Least favorite GBA game

sunstarsage

Least favorite GBA Title  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which GBA era game is your least favorite?

Personally Fe7 I like the the least since I found it dull as hell with a story that's about on the same level as well written as fates story. 

Edit: How the bloody hell is binding blade an exercise in frustration because even on my first playthrough there were only 2 maps that I would consider frustrating(i.e. chapters 14 and 21 that's it!)

Edited by sunstarsage

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE7's writing is bad, but I actually really like Conquest. However, I don't think FE7 plays as well as either of its GBA brethren.

FE6 can have a bumpy early game but it's a fun challenge throughout with some really interesting unit designs.

FE8 is pretty easy and has a small cast, but the split promotions, short length, and neat experimental mechanics with monsters make it something fun to mess around with casually or put through a randomizer.

Overall I don't think FE7 has really standout gameplay. It also puts content behind Lyn mode, which...sucks, honestly.

i must say Sacred Stones

FE7 was my first FE so it kinda has a special place in my heart, despite what people might say against it, and while i find Binding Blade extremely annoying sometimes, my diehard JRPG completionist can't but love the concept of having a "true ending" locked behind some extra chapters, and i honestly want another FE to have this feature

Edited by Yexin

Binding Blade, EASILY. It's about as dull as ditchwater in terms of both gameplay and story, especially since the latter was pretty much copy-pasted from a prior game. It doesn't help that it's also an exercise in frustration.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Vanilla FE6 is an exercise in either boredom or frustration, IMO. The base game has mechanics that make the experience downright infuriating more often than the game is actually fun. And when it's not annoying, it's uninteresting. I really dislike it, to say the least.

FE8, quite simply because it introduced branching promotions (Screw Gaiden, Villager doesn't matter). I also like the concept and classes of the Monsters, but they could've been stronger.

Edit: somehow skipped over 'least' in the title.

FE6. Writing can be ignored, gameplay cannot, and I do not like FE6's gameplay.

Edited by L3xandr3

Haven't played Sacred Stones but I'd say Binding Blade is it.

It doesn't start bad but the obscure requirements for the good ending (which bothers me since you're locked out of a satisfying story conclusion/Using Promoted Roy for more than one chapter otherwise) and the game's generally late-game difficulty even on Normal, REALLY drag it down.

Enemies with staves that have so far range that it scrolls down the entirety of the screen, twice, that also rarely miss due to the fact it uses Resistance and ignores all your other dodge stats is absurd, I don't exactly think naturally that I need to scroll the entire screen up twice to check if I don't get sniped and I think it's just tedious having to check that and then that doesn't matter because they eventually start rushing your position most of the time after a certain low amount of turns.

Ambush Spawns are frankly BS and "Laws of Sacae" pretty much forcing you to attack a boss while surrounded by them isn't fun.

I enjoy the early game but the late-game feels like levels that throw way too much at you, to the point where the game gets tedious with how you have to keep checking for dudes sniping you 2 entire screens away with status staves, unfair Ambush Spawns and levels that feel like they have up to 3 highly difficult gimmicks being thrown at you at once.

It's like the devs completely forgot that self-control existed.

FE7 is my least favorite out of the 3, ..and to my surprise many people too 😕
i just Blaze through it, and thats it? no bumpy ride worth mentioning in normal mode. while FE6 normal mode put my (then) elementary schoolkid brain into overdrive (no unit allowed to die run). FE7 also has the least Divine weapon of the 3 games, so my little heart knows which is cooler.

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I haven't played FE6 in a decade. I dunno dude, can't we just like them all?

played it now ! i havent played it again for 15 years.. until two weeks ago.

FE7. any mode besides HHM is completely brainless, HHM at least has a few maps where it makes you think, but the maps are frankly, quite terrible, and not fun to play. FE6 I enjoy a lot, and makes me think without feeling unfair. FE8 is fairly easy, but the maps are still more interesting and not RNG-dependent.

FE8 is the obvious choice here. Its gameplay is kinda dull, and easily broken, meanwhile the blandula twins being forced into the center of the story helps to keep that dull as well.

FE7 has some weird gameplay issues, but the way it used its presentation, and the story to make some of the best an most believable characters in the whole series, which at least gives it more redeeming features than FE8

Spoiler

67-E23P54.png

just look at those facial expressions on this little shot here, with Hector unable to look at Nils, and so clearly angry at himself for what happened, and that's not even getting to the sorrow of Lyn. This even matches the different way these two grieve that we keep seeing throughout the story. Its the little details like this that make characters like Hector, Lyn, Eliwood, and even a few more minor ones like Matthew, Jaffar, and Nino, come alive in FE7.

FE6 is a spicy gameplay challenge that is rather fun, despite the story being rather empty.

I'd probably say Binding Blade just because of gameplay, it's the most frustrating of the three to actually play.

Blazing Blade has great characters and a great story with some good writing, and overall solid gameplay. Sacred Stones has mostly the same, but with a world map.

I gotta take FE7. I personally do not enjoy GBA gameplay much in its execution, so I just gotta go with the thing that bothers me the most. Do not like the story much and the maps are inconsistant like nothing else. It is actually kind of a shame really because the game has the most ambitious foundation of the three, using dynamic storytelling and characteremotions.

Binding Blade, though I still like it. Ambush spawns are bad and the maps are frequently too long IMO. And while its story is a little better than Blazing, it's still not really great. But I do like that it shows the most teeth of the three games.

FE7. Dull and boring imo, both in story and in gameplay. I think it has better balance than fe6 at least and perhaps more challenge than fe8 but I just have the least fun out of it among the three.

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

But I do like that it shows the most teeth of the three games.

Sure does: Gonzales.png

I like Binding Blade the most out of the three, but I'm not sure how I'd rank BlaBla vs. SacSto. The former is overall a bit more fun to play, I think, but FE8 has a much better story. I guess I'll go with 6 > 8 > 7.

8 > 6 > 7. They're all good, but there's something... weirdly bland about 7. It's pervasive. But it doesn't have the sanded-down appeal of 6, and 8's just really good.

I voted 7 for worst.

I played all 3 at least 50 times I believe. 6 is really annoying the first time but once you know the annoying reinforcements and the gaiden requirements it starts to get more fun. 8 is a bit bland to me story-wise, and far too short, but the gameplay is spiced up with skills and branched promotions which I enjoy. (Also it has Lute.) 7 is really fun the first time, but the fact that I always use small teams really hurts. Having the same 3 units every playthrough and 2 of them aren't that good, really hurt the replay value in my eyes.

I'm not used to post in Fire Emblem threads anymore, but seriously this result of the poll shocked me.

Never expected to see FE7 being the worst. Of the three parts it offers the most replaybility for having three routes. In terms of difficulty it's also the most balanced.

FE8 is a mixed bag. Whilst Ephraim's route is fun because challenging, Eirika's route is way too easy. Also it's a very short game overall. And most endgame's maps are easy warpskip. The defend map in Rausten is great though and my favorite GBA map.

FE6 is my least favorite part in the entire franchise, if I exclude the remakes because it gives me no replaybility at all. It's the most unbalanced game in the entire series for letting axe, lance and bow users suffering so much that the half cast is disqualified. It has a few good maps like the ones against Murdock and Zephiel, but it doesn't make up for it in the slightest. I never could play vanilla FE6 ever again.

Edited by Kasumi Yoshizawa

FE6, easy. It's not only my least fav. FE, but one of my least fav. games in general. Ambush spawns, low hit rates, 80% useless units, useless lord, bleh story, bad & long maps, gaiden chapters that make revelation maps look good. There's nothing redeemable about that game, imo. Everytime i try it i want to drop the series altogether. It has everything i hate from the Kaga games without anything i love from them.

FE7 isn't much better, even if it's more of the zzz variant.

Honestly i consider the GBA era generally to be the weakest in the series. Only FE8 i kinda like, and only after a difficulty patch.

Edited by Shrimperor