2021 Gaming hopes/wishes: Do we dare dream...?

Zapp Branniglenn

Last year we had a 2020 hopes/wishes thread. Head over there If you want to drink a cup of nerd tears.

Okay so 2021. Predictions are strange for this year because just about everything is in limbo with no reported release windows. So guessing that something big comes out next year is presuming a guess that the world is back to normal in just a few months.

• God of War Ragnarok has a cute wolf pup following you around just like Atreus that is eventually revealed to be Fenrir. 
  • Fire Emblem Echoes of the Holy War is announced and has ditched 3D models in favor of 2D visuals.
  • Let's try this again: Capcom's next fighter is announced. The character models are sprites.
  • Nintendo launches a new service centered on retro games that is separate from NSO on April 1st.
  • E3, EVO, Gamescom, and Tokyo Game Show are deemed safe enough to reopen as in person events.
  • Grand Theft Auto 6's first trailer takes place in a city not seen in any previous entry. But the game is also revealed to have many cities, one of which is Vice City.
  • No More Heroes 3, a game about unchecked adoration for super heroes, features the same expanded universe full of cameos of other Suda characters we saw in Travis Strikes Again. Because EUs have pretty much been synonymous with the superhero genre.
  • Halo Infinite overcomes the memes and ends up being the highest rated game of the year, outside of Breath of the Wild 2 if that happens.
  • The Uncharted Movie doesn't suck.
  • Nintendo does SOMETHING to regain some goodwill. Because at the time of writing, they've slipped past EA, Bethesda, and Konami and are fighting Activision for largest blight on the industry

And while I'm here, I'll address the hopes for last year back when the world made sense

Spoiler
  • I want crossplatform play to be the norm. Sony has been holding out for most of this generation but I want them to make good on their promises for the rest of the PS4's life and moving into the PS5. I don't think Sony has progressed at all on this front
  • I want the next Capcom fighter. Pretty much everybody was predicting SF6 to coincide with the new consoles. 
    • I want fighting games to no longer have atrocious (6-8 frames) input lag. This is an issue mostly exclusive to Japanese fighters as far as I've been hearing. They deliberately increase input lag in all modes, so that the player is less inclined to notice latency when playing online versus. That's scummy as hell and the competitive skill ceiling suffers for it. Just hire some western developers to teach you good netcode, goddamnit. I've heard conflicting reports about Tekken 7's netcode update last month, but whatever they did seems to be an improvement overall. But for the most part, the only games receiving better netcode are retro games like Smash Bros. Melee, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Guilty Gear AC+R, and King of Fighters 2002, but the only fighting game that released this year is Guilty Gear, with bad online. And Nintendo even shut down competitive events for online Melee. Overall, the "state of rollbackia" is worse now than it was a year ago, if you're just focusing on current gen games.
      • also as long as I'm here, my ideal Capcom Fighter isn't Street Fighter or a redo of Marvel Infinite. I want Capcom All-Stars. Capcom is the only company I'd point to as having a roster as compelling as Nintendo has, so I say it's time they make their own Smash Bros. No more dealing with Marvel/Disney or any other partner, just put in whatever characters they want. I think a new "Capcom versus" is sounding about as likely as SF6 now.
  • I want the next Xbox and Playstation consoles to be backwards compatible with all previous systems. Even if it's through a paid service where the games are streamed via the cloud like Playstation Now. Xbox One has already accomplished this feet at no subscription fee, so I'm hoping that will be the standard moving forward. Just pop in your old disc, and the system just starts downloading the software and runs it. Xbox Series X is backwards compatible with everything, but you need to buy the version of the console that has a disc drive which was pretty steeply priced. PS5 made no attempts at backwards compatibility beyond Playstation Now still existing. 
  • I want at least three killer games on launch day for either PS5 Or the next Xbox. But the added stipulation? They're not cross platform with PS4 and Xbox One. I think the game industry is in for a rough ride if this next gen can't distinguish itself from the last. And that's what's going to happen if the first year is just a bunch of games still available on current gen, and "definitive editions" of 2-3 year old games. Unless people consider Bugsnax a killer launch game, I can't think of anything. Demon's Souls is hype, but it's a game that already existed on PS3. The new spider-man is a ps4 game merely ported to PS5, and Xbox has absolutely nothing due to the Halo 5 delay. 
  • I hope Final Fantasy 7 Part 1 isn't a flop, and that Part 2 at least gets a release date by the end of the year. Yes to the first part, no to the second. I'm a little worried about where the Nomuraverse is taking us, but this first game made fans of the original weep with joy and that's truly special.
  • I hope Pokemon defies all sense and doesn't release a game in 2020. Yep, we must not have known about the season pass thing a year ago. And I'm happy with this result, speaking as somebody that has already exited the series. I was ready to bet money on Let's Go Togepi and Let's Go Larvitar in 2020, but it didn't happen.
  • I hope Nintendo Switch Online gets not only N64 games by the end of the year, but Game Boy games as well. Oof.
  • I want Nintendo to release a new design of Joycon that's cheaper and doesn't break down after a year holy shit. They didn't touch the general price point, but you can buy single joy cons now which is appreciated.
  • The next Metroid game. Even if Prime 4 was viable for 2020, I'd still ask for a proper Metroid sequel in its place. I replayed Metroid Fusion this year for the first time in over a decade and I was reminded why I've burned so much for a sequel. The way that game ends is just so compelling - you just know it's going to open with a prison break. Samus is now the one who gets to be hunted by the Federation. I'm so into that premise. Call it Metroid: Acquittal, or Metroid: Exoneration. Absolutely no Metroid news this year. God this hurts to read.
  • I want Konami and Bethesda to make a proper effort to redeem themselves. I can't recall a single piece of news regarding either company this year, beyond Bethesda getting bought. Fallout 76 is still a money grubbing piece of shit. And Konami hasn't announced any further releases of their back catalog.
  • I want EA to greenlight another single player game after the success of Jedi Fallen Order. It's not strictly single player, but Star Wars Squadrons is a remarkable game. It has no microtransactions, it's a revival of the cult classic tie fighter trilogy, it's one of the best VR games in an era where they hype for VR is dying out. So much good in a 40 dollar package. EA is quickly becoming "one of the good ones" when it comes to video game publishers. Because who even is good in 2020? Capcom, Microsoft, and...?

Edited by Glennstavos

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of covered by my "dream gaming year 2021 thread," but I'll play along.

Fire Emblem Warriors 2

Mainline FE remake (would be happy with any of 4, 6, 7, 8, or 9).

Guild Wars Remastered.

New Ys and Kiseki games revealed.

3rd person mode added to Cyberpunk 2077.

Gotham Knights turns out really bloody good.

Daredevil gets his own Batman Arkham style game.

I hope the DGS (The Great Ace Attorney) rumors are true.

I hope Ace Attorney 7 gets announced.

I hope the next Fire Emblem gets announced.

Will we get any news on BOTW 2 and Bayonetta 3? I hope so!

I thought there was already another thread like this up two months ago but oh well.

• Hoping Cyber Shadow is finished and released sometime next year.
  • Mario Kart 9 finally gets announced with a release date in late 2021/early 2022.
  • Pokemon's 25th anniversary is actually fun and excited. I kind of have little doubt in this one though.
  • I also hope those rumors about The Great Ace Attorney getting a official translation turns out to be true.
  • Persona 5 Royal getting ported to Steam.
  • Anything that Falcom has to announce.
  • Any of Phoenix Wright, Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden), Ragna (Blazblue), Kiryu (Yakuza) or a Falcom rep (Adol/Estelle/etc) getting added to Smash.
Edited by NSSKG151

27 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

I thought there was already another thread like this up two months ago but oh well.

The thread titles are similar. But this is a predictions thread while the other is about making up entire games without regard for feasibility beyond a rule of one game per developer or franchise.

Edited by Glennstavos

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Halo Infinite overcomes the memes and ends up being the highest rated game of the year, outside of Breath of the Wild 2 if that happens.

Basically this is it. That, and Bungie stops sunsettting armor before Witch Queen for Destiny 2. 

Spoiler

For those unfamiliar. Destiny 2 is a looter shooter but the company has been bottlenecking the loot you can get to a very small amount for the sake of "balance". 

Finally, two player online co-op announced for BOTW 2 with one player choosing Zelda and Amiibo outfits for her and Link. That and a Age of Calmity style prequel to 3H being annoucrd where we play as the Ten Elites, the Four Saints, and the Four Apostles at dofferent times in the game.

well basically my only hopes are that NISA announces Hajimari no Kiseki in english by the end of 2021, although that's probably just wishful thinking, and that Bravely Default 2 doesn't get delayed to death, i just want that game to come out

oh, one last thing, i'd like to know FFXVI's release date, so that i know when to buy a PS5

• Tellius remasters/remakes. Together in a package.
  • Wind Waker HD for Switch. I'd like to have that be playable in a portable format.
  • If not Tellius, then a new FE game of some kind, whether it's a remake of FE6 or FE4.
  • GBA/GC Switch Online libraries.
  • A new Mario Kart game.
  • BotW2 to release earlier rather than later in the year.
  • FE Warriors 2.
  • Falcom Warriors.
  • A Switch Pro to be released early in the year.
  • Rune Factory ports/remakes of older games.
  • New 2D Metroid.
Edited by twilitfalchion

Tomb Raider 2 Remake, that's actually got less human combat but is still heavy on exploration.

Some sort of successor/Remake/Sequel to Gangsters: Organized Crime, a gangster simulator (Kinda like a business sim a bit I guess) that actually discouraged combat til' the late-game and was focused more on turf and making illegal businesses and hiding them. 

A top-down style GTA game that's extremely arcade-y (So a mix of Chinatown wars with 1/2), preferably set in London again (or at least finally adding Vice City Stories to IOS.) with a focus on raking up a certain amount of points again.

A new Tom Clancy Single player game that's actually tactical in the style of old Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon. (Or them finally adding Rogue Spear to Digital store-fronts.)

Edited by Samz707

14 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Ys 9 English already announced.

Ik, but i want to delays for PC version like what happened with Ys 8, and i want it working and not a mess this time

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

A continuation of the Pokemon Coliseum series would be welcome as well. I loved XD and the first one was pretty good, so another would be fantastic!

Whoa, that's my pie in the sky. And the company that made those games are still around making spinoffs. Shadow Pokmeon also made a recent appearance in Pokemon GO. These are the kinds of dreams I don't usually get teased by, but if Pokemon Snap can get a sequel...

15 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Whoa, that's my pie in the sky. And the company that made those games are still around making spinoffs. Shadow Pokmeon also made a recent appearance in Pokemon GO. These are the kinds of dreams I don't usually get teased by, but if Pokemon Snap can get a sequel...

I thought the unique take on catching pokemon mid trainer battle to utilise strategy as well for catching was neat. And XD adding alot of shadow attacks made it more interesting, along with them expecting you to make two snags per battle on average.

21 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Mega Man Does His Taxes 2021!

Mega Man

Gritty Mega Man

Gritty Mega Man with a Sword

Cosplay Mega Man

Internet Mega Man

Radio Mega Man

Fully Charged Mega Man

Pachislot Mega Man

Now get ready for the hero we've all been waiting for-

Tax Accountant Mega Man

7 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

This doesn't have the 'one per publisher' rule, which I found very limiting and unfair.

According to the Capcom leak, Ace Attorney 7 will be released in Q3 of 2021, and the Dai Gyakuten Saiban (The Great Ace Attorney) will also be released somewhen in 2021.

19 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

This doesn't have the 'one per publisher' rule, which I found very limiting and unfair.

According to the Capcom leak, Ace Attorney 7 will be released in Q3 of 2021, and the Dai Gyakuten Saiban (The Great Ace Attorney) will also be released somewhen in 2021.

Actually it was one per developer. A publisher is likely to publish multiple/many titles a year, but rare is the developer who is large enough to do multiple (quality) games in a year.