong direction before looking this value up.  Royal Guards are also supposed to have a 25% chance of casting Def-Up or Atk-Up on turns where they don’t run away or defend.  However, the upper byte of the Y register is cleared before this probability and spell list can be read, so the probability is read as zero.]

Royal Slugs (Weak to Fire; 50% Critical Hits):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (75%) or Cast Spark/Flare (25%)

S.GOLEM/MARL A.I. (Weak to Ice; Immune to status ailments; Will always go last):
50% to Defend
Otherwise, Attack (75%) or Fireblast (25%)

PALADIN/MESSENGER A.I. (Almost immune to status ailments):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Cast a spell with probability 100% (turn 1), 62.5% (turn 2), 25% (turn 3), or 0% (turn 4+), 
Otherwise Attack

Spell List: Multiply DEF by 1.2x (Def-UpX/Shield) or Double Wisdom (Shield/Barrier)

THE ROUTE:

Farma:
Rest at the Inn, if nighttime
—CHANGE PARTY: Ryu/Sten/Aspara/Rand party
—STORE: Hardtacks, then Extracts/Restoratives (Charcoals last, if applicable)
—TAKE: Wisdoms Seeds, Shaved Ices, Fire Spices, scroll up, then get everything else from top to bottom (will probably have excess Extracts/Restoratives.  We overcompensated due to the chances of items getting burned into Charcoal)
Do Daisy’s gardening (Use Bomb/Simoon on stone—Use Ryu & Sten attacks on everything else up to...)

VS. Marl (1600 HP): Scatter
Turn 1: Ryu Ice Whelps, Sten attacks, Aspara & Rand use Wisdom Seeds
Turn 2: Ryu Ice Whelps, Sten attacks, Aspara uses Frost, Rand uses Shaved Ice

Get Coin from upper-leftmost house, if you don't already have one. 
—CHANGE PARTY: Ryu/Sten/Aspara/Tapeta 
Hop to Earth Temple

Earth Temple:
—Equip Speed Suit & Switch on Barucudas/Valkyries
—Go all-out on Royal Guard groups, or Defend and hope the guards run away.
Keep going up-right to the donation room
Donate 100z (or 2000z, if you care about the Earth Shaman)
Exit, then Warp back to Farma

Farma:
Save your game!

VS. Messenger (496 HP):
Turn 1: Shaved Ice
Turns onward: Use x1 Biscuit/Hardtack for x1.2 DEF, then cycle between Extracts/Restoratives & Shaved Ices

—UNEQUIP: BlndedSH/Alloy Shield from Rand.  Take off Aspara’s accessories.
—EQUIP: BlndedSH/Alloy Shield to Ryu & CharmSH/Defender to Rand
Warp to Wyndia

I just realized that I haven't been showing off the party chat lately, so I'm gonna catch you up on that in these next few days.  First of all, the Queen... Deis finally gets unique Party Chat here!

PARTY CHAT (The Queen needs help!):

29-Bosch.PNG Bosch: How huge does a person have to get before they realize something is badly wrong with them?

44-Sten.PNG Sten: The queen's condition can't be just from lack of exercise. That kind of obesity just isn't natural, period...

...Unfortunately, that kind of obesity IS something that can happen, via "generalized edema".  That's when fluid keeps being retained in your body.  The world's heaviest man was 1,400 lb, at 6'11".

32-Rand.PNG Rand: A Diet Wizard?  People can actually get paid for that?

One of the many career choices one has, living in a 1st-world country 😛 !

35-Katt.PNG Lin (in the lobby): *whistle whistle* Hey, check it out!  I'm talking in Melodian!  Pretty good, huh?

35-Katt.PNG Lin (in her room): You think I'll ever have curves like Nina?

38-Nina.PNG Nina (in the lobby): The queen of Melodia is so badly out-of-shape, it actually has me worried about my own body... Perhaps I shouldn't rely on my wings so often and get some exercise walking...

I do think it's a nice touch that Nina's still worried about her body, despite her official art.  Just goes to show that being worried is probably HOW she got that way.

38-Nina.PNG Nina (in the lobby): It's true that I am a princess...but sometimes the word feels more like an insult than a title.  The common conception seems to be that royal birth makes you a pampered, stuck-up airhead.  It hurts to be thought of like that...

To be fair... Being exiled made her childhood a bit different than most royals.

41-Tapeta.PNG Tapeta: Answer me honestly: Do I look fat to you?

Yes.

8-Spar.PNG Aspara: The people of Melodia are said to talk using music...but I can't quite see how that's supposed to work.  How can they possibly convey meaning effectively without the aid of words?

...I mean, how can the plants and trees talk to you without mouths?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARTY CHAT (Fight the Cellulite!):

29-Bosch.PNG Bosch: Sometimes the cure's almost as bad as the disease.  No offefnse, but I'd rather not have people running around inside me...

32-Rand.PNG Rand: You know, there's a lot we could do while we're micro-sized.  Maybe we could get inside Lin's head and do a little redecorating?  Just imagine it: "Lin, the Genius Girl"!

35-Katt.PNG Lin: You know, that mushroom has possibilites[sic].  We could use it on Rand and you could slip him into a pocket!  Our very own pint-sized bruiser!

I love how the two are BOTH thinking of pranking each other 😄 !

38-Nina.PNG Nina: Promise me one thing, Ryu.  If I ever get like that...you won't go inside me to help.  Instead...just put me out of my misery.

44-Sten.PNG Sten: If the queen turned into a monster, I wonder what she'd end up looking like...

41-Tapeta.PNG Tapeta: [Same as before]

8-Spar.PNG Aspara: Entering a human body...this is an experience not even the Elder Tree could lay claim to.  The fruits of our journey never cease to intrigue me.

37-Deis.png Deis (in the lobby): Take an ordinary human, force-feed them with evil, and pow, you've got a demon on your hands... Whoever's behind all this is seriously warped...and seriously dangerous.

Girl, you don't know the half of it... And again, this is her first bit of unique Party Chat.  I wonder if THIS was when the game designers originally meant to have her recruitable?  I tested it, and she actually doesn't break the difficulty curve if THIS is when you recruit her... Wonder if that's what I should've done, instead?  Save her for after Highfort, rather than banning her outright?

Also, most of her dialogue is lobby exclusive.  Her bedroom dialogue is usually just her dreaming about Ryu.

PARTY CHAT (Gandharve's Speech Impediment!):

29-Bosch.PNG Bosch: Somehow, I wasn't expecting the Elder Tree to be so...goofy.

32-Rand.PNG Rand: Looks like the Elder Tree's gone senile in his old age.  Aspara's got an unenviable future to look forward to...

35-Katt.PNG Lin: I'd like to think that the demon is solely responsible for the Elder Tree's current state of mind, or lack thereof... But something tells me he's always been like this.

38-Nina.PNG Nina: Promise me you won't go into my mind if I end up like this...I'd never live it down.

44-Sten.PNG Sten: I'd love to see what's going on inside Tapeta's head at any given time. He probably gives "toys in the attic" a whole new meaning!

"Toys in the attic" is a euphemism for insanity.

41-Tapeta.PNG Tapeta: The mysteries deep in the mind... The mysteries deep in your brain... Is it real, or is it a dream? The questions will drive you insane... Did you enjoy that, Monsier Ryu?  I call it..."Inside Your Head"!

8-Spar.PNG Aspara: I cannot understand why the Elder Tree is speaking with that curious impediment.  Nor do I know when he started... It's a possibility that the demons have entered his soul and started to possess him as well.  We must hurry...

Guess that dashes the "he was always like that" theory.

37-Deis.png Deis (in the lobby): Ah, the Therapy Pillow... Brings back memories... Long ago, a band of eight heroes used it to enter someone's soul.

This'd be another reference to Breath of Fire 1 reference, where you entered the mind of a party member called Mogu.  Long story, lol.

Your Rand not high enough level for the Paladin?  Then see how to get 'em from LVL 6 to LVL 18 in under 15 minutes!

BoF2.png

Bonus #6: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—Rand Grind at the Island of Giants

RAND GRIND CHECKLIST:
1) Recruit Deis (See the video for how).
2) Make a party with Deis & Super Sten.
3) Swim down (and left as needed) from HomeTown/Newhaven to find the Island of Giants.
4) Grind Rand to LVL 18 via the following strats:
—Atomic Goo: Death
—Chorking/Tyorkin: Battle item, Chop-Chop/Slice, or Dragon.
—Anything Else: Switch 

ENEMY AI:
A.Sludges/Atomic Goos (No resistance to status ailments; Will always outspeed if no grinding)
1/64 defend
Otherwise, 8.0 with probability 17/256 (if over 50% HP), 33/256 (if over 25% and at most 50%), 65/256 (if over 12.5% and at most 25%), or 129/256 (if 12.5% HP or under)
Otherwise Attack

Chorkings/Tyorkins (Immune to spell-casting, but weak to Wind):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack or  Cast a Spell
Spell list: Poison Breath & Zombie Breath

Gatlingheads (Immune to status ailments; Will always outspeed if no grinding):
Use Cure 4/Restore when under 75% HP (heals up to full no matter what)
Otherwise, 1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (75%) or Iceblast (25%)

K.Sludges/Goo Kings (Immune to status ailments; Perfect accuracy with Death; Will always outspeed unless Deis is LVL 74):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Death with probability 17/256 (if over 50% HP), 33/256 (if over 25% and at most 50%), 65/256 (if over 12.5% and at most 25%), or 129/256 (if 12.5% HP or under)
Otherwise Attack

PARTY CHAT (Mist Valley is blocked!):

29-Bosch.PNG Bosch: Do you know how to get to Heaven Tower from here?

32-Rand.PNG Rand: South of Mist Valley is some hick town full of hick people. One of them finally got sick of the place and left. Dunno what happened after that.

44-Sten.PNG Sten: Once we pass through Mist Valley, we'll find ourselves in Farma... Isn't that where Master Rand hails from?

Reminder that Ryusui was translating Party Chat without context.  It's hard to tell if Rand was trying to hide something or not.

35-Katt.PNG Lin: Funny... Ever notice how Rand's teeth start chattering around Mist Valley?

38-Nina.PNG Nina: If I didn't know better, I'd say that the fog around Mist Valley is the product of some very strong magic...

41-Tapeta.PNG Tapeta: Fog fog fog fog fooooooog... What do you think? I call it "Theme of Mist Valley". The lyrics require some work, but is it not an enchanting melody?

8-Spar.PNG Aspara: I have never traveled south of the Sea of Green before. I am quite interested in seeing what lies in that direction...

37-Deis.png Deis (in the lobby): I'm sick of sitting around and thinking. Let's get a move on!

PARTY CHAT (Rand's mother bosses us around!):

29-Bosch.PNG Bosch: I wish my own mother were like that...

The old translation put it as "I wish I had a mother like that"... It might actually be the more accurate translation, considering Bosch's status as an orphan.

32-Rand.PNG Rand (in the lobby): Damn, this sucks!

32-Rand.PNG Rand (in his room): Damn that crazy old hag! I wish the angels would hurry up and cart her off...but then again, they probably wouldn't wanna put up with her! ...Oh crap, did I say all that out loud?

I uh... Hope he didn't remember saying that after she got kidnapped...

35-Katt.PNG Lin (in the lobby): How could a big guy like Rand be so scared of a little old lady like his mother? Who would ever peg him for such a big sissy?

35-Katt.PNG Lin (in her room): Your mother died when you were just a child, right, Ryu? I wonder what she was like... She wasn't like Daisy, was she?

38-Nina.PNG Nina: Rand may chafe at being called 'idiot boy' by his own mother...but from her, it's almost a term of endearment. In some ways, I'm a bit jealous...

I guess being exiled by your parents makes just about *anything* else look good 😛

44-Sten.PNG Sten: Even if Master Rand became ten times as strong as he is now, he could never hope to compete against his own mother! Ohohohohoho!

41-Tapeta.PNG Tapeta: Such a remarkable woman Madame Daisy is! Who would imagine such an aged person could be so strong? She reminds me so much of Petape... They would no doubt make great rivals!

8-Spar.PNG Aspara: Grassmen don't have 'mothers' in the same way as other species. I was raised by the Elder Tree, so the closest thing I have to a mother would be Gandharve...

37-Deis.png Deis (in the lobby): Rand is just so adorable at times like this...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARTY CHAT (Daisy's kidnapped! How do we get wings?):

29-Bosch.PNG Bosch: If we could just get to the Cathedral, I'm sure we'd have all our questions answered...

35-Katt.PNG Lin: Nina looks a little distressed all of a sudden...like she's got something she wants to say, but can't. Maybe you should talk to her, Ryu?

44-Sten.PNG Sten: What a surprise. Master Rand seems genuinely mortified that his mother has been abducted...

41-Tapeta.PNG Tapeta: Monsieur Rand seems to be quite, how you say, flustered... You cannot tell? It is as plain as the nose on his face! No one can hide their true emotions from moi!

8-Spar.PNG Aspara: It does not seem logical that the absence of one person could cause such an emotional disturbance... However, when I myself ponder Daisy's fate, I cannot help but feel...sorrow? I never imagined I could experience such emotions...

37-Deis.png Deis (in the lobby): I have a plan! Let's make a whirlwind tour of all the Eva churches in the world and bust 'em up, one after another! ...What? Don't you think it's a good idea?

32-Rand.PNG Rand (in the lobby): So what now? The only way we can get to the Cathedral is if we sprout wings or something! Heh heh...now that's a funny thought!

32-Rand.PNG Rand (in his room): ...The power of the Great Bird remains in Wyndia. If we were to obtain it, we could reach the Cathedral easily.

Interesting character moment, here. Rand seems to know about the Great Bird ritual... But he seems hesitant to suggest it anywhere but in private. I wonder why that is?

38-Nina.PNG Nina: Ryu...I'd like to speak with you in my room. I'm not sure the others need to hear this yet...

38-Nina.PNG Nina: ...I know where to find the power of the Great Bird. It's possible I will be able to wield that power myself. With that power,I could carry you all to the Cathedral. However... ...I've made up my mind. I will obtain the power of the Great Bird. Take us to Wyndia, Ryu. I must speak with my father.

It's a good thing, for all our sakes, that Ryusui didn't translate this as "Big Bird".

2 hours ago, FionordeQuester said:

38-Nina.PNG Nina: ...I know where to find the power of the Great Bird. It's possible I will be able to wield that power myself. With that power,I could carry you all to the Cathedral. However... ...I've made up my mind. I will obtain the power of the Great Bird. Take us to Wyndia, Ryu. I must speak with my father.

Spoiler

It's a good thing, for all our sakes, that Ryusui didn't translate this as "Big Bird".

Good thing too, that'd just make me think they're trying to get to Sesame Street.

It's interesting just how much of a difference there is between how some of the characters talk inside their rooms and around others too, a nice touch from BoF2.

Edited by Dayni

10 hours ago, Dayni said:

Good thing too, that'd just make me think they're trying to get to Sesame Street.

It's interesting just how much of a difference there is between how some of the characters talk inside their rooms and around others too, a nice touch from BoF2.

Indeed.  Also goes to show the amount of trust they have in Ryu as a leader and friend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now then!  This is the moment!  This is so big, Capcom based their commercial around this!  Put a copyright claim on the video and everything!

Mina.png

Part 22: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—White Wings (Guardian)

2. Recruiting Seso.
5. Defeating Jailer.
7. Defeating Kuwadora.
9. Defeating Munmar.
10. Defeat M.C.Tusk.
14. Defeating Aruhamel.
16. Recruiting Spoo
17. Plowing Daisy's entire field
19. Defeating Paladin.
20. Acquiring the Mark of the Wing.
21. Acquiring the Great Bird.

ENEMY AI:
Gargoyles (Weak to wind):
If any monster is under 75% HP, Cure 2 on whichever monster is missing the most HP.  If there is a tie, choose the last monster slot among those qualifying.  If no AP, attack instead.
Otherwise, 1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (87%) or Fire Breath (13%)

Baracudas/Valkyries (Weak to wind; Will always outspeed without grinding):
75% chance to attack twice.
Otherwise, 1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (87%) or Cast Typhoon (13%)

Royal Guards (Immune to status ailments; Will always outspeed without grinding):

[The probability of running away is intended to be 1/16 (turn 1), 1/8 (turn 2), 1/4 (turn 3), or 3/8 (turn 4+).  However, the turn number was capped in the wrong direction before looking this value up.  Additionally, Royal Guards are intended to have a 25% chance of casting Def-Up or Atk-Up on turns where they don't run away or defend.  However, the upper byte of the Y register is cleared before this probability and spell list can be read, so the probability is read as zero.]

Royal Slugs (Weak to Fire; 50% chance to crit):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (75%) or Cast Spark/Flare (25%)

GUARDIAN A.I.:
1/64 defend
Otherwise Cast a Spell with probability 89/256 (turn 1), 170/256 (turn 2), 100/256 (turn 3), or 170/256 (turn 4+)
Otherwise Attack
Spell list: Hush, Def-Down, Ag-Down, Pwr.Down

[Guardian’s max HP/AP are the same as Nina’s.  Guardian was intended to cast Cure4 when under 5/16 of her max HP.  However, this check is bugged and instead tests whether Guardian’s max HP is at least 16618.

Guardian was also intended to have the same spellcasting probability as Paladin (excluding Cure 4 mentioned above).  However, the high byte of the A register is not cleared [Nitrodon tried to explain why, but I didn't understand], so the probability is looked up in some unrelated table instead.

Scalding Coffee from "Something Awful" makes an interesting point:

Breath of Fire III retcons it by implying it to be the result of

genetic meddling by Myria, though her son may also be doing the same in this game

Anyway, Party Chat time!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PARTY CHAT (Before Mina's Scene):

29-Bosch.PNG Bosch: If Nina uses the power of the Great Bird, won't she be able to change back? ...I don't want her to be stuck as a bird! Ryu! Talk some sense into her!

32-Rand.PNG Rand: Nina's made up her mind. Even if Ma hadn't been taken by those Church of Eva bastard, we'd still have to get to the Cathedral somehow... Dammit! Doesn't she care how the rest of us feel?

35-Katt.PNG Lin: I'm sure Nina will become a beautiful bird...*sniff* *sniff*... Aw, hell! Why does she have to do this? I don't wanna lose our Nina!

44-Sten.PNG Sten: This shouldn't be happening.

41-Tapeta.PNG Tapeta: Nina had done nothing yet, and already I am...how you say...traumatized! Are these terrible circumstances not cause for much weeping?

37-Deis.png Deis (in the lobby): Looks like the little sprout's a real princess after all. Nina's sure got guts...

38-Nina.PNG Nina (in the lobby): I don't need your tears. Any one of you could make the same sacrifice... I'm certain of it.

38-Nina.PNG Nina (in her room): The thought of giving up this life to become a Great Bird doesn't faze me at all... But I have one favor I'd like to ask. Just say to me..."I want you to become the Great Bird". Please?...

38-Nina.PNG Nina (if you said Yes): ...So I shall.

38-Nina.PNG Nina (if you said No): I...understand. I'm sorry I asked you to say such a thing...

This is...actually a really interesting character moment, here.  I say that because...

8-Spar.PNG Aspara: I agree with Nina's reasoning. This is the most effective way for us to accomplish our goals...but why does it frighten me that she would sacrifice her life with so little hesitation?

...Nina's a death-seeker.  Her line is NOT bravado—she is genuinely unfazed by the thought of dying.  She won't out-and-out commit suicide, but... The prophecy's in her head.  Her family's in hot water for as long as she lives.  She has to live far away, just so no trouble befalls them.  In her mind?  Their lives would be so much easier, if only she could just...vanish.

Recall her willingness to be Joker's slave. Recall her joking about Ryu "putting her out of her misery" if she got fat. See how determined she is to become the Great Bird. The reason for her request to Ryu is to convince herself that it's what he wants... That he wouldn't be THAT badly torn up about her leaving.

And if that's not proof enough?

The final boss even confirms it.  "Her wish will come true.  Her life is over." or "She came to this place...and her fondest hopes were granted...thus was she erased."

It's subtle enough for kids to miss, but... It's there.  It's why Aspara's shaken up on a subconscious level.

PARTY CHAT (After Mina's Scene):

29-Bosch.PNG Bosch: Mina...

I guess it's a good thing he never scored with her, eh?

32-Rand.PNG Rand: I never imagined Mina could do something so brave and selfless... I guess it must run in the family.

35-Katt.PNG Lin: I wish I could think of something to say to Nina...

44-Sten.PNG Sten: I don't even have any witty remarks or clever puns for this situation... We cannot permit any more innocents to be involved in our struggle...

41-Tapeta.PNG Tapeta: We must travel to Evrai, posthaste! This battle...it is no longer ours alone to fight!

8-Spar.PNG Aspara: Mina laid down her life out of love for her sister... Let's repay that debt by getting to Evrai and putting those book-thumping bastards out of commission!

His language *probably* isn't a translation error.  Vulgar language is pretty easy to spot, even for a newbie like me.

37-Deis.png Deis (in the lobby): I see the look in your eyes has changed, Nina. Calling you a 'sprout' now would be an insult...you've grown into a fine woman.

You'll recall that was something of a thing in Deis' first Party Chat. The game lampshaded how badly Deis obsoleted her, with Deis calling her a "sprout", and Nina feeling insecure about it.

38-Nina.PNG Nina: This is no time for mourning. Besides...Mina would be upset if she saw me crying...

Mina WOULD be upset... Because apparently, she's still sapient, and can speak English and everything...

...All the writers needed to do...ALL they needed to do, was have her be silent!  Keep the bird noises, keep the wing flaps, and just have no dialogue.  Nina says her line about not mourning her, and the scene proceeds.

Instead we get the Breath of Fire equivalent of "DUDE, MAH TRUCK!!".  Like the sort of thing a localizer would throw in to censor someone's death... Except it's actually in the original script...

8 hours ago, FionordeQuester said:

38-Nina.PNG Nina: This is no time for mourning. Besides...Mina would be upset if she saw me crying...

Mina WOULD be upset... Because apparently, she's still sapient, and can speak English and everything...

...All the writers needed to do...ALL they needed to do, was have her be silent!  Keep the bird noises, keep the wing flaps, and just have no dialogue.  Nina says her line about not mourning her, and the scene proceeds.

Instead we get the Breath of Fire equivalent of "DUDE, MAH TRUCK!!".  Like the sort of thing a localizer would throw in to censor someone's death... Except it's actually in the original script...

Is this the only line she'll speak in the game?

If that' the case, making it so that it occurs while she transforms, even cutting off part way through could be devastating and make things even worse (And thanks for the laugh down the link, is that in all versions or was it censored for Nick?).

9 hours ago, FionordeQuester said:

8-Spar.PNG Aspara: I agree with Nina's reasoning. This is the most effective way for us to accomplish our goals...but why does it frighten me that she would sacrifice her life with so little hesitation?

...Nina's a death-seeker.  Her line is NOT bravado—she is genuinely unfazed by the thought of dying.  She won't out-and-out commit suicide, but... The prophecy's in her head.  Her family's in hot water for as long as she lives.  She has to live far away, just so no trouble befalls them.  In her mind?  Their lives would be so much easier, if only she could just...vanish.

Recall her willingness to be Joker's slave. Recall her joking about Ryu "putting her out of her misery" if she got fat. See how determined she is to become the Great Bird. The reason for her request to Ryu is to convince herself that it's what he wants... That he wouldn't be THAT badly torn up about her leaving.

And if that's not proof enough?

Reveal hidden contents

The final boss even confirms it.  "Her wish will come true.  Her life is over." or "She came to this place...and her fondest hopes were granted...thus was she erased."

It's subtle enough for kids to miss, but... It's there.  It's why Aspara's shaken up on a subconscious level.

I hadn't seen this section of the game before (Nina coming back to Mina's sacrifice).

Is it fair to say that this might be the peak of the game? I mean in terms of emotional punches. The character seeking their end throughout the story seeing a chance to offer their life for their friends....

Only to have her sister do it so she wouldn't have to suffer. That on top of her already messy life before then, there's no way it'd just do away either. I'm curious to see whether it comes up again after this one.

And a thing I had considered about the reason their transformation abilities were diluted: Maybe Nina the First's marrying Ryu 1 resulted in the people in Wyndia finding relationships among other peoples in their world, finding her example as something worth following?

15 hours ago, Dayni said:

Is this the only line she'll speak in the game?

If that' the case, making it so that it occurs while she transforms, even cutting off part way through could be devastating and make things even worse (And thanks for the laugh down the link, is that in all versions or was it censored for Nick?).

Nope!  That's in all versions!  It was intended to be only for Nicktoons, but it accidentally leaked into the Uncut audio as well.  So, far as the English dub is concerned, the guy lives 😛 !

I hadn't seen this section of the game before (Nina coming back to Mina's sacrifice).

Is it fair to say that this might be the peak of the game? I mean in terms of emotional punches. The character seeking their end throughout the story seeing a chance to offer their life for their friends....

Only to have her sister do it so she wouldn't have to suffer. That on top of her already messy life before then, there's no way it'd just do away either. I'm curious to see whether it comes up again after this one.

Hmm... That's hard to say.  The endgame is full of emotional gut punches, believe it or not.  Apart from Highfort and the start, Breath of Fire II saves pretty much all its best stuff for last.  

And a thing I had considered about the reason their transformation abilities were diluted: Maybe Nina the First's marrying Ryu 1 resulted in the people in Wyndia finding relationships among other peoples in their world, finding her example as something worth following?

Well... Randalor & Libluini on Something Awful bring up a good point.  No race on Earth is entirely pure... Everyone's got a bit of all races in them (a large part of why racism is so stupid).  That, and dragon clan blood tends to overpower other bloodlines, so once Nina got the ball rolling... Well, Breath of Fire was multiple centuries ago...

Breath.png

So even the most racist Wyndian rednecks would've eventually got some of Ryu in them.  So...consider me corrected xD!

3 minutes ago, FionordeQuester said:

Nope!  That's in all versions!  It was intended to be only for Nicktoons, but it accidentally leaked into the Uncut audio as well.  So, far as the English dub is concerned, the guy lives 😛 !

My truck! indeed.

Or at least he lived until something else in the world got him. This is DBZ after all.

4 minutes ago, FionordeQuester said:

Hmm... That's hard to say.  The endgame is full of emotional gut punches, believe it or not.  Apart from Highfort and the start, Breath of Fire II saves pretty much all its best stuff for last.  

I will say this one's had some threads throughout the game so far.

Speaking of punches (EG Spoilers):

Spoiler

How will you be handling the event in the cathedral that's tied to Town?

Considering how it affects the ending.

13 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Speaking of punches (EG Spoilers):

Hide contents

How will you be handling the event in the cathedral that's tied to Town?

Considering how it affects the ending.

Sunshine and rainbows, naturally.  I'll find a way to show off the worst of it, though.

That scene has always been a chilling one for me. I imagine the scene going down as Nina hurling her frail body against the iron door, bruising her extremely lightweight skeleton in the process,  trying to force it open to save the only person outside the party who matters to her and being absolutely devastated as to what occurred. Everyone I know always brings up Evarai as the most depressing sequence, but to me, this scene with Mina will always beat out that entire dungeon, even with sad ending.

I wish this was properly translated in the 90s like it should have been. It could have easily been in conversations regarding greatest RPGs with the Squaresoft stuff. 

On 4/6/2021 at 2:27 PM, bobflac said:

That scene has always been a chilling one for me. I imagine the scene going down as Nina hurling her frail body against the iron door, bruising her extremely lightweight skeleton in the process,  trying to force it open to save the only person outside the party who matters to her and being absolutely devastated as to what occurred. Everyone I know always brings up Evrai as the most depressing sequence, but to me, this scene with Mina will always beat out that entire dungeon, even with sad ending.

I wish this was properly translated in the 90s like it should have been. It could have easily been in conversations regarding greatest RPGs with the Squaresoft stuff. 

Indeed.  The game's got some incredible highs, in addition to its lows.  Its part of what makes it so great to LP.  Now then...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow!  A grand-spankin' resistance group and everything!  So this is who Gandalf the Elder Tree was talking about!  But can we brave the bowls of the Thief's Tomb, and get them what they need?  Find out, today!

BoF2.png

Part 23: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—Sandy Slumber (Thief's Tomb)

THUMBNAIL ART BY: 「せいはち」
せいはち's ART GALLERY: https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/3498832/illustrations

2. Recruiting Seso.
5. Defeating Jailer.
7. Defeating Kuwadora.
9. Defeating Munmar.
10. Defeat M.C.Tusk.
14. Defeating Aruhamel.
16. Recruiting Spoo.
17. Plowing Daisy's field and resting overnight.
19. Defeating Paladin.
22. Trying to leave Evrai after talking to Claris.
23. Acquiring the "Evidence" (actually called "Thief's Emblem") from ThvsTomd.

ENEMY AI:
Cancers (Weak to Ice; No resistance to Death or status ailments):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (75%) or Cast Freeze/Iceblast (25%)

Dinabehms/Dinabehemoths:
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack or Cast S.Boom/Lightning

Titongs/Titans (50% Critical Hits; No resistance to Death or status ailments):
1/64 defend

Kimairas/Chimeras (37.5% Counter-Attacks; Weak to Ice):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack or Fire Breath

Anubis Mummies (Weak to Fire; Outspeeds all but Super Sten):
1/64 defend
Spell list: Zombie Breath or Freeze/Iceblast

[Like many spellcaster enemies, Anubus is intended to just attack when its AP is 12.5% or lower.  However, this check is bugged, so this will never happen.  It will just keep trying to cast spells.]

Death Spiders (Weak to Fire):

[The probability of running away is intended to be 1/16 (turn 1), 1/8 (turn 2), 1/4 (turn 3), or 3/8 (turn 4+).  However, the turn number was capped in the wrong direction before looking this value up.  Additionally, Death Spiders is intended to have a 75% chance of using Poison Attack on turns where they don’t run away or defend.  However, the upper byte of the Y register is cleared before this probability and spell list can be read, so the probability is read as zero.]

Sheefs/Zombie Thieves (50% Critical Hits; Weak to Fire):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (75%) or Zombie Attack (25%)

Kiyhoods/Grubwyrms (Weak to Lighting):
1/64 defend
Spell list: Dream Breath (50%), Poison Breath (25%), Zombie Breath (25%)

[Like many spellcaster enemies, Kiyhood is intended to just attack when its AP is 12.5% or lower.  However, this check is bugged, so this will never happen.  Also, none of its spells cost AP anyway.]

THE ROUTE:

Evrai:
Get Wisdom Fruit in the right side of the big building
Talk to Claris
Try to leave
Talk to Claris again to go down toilet

Labyrinth: (Defensive)
—Royal Guards & Lord Slug: Same strat as last time
—X1 Enemy: Auto, unless it’s Chimera or Marble Golem
—Marble Golem: Run
—Chimera: Switch
—x2 Enemies (and 1-2 of them are Cancers): Kill the Cancer(s) with Lin & Sten
—Anything Else: Switch
Get Angler Rod upstairs after resting at the inn
Fly up till you get to Guntz, then fly left to Kotto

Kotto:
Talk to Tiga in the left house

Overworld:
Fly left to the desert continent.
Get the Turbocharge from the dresser in Deis’ Home
Go further left to the Thief’s Tomb

Thief’s Tomb (Defensive):
2nd Floor: Get Double Whip & Crimson Dirk, then fall down
—EQUIP: Crimson Dirk (Sten)
Puzzle Floor: Take left stairs
2nd Floor: Get Sun Mask & Bolt Gloves, then fall down
Puzzle Floor: Take fights on the yellow happy face until it teleports you to the end.
—X2 Grubwyrms: Switch
—X2 Anubis Mummies: Switch (while making sure Sten has Speed Suit equipped)
—Everything Else: Fireblast + Fire Spice (or Auto, if it’s just one)
Get the Thief’s Emblem, then Exit

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this took so long!  I'll try to pick up the speed in the future!  Anyway... Here's us fishing some of the game's best equipment, and here's Tiga trying to fish himself a soul mate!

BoF2.png

Part 24: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough—Fishing Man (Tiga & Fishing Treasure Chests/Spots)

THUMBNAIL ART BY: 「せいはち」
せいはち's ART GALLERY: https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/3498832/illustrations

WARNING:
The Manillo merchant near Kotto will NOT spawn if you fight on the island directly next to him.  You must fight on the landmass to the *right* of where he spawns, instead!  Do like I do in the video!

IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD THE MEDUSA/ARES SHIELD:
You can cook Gold Bricks/Biscuits, or simply recruit Deis for her Might spell.  We're at the point in the game where she's not that broken anymore.

2. Recruiting Seso.
5. Defeating Jailer.
7. Defeating Kuwadora.
9. Defeating Munmar.
10. Defeat M.C.Tusk.
14. Defeating Aruhamel.
16. Recruiting Spoo.
17. Plowing Daisy's field and resting overnight.
19. Defeating Paladin.
22. Trying to leave Evrai after talking to Claris.
23. Acquiring the "Evidence" (actually called "Thief's Emblem") from ThvsTomd.

OTHER FISHING SPOTS (Scroll down to "fishing spots", and see what's next to the Treasure Chest icons):
https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/BreathOfFireII-World.png

ENEMY AI:
Mammoths (Weak to Fire):
75% chance to attack twice
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (75%) or Cast 8.0/Quake (25%)

Kimairas/Chimeras (Weak to Ice; 37.5% Counter-attacks):
1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack or Use Fire Breath

G.Idols/Vulcan Rocks (Weak to Ice; Always goes last; Immune to Death & all status ailments):
Always Attack if BuildUp was used last turn
Otherwise, 75% chance to use BuildUp
Otherwise, 1/64 defend
Otherwise, Attack (83%) or Cast Fireball (17%)

Cyclops (50% Criticals; Effectively no resistance to Death or status ailments):
1/64 defend

Marble Golems (Always goes last; Immune to Death and all status ailments):
50% to Defend
Otherwise, Attack or Cast Spark/Flare

---------------------------------

THE ROUTE:
Overworld:
Fly up to Township

Township:
Heal up, save, then cook x2 Gold Bricks with Guts Pills & Turbocharge!

Overworld:
Fish out Emperor's Edge near Township
—Slay Ryu & Nina as  you do so, in order to get the Flee bonus!
Fly up to Newhaven, up-left to Mt. Maori, then left to Gate
—Enter Gate for Warp point, if you haven't already
Go to the fishing spot, then spawn the fish
—Switch till you get a G.Idol/Vulcan Rock or Marble Golem, then Flee.  It's guaranteed if Ryu & Nina are dead, and Sten is in fusion form!
Fish out some Life Armor for Ryu
Go lower-left near Kotto, go further lower-left till island, then fish out Manillo
—Equip best gear to Sten, and fight some battles.  He and Lin alone should be able to handle the randos here.
Remove the Angler's Rod when all's said and done, then equip everyone like so before selling:

Ryu: Emperor's Edge, Life Armor, Bolt Gloves, Sun Mask, x1 Courage Belt
Sten: Crimson Dirk, Earth Armor, Ice Shield, Circlet, Speed Shoes + Courage Belt
Katt/Lin: Wind Robe, Alloy Band, Silver Tiara 
Nina: Holy Scarf

—SELL: All except x2 Courage Belts, Restoratives, Vitalizers, Moon Drops, Holy Tears, Wisdom Seeds & Fruits, Fire Spices, Hardtacks, Speed Suit, & weak armor
—BUY: Ares Shield
Do cutscenes then fly up to Farma

NOTE:
You can also sell the Earth Armor if you really need to.  The Speed Suit is sufficient enough Defense for Sten.