Do you skip anime openings?

indigoasis

For those of you that watch anime on the regular or irregular, do you tend to skip anime openings? For what reasons?

I recently started watching Psycho-Pass 3 to continue the story after having watched the first two seasons, the movie, and the Sinners of the System specials. So far, I'm absolutely LOVING this season, and one of my favorite parts about it is the opening and ending. For most anime that I watch, I've been skipping the openings to save on time. Granted, it's not much time, but it's something. However, with Psycho-Pass 3, I don't think I've skipped the opening even once so far. Honestly, it's so gorgeous and well-made, and the music absolutely bops.

I'm gonna put it in a spoiler tag for anyone who's interested in taking a peek at the OP.

Spoiler

Definitely one of my new favorite anime openings, alongside what will probably be my favorite season of Psycho-Pass so far.

Since I noticed that I hadn't been skipping like I typically do (it's not because I don't like an OP, I usually do it to get to the content of the episode faster), I felt curious about what reasons others may have for skipping or not skipping openings?

most of the time when i start a new series i'll watch the opening between one and three times, and i'll rewatch it once whenever i notice the song changed

EDIT: to clarify, this is when the streaming service has a 'Skip Intro/Recap' button or option. if it's oldschool and just a progress bar i usually can't be fucked to skip it and just go do something else for a minute

i'm not sure i've ever watched an outro all the way through except for the great pretender

Edited by Integrity

Hell no. That's a crime (usually).

As a more serious answer I enjoy watching the OPs a lot and never skip those. Even if the song isn't super entertaining for me, usually the visuals will carry that (an example would be Fruits Basket, which I wasn't a massive fan of the music for the OPs but the visuals were amazing).

EDs is a different answer- I tend to skip those a fair bit, unless, as Integrity pointed out, they have no skip button. However, considering Fruits Basket was my most recent anime, the EDs were gorgeous and its honestly making me more inclined to watch the full endings of more anime in the future

7 minutes ago, Integrity said:

most of the time when i start a new series i'll watch the opening between one and three times, and i'll rewatch it once whenever i notice the song changed

EDIT: to clarify, this is when the streaming service has a 'Skip Intro/Recap' button or option. if it's oldschool and just a progress bar i usually can't be fucked to skip it and just go do something else for a minute

i'm not sure i've ever watched an outro all the way through except for the great pretender

same here, especially if I want to binge watch something

it's really rare for me to watch the into to any show unless it's super short

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Yes I skip anime

you're skipping the entire thread, lol

1 hour ago, indigoasis said:

Since I noticed that I hadn't been skipping like I typically do (it's not because I don't like an OP, I usually do it to get to the content of the episode faster), I felt curious about what reasons others may have for skipping or not skipping openings?

skipping if

• it has cringe song and uninspired animation.
  • marathon/binge watch and its approaching its climax where i dont want to stop anymore
  • have seen it at least more than 10 times
  • watching while eating (eating food actually take less than 20 minutes, but i like to combine it)
  • its hentai (why would that thing have OP/ED anyway... )

not skipping if

• the song is catchy af with slick animation, ( for recent anime example look jujutsu kaisen )
  • im currently watching weekly episodic anime (so theres only one episode that i can watch atm)
  • theres someone in the room that i want them to see how great the OP/ED is, so i can boast my good taste

huh, theres more reasons to skip than i realized 😕

1 hour ago, Integrity said:

That's easily the most fitting ending for any anime I've seen (probably helps that both anime title and ending song share the same name, lol).

36 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Yes I skip anime

This is actually really funny, lol. I'll pose this question to you then: For any show that you watch with an opening title sequence, and if you have the power to do so, do you skip it's opening? Or do you find something else to do in between?

21 minutes ago, joevar said:

huh, theres more reasons to skip than i realized 😕

Your fifth reason is a little unconventional, but it works, haha

And yeah, it kinda sucks that there's more incentive to skip than compared to not skipping. Of course, there may be more reasons than just the ones you've listed, so there could be more reasons to not skip the intro, too. Even then, I'd say that it depends on the intro and the viewer's interests.

It all depends on whether I like them or not. For almost all the anime I've seen, I either like all the openings with a couple exceptions, or dislike them all with a couple of exceptions. 

Where I liked the openings overall:

1. One-Punch Man (both openings, no exceptions)
  2. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (the exception being opening 2)
  3. Violet Evergarden (the one opening it did have; it was a short anime)
  4. Record of Grancrest War (both openings, no exceptions)
  5. Black Clover (all 12 openings, no exceptions)
  6. TONIKAWA: Fly Me to the Moon (the one opening it has so far; it's brand new)

Where I disliked the openings overall:

1. Naruto (no exceptions)
  2. Naruto Shippuden (the exceptions being openings 3, 6 and 7)
  3. Boruto: Naruto Next Generations (no exceptions, though weirdly, I like endings 2 and 5 enough that I would've preferred if they had been openings)
  4. My Hero Academia (the exceptions being openings 1 and 6)

Usually, both the song and the visuals have to be good for me to enjoy it, which makes it amazing that Black Clover in particular has managed to have twelve consistently good openings in a row; I know I haven't watched much anime, but how many of you have watched a show with that many openings and never skipped a single one?

1 hour ago, indigoasis said:

This is actually really funny, lol. I'll pose this question to you then: For any show that you watch with an opening title sequence, and if you have the power to do so, do you skip it's opening? Or do you find something else to do in between?

There's actually a show I watched recently for a little research project, and I was skipping the intro just to save time. But in general no, I don't skip intros. The theme songs are often catchy, and I tend to already have my attention divided by something else already.

Edited by Glennstavos

Oh yeah, i know the question was about openings but i skip the endings like 99% of the time. Even if i like the song, i usually just download the full version.

Sometimes i do stick around for the endings but that's on a rare occasion and probably once or twice per anime. The only anime where i stay for the ending almost 100% of the time is JoJo and that's because of the unique approach JoJo takes towards it's ending songs.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The only anime where i stay for the ending almost 100% of the time is JoJo and that's because of the unique approach JoJo takes towards it's ending songs

you mean when the ending song starts kicking before the actual ending animation and timed properly with the ongoing scene?

24 minutes ago, joevar said:

you mean when the ending song starts kicking before the actual ending animation and timed properly with the ongoing scene?

Only Parts 1 and 2 do that but no, I'm referring to the fact that JoJo EDs are licensed songs that have existed for years and aren't even Japanese in origin. I can't really think of another anime that does this.

I will mention Tower of God and The God of Highschool here. I haven't watched those shows but while the songs are made for those shows, they are not Japanese in origin because the source material is Korean.

But an anime straight-up licensing an existing song from a different country for your ending song, only JoJo has done that to my knowledge. 

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

But an anime straight-up licensing an existing song from a different country for your ending song, only JoJo has done that to my knowledge. 

anime eden of the east done that before jojo. (yes, its not japanese song, but from british band) and im pretty sure there are others altho cant remember which.

licensing song for use something like anime is tricky, theres simultaneous airing in japan tv, online service, dvd box, and other version too. the most we can get now is something like God of highschool OP/ED which make the process of licensing way easier since anime studio also co-produce it

but still a rarity among rarity ofc, because creating new songs easily fit the theme of its anime rather than spending time searching millions of songs that may or may not fit

Edited by joevar

I only skip if I don't like the song.

Which can also include the endings and is probably why I've stopped my rewatch of Pokémon XY entirely in Japanese as Peace Smile! just gets me singing it and not paying attention to anything else.

22 hours ago, Armagon said:

Great Pretender on Netflix actually went this route! They used... wait for it... The Great Pretender by Freddie Mercury.

Usage of pre-existing licensed songs for the ED is definitely one of JJBA's claim to fame, though.

I generally (Don't watch much anime) start skipping after the 4-5th time I see it, especially when I'm watching multiple episodes in a row.

Only exception is Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex 2nd GIG because it's amazing and I love it.

Edited by Samz707

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

That's a video game pal. Not the same medium. Although I definitely didn't skip the Fire Emblem cartoon. That rocked.

It's anime, though. You didn't say you skip Japanese animated tv shows. ;):