Is there a cheap solution to get these two games?

Sengu

I live in Europe and I really don't understand why these games are so expensive. Do any of you people know how to get Path of Radiance and/or Radiant Dawn at least at a tolerable (ie: 20-30€/$) price? I mostly searched on ebay but the prices are outrageous. 

Any other online shop that I might not know of?

14 minutes ago, Sengu said:

I live in Europe and I really don't understand why these games are so expensive. Do any of you people know how to get Path of Radiance and/or Radiant Dawn at least at a tolerable (ie: 20-30€/$) price? I mostly searched on ebay but the prices are outrageous. 

The only cheap solution is to learn japanese, sadly, as far as I know. These games do not have a lot of non-Japanese copies and so the cost is extremely high compared to other FE games, or games from that era.

58 minutes ago, Sengu said:

as far as i know, there's no way to get them at a reasonable price

they also tend to get even pricier depending on the language: italian versions tend to cost a lot more simply because there are less available copies compared to other languages i know what i'm talking about

i'm sorry, this will probably never change: the only thing you can hope for is to wait for a port, a remaster or a remake of those games

1 hour ago, Hello72207 said:

The only cheap solution is to learn japanese, sadly, as far as I know. These games do not have a lot of non-Japanese copies and so the cost is extremely high compared to other FE games, or games from that era.

I know japanese, so the language is not a problem for me. The real problem is the console since european ones are region locked so I can't get japanese games to work on my GameCube and Wii. 

58 minutes ago, Yexin said:

as far as i know, there's no way to get them at a reasonable price

they also tend to get even pricier depending on the language: italian versions tend to cost a lot more simply because there are less available copies compared to other languages i know what i'm talking about

i'm sorry, this will probably never change: the only thing you can hope for is to wait for a port, a remaster or a remake of those games

Yeah, I'm italian as well and I noticed this kind of trend. I hate that. 

The law requires that I answer no. The thing with the Tellius games is that there weren't too many copies made or sold outside of Japan. This makes them pricier. The only advice I can give you is to find a reputable seller on a secondhand selling website like ebay, and privately contact them  to see if you can get it cheaper. Sadly, you aren't going to be able to find any in the 20-30 range, if you do, be wary, as they might be scamming you.  

9 hours ago, Sengu said:

I know japanese, so the language is not a problem for me. The real problem is the console since european ones are region locked so I can't get japanese games to work on my GameCube and Wii. 

If you have an original PAL GCN you can look into getting an AR Freeloader disc for PAL consoles - this should circumvent the Region Lock and let you play NTSC/JPN games.

That said, I have yet to play a JPN game in my PAL console with my Freeloader, but I can attest to it working with NTSC games (Baten Kaitos: Origins, a 2 disc game, works great).

It should be noted that there are also Freeloaders for the Wii, but I can't vouch for how well they work - iirc, it depends on the model of Wii you've got - with later models being much more finicky on working with certain versions of Freeloader for Wii discs (if at all).

Just as a precaution though, if you play a JPN game on another region's console there's a chance the game wants to reformat the memory card - I'm not sure entirely why it happens (granted I haven't really looked into why or which JPN titles do/don't reformat memory cards) but it's usually recommended to use a separate Memory Card for JPN games.

5 hours ago, Tactician_Iris said:

If you have an original PAL GCN you can look into getting an AR Freeloader disc for PAL consoles - this should circumvent the Region Lock and let you play NTSC/JPN games.

That said, I have yet to play a JPN game in my PAL console with my Freeloader, but I can attest to it working with NTSC games (Baten Kaitos: Origins, a 2 disc game, works great).

It should be noted that there are also Freeloaders for the Wii, but I can't vouch for how well they work - iirc, it depends on the model of Wii you've got - with later models being much more finicky on working with certain versions of Freeloader for Wii discs (if at all).

Just as a precaution though, if you play a JPN game on another region's console there's a chance the game wants to reformat the memory card - I'm not sure entirely why it happens (granted I haven't really looked into why or which JPN titles do/don't reformat memory cards) but it's usually recommended to use a separate Memory Card for JPN games.

Thanks, this is interesting. I was looking for a way to bypass the region lock but didn't stumble upon this AR Freeloader you speak of. I will look into it, although when I was living in Japan my passion for Fire Emblem didn't reignite, so I didn't acquire any japanese copies of the forementioned titles. Maybe I can get them from some japanese website if the shipping costs are "ok".

13 hours ago, Pengaius said:

The law requires that I answer no. The thing with the Tellius games is that there weren't too many copies made or sold outside of Japan. This makes them pricier. The only advice I can give you is to find a reputable seller on a secondhand selling website like ebay, and privately contact them  to see if you can get it cheaper. Sadly, you aren't going to be able to find any in the 20-30 range, if you do, be wary, as they might be scamming you.  

Thanks, do you happen to know some alternatives to ebay? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I wish, I've been looking for a Path of Radiance copy for many years. It's just impossible to get it cheap unless you buy it from Japan and even then, there's the region lock problem. Emulators are really the only way and I hate myself so much for not knowing about Path of Radiance's existence in the past. I'm just glad I have Radiant Dawn. I gotta think though they'll release them both someday digitally on the Nintendo shop. It stuns me they haven't come out yet, but with all of these HD remastered games that other Nintendo games have been getting I think PoR is the most likely candidate for that, Fire Emblem wise.

So really, using an emulator or being patient and praying they release the games digitally are the best bet. If you wanted to go extreme you could always buy a Japan Wii (since it can play both GC and Wii games) and then the games from Japan too, if you can get them reasonably. I don't think Radiant Dawn is as ridiculous, you might be able to snatch it for around $80 or so. Which is a bit more than what games sell for now (only $10 more than PS5 and Xbox Series X games), but I'd pay that much if I didn't have the game tbh. But I only say that because it's my favorite video game.

• 3 weeks later...

Your best chance is to emulate it (unless the Nintendo ninjas come knocking at your door) Luckily I still have my old Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn copies from years ago so I'm fine regardless but in your case...you may just have to buy the actual game, hope you're a millionaire