OutcastsofRelix

If you had the chance to remake FE4 what would you add or want to see?

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Crazy idea for a support effect: skill borrowing. Like, if Noish and Alec have a C-support, and Noish is adjacent to Alec, then he temporarily gets the effects of Pursuit and Nihil. This range can boost to 2 for B-support, and 3 for A-support. Kind of like the "lover crits" of yore, but now with an effect that varies from partner to partner.

That would be OP and I LOVE IT. 

Bold of you to assume anyone's using Marisa, haha.

...Okay, they definitely are, not that she deserves it.

😅🤣

People can use who they want, regardless of how deserving we think they may or may not be!

Well, even further upstream, the argument was posed that "supporting everyone with everyone else will require too many conversations, so they should limit potential pairings". To which I responded "if they just change platonic lines to C/B and romantic to C/B/A, then there'll actually be fewer supports than Awakening already did". So it's an argument of practicality. I get the whole "three conversations to fall in love" is a little silly, but it's interspersed by the characters fighting/healing/dancing side-by-side. They could potentially receive more characterization through base conversations, events, crit quotes, and the like. And with how short each generation is, I see fitting in full C/B/A/S chains as a tough sell - especially if we're keeping a reasonable limit of one conversation, per pair, per chapter.

Ah gotcha. That's fair. But that does raise another question - why limit supports to one convo per pair, per chapter? Why not pull a Three Houses and have the A-Support only be unlocked after a certain time, but the C & B Supports available whenever? Like, no one can get married until after conquering Verdane or the like, but after that it's fair game? (...unless there's a secret limit to the supports in Three Houses that I didn't know about?)

1 minute ago, Use the Falchion said:

That would be OP and I LOVE IT. 

Haha, thanks. There could be some interesting exploits here - like, Lex would "cast Paragon" onto any adjacent allies with at least C-support.

...Maybe they should nerf Paragon to a 1.5x boost.

3 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

People can use who they want, regardless of how deserving we think they may or may not be!

She can be fun to use, for sure. And I really like her design. But I think it's funny how the game hypes her up, as "the Crimson Flash", even though A) her hair is Magenta, not Crimson, and B) her stats are no better than her generic enemy counterparts; her only standout is the not-Wo-Dao, which any Myrmidon/Swordmaster/Eirika can wield.

6 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Ah gotcha. That's fair. But that does raise another question - why limit supports to one convo per pair, per chapter? Why not pull a Three Houses and have the A-Support only be unlocked after a certain time, but the C & B Supports available whenever? Like, no one can get married until after conquering Verdane or the like, but after that it's fair game? (...unless there's a secret limit to the supports in Three Houses that I didn't know about?)

Some B-supports in Three Houses are time-locked. Most notably, the Professor can't reach B with Caspar or Ferdinand until post-skip, making them harder to recruit out-of-house.

Personally, I like the feeling of some passage-of-time between support conversations. Echoes kind of did this, where some A supports wouldn't be around until Act IV. That way, too, supports have the possibility of tying into the plot. If Alec-Noish B-support can't happen until chapter 2, then they could talk about the ethics of invading Agustra, for instance. There would be exceptions - Finn's overlap with most potential brides is less than 3 chapters, so if we still want him marriageable in Part I, then he'd need an accelerated support clock. Overall, though, I'd rather avoid a situation where the "optimal" strategy is... continually mash "End Turn" before Siezing in the Prologue, so everyone goes into Chapter 1 with B supports already.

2 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Echoes kind of did this, where some A supports wouldn't be around until Act IV.

Being completely honest, Echoes' supports are some of the worst in the series for me. The only things I felt they did right were the full voice acting and allowing the supports to be seen on the battlefield like older GBA titles. But I do see what you're saying. 

3 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Some B-supports in Three Houses are time-locked. Most notably, the Professor can't reach B with Caspar or Ferdinand until post-skip, making them harder to recruit out-of-house.

I forgot about those. And we can't forget Rhea either. 

5 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

That way, too, supports have the possibility of tying into the plot. If Alec-Noish B-support can't happen until chapter 2, then they could talk about the ethics of invading Agustra, for instance. There would be exceptions - Finn's overlap with most potential brides is less than 3 chapters, so if we still want him marriageable in Part I, then he'd need an accelerated support clock.

Ah gotcha. I feel that. 

5 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Overall, though, I'd rather avoid a situation where the "optimal" strategy is... continually mash "End Turn" before Siezing in the Prologue, so everyone goes into Chapter 1 with B supports already.

Oh absolutely., but I don't see the harm in that if someone wants to do that either. Would it be optimal? Probably not. But I don't think there's harm in it. Overall, I still don't think limiting them to one support per pair, per chapter is the best idea; but I can't come up with an alternative right now to speed that up outside of depending on explorable castles and stuff to do in those. Maybe a hybrid? Where for romance they can happen as soon as two characters join, but for C-B non-romance options, it takes a little more time? I'm just thinking out-loud at this point...