2021 Gaming hopes/wishes: Do we dare dream...?

Zapp Branniglenn

7 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Also hoping for a remake of the Oracle Zeldas in a fashion similar to LA.

I'd approve of this, though I wouldn't likely buy it. I've experienced those games enough that I wouldn't need to do it again, the same as LA. What would really make me happy, is if they chose for a smaller project to give Farore her own game after all these years.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An expanded Oracle trilogy could be a good way to sell the remake. Not only do you get remakes with HD graphics, animated cutscenes, even more Magic Rings, and a dungeon builder, but also a new region starring Farore as the Oracle, with a new villain to compliment Onox and Veran. Of course, I could see Farore being the new Dungeon Designer mascot, but it'd be neat to see Dampe return in that capacity.

This makes me wonder: Would they revisit the old idea of colors as the third theme? Would Farore become the Oracle of Colors since Nayru has been established as the Oracle of Ages? Or could we see a new theme, such as weather or times of day?

Edited by Lord_Brand

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Xenoblade Chronicles' UI doesnt have as much to look at either.

what do you mean?

im specifically using xenoblade definitive edition versus the OG Xenoblade as an example here because the OG was considered bad too, while the remaster still keep the same amount information with better scale, using different color for different UI bar, etc etc. so overall result is clearer while being the same game, even if you meant xcx have other things to show in the UI (hence the reason for more cluttered UI), they still should do something similar.

44 minutes ago, joevar said:

what do you mean?

im specifically using xenoblade definitive edition versus the OG Xenoblade as an example here because the OG was considered bad too, while the remaster still keep the same amount information with better scale, using different color for different UI bar, etc etc. so overall result is clearer while being the same game, even if you meant xcx have other things to show in the UI (hence the reason for more cluttered UI), they still should do something similar.

What I mean is there isn't a whole lot on screen you need to worry about, is all. Xenoblade X has location/height, morale, etc. What weapon you currently have equipped, all smushed on that screen.

Yeah they could clean it up for sure.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd approve of this, though I wouldn't likely buy it. I've experienced those games enough that I wouldn't need to do it again, the same as LA. What would really make me happy, is if they chose for a smaller project to give Farore her own game after all these years.

Ah, yes. The Oracle of School Semesters. A game where Link must juggle schoolwork, varisty lacrosse, maintaining relationships with friends, and uncovering the dark secret behind the school's headmaster.

9 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

This makes me wonder: Would they revisit the old idea of colors as the third theme? Would Farore become the Oracle of Colors since Nayru has been established as the Oracle of Ages? Or could we see a new theme, such as weather or times of day?

Being the Oracle fan I am, I'll take anything, scrapped or new! Although, too many ideas at once would be bad, colors and times of day sounds like it could end up as a mess where no aspect is fully fleshed out.

I'd go with times of day,  think its potentially more nuanced. Sure it overlaps with Oracle of Ages somewhat, but not exactly. You could see morning, day, evening, and night as a thematic intermediary between Seasons and Ages. It is the passage of time, like Ages, but, this is a slower movement of time, during which nature fundamentally changes. A desert in the day is very hot, a desert at night is very cold, it is in a sense two different "seasons" that happen on a daily basis. However, it's worth noting Veran already froze the time of day in Ages to build the Black Tower over the duration of one supremely long day.

Colors can have gameplay complexity, I think there are some modern games that play with color as an essential gameplay aspect. But, it doesn't feel as coherent with seasons & ages. I'd want to ponder why Mystical Seed of Wisdom was considering color too. Was it because the games were to be released on the Game Boy Color? Would it be as special now? Certain Oracle of Ages puzzles come to mind as already using the color aspect, to what some would say are questionable results. I will say though I love how whimsically vibrant Oracle of Seasons was, for the limits of the GBC, it was beautiful, and I'd want any Oracle remakes/third game to capture this anew somehow.

And again, a new core concept would be wholly agreeable with me too. I'm no good with coming up with ideas, so Nintendo would have surprise me after surprising me with the miracle that'd be Oo3.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Ah, yes. The Oracle of School Semesters. A game where Link must juggle schoolwork, varisty lacrosse, maintaining relationships with friends, and uncovering the dark secret behind the school's headmaster.

Funny. But in your scenario, Hylia is potentially evil and Ladydorf is potentially dateable by Link. That is actually worth a chuckle.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Colors can have gameplay complexity, I think there are some modern games that play with color as an essential gameplay aspect. But, it doesn't feel as coherent with seasons & ages. I'd want to ponder why Mystical Seed of Wisdom was considering color too. Was it because the games were to be released on the Game Boy Color? Would it be as special now? Certain Oracle of Ages puzzles come to mind as already using the color aspect, to what some would say are questionable results. I will say though I love how whimsically vibrant Oracle of Seasons was, for the limits of the GBC, it was beautiful, and I'd want any Oracle remakes/third game to capture this anew somehow.

Back when the Oracles were remakes of the first two games plus a new third title, they were going to be themed on Time, Seasons, and Colors. Nayru was going to be a painter and the Oracle of Colors, while Farore was going to be the Oracle of Time. When they determined that a trilogy was too complex for the linking system, they combined Time and Colors together, making Nayru the Oracle of Ages and adding in color-based puzzles. Incidentally, this is also why Oracle of Seasons bears considerable resemblance to the original LOZ; it was going to be a remake of that game, thus six of the bosses are returning creatures from that game: Aquamentus, Dodongo, Manhandla, Gohma, Digdogger, and Gleeok. Incidentally, Eyesoar's Japanese name is Patara, or Patra, the name of a similar flying eyeball monster in TLOZ, which suggests the two are in fact the same kind of creature, making that a throwback boss as well.

Edited by Lord_Brand

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

Back when the Oracles were remakes of the first two games plus a new third title, they were going to be themed on Time, Seasons, and Colors. Nayru was going to be a painter and the Oracle of Colors, while Farore was going to be the Oracle of Time. When they determined that a trilogy was too complex for the linking system, they combined Time and Colors together, making Nayru the Oracle of Ages and adding in color-based puzzles. Incidentally, this is also why Oracle of Seasons bears considerable resemblance to the original LOZ; it was going to be a remake of that game, thus six of the bosses are returning creatures from that game: Aquamentus, Dodongo, Manhandla, Gohma, Digdogger, and Gleeok. Incidentally, Eyesoar's Japanese name is Patara, or Patra, the name of a similar flying eyeball monster in TLOZ, which suggests the two are in fact the same kind of creature, making that a throwback boss as well.

I was aware of this. I know Nayru once had a paintbrush and that Farore might have been a singer. I know the reason why Seasons has the tougher bosses and Ages the tougher puzzles is because they used to be Mystical Seed of Power and Mystical Seed of Wisdom respectively.  I was merely contemplating whether keeping colors as the core concept (because time travel is ultimately more important for Ages) for a hypothetical third Oracle game was still worth it.

If Power was focused on combat and Wisdom puzzles, then what would Courage have focused on, I wonder? Exploration, I suppose? Yeah, that sounds right. Exploration, combat, and puzzles are pretty much the core trinity of gameplay in the Zelda series. You explore the overworld and dungeons, battle monsters, and solve puzzles to progress and/or find treasures. So, how would they have worked exploration into Courage's dungeons? Maybe more bombable walls, digging in the ground, running into objects, swimming, climbing, etc.?

In that case, weather effects definitely could lend themselves well to exploration, giving you the ability to, say, freeze a lake or blow away leaves. Since the harp of Ages had three Tunes and the Rod of Seasons had four Seasons, perhaps this third installment would have either two or five different modes to play with. Five is the more interesting number here, of course. Wind, Rain, Cold, Heat, and Lightning could be the five elements of weather we get to play around with. Wind can blow in different directions and be calmed or intensified, even conjured into whirlwinds. Rain allows you to douse fires, water plants, and flood dry river or lake beds. Cold allows you to freeze water into ice, and when combined with Rain, create snow, which in turn can be combined with Wind to create snowstorms. Heat conversely allows you to melt ice, create steam, and dry up ponds. Lightning allows you to zap and electrify objects. Presumably, the game would hand these five Weather Elements to you one at a time between dungeons, giving you time to get used to each new element. You might clear Dungeon 1 first, then gain access to Wind, then move on to Dungeon 2, then gain access to Rain, and so on. By Dungeon 6, you should have all five Weather Elements.

5 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

If Power was focused on combat and Wisdom puzzles, then what would Courage have focused on, I wonder? Exploration, I suppose? Yeah, that sounds right. Exploration, combat, and puzzles are pretty much the core trinity of gameplay in the Zelda series. You explore the overworld and dungeons, battle monsters, and solve puzzles to progress and/or find treasures. So, how would they have worked exploration into Courage's dungeons? Maybe more bombable walls, digging in the ground, running into objects, swimming, climbing, etc.?

In that case, weather effects definitely could lend themselves well to exploration, giving you the ability to, say, freeze a lake or blow away leaves. Since the harp of Ages had three Tunes and the Rod of Seasons had four Seasons, perhaps this third installment would have either two or five different modes to play with. Five is the more interesting number here, of course. Wind, Rain, Cold, Heat, and Lightning could be the five elements of weather we get to play around with. Wind can blow in different directions and be calmed or intensified, even conjured into whirlwinds. Rain allows you to douse fires, water plants, and flood dry river or lake beds. Cold allows you to freeze water into ice, and when combined with Rain, create snow, which in turn can be combined with Wind to create snowstorms. Heat conversely allows you to melt ice, create steam, and dry up ponds. Lightning allows you to zap and electrify objects. Presumably, the game would hand these five Weather Elements to you one at a time between dungeons, giving you time to get used to each new element. You might clear Dungeon 1 first, then gain access to Wind, then move on to Dungeon 2, then gain access to Rain, and so on. By Dungeon 6, you should have all five Weather Elements.

That would create... an exasperating amount of options in nearly every screen, XD. 

Not that that's a bad thing, you would just need to be careful how you would make the player utilise each option. 

Ngl, sounds pretty cool, though. Fun ideas!

2021 will be good for me if Horizon: Forbidden West releases, as well as the rumored Insomniac Spider-Man 2 game. Between those, the Mass Effect trilogy remaster, and God of War: Ragnarok (oh, and the price of a PS5...) I'll be set for the year.

But yeah, Nintendo can make a it a jam-packed year for their fans as well. All I'd really need is an FE 4 or FE 6/7 remake, and I'd be more than set. 

Atelier Ryza 2 and Persona 5 Strikers will be games I'm looking forward to although I'm not 100% sure if I will enjoy latter because it looks like hack and slash game, and I'm not a big a fan of this genre. Still will try it out, even if it's just for the Persona 5 Royal cast. Tbh it doesn't have to be more since my backlog list is still soooooooo long. Have plenty of Switch games yet to play.