How long did Three Houses take you?

So I'm very confused by the conflict between my friend's experience of this game and my own. He insists the game is only 40 hours long, but each of the three routes I've done has taken something more along the lines of 80 to 90 for me. And this is coming from somebody who wasn't actually enjoying himself playing the game, so I wasn't going out of my way to draw out the experience exploring every book and cranny. I've talked to him and asked what he did and didn't do throughout the game, and I just can't see any conceivable openings to be playing faster than me by a factor of more than two without deliberately speedrunning or skipping cutscenes or something.

So I wanted to ask around and see how long it took the people here to clear a single route. What does your save file say it took you?

Me, I took over 90 the first time as I was getting used to the game, then under 60 hours in CF and under 75 hours with AM and SS, keeping in mind I skipped Part 1 cutscenes in the other routes and in all but SS and my Maddening run I played approximately the same amount of paralogues in each route.

Maddening on the other hand took 110 hours and I have no excuses for that, I was skipping quite a few scenes, but that was less over time and on top of that I was putting a ton of time into it.

Speedrunning involves a ton of week skipping I know for sure.

If I recall correctly my first playthrough as about 70 hours. Since finishing every route though I can easily knock it out in I'd say about half that time by skipping conversations and abusing New Game+ goodies. My guess is he didn't read as many supports as you. And probably played Crimson Flower.

Edited by Jotari

I think I did all 4 routes in some 100 hours or so? The first route was Edelgards route and that took me ~30h.

I also didn´t bother with some of the inhouse units on Blue Lions and Golden Deer and i  remember that most late game maps were just me warp skipping stuff. Story stuff and supports I skipped and the monastery was only really used in Edelgards route. And DLC was something like... 5-10 hours I think.

There are many, many things you can do which influence the speed of the game.

• Animations: watching at default speed vs. sped up vs. skipping them.
  • Cutscenes and supports: Let them play out at full vs. read and cut the dialog off vs. skip.
  • Number of paralogues/auxiliary fights: Optional battles add a lot of time.
  • Monastery: how much do you explore it? Talk to everyone each month? How much do you micromanage things like motivation? Doing the maximum amount of fishing is also a huge timesink.
  • Instruction: auto vs. manual.
  • How fast you complete maps general: slow, turtle strategies vs. quicker strategies vs. warpskipping
  • Choice of route: it's a small factor compared to the above, but there is a 4-map swing in length by route. The longest route is about 10-15% more playtime than the shortest, as such.

For me, 50-70 is typical for a playthrough (earlier ones were towards the high end), but I don't find any number listed remotely unreasonable.

Looking at my three 3H files:

• VW (first playthrough)- 43:14
  • CF (second)- 30:46
  • AM (third)- 37:57

All of these were done under the following conditions:

• New Game.
  • Hard.
  • Classic.
  • All cutscenes skipped.
  • No supports made (except the minimum of Edelgard for CF).
  • No monastery (barring the absolute minimum).
  • Auto-lessons every time.
  • No animations on.
  • All free time was always spent on free battles, or paralogues if they were available.
Edited by Interdimensional Observer

My shortest play through was 98 hours (CF, normal classic, NG); my longest was 203 (VW, maddening classic, NG+).

I am, as is apparent, a very slow player. I play with animations on, watch all supports,  speak to everyone every month in the monastery, etc. I also tend to treat pretty much every map as if it's a rout map, spend way too long agonising over completely inconsequential decisions, min-max the monastery sessions to try to see as many supports as I can, etc. Basically, I do pretty much anything that comes to mind when you think of palying slowly. I don't do broken-weapon grinding or infinite-auxillary-battle grinding, and I don't turtle when I can help it, but otherwise, I'm all aboard the slow train. I also frequently do other things while I'm playing or get distracted and leave the game running unattended, which also increases the reported play time.

68 I think was my first playthrough, which was definitely on the longer end of what I was seeing online the month the game came out. And the next two were longer than that. Since they had the express purpose of grinding and watching supports on Normal/casual. And I think my Maddening run was at least 90 despite skipping 100% of story and supports. Probably because my game was sitting in idle for a lot as I research details on what gifts units like so I can recruit them in part 1, and what things to plant..

In my experience, when it comes to comparing clear times in various video games, I think most people play games at pretty much the same rate. The only real difference is how much the game is sitting in idle, not being played. Since the game's timer is still running when no buttons are being pressed. People who play video games get called away for some chore, perhaps not making a habit of slipping the game into sleep mode. Maybe they like to play video games alongside some other activity like watching a movie or stream that's diverting their attention every so often. These diversions may be a few minutes, but if they happen often, they can add up to many hours

Edited by Glennstavos

9 minutes ago, lenticular said:

My shortest play through was 98 hours (CF, normal classic, NG); my longest was 203 (VW, maddening classic, NG+).

I am, as is apparent, a very slow player. I play with animations on, watch all supports,  speak to everyone every month in the monastery, etc. I also tend to treat pretty much every map as if it's a rout map, spend way too long agonising over completely inconsequential decisions, min-max the monastery sessions to try to see as many supports as I can, etc. Basically, I do pretty much anything that comes to mind when you think of palying slowly. I don't do broken-weapon grinding or infinite-auxillary-battle grinding, and I don't turtle when I can help it, but otherwise, I'm all aboard the slow train. I also frequently do other things while I'm playing or get distracted and leave the game running unattended, which also increases the reported play time.

Hey you're not alone on the slow train. My times were in the 90-120 hour range and I basically play in the same fashion that you mentioned. I remember some early review of the game and they said it took them 80 hours, which seemed reasonable to me even though my first run took me 150% times longer haha.

I got the game on launch day, and I first finished it on September 20th, 2019. My first run was about... 90 hours? I think? I don't fully remember how long it took, so it might've been more, or it might've been less. Either way, it took me a while, lol. I wanted to do as much as I could in my first run to see what the game had to offer, at least in the route I chose (which was Golden Deer). I started Azure Moon soon after, but I still haven't gotten around to finishing it (I'm still in the Academy phase; I guess I've sorta lost interest in the game after beating it the first time around. I did try out a Maddening Solo run, which is farther along than my Azure Moon run, but I digress). I haven't played in a few months, but I'm pretty sure I've got over 150 total(ish) hours on the game right now. 

I got it on my birthday back in June with all the DLC.

Currently pending completion of the remaining stories as I only completed Crimson Flower.

Don't remember the duration for that path though and I can't find my cartridge at this second to give an answer.

My first was VW, and while I technically haven't finished, I've played every chapter but one and have restarted three chapters back, so I've basically done a full playthrough in terms of game time, and it took me about 78~ hours, including me not reading supports after chapter six or so.

I'm still only on my third playthrough of the game (did CF-Normal -> AM-Hard -> currently VW-Maddening, all the same NG+ file).

First two runs took me roughly 50 hours apiece. I wouldn't actively skip much, even on supports, but I did play quickly through the monastery and auxiliary battles. 

This maddening run, on the other hand, is proving to be significantly longer, largely due to much more effort being put into optimizing the run. I'm slightly over 60 hours on this run and just cleared chapter 17, so I anticipate this one taking 75-80 hours in total.

Obviously, playtime varies heavily based both on playstyle and difficulty of the game, so such a wide spread isn't particularly surprising.

Not exactly sure about the hours, but I was able to do the Blue Lions route in the entire weekend, and I would guess that I definitely didn't take 40 hours for me. Admittedly I chose the easy difficulty to get a feel for the game and experience the story without me getting frustrated, so I might have taken a bit shorter than others.

In order (No NG+):

CF Hard/Casual - 50 Hours (Getting a feel for the Game)

AM Maddening/Casual - 70 Hours (Getting a feel for Maddening)

VW Maddening/Classic - 70 Hours (GD students are a mixed bag of usefulness)

SS Maddening/Classic - 60 Hours (Blitzed through Part 1, took some time in Part 2)

CS (DLC) Hard/Classic - 5 Hours

I think about 70 hours on my first run, since I did everything I could. Later routes were about the same due to the amount of grinding I did in order to recruit all of the characters, and making sure they're all the same level. Current playthroughs are about 60 hours. The grinding takes up most of the time, but I skip most of the supports and cutscenes. (I watch the ones for the pairs I consider "canon" or for supports I just like.)

(NG) VW-Normal: 115 hours

(NG+) CF-Hard: 95 hours

(NG++) AM-Maddening: 140 hours

(NG+++) SS-Maddening: 140 hours

CS-Hard: 15 hours

I play slow in certain regards (spending upwards of 30 minutes on preps, talking to literally everyone in the monastery, not skipping battle animations or voices, often overthinking on higher difficulties), but it's quite easily a 100-hour game, per playthrough.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Typo.

I've finished my first playthrough within 40 Hours on CF. 

Granted, I never played any Animations, Aux Battles, and gave up doing anything regarding the Monetary by the timeskip. I also skipped a lot of maps by warp skipping straight to the boss

Now an average run takes me about 25 hours, but that's with all the above plus skipping all story segements. 

Edited by LoneRecon400