Do you skip anime openings?

indigoasis

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Although I definitely didn't skip the Fire Emblem cartoon. That rocked.

I honestly wish it was a bit longer, if only just a few more episodes. I think it had a lot of potential.

Rarely. If its a show that has an opening I enjoy, K-on, Toradora or the Third One Piece opening, I'll watch it with the show. Or if it's a show I'm watching one episode a day I'll watch the opeing with it, did this with Chunibyo and Mitsuboshi Colors. The only time I've ever skipped has got to be when I'm binging One Piece, trying to get through as many episodes as possible, except for the third opening. That song is really good.

43 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

I honestly wish it was a bit longer, if only just a few more episodes. I think it had a lot of potential.

Yeah, I figured those two episodes were just serving as pilots to get picked up for a full series, but it fell through. Maybe they decided the show was too mature with such explicit death. Navarre especially was a grim character. Look at his hands!

13 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Yeah, I figured those two episodes were just serving as pilots to get picked up for a full series, but it fell through. Maybe they decided the show was too mature with such explicit death. Navarre especially was a grim character. Look at his hands!

Japan doesn’t do pilots though. Most of the time anime are greenlit even before production begins as most of them are adaptations of already popular source material. Though this was back in the 90s so you never know.

54 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I recall hearing at some point they were pilots.

I know the Sonic "OVA" was actually two pilot episodes of an Anime that got turned into a movie for the West. 

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I see we share a double-standard, what I'd never watch, I might tolerate in the form of a video game.

Hey I'm not saying I run and hide under the covers when a cutscene crops up in fire emblem, I just think video games are the superior medium for long, drawn out stories about an inexplicably untouchable protagonist collecting macguffins and comparing power levels in a tournament arc. For a more concrete example, Asura's Wrath is basically an anime retooled into a beat em up game that is 50% cutscenes and QTEs, and I think it's loads of fun.

Edited by Glennstavos

On 12/4/2020 at 3:42 PM, Glennstavos said:

The actual reason is that, after those first two episodes, the animation studio literally ran out of money. They didn't have enough money to keep the project (or the studio itself) going. 

Oh, well. At least it was a decent enough show that it got cancelled for financial reasons rather than it being complete garbage (cough Mario and Zelda cartoons cough). 

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the series. I'm pretty sure I listened to the intro of Darling in the FranXX and Kimetsu no Yaiba like every single time. But usually I do skip them, especially if I'm binge watching. I can always find them on YouTube and listen to them if I desire to do so.

• 1 month later...

If I'm watching on a game console, roku, or other system where I am not using a mouse, I prefer to just watch the opening. I don't like missing any little part of the episode, even if it's just a slow pan of the environment, and I find it hard to get the skip juuuuust right when not using a mouse.

If I'm watching on my laptop though, it fully depends on the opening. Some openings I like enough to watch all the way through all 12 or so times a season, others I can't stand and need to skip, and then there's the openings that fall into neither category; in those cases I kinda just randomly decide if I wanna watch it or not.

What I'm not a fan of are openings that have subtle changes depending on progress made in the anime. I remember Amagi Brilliant Park had one such change, but I never found out until the final episode...

I pretty much never skip openings unless I really, and I mean REALLY, hate them. Either that or it's a case like Hunter x Hunter where it just uses the same never changing opening.

Endings I'm a bit more likely to skip though. If I know there's nothing at the end (previews not withstanding) and I don't like the song, then I'm a more likely to just skip straight to the next episode.