If you had the chance to remake FE4 what would you add or want to see?

On 2/7/2021 at 6:10 AM, Dandy Druid said:

A little late to the party, but let's see what people got. I've recently been replaying FE4 and tbh, it's not as big of a slog as I remember. Maybe it's because I know what I'm doing this time and know how to move at an efficient pace. 

What do you mean? Jugdral has no instance of homophobia in it IIRC. And honestly, is it that big of a deal? Personally, I wouldn't make anyone in the First Gen gay, but in the second gen? Who cares. Who they end up with isn't that important since most of them have set endings regardless if they have a lover or not. Even some girls like Tinni and Julia don't necessarily follow their lovers home because they have their own stations and responsibilities. Having 1 pair of gay lovers wouldn't change their endings that much either. Would Dermott and Ulster's characters change that much if they're gay/bisexual? Nope. The only thing it does is make some fans feel more included and pair up a couple of dudes who most likely wouldn't be paired up anyway because the M to F ratio is 15:9, and one of the ladies is in love with her foster brother and is off the market.

If your reasoning for not wanting LGBT characters is because medieval era Europe was homophobic, I'd say that's a weak reason. This is a fictional game, and the rise of homophobia corresponds heavily with the rise of Christianity. Christianity is a not a religion in Jugdral.

The degree of how much change an FE4 remake has always been back and forth for me. As of now, I am in very much agreement with you. Me two years ago wanted it to be a more standard FE, with about 35-40 chapters with "normal" map design. Now, I would like it to be the same as the original. The huge map sizes, the way the story is told as gameplay unfolds, the formations, is all what makes FE4 really unique among FEs. And tbh, sometimes I think people claim the game is way slower than it actually is. Especially Gen 2 where the enemy throws front after front at you. The only things I would change would be some of the geography. Chapter 2 comes to mind, and I wish there was a section where there was no cliffs on the eastern side of the map. That way, you can have your army flank Mackily Castle and its solders with a battalion coming from the South and a battalion from the West. I don't expect a high budget remake for this game since it's going to be a hard sell. It'll probably be like Echoes, which was a side project with a much more modest sales expectation.

I would also give Infantry units one more additional movement upon promotion, but keep mounted units the same. The only exceptions being the characters that start as infantry and class change into mounted units.

I would also consider merging 2 classes (Arch Knight and Ranger) since being locked to one weapon type after promotion is kinda meh for me. Plus, they're combined in almost every other FE game and I just want Midir, Lester, and Dimna a close range option. Also, adding in a Shining Bow would be nice if you decided to pair Aideen with Azel.

I also agree that free trading is game breaking and completely invalidates the personal wallet system. I feel like free trading should only be done by characters with a reason to, if they're siblings, parent/child, and/or lovers. It makes sense for a pair of lovers to trade freely, but not two strangers. For example, it doesn't make sense for Phee to trade freely with Asaello right when you get him in Chapter 8. She doesn't know him.

I don't consider them arbitrary. Your army is led by individuals with their own agendas. Nearly every person has their reason for joining Seliph's army, and it's mainly due to heading in a similar direction. However, not everyone is friends with everyone nor should they be. Historically, some battalions didn't want to share their spoils with other members of the army because they felt like they earned it more than other divisions. This was common in ancient armies because it gave the weaker battalions incentive to do better. Gameplay-wise, the money system forces you to pay attention to everyone's inventory and what they need and if they can afford it. It also gives purpose to your thief, who's designed around giving money to units who have a hard time generating it on their own.

I do like the majority of your ideas, including a rescue/pair up system. Might I also suggest the battalion system from Three Houses? FE4's army is largely implied to be a much bigger scale than the game can provide.

I'm also for just releasing it on VC. Although nice, shiny new graphics would be lovely, an official translation and a cleaner UI on the Switch would be enough for me. If they can do it for FE1, which is just visually hard to sit through for me, then they can definitely do it for FE4.

I'm ok with Arion being playable, even if it was the last chapter. I just want to use the Gungnir at least once.

As for the others, it would be a little tough to give them a niche in your army. FE4 has very little unit overlap and they'll be directly competing with other characters. Sara would fulfill a role too similar to Julia, and I believe she's meant to be a more unique character. I do believe Saias has a place though. Although there's already 2 other High Priests, Saias would be more offense-focused while the other 2 are just great staffbots.

yes,  Arion being playable is something I really want, he could be a good Gotoh archetype, the other two I feel like they should be there, Saias to bunr manfroy down with valflame and Sara to have her clousure 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

but wait is that an issue already in the game? Can you level up your thief to max just by having them pass gold back and forth with their lover?

It is in the game. Is it an issue? I don't think so. If people want to pass gold back and forth for exp on crappy units be my guest. I don't think it makes the game any less fun.

7 hours ago, darkblade2814 said:

yes,  Arion being playable is something I really want, he could be a good Gotoh archetype, the other two I feel like they should be there, Saias to bunr manfroy down with valflame and Sara to have her clousure 

Arion would be cool to have, and they can explain his character a bit more. His characterization is all over the place, so it would be nice to have a distinct Arion.

Now that you mention it, Saias would be cool with Valflame. I can see him becoming playable after Chapter 8 or 9. 

Sara would be cool too. I'd imagine as a unit she may be too similar to Julia so we need to be careful with how she is designed.

On 2/8/2021 at 6:00 PM, Jotari said:

Glancing at this thread (how did I not notice it fter two months???) I see a lot of people have similar ideas, but I:ll be repetitive anyway to show where i stand on such issues. In bold are points that I don:t think anyone else has suggested yet. So you can easily pick them out and judge me for them.

*Make it so you only get Mystletainn in Gen II if you kill Edelgard, in which case Lachesis gets it and passes it down to Nana who gives it to Aless. This makes the Edelgard fight a choice between the Earth Sword, for immediate gains and rewards, or the Mystletainn for much larger rewards.

*Have Arione only attack (abd thus join you) in the final chapter if you seize the castle without killing him (out of the major bosses it never really made sense why Julius would save him and him alone other than Ishtore).

*Obviously rebalance weapon weight.

*Also obvious but give us a proper support system to prevent accidental marriages.

*Reclassing, Fates style, one alternate class for everyone. So I can play warrior Jamke and Pirate Briggid (or maybe Swordmaster Briggid would make more sense, but I don:t like that particular plot point).

*Give us Valkyrie in chapter 9 (in the possession of Corpre regardless as to who can use it, since he canonically goes on a holy mission just prior to the game) instead of via magical inheritance.

*Give us Forseti in chapter 10 instead of via magical inheritance (Lewyin giving it to his son (or daughter thanks to reclassing) during that convo he has with them half way through Chapter 10 anyway).

*As I:ve made a thread about, I want the sacralidge of an avatar whom you can choose a minor holy blood of or eugenics shenanigans.

**In this vein, if you breed someone to use them, have Valflame, Swanchika and Mjolnir be droppable.

*Memory prisms so we can see more of the court intrigue that Sigurd is missing out on.

*A generation zero where Byron is your lord, detailing the craziness thats going down in Isaach during Gen 1.

* Some kind of post game mode where you play on all the maps of the game put together (plus the missing sections of Jugdral) with all the major characters from the game occupying their own castles and fighting each other in an Age of Empires style all out brawl that takes hours to finish. Yes, in practice this would probably suck, but damnit all if I still don:t want it.

*Keep the whole pawn shop trading, but let lovers trade like in standard games (and of course control how much money you can donate).

*Definitely introduce rescue as a command to let non mounted units have more of a chance to engage in combat (though you:d have to stop your pegasus knight going to help out Leif in Chapter 7 to avoid being able to just ferry Leif to the throne and ending the chapter then and there). I:d even consider Fates style pair up, as enemis in this game already put themselves in formations and the dual attack system would make them more threatening. Though I fear Pair up would relegate units like Noish and Alec into nothing more than donkeys for stronger infantry units, so Rescue would probably be better.

*Battalions were originally planned for this game and would just make sense. Though I do fear what they:d do to balance, as so many enemies in this game attack you in squadrons that could just be no selled with a Gambit. Then again, super long maps means Gambits become a super scarce resource you:d have to consider (for that reason I:d probably want to buff them all to 100% accuracy because missing with them is annoying enough in Three Houses even with the Divine Pulse, missing with them in a chapter as long as Genealogy would just suck).

*I:m happy with set weapon ranks, but I wouldn:t mind if there were one or two arm scrolls in the game that would be a very valuable resource to buff certain characters.

*Make Arione:s motives more clear. Because right now hes a mess of a character. There some compelling in there Im sure, but story doesnt seem to have any idea what that is in its current form.

1. The Mystletainn vs. Earth Sword is a very interesting idea. They could even write a scene about how Eldigan gives Lachesis his sword and instructs her to give it to his son when he's ready to use it. They would have to explain why she didn't take it when she went to the desert though.

2. I believe Julius saves Arion because he's currently the only person who can wield Gungnir, and I think saving a Major Holy Blooded Individual is worth the effort as they're a huge boon for your army. They really should explain Julius' character more and give him more screentime. He's talked about as an enigmatic figure capable of extraordinary things (and we do see it by him warping all over Jugdral without using a stave), BUT we don't see him plan or discuss strategy or his goals. He just acts like a psychopath on screen, and we don't see how cunning he is or how dangerous his mind can really be.

3. I'm all for reclassing or having a New Game+ mode where everyone is in an alternate class OR in a random class with random growths and stats. Lene deserves to wield the Valkyrie Staff too since she's the eldest and the outlier of the Holy Blood theories.

4. Having set times for holy weapons is an interesting thought. Hmmmm... part of the beauty of inheritance is getting every weapon, regardless if it's a holy weapon or not, gets passed down.

5. There's so much room for memory prisms. Gen 2 memory prisms can show us what happened to the characters that disappeared after the BBQ (Azelle, Lachesis, Silvia, Ayra - show Lewyn's transformation, hint at the prologue of Thracia 776. There's a lot of material to work with.)

6. I like the idea of Generation 0. I would also like to see Sigurd in his teenage days at the academy and see him swear his oath with Eldigan and Quan. Aideen and Arvis should also be at the academy at this time so I would like to see how Aideen is as the "popular" girl and Arvis as Sigurd's main rival. Would Claud attend the academy? They could also show the younger class of Ethlyn, Taillte, Azelle, Lex, and Andorrey as well. A lot of material to work with. Similarly, they could also do a scenario where Ares unites the war torn Agustria, with the help of Dermott and any lovers they may have. Tristan and Jeanne may also make an appearance regardless if Lachesis had kids.

7. I kind of like your Total War idea. Could be fun and painfully long, but I would play it. Especially if the enemy AI fights the other enemy AI - I'm in the minority but sometimes it's fun to see the AI fight each other.

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well one way to solve that would be to make the exp the thief gains be based on how much money they're donating. So like passing 100 gold will only give 10exp, so doing it over 10 turns would be just as effective as doing it over one turn in the exp department. Although you'd still need to find someway of getting around the Thief's lover returning gold back to the thief and then just auto levelling to 30...but wait is that an issue already in the game? Can you level up your thief to max just by having them pass gold back and forth with their lover? Well a solution there might be to give the exp a graded curve so it eventually just stops granting exp completely  when you get into the 20s.

Yeah you can level up your thief with that method, but tbh it's a pain in the neck to do. Their lover probably has stuff to do, like fighting, healing, or dancing so they'd be too busy with that to do this consistently. Plus, your thief only gets 10 exp from this. You're better off boss abusing (Dew in Chapter 1) or rescuing villagers (There's 6 in Gen 1 and 17? in Gen 2. They can manage to get three levels on their own.) I don't think it's necessary, and tbh it's faster and more efficient just to run Patty through the arena and sleep sword abuse. Once they promote to Thief Fighter, Dew and Patty will be able to run through the arena pretty well if you give them a Silver Sword to swing around. Daisy will always be crap though. If you seen MageKnight404's let's replay of FE4, Daisy promoted might have only 7-8 STR and 4 of those points came from promoting. It's sad.

5 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

2. I believe Julius saves Arion because he's currently the only person who can wield Gungnir, and I think saving a Major Holy Blooded Individual is worth the effort as they're a huge boon for your army. They really should explain Julius' character more and give him more screentime. He's talked about as an enigmatic figure capable of extraordinary things (and we do see it by him warping all over Jugdral without using a stave), BUT we don't see him plan or discuss strategy or his goals. He just acts like a psychopath on screen, and we don't see how cunning he is or how dangerous his mind can really be.

Thing there is that he doesn't show the same courtesy to Brian or Faval should you kill them. Or even his own father for that matter (though Alvis might not have exactly been with them at that point). The game just arbitrarily has him warp in and save one person other than his girlfriend just because they wanted more from Arione's arc, not because there's anything we see from Julius that gives them a connection. Julius's ability to warp where ever he wants coupled with complete invincibility is plot breaking enough as it is, better to hold back on it  more and leave his whims relegated only to his arm candy. Either that or give him a polyamours romance with Arione. Besides having it so Arione can die in Chapter 9 and an alternative way to keep him alive (that is already present in the game) leads to more interesting story gameplay integration. As capturing the castle without killing him suddenly turns from just some random way of finishing the map, to something with a later in game reward (though his evade is so high it's usually the easiest way to deal with him anyway), which can be contrasted to killing him wherein you get his prayer ring instead.

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

Thing there is that he doesn't show the same courtesy to Brian or Faval should you kill them. Or even his own father for that matter (though Alvis might not have exactly been with them at that point). The game just arbitrarily has him warp in and save one person other than his girlfriend just because they wanted more from Arione's arc, not because there's anything we see from Julius that gives them a connection. Julius's ability to warp where ever he wants coupled with complete invincibility is plot breaking enough as it is, better to hold back on it  more and leave his whims relegated only to his arm candy. Either that or give him a polyamours romance with Arione. Besides having it so Arione can die in Chapter 9 and an alternative way to keep him alive (that is already present in the game) leads to more interesting story gameplay integration. As capturing the castle without killing him suddenly turns from just some random way of finishing the map, to something with a later in game reward (though his evade is so high it's usually the easiest way to deal with him anyway), which can be contrasted to killing him wherein you get his prayer ring instead.

Yeah you got me there. I tried thinking at least Brian and Faval aren't the last descendants of their respective bloodlines, so there is a chance that someone with Major can come in the future through Holy Blood eugenics shenanigans (a practice not unknown in Jugdral), but then I realized I emphasized Major Holy Blooded Individual. I can think of gameplay reasons why we wouldn't save them, because Brian is fought in the last chapter and you're meant to recruit Faval. But gameplay reasons don't always translate to character reasoning, and Julius is a mess of a character.

Tbh, I really like your idea with Arione. Makes much more sense in the grand scheme of things.

14 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Yeah you got me there. I tried thinking at least Brian and Faval aren't the last descendants of their respective bloodlines, so there is a chance that someone with Major can come in the future through Holy Blood eugenics shenanigans (a practice not unknown in Jugdral), but then I realized I emphasized Major Holy Blooded Individual. I can think of gameplay reasons why we wouldn't save them, because Brian is fought in the last chapter and you're meant to recruit Faval. But gameplay reasons don't always translate to character reasoning, and Julius is a mess of a character.

Tbh, I really like your idea with Arione. Makes much more sense in the grand scheme of things.

Thracia was independent from the empire, so saving him was a power play to get them on his side

7 hours ago, darkblade2814 said:

Thracia was independent from the empire, so saving him was a power play to get them on his side

Thracia has also been completely conquered by Leif and Seliph at that point though.

12 hours ago, darkblade2814 said:

See below.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Thracia has also been completely conquered by Leif and Seliph at that point though.

I have to agree with Jotari here. A nation is only useful if they haven't been taken over by the enemy. When Julius rescues him, it's towards the end of the chapter, when you've already got all but one castle. The set of villages up north is believed to be Tahra IIRC, and they were already rebelling against the empire. The north was also under the control of the rebels.

It would make more sense if Arione was a prince of Miletos or something and they needed him alive in order to have the Miletos district comply with the empire because the rebel army was heading there next and they don't want them just to waltz through.

Or if they put in a memory cog and show that Julius and Arione were childhood friends or something. Julius is a psycho, but he can at least form some level of relationships, as seen with Ishtar. If Arione and Julius, were childhood friends, at least can say the small ounce of humanity in him wanted to save his friend. Not the first time the series would use the power of friendship anyways.

this remake would need a dozen memory prisms to explain julius alone. one offhand comment about how he was a nice kid until manfroy brought in the loptyr tome and the fact he cares for ishtar is all that makes him more than an empty vessel. he doesn't even get the luxury of being himself in his death quote, it's all loptyr all the time. a remake should seriously work on the angle of him being a victim of circumstance, maybe even give him some lyon-esque moments of escaping loptyr's control (which could be used to explain the arione warp thing, friends or not). of course, the beauty of lyon was that he seeked the power of the demon king by himself and julius can't compare to that, but it's something.

unlike echoes though, genealogy doesn't need new characters to flesh out what needs to be fleshed out. TOO MANY PEOPLE. at most bring in some relevant people from thracia like brigid/eyvel or saias.

3 hours ago, Axie said:

this remake would need a dozen memory prisms to explain julius alone. one offhand comment about how he was a nice kid until manfroy brought in the loptyr tome and the fact he cares for ishtar is all that makes him more than an empty vessel. he doesn't even get the luxury of being himself in his death quote, it's all loptyr all the time. a remake should seriously work on the angle of him being a victim of circumstance, maybe even give him some lyon-esque moments of escaping loptyr's control (which could be used to explain the arione warp thing, friends or not). of course, the beauty of lyon was that he seeked the power of the demon king by himself and julius can't compare to that, but it's something.

unlike echoes though, genealogy doesn't need new characters to flesh out what needs to be fleshed out. TOO MANY PEOPLE. at most bring in some relevant people from thracia like brigid/eyvel or saias.

One aspect of Julius I'd like to know (or maybe I'm happy not knowing, not sure), is if his attraction to Ishtar is part of OG Julius shining through and making Loptyr capable of love, or if it is all Loptyr's will, driven to find a mate to reproduce with and continue his existence.

It's really hard to make changes to Genealogy without making it "less Genealogy" but I'll give it a shot.

- Balance between weapon/magic types please. Axes and fire magic are so bad it's ridiculous.

- More map objectives that diverge from the main route, to give the footies something to do. Most maps in fe4 have you just going in a straight line and that's NOT good.

- Actual supports, and some way to gauge love points between characters.

- Make the gen 2 characters a little more distinct from their parents or substitutes.

- More than 2 portraits for generic bosses. How many Zanes does this game have again?

- DO NOT change Pursuit, Critical, or have an Avatar character.

- Uh... Playable Saias? Playable Saias.

Other than modest rebalancing a remake should be faithful to the original. They could add in content that was supposed to be in FE4 that was chopped out (mixed gen 1 and gen 2 teams, I believe, or at least some still-living parents in gen 2 other than Lewin). Or a "dream team" postgame campaign or something where you just pick what you like out of gen 1, gen 2 and the replacements, whatever works. SoV without the endgame is very close to the NES game other than adding Faye and more "town stuff".

- Make certain events less luck-based (particularly Ayra's recruitment and Lachesis talking to her brother, both of which can require reloads far too often until you get good RNG)

- Make certain characters better (Adan, Deu, Diadora and Azel are all pretty terrible, Lester and Diarmud are often bad, lategame Fynn is kind of bad due to being lance-locked, having gen 1 stats and the pegasus being a better candidate for the hero lance).

- Remove the arena grind, find another way for characters to get money. On that note rework the money system, since it very heavily rewards top tier characters while leaving the bad characters behind, since almost every good item is an enemy drop, and the good characters like Sigurd quickly hit the 50k cap.

- Maybe just add more spells instead of nerfing wind and buffing fire, since at the end of the day, it's really only Azel that sucks because of being stuck with fire. Lex is top tier due to elite and the hero axe, and Johan/Johavier will have Lex's Hero Axe soon after recruitment. They could slightly buff lances, I suppose. And buff the weaker classes like social knight (though its more like Noish and Alec are on the weak side as your two paladins in gen 2 are both perfectly find).

- Add a "move all" command or a way to macro-move your army.

- I don't see a need for an avatar. SoV didn't have one. They could add a couple new characters if they really wanted to but I really like how you have full deployment.

- I suppose it would be nice if you got the use of siege tomes. 

- I suppose it would be nice if the substitutes had a presence in a game where you don't kill off all of the women in gen 1. I generally kill off Sylvia since Charlot gets his berserk staff and it doesn't matter that Laylea's stats are kind of bad. All dancers are bad even if Sylvia marries Holin or Lex.

- Modest rebalancing is likely called for as some gen 1 characters are pretty bad without loads of babying. Also its a bit silly that any unpromoted horseman (and Adan) cannot participate in the last bit of chapter 4 due to movement restrictions.

- Have Diadora be actually good for the few chapters you actually have her.

- Let mounted characters use sword skills.

- FE loves its reclassing and I guess that might give you a way to customize your army but its not really necessary.

I’ve only beaten the first three chapters (counting the prologue (so prologue, 1, and 2)) but I’m loving the game so far.

The enemy placement definitely needs to be reworked, they could be a lot more creative (and less annoying) without every enemy being in a block with 50 others.

Next, I’d really like some way to streamline the “walking simulator”. I’ve only dealt with it in chapter 2, but it was still pretty boring. I don’t inherently mind the map sizes though, it’s only when it makes us go back, which it doesn’t have to. So I guess no backtracking the entire map?

And that’s really it so far. Phenomenal game.

I'd say the easiest way to make the backtracking be less time-consuming would be a few small changes, not one big change, but a few small changes addint up together:

1. Reworking movement-inpeding terrain;
  2. Adding roads to more areas you have to backtrack through;
  3. A few Warp and Rescue staves;

On 2/26/2021 at 9:19 PM, Murozaki said:

I'd say the easiest way to make the backtracking be less time-consuming would be a few small changes, not one big change, but a few small changes addint up together:

1. Reworking movement-inpeding terrain;
  2. Adding roads to more areas you have to backtrack through;
  3. A few Warp and Rescue staves;

Hmm. Let's see if that's actually a problem at any point in the game.

Going to have the map pictures, hope Serenes doesn't explode from the effort.

Spoiler

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/7/73/SnKP.png

Huh. That picture looks really small. Anyway, no real backtracking in the first chapter. You start in the north east with a road to the castle in the south, which you take and then head northwest. You'll probably send someone west to the villages which is also the location where Lex and Azelle join, and maybe if you're being really slow they can help with taking the castle, but then should they travel back to the fork in the road, there is a road to take them there, assuming cutting across the grassland isn't quicker.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/c/c2/SnKChapter_1.png

Okay, that's more size appropriate. Anyway, no backtracking at all in this map. It's long, it's winding, but it never expects you to go back on yourself. Well except for Adian and Dew who start in the south and need to run away, but the backtrack is hardly a back track for them any more than it is "They are now part of your army."

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/0/0b/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_2_-_Disturbance_in_Augustria.png

So this is the big famous back tracking chapter. But aside from a little patch with the western castle, there is a road. I guess we could connect those two disperate roads. Would maybe help taking that castle a turn earlier, how quickly you can take that particular caste determines wether or not you can snag the very valued Bargain Ring.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/2/29/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_3_-_Lion_King_Eltshan.png

Not as famous for backtracking as Chapter 2, but you will find yourself doing some of it here at least after taking Chagall's castle. There is a road however.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/2/29/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_4_-_Dance_in_the_Skies.png

This is another chapter with major backtracking for the northmost castle, but there is a road. It vanishes a little bit to have a forest which serves as an obstacle. I guess we could burn that forest down once the castle is seized.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/8/85/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_5_-_Doors_of_Destiny.png

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/8/85/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_5_-_Doors_of_Destiny.png

Chapter Five doesn't require any backtracking beyond saving that village due west of the starting area, which comes with a road. Though depending on your playstyle you might rush out to save Byron and then retreat to your home castle making the trip over to Langbolt technically backtracking for Sigurd alone.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/3/36/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_6_-_Light_Inheritors.png

Light Inheritors, small bit of backtracking from taking the castle at the centre of the map, but there's a road.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/5/57/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_7_-_Passing_the_Desert.png

The major bit of backtracking here is going to be for Seliph once you take Darna in the north. Though the game is kind enough to make a path appear below the castle to you don't have to take the winding mountain road. Should it magically spawn a road in addition? Eh, I'm not so sure. You likely have the rest of your army ready to go to the next castle by now and discouraging you from having Seliph do everything seems like a better choice for Gen 2.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/5/5d/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_8_-_Dragon_Knights_of_Thracia.png

No back tracking. Unless you're really going out of your way to get those secret Jake conversations.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/c/cf/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_9_-_For_Whose_Sake.png

Only back tracking here is going up to that collection of northern villages (that is probably Tahra), but there's a road to help you.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/f/f1/FE4Chapter_10_-_Light_and_Dark.png

Bit of back tracking for the south western castle, but there's a road. You might also need to do a bit of back tracking after getting Tyrfing, but there's a bit of a road there and it's quite minor.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/2/2f/FE4Final_-_The_Last_Holy_War.png

Both of the eastern castles will require backtracking, and both of them have roads. The villages in the woods there might have some backtracking too if you choose to visit them without your flier, but it's not like they are critical resources at this point in the game, and I'm not sure a road would help that section of the map.

So yeah, I don't think there are all that many sections of the game where you're expected to do any major backtracking wherein they don't already provide a road for you. The closest would be in Chapter 7 where Seliph is momentarily stuck in the desert. What the game (and all games in the series imo) could do with is the Jugdral style orders where you can target a point on the map and have all units move towards it. That would help mass travel a good deal.

On 2/28/2021 at 8:46 AM, Jotari said:

Hmm. Let's see if that's actually a problem at any point in the game.

Going to have the map pictures, hope Serenes doesn't explode from the effort.

Hide contents

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/7/73/SnKP.png

Huh. That picture looks really small. Anyway, no real backtracking in the first chapter. You start in the north east with a road to the castle in the south, which you take and then head northwest. You'll probably send someone west to the villages which is also the location where Lex and Azelle join, and maybe if you're being really slow they can help with taking the castle, but then should they travel back to the fork in the road, there is a road to take them there, assuming cutting across the grassland isn't quicker.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/c/c2/SnKChapter_1.png

Okay, that's more size appropriate. Anyway, no backtracking at all in this map. It's long, it's winding, but it never expects you to go back on yourself. Well except for Adian and Dew who start in the south and need to run away, but the backtrack is hardly a back track for them any more than it is "They are now part of your army."

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/0/0b/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_2_-_Disturbance_in_Augustria.png

So this is the big famous back tracking chapter. But aside from a little patch with the western castle, there is a road. I guess we could connect those two disperate roads. Would maybe help taking that castle a turn earlier, how quickly you can take that particular caste determines wether or not you can snag the very valued Bargain Ring.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/2/29/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_3_-_Lion_King_Eltshan.png

Not as famous for backtracking as Chapter 2, but you will find yourself doing some of it here at least after taking Chagall's castle. There is a road however.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/2/29/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_4_-_Dance_in_the_Skies.png

This is another chapter with major backtracking for the northmost castle, but there is a road. It vanishes a little bit to have a forest which serves as an obstacle. I guess we could burn that forest down once the castle is seized.

Chapter Five doesn't require any backtracking beyond saving that village due west of the starting area, which comes with a road. Though depending on your playstyle you might rush out to save Byron and then retreat to your home castle making the trip over to Langbolt technically backtracking for Sigurd alone.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/3/36/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_6_-_Light_Inheritors.png

Light Inheritors, small bit of backtracking from taking the castle at the centre of the map, but there's a road.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/5/57/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_7_-_Passing_the_Desert.png

The major bit of backtracking here is going to be for Seliph once you take Darna in the north. Though the game is kind enough to make a path appear below the castle to you don't have to take the winding mountain road. Should it magically spawn a road in addition? Eh, I'm not so sure. You likely have the rest of your army ready to go to the next castle by now and discouraging you from having Seliph do everything seems like a better choice for Gen 2.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/5/5d/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_8_-_Dragon_Knights_of_Thracia.png

No back tracking. Unless you're really going out of your way to get those secret Jake conversations.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/c/cf/%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_9_-_For_Whose_Sake.png

Only back tracking here is going up to that collection of northern villages (that is probably Tahra), but there's a road to help you.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/f/f1/FE4Chapter_10_-_Light_and_Dark.png

Bit of back tracking for the south western castle, but there's a road. You might also need to do a bit of back tracking after getting Tyrfing, but there's a bit of a road there and it's quite minor.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/2/2f/FE4Final_-_The_Last_Holy_War.png

Both of the eastern castles will require backtracking, and both of them have roads. The villages in the woods there might have some backtracking too if you choose to visit them without your flier, but it's not like they are critical resources at this point in the game, and I'm not sure a road would help that section of the map.

So yeah, I don't think there are all that many sections of the game where you're expected to do any major backtracking wherein they don't already provide a road for you. The closest would be in Chapter 7 where Seliph is momentarily stuck in the desert. What the game (and all games in the series imo) could do with is the Jugdral style orders where you can target a point on the map and have all units move towards it. That would help mass travel a good deal.

https://serenesforest.net/genealogy-of-the-holy-war/miscellaneous/chapter-maps/

You can use these maps, they are better quality.

On 2/9/2021 at 9:32 PM, Dandy Druid said:

6. I like the idea of Generation 0. I would also like to see Sigurd in his teenage days at the academy and see him swear his oath with Eldigan and Quan. Aideen and Arvis should also be at the academy at this time so I would like to see how Aideen is as the "popular" girl and Arvis as Sigurd's main rival. Would Claud attend the academy? They could also show the younger class of Ethlyn, Taillte, Azelle, Lex, and Andorrey as well. A lot of material to work with.

I think that'd be a pretty cool demo to release, and then package it with DLC later so those who didn't get the demo don't miss out on anything. The downside to this is that unless the maps are formatted like how the rest of the game is formatted, the demo would give people false expectations...hmm...

I've always found the inheritance system lackluster. Some fathers are really fun and interesting, like Tailtiu with Lewyn or Lex. Others... not so much. There's very little incentive to marry Finn, for example, to anybody, since there isn't a single lance knight in his entire list of potential children. Personally, and I don't know how popular this is, I'd like to see the Three Houses way of allowing weapon usage outside of a chosen class make a return, in a much more restricted way. I think it's be cool if fathers could pass on their weapon ranks to their kid, even if their class restricted use of that weapon. It'd open a lot more customization options, and cool new combos. Imagine if Lana could use bows if her dad was Midir or Jamke. Imagine Azel being able to pass on magic usage to characters who don't use magic at all, like Lester or Scathach. Imagine Finn actually passing on a weapon. This is of course a balance nightmare, and will never actually happen, but that's how I'd buff unpopular father choices.

3 hours ago, Lowgee said:

I've always found the inheritance system lackluster. Some fathers are really fun and interesting, like Tailtiu with Lewyn or Lex. Others... not so much. There's very little incentive to marry Finn, for example, to anybody, since there isn't a single lance knight in his entire list of potential children. Personally, and I don't know how popular this is, I'd like to see the Three Houses way of allowing weapon usage outside of a chosen class make a return, in a much more restricted way. I think it's be cool if fathers could pass on their weapon ranks to their kid, even if their class restricted use of that weapon. It'd open a lot more customization options, and cool new combos. Imagine if Lana could use bows if her dad was Midir or Jamke. Imagine Azel being able to pass on magic usage to characters who don't use magic at all, like Lester or Scathach. Imagine Finn actually passing on a weapon. This is of course a balance nightmare, and will never actually happen, but that's how I'd buff unpopular father choices.

Could achieve much the same effect with reclassing, which seems much more likely.

23 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I think that'd be a pretty cool demo to release, and then package it with DLC later so those who didn't get the demo don't miss out on anything. The downside to this is that unless the maps are formatted like how the rest of the game is formatted, the demo would give people false expectations...hmm...

They could do something as simple as state that real war situations would be on a much larger scale in bold text or they could make a pre-prologue map that is the size of the prologue map, but have it just be the academy within Belhalla. Then they zoom out afterwards and do the little world briefing that FE4 starts with. It just needs to be a chapter that explains the mechanics of the game. 

10 hours ago, Lowgee said:

I would argue that Finn is one of the best fathers for Edain's kids, Ayra's kids, and Lachesis' kids. For Lester, he gives him good offensive stats and Pursuit and explanation on why he has blue hair. Meanwhile he has a chapter 7 convo with Lana that boosts her magic up by 5 points. Ayra's kids get Pursuit and Miracle, making them very very very hard to kill. And Diarmuid likes Pursuit and Nanna likes the 5 points of speed.

As for your Azel comment- Lester would be a lot more useful if the Shining Bow was in this game. He could be really good with either Claud or Azel as a father if the Shining Bow was a thing. For Scathach, he could use magic swords somewhat. He won't be as good of a magic sword user as someone like Diarmuid or Patty from my experience, but it's something. But Ayra's kids literally work with anyone as their father. Try Dew, Naoise, Jamke, and Beowulf with Ayra; it creates some fun builds for her kids. The only mother who doesn't have many viable pairings is Taillte, who only has 4 decent pairings.

17 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

would argue that Finn is one of the best fathers for Edain's kids, Ayra's kids, and Lachesis' kids. For Lester, he gives him good offensive stats and Pursuit and explanation on why he has blue hair. Meanwhile he has a chapter 7 convo with Lana that boosts her magic up by 5 points. Ayra's kids get Pursuit and Miracle, making them very very very hard to kill. And Diarmuid likes Pursuit and Nanna likes the 5 points of speed.

Ayra's kids always have Pursuit, though. Miracle is nice, although Larcei has the option of the Miracle Sword. No Sword inheritance on Skasahar sucks though.

One pairing I'd like to try for is Finn x Tailte. Miracle and Wrath sounds like an exceptionally strong combination. And the kids want Pursuit. Unfortunately, the window to hook them up is quite narrow.

18 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

As for your Azel comment- Lester would be a lot more useful if the Shining Bow was in this game. He could be really good with either Claud or Azel as a father if the Shining Bow was a thing. For Scathach, he could use magic swords somewhat. He won't be as good of a magic sword user as someone like Diarmuid or Patty from my experience, but it's something. But Ayra's kids literally work with anyone as their father. Try Dew, Naoise, Jamke, and Beowulf with Ayra; it creates some fun builds for her kids. The only mother who doesn't have many viable pairings is Taillte, who only has 4 decent pairings.

Claude!Lester would still probably suck, with no way to hit more than once. Still, I'd love to see more weapons added in a remake - the Shining Bow could come along with the Longbow and Hammer.

I'm assuming the "4 decent pairings" are Lewyn, Azel, Lex, and Claude? Still think Finn would be worthwhile, if you could swing him. Ultimately, there's gonna be a rough hierarchy of pairings for each mother. That's not an inherently bad thing - sometimes it's fun to challenge yourself with sub-optimal pairings.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:17 PM, Jotari said:

Could achieve much the same effect with reclassing, which seems much more likely.

Will be curious to see if/how this happens. Every remake thus far has featured some kind of reclassing. I'm envisioning every Gen I unit having a secondary class, then the kids inheriting their mother's and father's base classes (and possibly one backup class). Could probably reclass in the Castle, like promoting.

A thing that I would do is to add some extra chapters on smaller maps that show others events of the story, like the fall of Leonster as an escape map where Finn must escape and you must stop the tracians with king Calf's army or some part of the isaachian campaign, so that the game could have some others objectives as just seize... while keeping the map that define genealogy.

Another change would be an extra event if you somehow manage to prevent the Yield massacre where you recruit Quan and a cutscene in which Ethlyn gets ambushed with Altenna as she heads back to Leonster 

3 hours ago, Guill0 said:

A thing that I would do is to add some extra chapters on smaller maps that show others events of the story, like the fall of Leonster as an escape map where Finn must escape and you must stop the tracians with king Calf's army or some part of the isaachian campaign, so that the game could have some others objectives as just seize... while keeping the map that define genealogy.

All seems like they'd make fine DLC or post game maps set on a standard Genealogy sized map.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

All seems like they'd make fine DLC or post game maps set on a standard Genealogy sized map.

That's actually one thing to consider, every single game since Awakening, remake or otherwise, has usually had some story-focused DLC with it. Awakening had Futures Past, Fates had Heirs of Fate, Echoes had Rise of the Deliverance and Three Houses had Cindered Shadows. Which does make one wonder what they would do for a Genealogy remake in specific.

8 minutes ago, Murozaki said:

That's actually one thing to consider, every single game since Awakening, remake or otherwise, has usually had some story-focused DLC with it. Awakening had Futures Past, Fates had Heirs of Fate, Echoes had Rise of the Deliverance and Three Houses had Cindered Shadows. Which does make one wonder what they would do for a Genealogy remake in specific.

I really feel the Isaach campaign deserves some exploration in particular. It could even have a catchy name of Generation 0.