Your headcanons for anything FE-related!

henrymidfields

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/10/2021 at 3:34 PM, Samz707 said:

A drunk Manuela would definitely proposition Byleth for sex at least once if it wasn't for the age rating.

Going off of your idea, it definitely happened off-screen. Byleth agreed, never really having "the talk," but before anything happened, Manuela got drunk and passed out. This left a false impression of what sex was in Byleth's mind, and that impression wouldn't be corrected until Byleth was married.

17 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Going off of your idea, it definitely happened off-screen. Byleth agreed, never really having "the talk," but before anything happened, Manuela got drunk and passed out. This left a false impression of what sex was in Byleth's mind, and that impression wouldn't be corrected until Byleth was married.

Unless of course you marry Lindhardt, then it's not corrected for a good bit longer.

49 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Or alternatively, Byleth understood sex very well, having a rich sex life across the continent as a rough'n tumble mercenary. Jearlt certainly provided oppertunity by leaving teenage Byleth alone for long enough periods of time while he was off having his second family with Leonie.

Edited by Jotari

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Or alternatively, Byleth understood sex very well, having a rich sex life across the continent as a rough'n tumble mercenary. Jearlt certainly provided oppertunity by leaving teenage Byleth alone for long enough periods of time while he was off having his second family with Leonie.

Possibly, but Jeralt kept Byleth away from most places and people. I doubt Byleth had too much of an opportunity to be "thanked" by villagers or visit any brothels. (This feels especially true for F!Byleth...then again, I could see Jeralt taking F!Byleth to a brothel in order to have some more experienced women give her the talk and some advice. Sure, he could leave it to a mercenary ally of his, but the more anonymous the person, the less likely they'd be tracked.)

Edited by Use the Falchion

2 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Possibly, but Jeralt kept Byleth away from most places and people. I doubt Byleth had too much of an opportunity to be "thanked" by villagers or visit any brothels. (This feels especially true for F!Byleth.)

I don't think Byleth was just locked in a room when Jeralt was off playing second daddy to Leonie. That would be supremely cruel of Jeralt. Plus there were other mercenaries in the group besides Jeralt and Byleth. They tried to keep away from public lime light, but they didn't forgo society entirely.

Just now, Jotari said:

I don't think Byleth was just locked in a room when Jeralt was off playing second daddy to Leonie. That would be supremely cruel of Jeralt. Plus there were other mercenaries in the group besides Jeralt and Byleth. They tried to keep away from public lime light, but they didn't forgo society entirely.

Definitely not locked in a room, but probably on the outskirts of society. It'd be like a more extreme version of Aloy at the beginning of Horizon: Zero Dawn - an outside who knows about aspects of society, but not everything and is far from it. Byleth didn't know about the Church of Seiros, the Tragedy of Duscur (or Duscur people), or any major history or events. That's a level of ignorance that one has to try to succeed at. There isn't much place for romance or trysts in places like that...or at least not any informative ones. 

In terms of Leonie and Jeralt, I never got the feeling that it was longer than a few weeks at most. Jeralt was there for a mission, trained Leonie along the way enough to make a difference and an impact, and then left. Jeralt doesn't take much stock in the experience until he meets Leonie and sees how much it meant to her, and then he seems to care. 

28 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Definitely not locked in a room, but probably on the outskirts of society. It'd be like a more extreme version of Aloy at the beginning of Horizon: Zero Dawn - an outside who knows about aspects of society, but not everything and is far from it. Byleth didn't know about the Church of Seiros, the Tragedy of Duscur (or Duscur people), or any major history or events. That's a level of ignorance that one has to try to succeed at. There isn't much place for romance or trysts in places like that...or at least not any informative ones. 

In terms of Leonie and Jeralt, I never got the feeling that it was longer than a few weeks at most. Jeralt was there for a mission, trained Leonie along the way enough to make a difference and an impact, and then left. Jeralt doesn't take much stock in the experience until he meets Leonie and sees how much it meant to her, and then he seems to care. 

The fact that it wasn't all that special to him probably shows that he did go on extended trips around the continent alone on a semi frequent basis. We also get to see the sort of rural settlements Byleth grew up in via the likes of Remire VIllage. It's no city, but it's also far from nothing. The people who live in villages themselves of that size certainly find them populated enough to have romance and trysts. Byleth likely didn't stick around long enough for any legit romance to happen, but hooking up, absolutely plausible.

Edited by Jotari

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The fact that it wasn't all that special to him probably shows that he did go on extended trips around the continent alone on a semi frequent basis.

Or it was just a mission, and he doesn't think about those affected by the mission too much. Or some mixture of both. 

1 minute ago, Use the Falchion said:

Or it was just a mission, and he doesn't think about those affected by the mission too much. Or some mixture of both. 

I added more to the comment. We actually have an outright example of the sort of communities Byleth spent time in.

Mark wears green because he actually spends a not-in-significant amount of time during battles hiding behind a bush giving orders while not hiding inside of the main lord. (Like an Medieval Ghillie Suit.) as well as possibly how he travels when on his own by hiding from Bandits with it. (And being caught out in the open plains with little cover is why Lyn found him unconscious.)

Clearly, after the new CYL: It's clear Gatekeeper is actually a god-power entity, capable of summoning Garreg Mach itself to him at will.

The weird time-distortion in 3H? Where eating food a few times a day and training makes it night time but you can go across the continent, fight and come back in a day? His work.

Why can Byleth not go back far enough to save Jeralt despite easily being able to do so in gameplay? because of him, after all, there wouldn't be as much to report if Jeralt dies.

Why do Byleth's god powers not allow a Golden Route newgame plus? Because he shows up and stops them, because he can't report on a war if it never happens.

He is a cosmic entity of chaos that wants as much to  report on as possible.

On 8/16/2021 at 1:16 PM, Samz707 said:

Why do Byleth's god powers not allow a Golden Route newgame plus? Because he shows up and stops them, because he can't report on a war if it never happens.

They actually planned a golden route, with Gatekeeper as the final boss. But the devs quickly realized that A) killing Gatekeeper shouldn't be possible, and B) no route where Gatekeeper dies can call itself "golden".

On 8/12/2021 at 9:51 AM, Use the Falchion said:

I honestly don't think Jeralt would do that though. I mean, it's one thing to keep them in the dark about the church, but to not teach his son/daughter the most basic of things about life and forego the most basica parental responsibilities? That would just make him an awful parent; not to mention, Jeralt really doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would shy away from those things with how blunt and direct he is, especially knowing he'll have to tell them to his child sooner or later (especially when they grew up amongst mercenaries, who are normally rambunctious and something of party animals in these kinds of stories).

On 8/12/2021 at 11:06 AM, Use the Falchion said:

Byleth "not knowing" about the Tragedy of Duscur is only one of the options in that line of dialogue, iirc they can also say "I've heard of it", meaning that even if they wouldn't exactly have a big picture of the conflict as a whole (which would be understandable, given that they had nothing to do with it and also aren't inherently connected to Faerghus), they are indeed aware of it and of Duscurians (just more on the level that any other normal civilian would be). And honestly, if Jeralt truly had kept Byleth as ignorant as you say, then not only would Jeralt be an even more awful parent, he'd also be a failure as a leader; he and Byleth are both mercenaries, and the lifestyle of a mercenary is a really rough one, one that one rquiers coming face-to-face with the real world on multiple occasions, which one needs more than brute strength to survive into, they also need to be savvy, and if Jeralt truly hadn't allowed Byleth to learn about taking care of themselves in life despite having them in his ranks as mercs, then it wouldn't make sense for someone who's supposedly such an amazing leader and has years upon years of experience under his belt.

Not to mention it'd also make Byleth not make any sense in the story proper. If Byleth truly was this ignorant golem of a person who truly has no idea about life or society, then them being the amazing teacher and leader they supposedly are wouldn't make any sense; hell, it wouldn't make sense for them hold their teaching position for longer than a few weeks at best. I mean, the fact that they go around inviting people to have dinner with them, organizing tea parties, giving advice through an advice box and can outright train someone to win a dance competition (to the point that their trainee impresses even a retired songstress) would tell you that they do have at the very least more experience with society than just "knowing aspects of it"; hell, if they really were kept that ignorant, then it wouldn't make sense for them to outright propose to someone at the end of the story. 

On 8/12/2021 at 10:56 AM, Use the Falchion said:

Possibly, but Jeralt kept Byleth away from most places and people. I doubt Byleth had too much of an opportunity to be "thanked" by villagers or visit any brothels. (This feels especially true for F!Byleth...then again, I could see Jeralt taking F!Byleth to a brothel in order to have some more experienced women give her the talk and some advice. Sure, he could leave it to a mercenary ally of his, but the more anonymous the person, the less likely they'd be tracked.)

That would also kinda go against things that the story itself says. Byleth and Jeralt are both famed mercenaries throughout Fodlan, and Byleth themselves even have an established reputation as the "Ashen Demon". That's not a resume that someone who was "kept away from most places and people" would have (not to mention, in Byleth's FE Heroes bio, it also says that they traveled all over Fodlan as a mercenary and fought in numerous battles). Also, Jeralt never says or shows that he was keeping Byleth away from society, Jeralt was only trying to keep both himself and Byleth away from the church; and there's also the fact that he wasn't even trying to hide from the church, he was simply trying to have as little contact with them as possible. There's also the fact that in the Japanese dub, at one point Byleth proposes celebrating with beer and booze, which is the way that mercenaries normally celebrate, which implies that, yes, they have indeed gone to taverns or even brothels with Jeralt and his mercenaries before. 

Also, it is indeed completely plausible that Byleth had a lay on the sack at some point or another in their lives. Again, I bring up the Japanese dub where it's shown that Byleth can make raunchy jokes, and they do so openly; implying that, at the very least, they are indeed knowledgeable about sex and probably have no shame or problem bringing up the subject (which is normally more likely in people who have experience in that sort of thing). And let's be honest, Byleth for all intents and purposes was a perfectly healthy human being, and like any other human, they would've had points where their hormones got out of control, and them being rough n' tumble wandering mercs like Jotari said who were contrantly moving into all sorts of towns with all sorts of girls/boys, well... Not to mention, with how good-looking and well-built they are, I honestly can't imagine that no one ever approached them to try taking them to the bed (especially in the case of the female Byleth).

Edited by Cosmic_Dragon

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Dragon said:

That would also kinda go against things that the story itself says. Byleth and Jeralt are both famed mercenaries throughout Fodlan, and Byleth themselves even have an established reputation as the "Ashen Demon". That's not a resume that someone who was "kept away from most places and people" would have (not to mention, in Byleth's FE Heroes bio, it also says that they traveled all over Fodlan as a mercenary and fought in numerous battles). Also, Jeralt never says or shows that he was keeping Byleth away from society, Jeralt was only trying to keep both him and Byleth away from the church; and there's also the fact that he wasn't even trying to hide from the church, he was simply trying to have as little contact with them as possible. There's also the fact that in the Japanese dub, at one point Byleth proposes celebrating with beer and booze, which is the way that mercenaries normally celebrate, which implies that, yes, they have indeed gone to taverns or even brothels with Jeralt and his mercenaries before. 

Also, it is indeed completely plausible that Byleth had a lay on the sack at some point or another in their lives. Again, I bring up the Japanese dub where it's shown that Byleth can actually make raunchy jokes at points, and they do so openly; implying that, at the very least, they are indeed knowledgeable about sex and probably have no shame or problem bringing up the subject (which is normally more likely in people who have experience in that sort of thing). And let's be honest, Byleth for all intents and purposes was a perfectly healthy human being, and like any other human, they would've had points where their hormones got out of control, and them being rough n' tumble wandering mercs like Jotari said who were contrantly moving into all sorts of towns with all sorts of girls/boys, well... Not to mention, with how good-looking and well-built they are, I honestly can't imagine that no one ever approached them to try taking them to the bed (especially in the case of the female Byleth).

So the English version actually removed alot of good bits then? 

Byleth being able to make raunchy jokes/propose drinking would have been good.

18 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

So the English version actually removed alot of good bits then? 

Byleth being able to make raunchy jokes/propose drinking would have been good.

I think there's actually some other moments that were changed in localization.

For example, the raunchy joke they make is in Edelgard's C-Support when she asks them what they are doing wandering around at night, and they can jokingly answer with "night crawling", which is an old Japanese term for men sneaking into women's rooms at night to have sex with them. I guess that localization changed that cause they either didn't find a way to properly translate it (the term doesn't have any equivalent to it in the English language), or they probably thought it'd make Byleth come across as creepy (even if they were just joking).

There's another Byleth joke moment that didn't make it into localization in Azure Moon. It's at the end of Dimitri's paralogue where, in the Japanese dub, Byleth can jokingly call Dimitri a Hikikomori (japanese term for introverted nerd who barely ever goes out) and if you have Bernadetta alive and recruited, Dimitri will complain that he's nothing like her; pretty funny honestly. xD

Edited by Cosmic_Dragon

11 minutes ago, Cosmic_Dragon said:

For example, the raunchy joke they make is in Edelgard's C-Support when she asks them what they are doing wandering around at night, and they can jokingly answer with "night crawling", which is an old japanese term for men sneaking into women's rooms at night to have sex with them. I guess that localization changed that cause they either didn't find a way to properly translate it, or they probably thought it'd make Byleth come across as creepy.

I can just imagine how much of a fit Seteth would have if he heard Byleth saying that.

I don't mind creepy/being a jerk dialogue choices as long as the game has characters react appropriately to it. (which, granted, it's 3H so if the Avatar-Worship is like in the English version there could be bits where characters don't take as much offense as they should, which is honestly half the fun of intentionally picking that kind of dialogue.)

I like to imagine the "Training Gauntlets" are actually basically the Fodlan equivalent of a Police Baton/Tonfa as it highly resembles one.

Edited by Samz707

23 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I can just imagine how much of a fit Seteth would have if he heard Byleth saying that.

Eh, I imagine he'd most likely scold them, but not really in any severe way, more like he'd just give them a warning (unless Flayn was around to hear it. Then sh*t would hit the fan, even if Flayn probably wouldn't get the joke xD); I mean, the guy deals with worse (just look at his C-Support with Manuela, haha).

Edited by Cosmic_Dragon

5 minutes ago, Cosmic_Dragon said:

Eh, I imagine he'd most likely scold them, but not really in any severe way, more like he'd just give them a warning (unless Flayn was around to hear it. Then sh*t would hit the fan, even if Flayn probably wouldn't get the joke xD); I mean, the guy deals with worse (just look at his C-Support with Manuela, haha).

So is that whole bit about Byleth learning to open up to others (offscreen that we have to be clumsily informed about) still in the Japanese version? 

34 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

So is that whole bit about Byleth learning to open up to others (offscreen that we have to be clumsily informed about) still in the Japanese version? 

Hmm, couldn't really tell you tbh. There's only so much I've managed to get from the differences between the Japanese dub and the English one and also managed to corroborate (my Japanese is nice but it isn't the best). I imagine it'd still be there, but I also can't really remember which chapter exactly they said that.

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

I like to imagine the "Training Gauntlets" are actually basically the Fodlan equivalent of a Police Baton/Tonfa as it highly resembles one.

You know, now that you mention it, you're right, it does look an awful lot like that. Makes me wonder, what would be the equivalent of a Taser there (the Thunder spell perhaps?). 

5 hours ago, Cosmic_Dragon said:

For example, the raunchy joke they make is in Edelgard's C-Support when she asks them what they are doing wandering around at night, and they can jokingly answer with "night crawling", which is an old Japanese term for men sneaking into women's rooms at night to have sex with them. I guess that localization changed that cause they either didn't find a way to properly translate it (the term doesn't have any equivalent to it in the English language), or they probably thought it'd make Byleth come across as creepy (even if they were just joking).

Hmm. I could actually believe that one was altered on the difficulty of translation. I think if I were charged with that I would have localized it as "Virgin Hunting". It's not really an established term in English, but it conveys the same sense of indirect raunchiness while also being extreme enough to obviously be a joke. Though if they did translate it in such a way then I know the fan base would have absolutely run with it and depicted Byleth as some kind of predator. Maybe "Unicorn Hunting" could have been a more subtle way of hitting on the same idea, with the added humor of that support taking place in doors.

4 hours ago, Cosmic_Dragon said:

Headcannon, Flayn absolutely would get the joke. The girl has been around for like two or three thousand years already. Much to Seteth's dismay, she has heard it all.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Hmm. I could actually believe that one was altered on the difficulty of translation. I think if I were charged with that I would have localized it as "Virgin Hunting". It's not really an established term in English, but it conveys the same sense of indirect raunchiness while also being extreme enough to obviously be a joke. Though if they did translate it in such a way then I know the fan base would have absolutely run with it and depicted Byleth as some kind of predator. Maybe "Unicorn Hunting" could have been a more subtle way of hitting on the same idea, with the added humor of that support taking place in doors.

If I ever write a fantasy thing, I'm stealing Unicorn Hunting, that is really good and I'm sad now that isn't in 3H as I would have burst out laughing at that.

Edited by Samz707

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Personally, I would've gone with "Unicorn Hunting". Sounds like it has just the right amount of subtlety and playfulness for a T-rated game. "Virgin Hunting" kinda sounds a bit more direct, which I think would've been more appropriate if the game had been rated M instead. 

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Headcannon, Flayn absolutely would get the joke. The girl has been around for like two or three thousand years already. Much to Seteth's dismay, she has heard it all.

Yeah, that's why I said "probably". We don't know exactly how long Flayn's been around, but sure enough, she's been around long enough to certainly be able to have knowledge about such things. But we also have to remember that she was sleep for many years (possibly centuries) and then spent most of her time after waking up in isolation along with Seteth. On the other hand, she was also an active participant in the War of Heroes and who knows exactly how long she was alive before that.

Edited by Cosmic_Dragon

3 hours ago, Samz707 said:

If I ever write a fantasy thing, I'm stealing Unicorn Hunting, that is really good and I'm sad now that isn't in 3H as I would have burst out laughing at that.

Coincidentally, I heard one possible lesser interpretation of the Unicorn Tapestries and the notion of catching unicorns in the medieval period as "an allegory on catching a husband". The unicorn representing a lustful romantic who gets tamed into Christian virtue by falling in love with a modest virgin.