So who`s playing Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light for the first time?

Jotari

Are you playing Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light for the first time?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Are you playing Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light for the first time?

• Yes, I am playing it for the first time.
    • No, I have played it previously and I am playing the offical translation now.
    • No, I played it before. Don`t feel the need to play it again now.
    • Not playing it now, don`t really plan to ever play it.

I had a feeling something was missing.

Out of curiosity, anything else missing in the English manual? (such as if for instance, it talks more about the characters.)

I used to have a Vita and the English Download Shadow Dragon Manual reminded me of the Vita "manuals",which were just text screens half the time that weren't even all the info in the manual, not even screenshots of the actual manual just white text on a background of around half the stuff in the manual. 

And when it was screenshots of the manual, you had the page that outlined the controls...and that was it usually. (Such as for Tomb Raider Anniversary, which is about 10-ish pages long but only 2 of them were actually in the digital manual.)

1 minute ago, Samz707 said:

I had a feeling something was missing.

Out of curiosity, anything else missing in the English manual? (such as if for instance, it talks more about the characters.)

I used to have a Vita and the English Download Shadow Dragon Manual reminded me of the Vita "manuals",which were just text screens half the time that weren't even all the info in the manual, not even screenshots of the actual manual just white text on a background of around half the stuff in the manual. 

And when it was screenshots of the manual, you had the page that outlined the controls...and that was it usually. (Such as for Tomb Raider Anniversary, which is about 10-ish pages long but only 2 of them were actually in the digital manual.)

The original Japanese manual had over 60 pages, the physical english manual has ca. 30, though as a European with no knowledge of Japanese language, comparing the pictures in the scans of the Japanese manual I have found online with frames in an unboxing video of somebody flicking through a physical english manual, it seems to me more like the physical english manual was condensed, than that something was cut therem though I might be wrong. But yeah, the digital version then is 16 pages, cutting weapon and movement stats, as well descriptions of characters.

2 minutes ago, tirex367 said:

The original Japanese manual had over 60 pages, the physical english manual has ca. 30, though as a European with no knowledge of Japanese language, comparing the pictures in the scans of the Japanese manual I have found online with frames in an unboxing video of somebody flicking through a physical english manual, it seems to me more like the physical english manual was condensed, than that something was cut therem though I might be wrong. But yeah, the digital version then is 16 pages, cutting weapon and movement stats, as well descriptions of characters.

Wonderful, are there any translations of those descriptions for characters online? (Since well, it's FE1 and I'm probably not gonna get to know the characters much outside of those.)

I mean technically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QlQphWkYJg

starting with 6:10 he flick through the manual.

EDIT:

Another unboxing with a more clearer picture with however the bottom missing, at 5:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQouDEnBcU

And another clearer picture with a hand in the way the most time starting at 3:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHnP0YU2liQ

Edited by tirex367
wanted to add more links

52 minutes ago, tirex367 said:

I mean technically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QlQphWkYJg

starting with 6:10 he flick through the manual.

EDIT:

Another unboxing with a more clearer picture with however the bottom missing, at 5:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQouDEnBcU

And another clearer picture with a hand in the way the most time starting at 3:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHnP0YU2liQ

Heres' hoping Nintendo realizes they messed up and add these to the Digital manual.

It's bad enough it's not included in the actual game download (Can the switch not support the ability to see the manual as an option outside of the game like the PSP Vita did?) but the manual is basically missing what seems to me to be literally the most important reason to look at it. (Stats for weapons.)

Edited by Samz707

It would have been nice if there was a digital version of the complete manual and it was available within the Switch (ideally accessible from the new features 'X' menu). I'm going to have to print out the weapon stats and terrain data since I keep mixing up some details. QoL features aside, the port's been enjoyable thus far and I'm happy I waited on trying FE1 until this release.

Just now, Silent Mercenary said:

It would have been nice if there was a digital version of the complete manual and it was available within the Switch (ideally accessible from the new features 'X' menu). I'm going to have to print out the weapon stats and terrain data since I keep mixing up some details. QoL features aside, the port's been enjoyable thus far and I'm happy I waited on trying FE1 until this release.

I've only done the first map but I am enjoying it so far.

it's just this is really, really bad to not include. (Since again weapon stats in FE are vital.)

On 12/4/2020 at 3:45 PM, tirex367 said:

The original Japanese manual had over 60 pages, the physical english manual has ca. 30, though as a European with no knowledge of Japanese language, comparing the pictures in the scans of the Japanese manual I have found online with 

Excuse me, would you pass a link to these scans of the original famicom game's manual? I have always been curious to read it, yet could never find it online.

Edited by Glennstavos

2 hours ago, tirex367 said:

This is excellent. Thank you for finding this. For years I had thought the "manual has the weapon stats" was just a myth in FE1's case

I’m sort of divided, the lack of combat forecast sounds really obnoxious since you have to manually calculate each combat round is really tedious. And there’s also the fact that playing Pokémon Yellow on Virtual Console has reminded me that 20-30 year old games do not age well.

25 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

I’m sort of divided, the lack of combat forecast sounds really obnoxious since you have to manually calculate each combat round is really tedious. And there’s also the fact that playing Pokémon Yellow on Virtual Console has reminded me that 20-30 year old games do not age well.

The lack of combat window doesn't bother me too much as the game is easy enough that I don't feel I need to calculate too much. The worst for me is the lack of range highlighting on unit's movement.