Is it a good way to quickly level Wyrs early on?

James Marshall

I downloaded Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and The Blade of Light and want to know if the following is a good way to quickly level Wyrs early on?. After all even if Gomer misses Wyrs gets 40 EXP

On Chapter 2 put him with Gomer's Hand Axe Range, wait until Gomer gets a hit on Wyrs, then retreat to the nearby fortress then repeat

Edited by James Marshall

Unless you gonna use the rewind feature, that's not a good idea.

There is no stat that counteracts critical hit rate. So if Wrys is gonna tank hits from someone with more then 1 Skill, he always faces a chance of instant death.

I think dodging grants you the experience as well, so you'll want to lure an enemy to a fortress anyway. 

Leveling up healers is pretty unnecesary though. The biggest reason I could ever think of is hopefully gaining a Weapon Level point on Lena, since she's one off from wielding Barrier or Fortify at base. But you could also just use the Manual stat booster to achieve the same aim. You get just one in the whole game I think, and virtually no other units have issues with their weapon level besides the first two clerics.

Edited by Glennstavos

9 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

You get just one in the whole game I think, and virtually no other units have issues with their weapon level besides the first two clerics.

Julian and Rickard said hello. They've a base of 2, and a growth of 0, enough for Iron, Steel and Devil, but not any others. The Arms Scroll is necessary for them, and adds Wrymslayer, Armorslayer, and Killing Edge to their arsenal, although Silver and Levin remain forever out of their reach.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Julian and Rickard said hello. They've a base of 2, and a growth of 0, enough for Iron, Steel and Devil, but not any others. The Arms Scroll is necessary for them, and adds Wrymslayer, Armorslayer, and Killing Edge to their arsenal, although Silver and Levin remain forever out of their reach.

Ha, I'm entertained at the notion of using them to do anything other than lockpick. Julian may have some alarmingly high stat growths, but his bases are garbo, and the game has no shortage of 7 move swordlocked units. And some can even promote. I dunno, the thief animations are cute to watch but I can't find a compelling reason to raise him

34 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Ha, I'm entertained at the notion of using them to do anything other than lockpick. Julian may have some alarmingly high stat growths, but his bases are garbo, and the game has no shortage of 7 move swordlocked units. And some can even promote. I dunno, the thief animations are cute to watch but I can't find a compelling reason to raise him

Listen, you don't raise thieves for combat, in any game except RD (and even then you don't train Sothe or Volke, they come pre-trained and all you have to do is use them). Maybe Perne is another an exception, but in what game barring Fates's Ninjas & Outlaws or Awakening long enough to swipe Lockpick do you want to use Thieves for combat? To hit a necessary Str or Spd value for stealing, or to get a couple extra HP to surviving a Bolting, or Matthew for Hector 11, but thats about it. Julian might like training in Old Mystery to recruit Lena and not be a 100% liability for final battles, but you can buy infinite Robes and Rings right beforehand to patch up his HP & Str as needed.

What I'm saying, is that Julian and Rickard don't have a compelling reason to be trained, but, thats very par for the course for Thieves. You use them not because they're a worthwhile combat investment, they never are when Myrmidons and Mercenaries exist, you use them because subjective desire compels you to embrace the waste. 

And no, I'm not counting 3H Assassin, Assassin doesn't require you actually spend time in Thief.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Listen, you don't raise thieves for combat, in any game except RD (and even then you don't train Sothe or Volke, they come pre-trained and all you have to do is use them). Maybe Perne is another an exception, but in what game barring Fates's Ninjas & Outlaws or Awakening long enough to swipe Lockpick do you want to use Thieves for combat? To hit a necessary Str or Spd value for stealing, or to get a couple extra HP to surviving a Bolting, or Matthew for Hector 11, but thats about it. Julian might like training in Old Mystery to recruit Lena and not be a 100% liability for final battles, but you can buy infinite Robes and Rings right beforehand to patch up his HP & Str as needed.

There's an argument for raising up the Thieves in Genealogy, especially if you're going for ranks. Obviously, their main utility will be robbing and giving gold. But going Rogue, gaining Pursuit, A Swords, and more move, is no mean feat. And depending on who her daddy is, Patty's combat can actually become good.

This isn't Gaiden, levelling healers in FE1 isn't worth it, not only is having to get them to survive rounds of combat annoying, but stat boosters in FE1, 3 and 4 are insane, so if you have concerns with your healers stat wise it's easier to just put some stat boosters into them

On 12/5/2020 at 10:29 PM, Glennstavos said:

Being a glorified lockpick is so useful tho! Not every unit has to be a combat machine to be good. I've never once used theives for combat on purpose in FE1, and I still consider both julian and rickard great additions to the army.

9 minutes ago, Whitfield1999 said:

Being a glorified lockpick is so useful tho! Not every unit has to be a combat machine to be good. I've never once used theives for combat on purpose in FE1, and I still consider both julian and rickard great additions to the army.

Yeah, but when I make a tier list for FE1, Julian and Rickard are in the same spot. The fact that Julian's got great stat growths really doesn't factor in for me. And if you're looking at chapters where there are chests and doors to open, both characters have the same "availability" since neither appears until Rickard is recruitable. FE1 is also a game in which you can buy door keys and Marth has a permanent chest key that never runs out, so overall I think this was a dark time for thieves in fire emblem. Only ever getting worse in FE11 since the convoy is attached to Marth who can just pull a door key and pretend to be a prince of thieves and open everything

Edited by Glennstavos

11 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Marth has a permanent chest key that never runs out

this doesn't matter, as thieves have infinite chest utility also. Last time I checked, in FE1 lockpicks only have a use consumed for bridges or doors. Thieves without lockpicks can still open chests. Not only this but lockpicks are much more space-effective then door keys, and Marth has a lot more things to do then thieves.

Edited by Hello72207

On 12/8/2020 at 7:39 AM, Hello72207 said:

this doesn't matter, as thieves have infinite chest utility also. Last time I checked, in FE1 lockpicks only have a use consumed for bridges or doors. Thieves without lockpicks can still open chests. Not only this but lockpicks are much more space-effective then door keys, and Marth has a lot more things to do then thieves.

Exactly. Thieves save a lot of the travel time marth would have to make if you didn't field any thieves!

• 3 weeks later...