So who`s playing Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light for the first time?

Jotari

Are you playing Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light for the first time?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Are you playing Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light for the first time?

• Yes, I am playing it for the first time.
    • No, I have played it previously and I am playing the offical translation now.
    • No, I played it before. Don`t feel the need to play it again now.
    • Not playing it now, don`t really plan to ever play it.

A lot of people due to ether moral code or a lack of tech savvy haven`t played the first game in the series. And now, as you know, it`s finally available (well not till Friday but I was sort of terrified someone would make this before me and feared they wouldn`t make a poll) officially to play. So I find myself naturally curious as to how many people are going to be having their first run through of the game and what their experiences are. As well as how many people did play it previously and are or aren't using this as an excuse to play it again. Personally I did play this game previously, but I will be playing the official release. I think I might try a Marth solo.

Also apparently the game is Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light, while all these years we've been calling it Dark Dragon. Why's that? Did we just refuse to change what we called it after Shadow Dragon was released out of stubborn laziness? Or did the original and the remake have different titles? It was a little convenient to call one Dark Dragon and the other Shadow Dragon to off hand refer to what we're talking about though. Can't do that any more though (or well, we can I guess, if we want. We can do anything if we want. WE ARE AKIN TO GODS!).

Edited by Jotari

I have nothing against Emulation, but I never did bother Emulating Shadow Dragon. I was more inntrrested in replaying the good old GBA titles, and when I saw this announced I was more pleased as it was cheap and would save me the bother of finding a rom/NES Emulator.

I'm freaking ecstatic at this game releasing. I think it's a technical marvel for its time and 100% holds up as a fire emblem game. Apparently you can choose to speed up just enemy phase rather than the whole game, and I highly recommend that, since it's a uniquely obnoxious thing about FE1. Even when you turned animations off (yes, that was a feature back on the Famicom), enemy phase was still a slog because you had to watch the enemy's cursor move to each unit and tell them where to move. I guess it's to simulate the idea that there's a CPU you're playing against but it just slows things down unnecessarily. 

I'm not expecting any gameplay changes, but I am curious if they'll address forced deployment. This is the other super obnoxious thing about FE1. You're not allowed to deploy less units than the maximum of 16. So it results in you just choosing units to stand around and do nothing. Who might become an issue later when reinforcements show up and go after them instead of your main crew. If they just flip a line of code that allows you to deploy less than the maximum, I would be so happy. 

I've played Shadow Dragon (in fact, it was my first FE). Long story, that. If you want to know, then read the spoiler below this.

Spoiler

I got my first game (Pokemon Emerald) when I was in first grade. I only played the 'mon game till 2011, when I was talking with a friend about Pokemon Conquest, and he said, 'Hey, if you like that, you should try Fire Emblem'. One thing led to another, and I got Shadow Dragon about 3 months latter. I then played Awakening, thought it was Ok, and then Fates happened. From there, I play FEs 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, partially 12.

As for the localized FE1, I don't care. Shadow Dragon is it, but less archaic. Same as Gaiden and SoV, and FE3 and Heroes of Light and Shadow. Of course, SoV is absolutely fantastic and FE12 is, uh... No. Just no. And better yet, I either already have the remakes, or I can play them for no $$$, 'cause I'm poor as dirt.

Edited by L3xandr3

I haven't played it and am looking forward to Friday when I get my special edition preorder!  I have played Shadow Dragon, but I want to play FE1 because it is FE1 and I am supporting the idea of hopefully getting FE4 and 5 like this.

Hard Pass. This just sounds like some scummy business practice by Nintendo, and it doesn't deserve my support. Besides, if I really wanted to play a NES game, I'd rather play one that aged well, which Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light isn't.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I'm pumped to play it! I used to have no interest in anything before FE7. But I recently played through Awakening, that got me a little interested in the older lore. And reading all the love for FE4 here and on reddit got me to try a playthrough of that. I absolutely loved it and I want to tackle all the older games now (maybe not Garden. I hated Shadows of Valentia, the only recent game in the series I did not enjoy). Playing on the switch is better than phone or computer imo and the game is super cheap. I can't wait to play it

1 hour ago, Hirimi3X said:

If you play a game the first time, select the second hardest difficulty. So i recommend play on Maniac Classic

I don't expect this game to have multiple difficulty levels. Though it'd be nice if it did as the original is a bit on the easy side.

Although I played the NDS version of Shadow Dragon, this version is a carbon copy of FE1, and although it is not confined to Japan, it is not a tweaked version that has glaring differences from the original FE1 such as the NDS version(FE11):

1.The NDS version has a 4-part prologue that didn't exist in the original,

2. Due to the ease of arena abuse in more modern FE titles, including the NDS version of Shadow Dragon, that version is more lenient towards grinding, while this version doesn't allow yielding in arenas, meaning your allied unit is gone if it can't damage an arena enemy while the same arena enemy can,

3. In the original, unlike the NDS version, no experience for healing, meaning your clerics can't grow unless they are attacked by the enemy,

4. In the original,  unlike the NDS version, the mechanics allow for an attack to still have a chance of missing, even if the attack shows 100 percent hit chance...

5. In the DS version, you get less experience gain for repetition, and said experience gain can decrease to zero in the event you abuse too much, but that mechanic doesn't exist in the original...

^ Due to the above differences, FE1 is technically a different game than FE11 was, although the story's main points are the same, so in turn, technically, this is my first time playing this game, despite the feeling that FE11 minus the Prologue is a similar game as FE1...

6 hours ago, shadowjam said:

Although I played the NDS version of Shadow Dragon, this version is a carbon copy of FE1, and although it is not confined to Japan, it is not a tweaked version that has glaring differences from the original FE1 such as the NDS version(FE11):

1.The NDS version has a 4-part prologue that didn't exist in the original,

2. Due to the ease of arena abuse in more modern FE titles, including the NDS version of Shadow Dragon, that version is more lenient towards grinding, while this version doesn't allow yielding in arenas, meaning your allied unit is gone if it can't damage an arena enemy while the same arena enemy can,

3. In the original, unlike the NDS version, no experience for healing, meaning your clerics can't grow unless they are attacked by the enemy,

4. In the original,  unlike the NDS version, the mechanics allow for an attack to still have a chance of missing, even if the attack shows 100 percent hit chance...

5. In the DS version, you get less experience gain for repetition, and said experience gain can decrease to zero in the event you abuse too much, but that mechanic doesn't exist in the original...

^ Due to the above differences, FE1 is technically a different game than FE11 was, although the story's main points are the same, so in turn, technically, this is my first time playing this game, despite the feeling that FE11 minus the Prologue is a similar game as FE1...

Don't forget balisticans being inexplicably short range in the original.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

I don't expect this game to have multiple difficulty levels. Though it'd be nice if it did as the original is a bit on the easy side.\

"If you play a game the first time, select the second hardest difficulty"

I mean in every game. But I guess you have already played other FE games before. Just choose the hardest difficulty. Merciless. (U can dowload save that unlocked this difficulty)

Try to think your stragegy first, then if you still dont make it out, check guide. 

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Don't forget balisticans being inexplicably short range in the original.

I don't really see how you can say it's "inexplicable" when it was their first appearance.

12 hours ago, Hirimi3X said:

I mean in every game. But I guess you have already played other FE games before. Just choose the hardest difficulty. Merciless. (U can dowload save that unlocked this difficulty)

Try to think your stragegy first, then if you still dont make it out, check guide. 

I really have no idea what you're talking about. The first game in the series only had one difficulty mode.

4 hours ago, Robert Stewart said:

I don't really see how you can say it's "inexplicable" when it was their first appearance.

Because they're bloody ballistic weaponry!

36 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I really have no idea what you're talking about. The first game in the series only had one difficulty mode.

Because they're bloody ballistic weaponry!

Wait! you're talking about the old version. Sorry for my stupid. I thought you're talking about the NDS one. Which name is FE shadow dragon too

Edited by Hirimi3X

5 hours ago, Hirimi3X said:

Wait! you're talking about the old version. Sorry for my stupid. I thought you're talking about the NDS one. Which name is FE shadow dragon too

Indeed. That's why we're in the NES and SNES forum and while the title is Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light. Speaking of which, does anyone know if the DS remake also shortened the title down to Shadow Dragon in Japanese, or was that just a localisation decision to cut down an overly long name?

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Indeed. That's why we're in the NES and SNES forum and while the title is Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light. Speaking of which, does anyone know if the DS remake also shortened the title down to Shadow Dragon in Japanese, or was that just a localisation decision to cut down an overly long name?

No, it's called New Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, like New Mystery's name but without the extra subtitle. Sometimes I think about what NM's localised name would have been if it had been released outside of Japan, assuming it wasn't a straight translation of the Japanese.

On 12/3/2020 at 7:27 PM, Stones said:

No, it's called New Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, like New Mystery's name but without the extra subtitle. Sometimes I think about what NM's localised name would have been if it had been released outside of Japan, assuming it wasn't a straight translation of the Japanese.

Ah. That actually makes a lot of sense. I guess it it were localized they would have called it Mystery of the Emblem. Or maybe even just Mystery if they were feeling succinct. Though that would maybe give the wrong impression of some kind of Fire Emblem Ace Attorney crossover. Despite its name Book 2 doesn't really have that much mystery about it.

So did the original Japanese manual have the weapon stats and the new manual doesn't have that info or did the original Japanese manual not have the weapon stats? (since the online english manual doesn't have any weapon stats and I think I heard the original Japanese manual actually had the weapon sttats.)

Edited by Samz707

I tried the original on my laptop with the most recent translation patch, but I did buy the Anniversary Edition, today actually. The collectibles are really nice.

And being able to play it on my Switch without dealing with an emulator on my laptop is pretty convenient.

2 hours ago, Samz707 said:

So did the original Japanese manual have the weapon stats and the new manual doesn't have that info or did the original Japanese manual not have the weapon stats? (since the online english manual doesn't have any weapon stats and I think I heard the original Japanese manual actually had the weapon sttats.)

the original japanese manual had weapon stats, so does the physical english manual, that comes with the special edition, why the digital version doesn't, eludes me.