Forging Bonds: Driven by Vision!

Diovani Bressan

A new Forging Bonds event is here!

SoGqE9m.png

The stars of this Forging Bonds Event are Knoll, Natasha, Duessel and Selena, the new Heroes from the "Book V Begins: Reginn and More" banner.

In Forging Bonds, SP and Hero Merit earned in battle are doubled, so use this opportunity to train your most needed units.

I hope you enjoy the new stories featured by these Heroes!

How 3H Forging Bonds can't have as good writting as this event?

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I like how Sharena seems to be hands on with the bandit problem. Usually you'd expect Alfonse to solve things and her going ''go team!'' in the background. But this time she's the one coming to tell the Stones team about the bandits and solving it with them. 

They had to give her something to do, after she not even appearing in the Book 5 trailer.

29 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

They had to give her something to do, after she not even appearing in the Book 5 trailer.

Sharena is a good girl. She wasn't in the trailer because she selflessly kept that time free to protect the common rabble from bandits. Far different than that cold, indifferent prince Alfonse. 

8 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Sharena is a good girl. She wasn't in the trailer because she selflessly kept that time free to protect the common rabble from bandits. Far different than that cold, indifferent prince Alfonse. 

Yeah. Sharena is more responsible. She prefers to help the people of Askr instead of her brother that it's like "hey, I found this random girl in a mecha... she may be lost, so I will abandon all my responsibilities as this kingdom's prince and take her home and maybe spend some days/weeks there".

27 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Knoll.  Just.  Knoll.

Hide contents

He's being trolled left and right, and he's playing it straight.  I'm SO glad he's the freebie!

Honestly, I feel like Knoll's supports in the Forging Bonds summed up why I hated the new direction with dark mages in the newer games.

I liked units like Canas, Raigh, and Knoll, who understand the nature of dark magic and the toll it can take on its user if misused. Meanwhile, you look at the newer games and characters like Tharja, Henry, and Odin, and they're idiots who fling curses whenever they dang well want. Kind of felt like they turned the dark mage trope into a total joke.

I could have perhaps taken Nyx more seriously if Fates dark mages didn't look like strippers.

Edited by Sentinel07

13 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Honestly, I feel like Knoll's supports in the Forging Bonds summed up why I hated the new direction with dark mages in the newer games.

I liked units like Canas, Raigh, and Knoll, who understand the nature of dark magic and the toll it can take on its user if misused. Meanwhile, you look at the newer games and characters like Tharja, Henry, and Odin, and they're idiots who fling curses whenever they dang well want. Kind of felt like they turned the dark mage trope into a total joke.

I could have perhaps taken Nyx more seriously if Fates dark mages didn't look like strippers.

Tharja's reduced to a meme at this point.  However, her supports in Awakening show that she understands the consequences all too well.  Would've liked it if Henry was the counterpoint who "paid" for his dark magic with his sanity (hence his antics).  Wonder what would've happened if Knoll had a serious conversation with Tharja?

14 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

To be fair in the case of Odin though he’s not really a dark mage. He’s just a wannabe edgelord Chuunibiyo trying to act like a dark mage and it’s hilarious

14 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

I've similar thoughts. Call me a scholarly serious stick in the mud (not that Canas is incapable of being used warmly- see his supports) if one must.

30 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Would've liked it if Henry was the counterpoint who "paid" for his dark magic with his sanity (hence his antics).

Thats not a bad idea. Dark magic is capable of driving you wild, Nergal being the greatest example of this, but what if the insanity did not drive you to wanting to conquer the world or destroy it all? Henry could've been a milder case, where one failed to achieve the sublimation of the self that Bramimond has, but haven't become a crazed beast either. You lack for some common sense and socially acceptable behaviors, but not all of them.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

47 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thats not a bad idea. Dark magic is capable of driving you wild, Nergal being the greatest example of this, but what if the insanity did not drive you to wanting to conquer the world or destroy it all? Henry could've been a milder case, where one failed to achieve the sublimation of the self that Bramimond has, but haven't become a crazed beast either. You lack for some common sense and socially acceptable behaviors, but not all of them.

Or Henry's base personality being so gentle that his "insanity" is him acting weird instead of being malicious.  Perhaps dark magic amplifies who you are to an unnerving extent?  In which case. . .poor Knoll.

I enjoyed this Forging Bonds, although it's not one of the absolute best. It's especially nice seeing Knoll and Natasha. Selena's supports weren't what I expected, especially with who showed up at the end (see the spoiler), but that made me like it even more. I enjoyed Duessel interacting with all the lance users, as well.

Helbindi

This FB actually pisses me off. All of Duessel's conversations are just "lol, you fools honestly expected us to add an axe cavalry unit? He's so obviously lance cavalry #362. Look at him train literally everyone to use a lance better."

Knoll's conversations are a breath of fresh air. Makes me wish Pelleas and Hapi were in the game to talk to him.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

As a major fan of Sacred Stones, I was let down by these dialogues. If there's one thing these four characters have in common beyond hailing from the same country, it's being wracked with guilt over their actions in the war. It would have served quite the thematic throughline for the skeleton of a story that the main plot is trying to tell. Maybe lead to a conclusion that one needs all three of: faith, knowledge, and power to rescue the village. That way we adapt a bit of KnollxNatasha, which was incidentally one of the best FE8 support chains. Probably one of the best in the whole series in my imo. But instead, the story we got was the usual "we're outnumbered. Welp, guess we'll try to brute force the situation anyway. Oh, we won. Hello (insert protagonist of source material here), thank you for your praise" story that we keep seeing over and over.

The only part of the forging bonds I like was Knoll. The B conversation of the main plot has a hell of reference to DuesselxKnoll C from FE8. It got me immediately to re-read that to make sure I wasn't crazy in having heard it before. As for his own story, hanging around other dark mages wasn't all too fun, but there's a throwaway line about Prince Leo having uncovered some special magic that lets you see into the future. And if you remember what Knoll and Lyon were trying to do, I'll just say it's a pretty impressive callback. Although I don't remember anything about the Fates side of this reference. Is Leo studying precognition just something totally made up? If so, rewrite that so it's a collaborative project that the dark mages had been working on as a side project. If I wanted to make Knoll's entire story more compelling, I'd focus instead on the various motives these dark mages had to study their craft. Knoll is a self-hating loser that's well aware that he doomed the world to serve his own hubris, and maybe meeting other dark mages helps motivate him to be better. That there is room in the universe for dispassionate seeking of knowledge if it can serve the greater good. As for the other three characters I have no bright ideas on how to improve them. Selena's story has more to say about Helbindi than her for christ's sake. Duessel's is a recurring gimmick with nothing that challenges his character. Natasha's was probably inoffensive since I barely recall it.

Edited by Glennstavos