What is a pitfall?

Sengu

As the title says.

I'm new to the FE community on the internet and I stumbled upon this word many times, but didn't really understand what it means in the context of the games. Can someone enlighten me and maybe get a little more specific?

(yeah, I suppose this question is really naive and dumb but hey, what can you do)

Edited by Sengu

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA69XE9lKaI64aDqHYvng0U9jpYF1dslC

It´s a series of videos by a FE youtuber on mistakes and the like that may or may not affect your play in a negative fashion. It has to do with how to use stat boosters, how units should be evaluated etc. pp.

This is a pitfall

Spoiler

It's a matter of design—how pitfall trap design affects trap samples and  possible predictions [PeerJ]

Spoiler

Yes I know I'm being fasetious, but the idea that treating a Jagen as being an exp thief who will end up hurting you so just drop them already can lead to falling into traps like this is the idea

8 minutes ago, Dayni said:

This is a pitfall

Hide contents

It's a matter of design—how pitfall trap design affects trap samples and  possible predictions [PeerJ]

Reveal hidden contents

Yes I know I'm being fasetious, but the idea that treating a Jagen as being an exp thief who will end up hurting you so just drop them already can lead to falling into traps like this is the idea

You think you are funny guy are you?

4 minutes ago, nedya said:

Maybe.

Back on topic, pitfalls as a term did exist before Mekkah's series of videos but they're a pretty strong series discussing them, can be affecting a wide variety of topics (such as how you treat rarer items/weapons, the viability of growth units as opposed to prepromted units with lesser growths), though you could argue about their being a universal rule that must be followed strictly.

“Pit fall” can be best explained as strategic errors commonly found within the Fire Emblem community, they are the bad practices that players tend to repeat in every single playthrough because these players believe them to be the optimal ways to play Fire Emblem, the term originated from Mekkah who made a series about it on Youtube.

The GBA Fire Emblem guides on GameFaqs are full of these “Pit Falls”, most of them are responsible for spreading sub-optimal strategies to the community such as ditching your Jeigans, growths and endgame stats are the only things that matter, using bad classes like Archers and Armor Knights, etc.

Edited by Ari Chan

Just as an aside, Mekkah explicitly doesn't want that series to be seen as "you have to play this way". His intention was to refute a bunch of assumptions that are common in the FE fandom - using your Jeigan is a beginner's trap; it's always advantagous to use as many different classes as possible; promoting earlier than Lv. 20 is a mistake - because doing those things often makes the games more difficult.

As you've noticed, the term has become somewhat of a meme and it is sometimes used to make fun of people who don't play the game "optimally". If you see it thrown around in that way, remind yourself that Mekkah used Wendy in his FE6 ironman run. ;):

3 hours ago, nedya said:

Yes, it was.  And probably the best answer in this thread.  Since no one brought up a certain PoR/RD map.

2 minutes ago, Sengu said:

Alright, now I'm curious, what map?

PoR: Chapter 23
RD: Part 3, Chapter 11

As in, actual holes in the map where your non-fliers fall in and are unable to do anything for a turn.  Quite the mechanic, and hasn't returned.  Which IMO is for the best!

21 minutes ago, eclipse said:

As in, actual holes in the map where your non-fliers fall in and are unable to do anything for a turn.  Quite the mechanic, and hasn't returned.  Which IMO is for the best!

Agreed. PoR has some of the best maps in the franchise but that... isn't... one of them.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Remember that lava level from Birthright?

Although, that would be closer to a foxhole.

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

Yes, it was.  And probably the best answer in this thread.  Since no one brought up a certain PoR/RD map.

I would have if I had noticed the thread a lot earlier (I'm in the middle of exam period and don't have much time to be on serenesforest). I would've said something like, "A pitfall is the thing that makes the bridge chapter in PoR and RD really annoying" or something like that. 

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

I think the idea honestly has potential, but I think it needs to work differently from how PoR and RD implemented it. I liked how you could sort-of tell from enemy placements and movements were some of the traps would be, but I think a subtle visual indicator would've also been appropriate.

A defend chapter where the player can place disguised pits would also be cool, and the player's army being able to use pits in an FE game would be the sort of guerilla tactics one could expect from an army that's typically outnumbered and underequipped compared to whatever empire it's fighting. Just look at the Wars of Scottish Independence for a historical example: Robert the Bruce used pits and infantrymen with long spears to beat English cavalry. 

A pitfall is an idea or rationale that sounds good until you put it to the test. Like "don't use Jagens because they steal exp". Then you run the numbers and notice their impact on your exp gains is extremely small if you intend to raise five or more other units. Mekkah's Pitfalls series is an examination of that sort of iffy advice that had gone unexamined for a long time.

Edited by Glennstavos

On 12/15/2020 at 10:47 AM, Ari Chan said:

“Pit fall” can be best explained as strategic errors commonly found within the Fire Emblem community, they are the bad practices that players tend to repeat in every single playthrough because these players believe them to be the optimal ways to play Fire Emblem, the term originated from Mekkah who made a series about it on Youtube.

The GBA Fire Emblem guides on GameFaqs are full of these “Pit Falls”, most of them are responsible for spreading sub-optimal strategies to the community such as ditching your Jeigans, growths and endgame stats are the only things that matter, using bad classes like Archers and Armor Knights, etc.

Well, using archers and armor knights aren't exactly pitfalls if you train them for a chapter or two. Agree that GameFAQs has some suboptimal guides though. And so are those weord tier lists of best characters in reddit or that some youtubers do. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 12:21 PM, Mylady said:

Well, using archers and armor knights aren't exactly pitfalls if you train them for a chapter or two. Agree that GameFAQs has some suboptimal guides though. And so are those weord tier lists of best characters in reddit or that some youtubers do. 

yea I agree that using those classes aren't inherently pitfalls. It definitely depends on the games however.