Pokemon × Fire Emblem: Would you like to see it?

Lord_Brand

I remember reading that Pokemon Conquest was originally going to be a Pokemon/Fire Emblem crossover, until they decided to swap Fire Emblem for Nobunaga's Ambition. That makes me think: What would a Pokemon/Fire Emblem Crossover be like? Would the various FE units function as Pokemon Trainers, commanding Pokemon in battle? Could Trainers gain experience alongside their Pokemon? Perhaps Trainer units have skills like those seen in the Fire Emblem series, which allows them to enhance their Pokemon in different ways?

I picture an AU where lands like Archanea or Tellius function as Pokemon regions. Instead of equipping your units with weapons, they carry Pokemon with them to do battle. Furthermore, it could be interesting to see Pokemon mixed with Fire Emblem material, like a Zamazenta that wields the Falchion, which logically is super-effective against Dragon-Types. There could be new Pokemon or regional variants of Pokemon that fill FE niches, like Flying-type Pokemon based on pegasi, or Dragon-types filling in for Wyverns. Perhaps some Trainers ride their Pokemon, giving them increased mobility Manaketes, Laguz, and the like could also be interpreted in an interesting way here. Do they transform into Pokemon themselves?

Conversely, what if the Pokemon themselves are the units, living in a world like that of Mystery Dungeon? Could they have different classes, like a Lucario Fighter or a Gallade Cavalier? Could there be Support convos between different Pokemon? Maybe even...mating (as in, becoming life partners a la marriage, not doing the naughty on-screen)? Could mated Pokemon produce Eggs which hatch into second-gen units?

The Types would obviously play a role, perhaps akin to the Weapon Triangles of FE fame. Fire> Grass > Water > Fire could work in a similar manner to Swords > Axes > Lances > Swords. Perhaps Moves replace Weapons, with PP filling in for weapon durability. Where Fire Emblem has Fire, Elfire, and Arcfire, Pokemon Emblem could have Ember, Flamethrower, and Fire Blast. Support moves could likewise function in a capacity similar to Staves. Perma-death would obviously be replaced with fainting, and Revives could be used to restore fainted units in battle.

Thoughts?

Gameplay wise, I think its definitely possible. Lot of mechanics can be seen as overlapping, like type matchups-Weapon Triangles, Character driven games, and turn based system. 

My biggest concern, however, would be the story: Fire Emblem are very serious, and often dark epics, while Pokemon games are light hearted with not meant to be too serious. I'm personally leaning towards a Revelation style story for Pokemon x Fire Emblem, a golden ending but with a lot of questionable plot points and characters to appease both audiences. 

Personally, I hate the idea. I haven't been a fan of Pokémon for a while now, and the idea of a full crossover just sounds cringy to me, like SMT and to a lesser extent Warriors.

Now if they were to make a Pokémon game with Fire Emblem style gameplay, that's something I'd play. Maybe even a Fire Emblem game with Pokémon style gameplay, though that sounds tougher to realize without cringe. 

10 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I think @Vesly is working on something like that.

https://feuniverse.us/t/pokemblem-lets-beat-brock/8875

I don't mean to hijack this thread any further, but yes you can follow the progress of pokemblem with the above link or by joining the discord

Personally I want the gameplay to feel like fire emblem, but with a sparse, comical story. If you'd like to provide suggestions or feedback for my hack specifically, you can find me with the aforementioned links. I am always open to ideas. :)

Edited by Vesly