Silver Route Supports

Use the Falchion

I've heard some yearning for Three Houses to have a Golden Route. I thoroughly understand the sentiment (and indeed wouldn't mind it), but I think it would ruin the bittersweet story that the game is going for. As a compromise, I've always touted what I call "Silver Routes," where one extra lord is recruited on a different route during New Game+:

Claude would be recruited in Azure Moon 

Dimitri would be recruited in Crimson Flower

Edelgard would be recruited in Verdant Wind

And for a bonus, DLC path, Edelgard and Rhea would team up against TWSITD and their new allies. 

I wrote out some of the supports, and as I finish the rest, I'll post them here. 

Edelgard & Dimitri - accompanying song is "Feel Like Home" by Fort Minor

C-Support:

Spoiler

Dimtri *swinging a weapon*

Dimitri: Ha! Ha! 

Dimitri: I think that will do it for tonight. 

Edelgard: Still training, I see. 

Dimitri: Ah! 

Edelgard: Did I surprise you? If you don't watch your back, you may lose an eye.

Dimitri: Ah, no...that's not - forgive me. I knew someone was watching, but I didn't expect it to be you.

Edelgard: Who did you expect?

Dimitri: Honestly, Dedue. 

Edelgard: Heh, makes sense. 

Dimitri: And you Edelgard? Should I expect Hubert to be watching from the shadows? 

Edelard: Not tonight. He has other matters to attend to. 

Dimitri: I see...if you don't mind me asking, why are you up so late? It's not healthy, you know. 

Edelgard: I could ask you the same.

Dimitri: ...it's not always easy for me to sleep. It hasn't been for some time...

Edelgard: ...

Edelgard: ...care to spar?

Dimitri: Pardon?

Edelgard: It will be a little while longer before your vassal notices you're not asleep and mine arrives. Care to spar?

Dimitri: An offer to train with another house leader...how rare. Well, who am I to refuse? 

B Support: 

Spoiler

Dimitri: ...and turn, and done!

Annette: Wow, thanks! You know, you're a pretty good dancer!

Dimitri: Well, I - say, aren't you supposed to water the flowers today?

Annette: Oh no, you're right! I have to go! I'll see you later!

Dimitri: Heh, she never slows down. 

Edelgard: But she was right you know.

Dimitri: Ah!

Edelgard: ...again...?

Dimitri: Forgive my surprise. I don't know how you keep doing it.

Edelgard: Maybe I'm a ghost, here to haunt you.

Dimitri: ...

Edelgard: ...Dimitri?

Dimitri: Ah, pardon my lapse. You were saying something?

Edelgard: Your classmate was right. You are a good dancer. 

Dimitri: High praise, coming from one such as yourself. 

Edelgard: I beg your pardon?

Dimitri: No - I only meant - what I mean to say is that I've heard that dancing is something of an esteemed art in the Empire. The Faerghus has little time for such luxeries, so being praised by one who has clearly had such training is indeed high praise.

Edelgard: If you say so. I myself haven't danced in quite some time. 

Dimitri: No partner?

Edelgard: No time. As you said, dancing is a luxury, and I'll leave it to my subjects to dance. I have more important goals to accomplish. Dancing...no dancing is a thing of the past. 

Dimitri: I see...

Dimitri: I hear the Winter Ball is coming up? Surely you can spare some time for a dance there?

Edelgard: We'll see. Until then, remember that the ballroom isn't the only place where we dance. 

*Edelgard walks off*

Dimitri: ...did I truly mean so little to you...?

B+ Support: 

Spoiler

Edelgard *training*

Edelgard: Ha! Ha!

Edelgard: That should do it for tonight. 

Edelgard: If you have time to watch Dimitri, you have time to train. 

Dimitri: It seems that your haunting is a one-way road. 

Dimitri: I jest. And clearly I need to work on such things.  

Edelgard: Save the jests for someone else. Why are you here?

Dimitri: I can remember a similar exchange not too long ago. Regardless, I brought some food. I'm not that particular when it comes to food myself, and I'm not sure what you'd like, so I brought a few things.

Edelgard: A few - Dimitri, you brought a feast!

Dimitri: My comrades eat a lot, so...oh - I don't mean to imply - I just want to make sure - 

Dimitri: *sighs*

Dimitri: Forgive me Edelgard. When I'm around you, my words seem to make a mockery of my intent. 

Edelgard: I'll let it go this time...eat with me. 

Edelgard: So, why did you come here?

Dimitri: I had a...request, if you will. 

Edelgard: Go on. 

Dimitri: I wanted to talk to you on the night of the ball. At the Goddess Tower. 

Edelgard: ...I see...

Edelgard: Dimitri...you don't believe in such tales, do you?

Dimitri: No more than I suspect you do. But there is something I want - no, something I NEED to tell you. And that night and that place felt appropriate. 

Edelgard: Why not tell me now?

Dimitri: I...need time. To prepare my words. I believe what I have to say will carry weight that unprepared words may not convey. I want to be prepared. For both our sakes. 

Edelgard: I understand. 

Dimitri: I know my words may not have been...as eloquent, but I do care about you Edelgard. So please, meet me during that day. 

A - Support: BEWARE: AZURE MOON SPOILERS

Spoiler

Dimitri *stares at the moon*

Dimitri: You never came. 

Edelgard: It seems you finally learned. 

Dimitri: The night of the ball. You never came. 

Edelgard: I had other plans. Even you can see that now. I didn't have time for a love confession.

Dimitri: Love...hehehahaHAHAHA! You thought THAT was what I was going to tell you?

Edelgard: It wasn't...?

Dimitri: Love...heh. As if something like you is even CAPABLE of love...

Dimitri: You're here now, and that will have to do. Edelgard, you are my sister. 

Edelgard: What?! That's impossible!

Dimitri: Not by blood, small blessing that it may be. My father married Anselma in secret. 

Edelgard: How!? That would have had to happen...

Dimitri: During your exile in the Holy Kingdom. 

Edelgard: I...

Dimitri: We became friends, you know. Back then. We didn't know anything, and it was only for a year, but we were best friends. 

Edelgard: ...that can't be...it was you...?

Dimitri: You taught me how to dance, and before you left, I gave you that dagger. 

Edelgard: I...I can remember now...bits and pieces. 

Dimtri: It wasn't until later that I found out about our shared mother. She treated like I was her own. Did you know that? Now she whispers to me to kill you. For her son-by-bond to kill her daughter by blood...

Dimitri: And someday, I will respond to that request with your blood. Can you hear it? She's calling us monsters...heh...as if we could be anything else...

Edelgard: ....

A+

Spoiler

Dimitri: ...what do you want?

Edelgard: A dance.

Dimitri: !?

Edelgard: Come.

*Dimitri and Edelgard dance*

Edelgard: You're right by the way. We are monsters.

Dimitri: ...

Edelgard: Our crests, our actions...how could we be anything else?

Dimitri: *holds in a sob*

*Dimitri and Edelgard stop dancing*

Dimitri: Then why...?

Edelgard: I...wanted to see. I thought maybe we could regain - 

Dimitri: Our humanity? No, we threw that away. We only dance to dole out death now. We adorn that floor with corpses. We are monsters, you and I. And nothing will change that. 

Edelgard: ...yes, yes we are. 

Paired Ending:

Spoiler

Once Edelgard's changes were enacted, she and Dimitri disappeared. Some say that he killed her in battle. Others the opposite. Some say that she proposed to him and that they lived the rest of their days out in peace. Others the opposite. Some say that they travelled the world while others claimed they killed themselves in the Holy Mausoleum. The truth is that the world never found out, as the two were never seen again.  

Dimitri and Claude - accompanying song is "A Different Way" by DJ Snake & Lauv

C-Support

Spoiler

Claude: ...steady...and...carefully...and...yes!

*Dimitri walks by*

Dimitri: Claude? ...I wonder...

*SCENE CHANGE*

Soldier: Urgh...my stomach! I give up!

Claude: You put up a good fight. Now if you don't mind, could you stop speaking bad about other countries? I won fair and square, and those were the terms.

Soldier: ...urgh...fine, I'll stop.

*Soldier leaves*

*Dimitri enters*

Dimitri: Fair and square? I'm not sure I'd call poising an opponent before a fight "fair."

Claude: Your Kingliness! Let's go somewhere a bit quieter.

*Scene change*

Dimitri: Here is far enough.

Claude: For the whole monastery to here? 

Claude: *sighs*

Claude: Fine, let's hear what you have to say.

Dimitri: ...why did you challenge that soldier to a fight?

Claude: That's where you're starting? Color me surprised.

Dimitri: For all of your skullduggery, you don't seem like one to prompt fights without reason. 

Claude: Maybe I wanted to change it up? Throw watching eyes off their game. But I'll humor you.

Claude: The soldier was going on about how other cultures and people like Almyra and Duscur are wastepits, and their people are too. I didn't appreciate it, so I challenged him to a duel. 

Dimitri: ...I see. And which part of the duel involved cheating?

Claude: I said a duel, I didn't say when it would begin. It's his fault for assuming that fights begin at a certain time and place. 

Dimitri: I do see your logic.

Claude: Really? 

Dimitri: Battlefields are often chaotic and messy. There's no clean fight, and contrary to what the stories tell you, no honor to be found. You kill your enemies with what tools you have, be it the weapon in your hand or a closed fist.

Claude: Not to mention that battles are often planned and prepped for ahead of time. Only a fool thinks otherwise. 

Dimitri: Heh, you're not wrong. 

Claude: So, do "deem my actions appropriate?"

Dimitri: I am neither judge or jury, simply a man checking a peer. 

Claude: If you say so. Now if you'll excuse me, I seem to be short a supply of nonlethal toxins. 

Dimitri: Very well. 

*Dimitri leaves*

Claude: He surprised twice me in that conversation. Dimitri...I'll have to keep a close eye on you.

B-Support

Spoiler

Dimitri: Ah, Claude, there you are.

Claude: Your Kingliness! To what do I owe the pleasure this time?

Dimitri: I wanted your opinion on something. 

Claude: Ask away.

Dimitri: The Kingdom of Faerghus is having some trouble with our northerly neighbors of Sreng. 

Claude: Go on.

Dimitri: I was wondering...how would you deal with them? How do you make peace with someone who only wants to fight? 

Claude: Why ask me? 

Dimitri: My allies, great as they may be, can't provide the advise I need. Dedue would simply agree to any decision I made. Ashe and Ingrid would want to make the choice based on what they think is honorable, probably relating to those stories of knights they love so much. Felix would simply suggest to beat them into submission, welcoming any challenge they present. 

Claude: Wait, let me guess the rest - Sylvain would want to woo all of their women, and Annette and Mercedes would want to bake for everyone.

Dimitri: That's not how I would phrase it, but close enough. 

Claude: And you haven't asked Her Highness?

Dimitri: Do you mean Edelgard? No...I haven't gotten around to it. 

Claude: Yet you sought me out? I'm flattered. 

Claude: What would I do...say Dimitri, why do the Sreng people fight? 

Dimitri: They used to occupy the land of Faerghus before our ancestors...displaced them. From the accounts I've read, they actually didn't mind.

Claude: And I'm sure these accounts were all found in Fodlan, approved by the church?

Dimitri: ...yes. 

Claude: So the only accounts you have are biased and censored by the church to make your ancestors look noble. Sorry, go on. 

Dimitri: No, no...your point is a good one. Thank you Claude. You've given me much to think about. 

B+ Support

Spoiler

Claude: Dimitri! There you are!

Dimitri: Claude? To what do I owe the surprise?

Claude: What do the Sreng people believe?

Claude: The Sreng people? What do you know about their religion?

Dimitri: From what I've heard, they believe that souls are born in the heat of a mountain, released when volcanoes erupt. Fires are used to purify the soul, and tools of metal hold pieces of the soul of the one who built them. 

Dimitri: Blacksmiths are supposedly treated with great respect, and weapons are passed down through families, not unlike our Relics. 

Claude: Was it any mountain they believed held their souls, or was there a specific one?

Dimitri: I can't say I know. Why the questions?

Claude: I did some digging of my own. And I think I may have something to help your problem. 

Claude: The Sreng people believe that all live originates from a volcanic mountain near the Sacred Gwenhwyvar. They used to travel there twice a year for a pilgrimage and to escape the harsh winter farther north. 

Dimitri: Hmm...

Claude: My suggestion is that you allow free travel for the pilgrimage. 

Dimitri: May I ask why?

Claude: Well, religion means a lot to people; allowing for the pilgrimage would give regular people a chance to not only see the world beyond their borders, but to participate in something that their culture and religion demands. Not to mention the increase in trade due to travelling expenses...I think it could work. 

Dimitri: I see...how do you suggest I deal with the Church of Seiros? 

Claude: Solid concern - they aren't too fond of those who don't share the same faith. I would ask the church to offer up their churches as rest spots along the way. That way they can still preach the blessings of their goddess to the Sreng people while still looking magnanimous, and the Sreng people can rest in a place without having to worry about money for lodging. 

Dimitri: Thank you Claude. Do you mind if I ask one more question?

Claude: Go ahead.

Dimitri: Is this how you will deal with the Almyrans?

Claude: What? What do you mean?

Dimitri: Someday you will be the leader of the Alliance. And I know how the Alliance always must prepare for an Almyran attack...is this how you would prefer to engage with them?

Claude: ...something like that. I'll tell you someday. 

Dimitri: I look forward to it. 

A-Support

Spoiler

Claude: ...and done! 

Dimitri: What do you think?

Claude: It looks good! I can't say this treaty is missing a single thing. 

Dimitri: And yet your face is telling me something is off. 

Claude: Dimitri, do you think treaties can change hearts? 

Dimitri: ...I'm not sure. The problems held between the Sreng people and those of the Kingdom have a long history. This treaty can't heal the hurt or repair the families broken on both sides. But maybe, just maybe it can help open our eyes to the hurt of others. 

Claude: To the hurt of others? I'm not sure that's something people want to see. 

Dimitri: I agree. It's far easier to think of the other side as monsters, incapable of reasoning behind their actions...I know I am guilty of that...and I know others think the same of me. Rightfully so...

Claude: ...

Dimitri: But this...with this, maybe we have a chance of reverting it. So to answer your question. I am not sure if treaties can change hearts, but I am willing to allow them the chance. 

Claude: You seem really fired up about this.

Dimitri: Well, to tell you the truth...I don't want to stop with just Sreng. 

Claude: Oh? 

Dimitri: I want to change our relationships with Duscur, and Almyra, and all of Fodlan's neighbors! Fodlan has been closed off for so long...our hearts frozen in what we felt we needed to hear to survive. We were wrong, and I want to change that.

Claude: Dimitri...

Dimitri: Claude, can I count on you? Will you help me change Fodlan?

Claude: Well, after a speech like that, how can I refuse?

Dimitri: Good. I'll be counting on your experience as leader of the Alliance - for however long it was - to help us foster a new relationship with Almyra. 

*Dimitri walks off*

Claude: "For however long it was." ...should I tell him...? Nah, it'll be more fun to surprise him at the treaty signings...

Author's Notes about the supports:

Spoiler

Edelgard & Dimitri:

The C support is based off of a fan comic of the C support from a few weeks ago. That was practically the perfect C support, so I adopted parts of it to fit the narrative here. (It was perfect for written text, but it wouldn't have worked for a videogame.) Edelgard's offer to train with Dimitri was an action born of sympathy. I tried to put little moments of those in here, but I'm not sure either character just right. Dimitri's voice was easier to find than Edelgard's since I've spent far more time with him. I haven't played SS or Crimson Flower, so I'm not sure exactly how to characterize Edelgard correctly. I hope I did a good job. 

The B support about dancing was one that was bound to happen. Having Annette appear was a fun surprise, but I love little cameos like that. And it shows the brotherly nature of Dimitri. I didn't do it for foreshadowing, but I think it may work like that, in weird way. I switched Annette's action from "helping Mercedes" to "watering the flowers" because in my head, Annette and Felix's C support would happen just after this. Again, Edelgard and Dimitri seem to bring out the darkness in each other, even when trying to joke. 

The B+ support mirrors the C support. I didn't originally intend it to do so, but I needed the extra space and I felt like it would work pretty well, so I worked it in. Dimitri's offer of food is a subtle reference to the fact that he can't taste anything anymore...and Ingrid's eating habits. And yes, it looks like Dimitri is gearing up for a love confession. That was by intent. In my head, the people reading these supports would be first-time players. Maybe if not of the game, since the Silver Routes would be a DLC/NG+ thing, then at least of that route. So people see Dimitri and Edelgard's reactions and thing that he's just in love with her because that's how it looks - an awkward noble boy trying to confess his love to one of our protagonists. There are hints of other things, however. 

The A support was part of the original supports. I've known what I wanted for a while, so I knew what the dynamic was going to be. Dimitri's manic laugh wasn't a part of the main plant, but it fit. It's him reveling in information that Edelgard and the audience don't have. And ending on that crazy note...

The A+ support is shorter than the others, but that was by design. Edelgard and Dimitri already know each other and what they feel about themselves. I wanted this failed, flawed, futile attempt to "regain" their humanity. You can see the façade cracking for both of them, but they try to reaffirm it by the end. 

Dimitri & Claude

I had something else entirely for the original support - I believe Edelgard was mentioned more, and the differences in fighting (Claude's running away and avoiding a straight fight) were brought up more. I decided against that angle because it felt too much like "let me explain about my past and culture," and that's the sort of dialogue I'm working to avoid.

So here I brought in the rare, contemplative Dimitri and the more serious Claude. 

Most of the stuff about Sreng was made up for the sake of the support. My goal this time around was to work in worldbuilding to the support, so I presented Dimitri with a problem and had Claude help solve it. In doing so, we get a glimpse into what Claude's plans for breaking the proverbial (and eventually, literal) wall between Fodlan and Almyra would have looked like (or at least how I imagine it) had the war not happened. Trade wasn't really mentioned because I just assume that trade between the countries is already present. This was me trying to get more common people to travel. 

Again, given that this is Dimitri's route, I didn't want to explicitly talk about Claude's heritage, but I left enough clues in the supports so that first time players could figure it out. 

There were a LOT of ideas that I couldn't fit into this support. I wanted to bring back the idea of Dimitri being "judge and executioner" later on. It would have been during the B support, and Dimitri would have shown some consternation over the fact that as a king, he effectively WOULD be those things. There was the discussion of peace through conquering, and it would have Dimitri wonder about these things in the B support, and then reflect and wonder if that's what Edelgard thought she was doing in their A support. (This was closer to the original idea I had.) I also tossed around the idea that someone like Felix would actually have Sreng blood in them, but that was thrown out pretty quickly. There was also going to be more talks about faith and blasphemy in terms of the church and Sreng. I kept certain aspects in, such as Claude's cynicism and Dimitri question on how to deal with the church later, but a good bit was cut. 

Dimitri's open-mindedness at the end is more of Claude's thing, but I blame it on Claude rubbing off on him. Dimitri has been through so much, and has done so much, and I wanted to show a more idealistic version of that character trying to put all of that to good use. 

Finished the Claude x Edelgard support, so here you go!

Accompanying songs are "Listening With a Million Ears" by Ramin Djawadi and/or "Gion-Cho" by Band-Maiko (a spin-off of sorts of Band-Maid)

C-Support:

Spoiler

*Edelgard and Hubert are playing a game.*

*Claude walks by*

Claude: What is that...?

Edelgard: Checkmate.

Hubert: As peerless as always, My Lady. 

Edelgard: Thank you Hubert, but peerless isn't perfect. What were my errors?

*Claude walks between Edelgard and Hubert*

Claude: What game is that? I haven't seen it before.

Hubert: A game one so carefree as you does not need to concern yourself with. 

Edelgard: You'll have to excuse Hubert this time. It's an old Imperial game. I'm sure you've seen the modern iteration. 

Claude: The modern...oh! You mean...yeah, I've seen it before. Can't say I don't like it. What's the difference between the two?

Edelgard: The older version has fewer pieces, but far more of them. Victory requires far more sacrifice in this version than the newer ones.

Claude: I see. So you're saying that the experience comes down to intelligence? How is that different from the newer versions? 

Hubert: Her Magisty does not have time to waste teaching you the rules of something you have no real skill in. 

Edelgard: Hubert, it's alright. I can explain a few things. 

Edelgard: The key differences, Claude, are the victory conditions. You'll see that the modern iterations are focused around one goal - to take down the King. In the older versions, there's more than one way to victory. See this piece here? The King usually sits on a throne, but is free to move off of it if the situation requires such tactics. If you take the throne. You can win by taking the throne as easily as you can by taking the King. 

Claude: I see. And which way do you prefer to win, Your Highness? By taking the throne, or by taking the King? 

Edelgard: Why don't you play me and find out?

Claude: Heh, I accept the offer. But it will probably have to wait for another time. I think your shadow is going to cast me into a different realm if I stay here too long. 

Hubert: I have done worse for less. 

Claude: I don't doubt it. In that case, I look forward with playing that game with you, your majesty. 

*Claude leaves*

Hubert: ...should I follow him?

Edelgard: No, Claude may have his secrets, but he's not one we need fear. Besides, I believe you have a report for me. Peerless isn't perfect. 

Hubert: Of course, My Lady. 

B-Support:

Spoiler

*Claude is talking to Dimitri*

*Claude is talking to Lorenz*

*Claude is talking to Petra*

*Claude is talking to Hanneman*

*Claude is talking to Ferdinand von Aegir*

*Claude is talking to Seteth*

Claude: I think that about covers it. 

Edelgard: Claude? 

Claude: Edelgard! Just the person I wanted to see. 

Edelgard: Oh?

Claude: You see, I've been doing some digging. 

Claude: Not on you...well, not yet anyways. 

Edelgard: Yet you say...that's quite forward of you.

Claude: I believe that if you're going to betray an ally, you should do the honor of letting them know. 

Edelgard: How polite. And foolish. 

Claude: What can I say, I'm a gentleman. 

Edelgard: If that's what you choose to believe. What did you intend to talk to me about?

Claude: I found a copy of that game you were playing and - after teaching a few people myself - wanted to know if you have time to take me up on that offer from before.

Edelgard: Huh...and here I thought I'd have to teach you everything. 

Claude: What can I say? I like games like these. And who knows, maybe I'll be able to teach you a thing or two. 

Edelgard: You can try. Very well. Maybe not today, but I'll be ready soon. Until then, sharpen your skills. 

Claude: Likewise. 

B+ Support: Available after Chapter 7

Spoiler

Edelgard: ...and that's checkmate. 

Claude: Again? I thought I had you beaten this time. 

Edelgard: You forgot about the reinforcement rule. 

Claude: Wait, what? We're playing the the Akag-Era rules, aren't we? That technique wasn't invented until...wait a minute...you're tricking me, aren't you!

Edelgard: And you nearly fell for it too. ..consider it payback for that little trick during the Battle of the Eagle and the Lion. 

Claude: Heh...look at you, playing a prank. Keep this up and we'll make a rebel out of you yet!

Edelgard: There's a lot you don't know about me. 

Claude: Too true. We both have our secrets. 

Edelgard: And here you are, trying to tease mine out in a game. 

Claude: ...that obvious, am I?

Edelgard: People tend to play like they've been trained to, especially when they're too used to one thing. You play as if cornered at all occasions, yet you always leave yourself an out. You sacrifice pieces easily, but then reach for them, as if you forgot that you gave them up. 

Claude: And what does that say about me? 

Edelgard: You don't trust anyone. You make allies for the sake of making them, but are capable of throwing them away quite easily if it suits your goals. Am I right?

Claude: ...not bad, Your Highness. Not bad at all. There's one small problem, though.

Claude: I was mimicking your playstyle. 

Edelgard: What? That's impossible...I was sure that...

Claude: Well, mimicking may be an exaggeration. I based my style off of what you did, mimicking where I could, and playing how I usually play when I couldn't. 

Claude: You see, when I was practicing and playing with other people, I noticed the same thing you did. So I decided to test it out on you. See if I could unravel some of those secrets you're hiding. 

Edelgard: And by asking me what I found about you, I was tricked into talking about myself. 

Claude: That's correct. 

Edelgard: ....hehehe...heheheh...

Claude: Uh...Your Highness...?

Edelgard: Ah, please, forgive the outburst. It has just be quite some time since I've been bested like that in such a carefree way. 

Claude: Glad I could help. But I do have one question. 

Edelgard: Ask away. 

Claude: I was reading a book about the game, and I found this weird analogy. It compared this game to romance, saying "to go for the King is to go for the body, but to go for the Throne is to go for the heart." I didn't understand at first, but after playing against other people I think I understood what that book was trying to say.

Claude: Yet when playing you, I couldn't tell which you prefer. You seemed to attack both the king and the throne with equal ferocity. So which do you prefer Edelgard, the body or the heart?

Edelgard: ...I'm not well-verses in such matters, but I think there is room to conquer both the body and the heart. Those who believe otherwise have not tried hard enough. 

Claude: In the game or in our lives?

Edelgard: Heh. Why don't we play another game and find out?

A-Support:

Spoiler

*Edelgard is in a cell*

*Claude enters*

Edelgard: ...come to gloat?

Claude: You know, even in prison, you're still quite the catch. 

Edelgard: *blushing* YOU!

Claude: I came to play a game.

Edelgard: Forgive me if my loss doesn't put me in the mood to play your games, Claude. 

Claude: So harsh! Well, this is a new version of the game we used to play. 

Claude: I think you'll find that it may fit both of our needs. 

*Soldier enters*

Soldier: Sir Claude, I have the things you require!

Claude: Great, set them up.

Edelgard: Claude...this board...it's massive. 

Claude: Your pieces are over there. My side is over here.

Edelgard: And that third side?

Claude: We'll get to it in a moment. Here are the rules...

*Scene fades out and back in*

Claude: And that's checkmate. ...heh, this is the first time I've beaten you at any version of this game...

Claude: ...and that brings our third foe into play, and revives the defeated enemy's King as my ally. 

Edelgard: What? 

Claude: Oh, did I forget to explain that rule?

Edelgard: It's one you conveniently left out, yes. 

Claude: Well, I'm explaining it now: Our true goal of this game was to defeat that third army. But the only way to do that is for one of the other two armies to lose first. 

Edelgard: So each side needs to keep their pieces, and preserve their opponent's pieces while trying to win against their first opponent in preparation for their second one...not bad. 

Claude: Thank you. I'm thinking of calling this the Khalid-Era version. 

Edelgard: Khalid-era...heh

Edelgard: So, what role do I play in this?

Claude: We both know the answer to that. Edelgard, please, help me. I want - no I NEED to conquer both the heart and the body. To capture hearts and minds. You taught me that it was possible. But I need allies to do that. I need friends. ...I need you. 

Edelgard: Very well. 

Claude: Really?

Edelgard: After all, you seem to have conquered the throne. Let us see if you shall do with the rest. 

Epilogue:

Spoiler

Claude and his mysterious prisoner vanished after defeating Nemesis, returning to Claude's homeland of Almyra, where the former Alliance leader accepted his rightful place as king. Not long after, Almyra's government culture were revolutionized, and the walls between Almyra and Fodlan were torn down. When those from Claude's class at the academy went to visit, they claimed that the new Almyran queen reminded them of someone, but they could not place who. It is said that the two were said to play games with and against each other late into the night. 

Author's Notes:

Spoiler

I've had the idea that Edelgard and Claude would bond over a board game in my head for a long time. It was probably the first idea of the Silver Routes that I came up with. It was always meant to show a more...introspective side to Claude. But it also would allow for Edelgard to show of her tactical mind as well. As I wrote it, the idea expanded into a metaphor for the history of the Fire Emblem franchise in a way, so I had fun playing with that. 

From the B Support on there was also a little flirting between the two, with the talk of the "heart" and the "body." The question was basically asking if Edelgard prefers casual flings or meaningful relationships. Edelgard's response is actually her answering that she believes that both physicality and emotion are needed in a relationship...even if she herself doesn't know that yet. 

Claude is also lying when talking about the "letting the allies know," or at least he's not telling the whole truth. I threw this in to keep things consistent - Claude likes knowing secrets and discovering things, but he's almost always respectful about it. His supports with Flayn involve him pestering her about her and Seteth's Crests and doing some research, but he never really bullies or forces Flayn to tell him. The same is true for his relationship with Marianne. 

The A Support is pretty plain to see. I wish it was more overtly romantic, but I didn't think it'd fit either character very well at this point. Claude may flirt, but he isn't going to profess his love for someone he barely trusts. Meanwhile, Edelgard may have feelings for Claude (her line about him conquering "the throne" was both literal and metaphorically about her heart), she really doesn't like her new position in life. 

In my head, Edelgard's recruitment would be revealed during the Dubstep Level. You would start the mission normally, and around turn 2 or 3 Edelgard would come down as an ally, and Claude would state that she's right on time. This would throw Thales for a loop, but I imagine it to be a fun reveal.

After the battle, the Golden Deer are confused as to why Edelgard is there, and then there'd be a flashback with Claude stating that they faked Edelgard's death and she's now a prisoner under his watch. (The distinction between "Claude's watch," "the Alliance's watch," and "the church's watch" will be talked about by Lorenz in the Monastery in the next chapter, as he noticed the phrasing and is suspicious about it.) 

However, the events that are going on in the flashback tell a different story. Things are going as they do in the normal version, with Claude & Co. receiving the letter about the whereabouts of TWSITD. Byleth then asks Claude if they did the right think, to which Claude would mention that he'd like to speak to Edelgard about this, if he had the chance. He needs to know her role in the story and her reasoning. From there, Byleth would go back in time to the moment they killed Edelgard and instead knock her out, capturing the Emperor. 

From there, we'd see Edelgard and Claude's A support, and then we'd head back to the present. For all of this to happen, one would need Claude and Edelgard to be at an A Support level by the time Part 2 roles around, but I don't think it'd be that hard to do. 

• 3 months later...

Still stuck on that Rhea/ Edelgard Support, but here are some other ones that I've made over the past few months that people may or may not enjoy. 

Claude/Dimitri/Edelgard

Recommended Song: "Passion/Sanctuary" by Mree or "One Last Kiss" by Utada Hikaru

Spoiler

C-Support

Spoiler

Claude: Dimitri, what are you doing here?

Dimitri: Claude? I could ask you the same thing. 

*Edelgard appears*

Edelgard: It seems that our professors have a mission for us. 

Dimitri: Edelgard?

Manuela: Astute as always.

*Manuela and Hanneman appear*

Hanneman: Unfortunately our esteemed colleague couldn’t be here for this, but we do have an extra assignment for you three. 

Dimitri: Us three in particular?

Manuela: Yup. You three were supposed to have a training exercise near Remire Village before those bandits appeared, yes? Well, we’ve decided to reschedule that little trip for...now!

Claude: Now? Way to give us time to pack and prepare…

Edelgard: Not every moment in life will allow for preparation, Claude. 

Dimitri: That may be true Edelgard, but this isn’t something that seemed unprepared either, is it Professor Hanneman?

Hanneman: ...yes, this was planned a while back. But with the school year, and the Crest of Flames, and everything else it...ah...may have slipped our minds. 

Hanneman: Granted, it will be a little different this time. You three have already experienced quite a bit on the battlefield. This will be a simple mission to help the villagers take down a reported monster.

Edelgard: I understand. Well, let’s get going. 

*Edelgard leaves*

Claude: That one doesn’t stop does she?

Dimitri: No, I suppose she doesn’t. To charge forward with no hesitation and no regret...what a way to live one’s life…

Claude: What a way to end up trapped. But she’s right this time, let’s get going. 

*Claude and Dimitri leave*

Manuela: Phew! What a stroke of luck that was, asking you about the mission instead of me!

Hanneman: Luck or pity? 

Manuela: Care to repeat that?

Hanneman: Another time maybe. Right now, we have to turn our troubles to the real obstacle.

Manuela: Seteth…

Hanneman: The scolding we’ll get if he finds out we forgot to tell them…

*transition to sunset time*

Dimitri: I think this should do it!

*thudding sound*

Claude: Well done your Kingliness! That’s quite the catch!

Edelgard: Indeed...but if I may ask, are we going to eat this…?

Dimitri: It is edible, is it not?

Edelgard: Technically, yes, but who willingly eats bear? 

Claude: Why Dimitri, I think we may have found Her Highness’s weakness!

Edelgard: This is most certainly NOT my weakness, and it would do you little good if it was. 

Claude: You don’t believe that I could sneak some cooked bear on your plate during meal times, do you?

Edelgard: Do you think that Hubert allows for anything to go by my plate untested?

Dimitri: Claude, Edelgard enough, please. We are all comrades here. Let’s just enjoy the meal. 

Claude: All right, all right. 

Claude: Say, Dimitri, how did you manage to bring down the bear anyways. 

Dimitri: My Crest grants me strength beyond what people naturally possess. It can be difficult to control, but it does have its benefits. 

Claude: Interesting.

Dimitri: It’s very well documented. I’m sure Professor Hanneman could tell you all about it. 

Edelgard: Experience and knowledge are two separate things however. 

Dimitri: True.

Edelgard: So what about you Claude? What does your Crest enable you to do?

Claude: The Crest of Riegan. Well, my ancestors have been known for their perception and eyesight. It's why my ancestors were assassins and judges in ancient Faerghus. Whether or not it was because we were compatible with the bow Failnaught or because we needed to use the bow is something I’ve yet to figure out. 

Edelgard: I see.

Claude: And saving the best for last, what about you Edelgard? What does your crest allow you to do?

Edelgard: ...the Crest of Seiros grants its user life, a life that will span far beyond what is considered normal. Centuries, for those who use it well I’ve heard. 

*crickets and now it’s dark*

Claude: Gah! Dimitri, you’re burning the meat!

Dimitri: Am I? Oh, my apologies. 

Claude: It should be fine, just...there. Phew! 

Edelgard: Good save. 

Claude: Now, all we need is a finishing touch of...and there!

Edelgard: It smells sublime!

Dimitri: It looks quite done to me. 

Claude: I think so. Let’s dig in!

Edelgard: !!

Dimitri: The texture, it’s quite nice.

Edelgard: And this seasoning...it’s from Almyra, right?

Claude: You’ve got a good tongue! It’s not too difficult to find Almyran blends in the Alliance. 

Edelgard: Well, just keep some on hand if we ever have another mission. 

Claude: Yup, who knows when his Kingliness may burn another dinner!

Dimitri: *sighs* You two will never let me hear the end of this, will you?

Claude: Nope.

Edelgard: Never. 

B-Support: MUST BE COMPLETED BEFORE CHAPTER 8

Spoiler

Edelgard: ...there you are!

*Bear roars*

Edelgard: Grah!

*Metal clings*

Edelgard: !?

*Arrow thwicks through the air*

*Bear roars*

*crashing sounds*

Edelgard: What…?

Claude: You were right! I found her!

Dimitri: Edelgard! Are you alright!

Edelgard: I’m fine. How did…

Dimitri: Dorothea and Caspar mentioned how they couldn’t find you, and so we looked around and - 

Claude: Petra, it was Petra. She told us you’ve been asking about how to hunt bears. 

Dimitri: So we searched the area, and then we remembered Remire Village. 

Edelgard: So you two came all the way out here-

Claude: To check and see if you’d be stubborn enough to come back here to fight a bear on your own? Yes, yes we did. And you’re welcome by the way. That shot? Me.

Edelgard: I-I see. It seems I am in your debt. Both of yours.

Dimitri: Friends don’t need to be indebted to one another. And more importantly, why are you hunting bears?

Edelgard: *mumbling*

Edelgard: *blushing* I said I wanted to try out that meal again!

Claude: Wait? So this was all because of our joint mission?

Edelgard: The dinner was delicious, so I thought if I could find another bear…

Dimitri: We could eat together again, under the starlight…

Claude:...

Dimitri: ...well, there others won’t arrive until mid-morning at the earliest…

Claude: ...and I still have some of my spices left…

Dimitri: So why don’t we do just that?

Edelgard: I...I...thank you. 

*Transition to early evening*

Claude: And here’s the firewood. Hey Dimitri, it looks like your power is good for more than just punching things.

Dimitri: If I ever want to abdicate the throne, at least I know I have other options...

Claude: Now all we need is a fire…

Edelgard: I can take care of that!

Dimitri: Impressive. I didn’t know you were so well-versed with magic. 

Edelgard: I’ve been practicing. It’s always good to have a trick up one’s sleeve after all. 

Claude: Next, the meat. Here, Edelgard since it’s your project, why don’t you look over it?

Edelgard: And miss the chance to perfectly char the pieces? I think this is Prince Dimitri’s strength. 

Dimitri: I must agree with Claude here. I don’t think this is the right place for me…

Claude: Why don’t you both look over it? That way Edelgard can learn how to cook it, and you won’t have to worry about burning it...too much. 

Edelgard: That works for me. You don’t have any problems cooking with a woman, do you, Dimitri?

Dimitri: *blushes* Not at all. In fact...what I mean to say is that I believe we can be quite the tea-

Edelgard: Dimitri, the pan!

Dimitri: Ah, apologies!

Claude: Ah, to think I would have missed this had I stayed behind…

*Night time*

Dimitri: Well, Edelgard, what do you think?

Edelgard: Many meals don’t quite endure the second or third experiences, but I believe this will be one that I will always enjoy. 

Claude: Good food and good friends under a starry night. What more can one ask for?

Edelgard: Friends…

Dimitri: Edelgard?

Edelgard: ...a part of me wishes that this moment could last forever…

Claude: …

Dimitri: …

Dimitri: It’s interesting to see how our lives have been shaped by Remire Village. Would we have met our Professor - would we even be alive - if not for this village?

Claude: Would we get to make memories like this?

Dimitri: This is truly a blessed place. 

Claude: Blessed or not, let’s just enjoy this moment. Right Edelgard?

Edelgard: Yes...let’s enjoy this moment. 

Edelgard: And Claude?

Claude: Yeah?

Edelgard: Thanks for the food. 

Claude: What do you - what! My plate!? How did you?

Edelgard: *mouth full* What can I say? The food is delicious. 

Dimitri: *chuckling* Why Claude, I think we’ve found her weakness!

Claude: Edelgard, give it back!

Edelgard: *laughing* hahaha!

Author's Notes:

Spoiler

I did consider having an A-Support where the three go to Remire Village after Chapter 8, and the three focus on finding mementos for the survivors. I really like the idea of there being another full C-A pre-timeskip support, but I decided that I wanted this to be a happier, harsher-in-hindsight type of support. Those are a bit more fun to write.

There was also the idea of making a support that took place after the Battle of the Eagle and the Lion, after the feast and after the talk with Byleth. The three house leaders would get together and help the servants clean the dining hall. There was going to be some dialogue variation, depending on which house won and who which house Byleth picked, but I decided against it. The main reason was because it's late where I am, I'm tired, and I have a drive in the morning. A smaller reason was because I didn't want to create too long a support chain. I wanted just enough stuff to happen for the leaders to feel like they're bonding, but not so much that they're the tightest of friends. With the supports complete, the timing doesn't work either. The B-Support needs to be completed before the chapter after the Battle of the Eagle and the Lion. That'd make it that I'd have to push back the C and B-Supports a few chapters, and that would be very hard for newcomers to complete. So if you'd like, consider it a C+ Support of sorts.

If it wasn't clear, the monster in question was a bear. They found it super early and Dimitri pretty much solo'd it. In the B-Support, searching by Remire Village was Dimitri's idea, and he more or less charged off on his own. Claude backed him up since he didn't think going alone was wise, and Dedue wasn't around when Dimitri figured it out. 

Ending on Edelgard's carefree laughter wasn't where the support originally ended. The original ending was going to be with Edelgard saying "let's enjoy this moment," and the rest would have been a "this is what happens right after" in the Author's Notes section, but I thought it was too heartwarming to be left out. Any chances I see to make Edelgard laugh that also feel somewhat in-character, I'm going to take! 

Speaking of Edelgard, she and Dimitri don't spat a lot during these supports. It's fine and all, but I do wonder if due to an incorrect perception of them that I have, and it's getting in the way. To me, Claude and Edelgard simply have easier buttons to push with each other in a group dynamic than Dimitri does; most of my attempts end up making Dimitri look like a lovesick schoolboy than a respectible peer. Not sure how to fix that just yet, but I guess it's fine. And yeah, she really wouldn't have gone off on her own, or at least without telling Hubert, but I'd just hand-wave it away by saying she chose a weekend he would be away assassinating someone or something like that. He and Byleth (regardless of which house Byleth is teaching) would be the first two to arrive in the morning. Dedue would arrive either shortly after or with them as well. Hilda would sleep in.

The use of bear meat wasn't entirely planned, but there always was a meal involved. When I started typing, that was part of the A support, but moving it up worked a lot better. It's also a nice allusion to Lissa, Chrom, Robin, and Frederick's first few chapters in Fire Emblem Awakening. There's something pure about the idea of people, sitting around a campfire and getting to know each other (even if it's not that fun in real life), and I wanted a bit of that here. 

I tried to strike a solid balance between OOC and in-character. Hopefully I achieved it. 

Manuela and Hanneman's parts in the C-Support were far larger than originally intended, but that's fine. I needed them to give exposition, but having them spat a little was just me having fun. 

The Crest abilities stuff is something that's only mentioned a couple times in the game, and I wanted to expand on it here, giving it some clever - if not ultimately bittersweet - foreshadowing. Claude's stuff was me playing with some fun potential head-canon, while Edelgard's gives me a way to explain Jeralt and Rhea's lifespan. Rhea has been around the church for decades but hasn't really aged. Saying that it's an ability of the Crest of Seiros would erase suspicion. For Edelgard, this would trick first-time players into thinking that she's trying to become an immortal emperor of sorts...and then you find out about her condition. What a cruel irony...hehehe....

And Remire Village is anything but blessed. Heck, if this was in the game, I'd believe that Edelgard's growing attachment to this place is why Solon would choose that specific village for his experiment. 

Overall, this was supposed to be a shorter more bitter support stretched out over three parts that I fit into two, longer supports that end on a pretty happy note. And that was the right call to make. 

Constance/Dedue 

Recommended Song: "No Judgement" by Niall Horan

Spoiler

C-Support 

Spoiler

Dedue: ...

Dedue: No good. I will have to start over. 

*Constance walks by*

Constance: Dedue! What might you be doing this fine morning? Enjoying the flowers?

Dedue: Gardening.

Constance: Gardening? The sun has yet to rise. Why must you start so early?

Dedue: Many aspects of gardening benefit from an early start. Besides, waking up before His Majesty allows me to assist him better. 

Constance: Ever so loyal...what I wouldn't give for a servant of my own!

Constance: ...Oh! Oh my Goddess! Forgive my words, Dedue! I did not mean to imply - 

Dedue: It is fine. I am used to it. If you will excuse me, the sun is rising. 

*Dedue leaves*

Constance: Cursed my thoughtless words! Whatever can I do to make it up to him...

Constance: Oh! I know!

C+ Support

Spoiler

Dedue: What...how is this possible...?

Constance: Do you like it?

Dedue: Constance? What did you do?

Constance: I revived your flowers! After you left, I noticed how some of them were looking a little down on their luck. So I used a little Nuvelle magic, and now they're right as rain. 

Dedue: I did not know magic could be used in such a way. Thank you. 

Constance: For Constance von Nuvelle, this is nothing!

B-Support

Spoiler

Dedue: Constance.

Constance: Ah, Dedue! Care to join me? I dried some of the flowers you sent me and made a delectable tea out of them.

Dedue: I am fine. 

Constance: Suit yourself.

*Constance sips her tea*

Dedue: I would like to hire you.

*Constance spits out her tea and coughs*

Constance: I beg your pardon?

Dedue: You have the ability to help grow flowers and other plants. I have seen it. I would like to hire you to do so again someday.

Constance: If it is a small amount, a simple "thank you" would suffice...although passing on a good word to your prince would not go unnoticed either. 

Dedue: No. My idea is larger. I would like to cover a vast amount of land in flowers. 

Constance: *tiny, squeaky voice* ...oh...

Dedue: I am aware that this will take considerable funds, and I am willing to pay. 

*Dedue hands a bag of money to Constance*

Dedue: This is the first payment.

Constance: The first?! Of how many? How much money is this?! 

Dedue: I will send payments once a month. 

Constance: Where did you get the money?

Dedue: His majesty insists that I take a payment for my dedication. It is his wish, so I do not refuse. Please let me know if you need extra funding.

*Dedue turns to leave*

Constance: Wait! Why are you doing this?

Dedue: ...I have heard of your desire to rebuild your house. You need a patron, and I have a request. Our goals align. Is there anything else?

Constance: Magic needs subjects, and there are many flowers out there. How will I know which ones are the correct ones?

Dedue: I will send the flowers I desire you to use your magic on, and samples of the soil. If that is all.

*Dedue leaves*

Constance: ...is he gone...? YesyesYES! This may be but one small step for magic, but is one giant leap for House Nuvelle!

B+ Support

Spoiler

*Dedue is gardening*

*Constance walks in*

Constance: Dedue! There you are!

Dedue: Is there a problem?

Constance: There most certainly is! The flowers! You keep sending them! And to my workplace no less! Have you no decency? A woman's workplace is akin to a woman's heart!

Dedue: I thought you needed subjects. Those are the flowers - 

Constance: Yes, yes, those are the flowers you want me to use my magic on. But you keep sending them in bouquets!

Dedue: It is efficient. 

Constance: It is embarrassing! People are starting to think I have a paramour! 

Dedue: I see. But is that not a good thing?

Constance: I beg your pardon?

Dedue: I am not familiar with Fodlan's court, but I have lived near His Highness for some time. Does not the illusion of a paramour mean you are sought after? And the constant flowers mean they are wealthy enough to avoid such things? Would this not help raise your standing among the nobles and make you a woman to be sought after, if someone else so wealthy already seeks you out?

Constance: *shocked (Pikachu) face*

Constance: ...why...when you put it like that...I guess I can tolerate it for a little while longer. 

Constance: Thank you for your assistance in explaining this manner, as well as with your subjects. 

Dedue: I look forward to the results. 

A-Support

Spoiler

*Constance is gardening*

Constance: And you silly, stubborn, roots! Aha! Yes!

Dedue: Constance?

Constance: Ah! Dedue! ...what a surprise to see you here...

Dedue: Why are you gardening by hand? Is not magic more effective?

Constance: In many cases, yes. But as I worked on our deal, I realized that I had never tried gardening by hand. And you were gone, and there was no one left to take care of

the plants here, so...

Dedue: I see...thank you. 

Constance: For Constance von Nu - no, wait! Disregard that! I am terribly upset with you!

Dedue: ??

Constance: You disappeared in the middle of the second most trying time in my life! I heard about your "noble" sacrifice! How am I supposed to rebuild my house without your patronage?

Dedue: I talked this over with His Majesty over five years ago - even if I die, the patronage will not stop until your task is complete. And so long as His Majesty is alive, he would honor that deal. 

Constance: If that is what it must be...

Constance: Flowers.

Dedue: I'm sorry?

Constance: Flowers! I will require more flowers than before to make up for your errant sacrifice and the time it cost us. I will need flowers of all kinds - for a comparison, you see! 

Dedue: I understand. 

Constance: And one last thing. 

Dedue: Yes?

Constance: I need an honest answer. Why do you need so many flowers?

Dedue: ...after the late King Lambert was assassinated, much of Duscur was burned and salted. No flowers grow there. I did not believe anything could change that, so I simply focused my efforts into preserving what little of my homeland I could, here in this greenhouse. 

Constance: Oh...

Dedue: But then I saw your magic, and I realized that something could be done. Even if it I didn't live to see it, I knew that you could cover Duscur in flowers once more. 

Constance: ...Dedue...

Dedue: If that is all, I must start working on acquiring those flowers you ask for. 

A+ Support

Spoiler

Dedue: Constance.

Constance: Dedue! Did you hear the good news? I'm almost done with the spell! It will take some time yet, but...that look on your face says you aren't here for the good news.

Dedue: I saw flowers outside of your workspace. Rare flowers. 

Constance: Ah...yes, those were from a suitor...

Constance: Ever since you started sending me all of those flowers, I have been receiving requests for marriage arrangements and propositions nonstop! It's quite exhausting, really. 

Dedue: I understand. I will send seeds from now on. 

Constance: Seeds? Why seeds?

Dedue: I do not want to interfere with your suitors or any potential plans you may make. Excuse me. 

*Dedue starts to leave*

Constance: Dedue, wait!

*Dedue stops and turns around*

Constance: Do you see any flowers from the suitors here?

Dedue: I do not. 

Constance: No, because I do not accept them in my workspace. I will not accept them when I am so full...with flowers already. 

Dedue: Are you sure? I cannot imagine how receiving flowers from a man of Duscur at this time will be beneficial to your image. 

Constance: No! I want them! 

Constance: ...

Dedue: If that is the case, I will keep sending them. However, it may be prudent rearrange our deal. 

Constance: In time. But for now, turn around and sit with me. I want you to explain to me all of the flowers and what they mean to Duscur. 

Constance: Come Dedue, enjoy the flowers. 

Epilogue

Spoiler

After the war, Constance was given permission and any request of land to revive House Nuvelle. She chose the heart of Duscur. Together with her husband Dedue, Constance brought innovation, reform, hope, and beauty to the land. Soon, Duscur was known thereafter as "the land of flowers." 

Author's Notes

Spoiler

Yeah, I ship them now. 

This one just spawned from me noting that Dedue doesn't have many romantic supports with nobles, especially that aren't from his house. And I LOVE Constance's S-Support art and overall confession, so I wanted to sort of mix the two. Constance has art with flowers and Dedue is all about flowers. What's not to love? Constance speaks in a pretty formal and archaic fashion (although not as archaic as Say'ri) while Dedue is often blunt and to the point, so that was really fun to play with. I also like the idea that Dedue is insanely rich because Dimitri pays him for being a vassal. It's sort of like Wayne from Mistborn Era 2 - both are incredibly rich and have NO idea what to do with their riches. 

I wanted to drop some hints about Constance's confession in an earlier support, so that's why the workplace line is there. It should also be obvious from her actions and the request for flowers in the A support that Constance cares for Dedue by this point. The final few lines in the A+ support happen too fast for me, but I'm fine with that overall. 

Looking back, I can see the benefit in combining the C-Support and C+ Support. It ends things on a happier note and they do flow better that way. However, I like keeping them separate for now.

Marianne/Manuela 

Recommend Song: "Wait For It" by Leslie Odom Jr. (from Hamilton) or "Toumei Girl" by Atarashii Gakkou!!

Requirements: Marianne must be chosen as the dancer for the White Heron Cup and she must win.

Spoiler

C-Support

Spoiler

Marianne: ...this is a bad idea, but I want to get better…

*Marianne knocks on a door*

Marianne: Professor Manuela?

Manuela: Whosit? Whatsit?

Marianne: It’s Marianne...I...I need to ask you a question…

Manuela: Donncomein…

Marianne: Come in? If you say so…

Manuela: EEEEEK!

Marianne: AAAAAH!

*Fade to black and transition later*

Manuela: Well, that was a turn of events…

Manuela: Marianne, forgive my, ah, previous state.

Marianne: No, it’s my fault for bothering you. I’m sorry…

Manuela: No, no, it’s my fault.

Marianne: No, I must insist - 

Manuela: *winking* And insist all day long you can, but I assume you came to ask me for something other than room cleaning advice....speaking of, let’s ah, not tell anyone about the vase...or the floor...or my mirror... 

Marianne: Right…

Manuela: Is it about boys?

Marianne: *blushing* B-boys!? I...ah…

Manuela: I’m teasing you, dear. What did you really need me for?

Marianne: My dancing isn’t that good, so I was...I was wondering if you could tutor me...I’m sorry, I’m sure you have better things to do!

Manuela: Absolutely!

Marianne: I knew it, I’m a burden…

Manuela: What? No! I mean, I’d absolutely love to help you with your dancing! Your performance at the White Heron Cup was breathtaking! So fragile, as if you would break with a touch. And yet, such grace!

Marianne: Oh!

Manuela: Yes, yes...let me get my gear, and some quills and ink, and we’ll meet for your lessons soon! Oh, it’s been so long since I had a protégé! Little Dorothea may need to watch out, because when I’m done with you, kings and nobles will be lining up to see you dance! 

C+ Support

Spoiler

Manuela: ...and turn, and flourish!

Marianne: …

Manuela: And that’s how it’s done. Any questions?

Manuela: Marianne? Sweetie, you came to me for dancing tips, but I can’t help you if you don’t speak up.

Marianne: I’m sorry!

*Marianne runs off*

Manuela: Well that was an experience. Usually I scare men away, not children...

B-Support: MUST BE COMPLETED BEFORE THE FINAL BATTLE IN PART 1 (CHAPTER 12)

Spoiler

Manuela: Marianne! There you are!

Manuela: I heard that you tried to turn in your dancing wardrobe!

Marianne: I’m sorry...but I just can’t do this. This was a mistake. I can’t dance like you or Dorothea. It’s better if I quit now…

Manuela: You… 

Manuela: *sighs*

Manuela: That’s your choice Marianne. I’m sure your professor understands.

Manuela: ...s/he does know, doesn’t s/he?

Manuela: Oh child, come here…

Marianne: No! I’m bad luck!

Manuela: I’ve dealt with harsher worlds than what a little luck like yours can bring me, now come here.

*Marianne and Manuela hug*

*Marianne stifles a sob*

Manuela: Marianne, your professor chose you for that contest for a reason, and rightfully so. You won, child. You were chosen not only by your professor, but a panel of judges. 

Marianne: But I’m - 

Manuela: Cursed? I don’t think a single person here thinks that, and trust me, I know cursed. A pretty young thing like you cursed...ah, youth…

Marianne: I’m still not as good as you or Dorothea…

Manuela: Marianne, young Dorothea and I were professionals. Our lives depended on our skills, and we had to train day-in and day-out for those skills. Yours didn’t - you’re not a professional, and that’s fine, dear. 

Marianne: So I’ll never be as good?

Manuela: ...can I let you in on a little secret?

Marianne: I guess…

Manuela: You’re a natural. 

Marianne: *Shocked [Pikachu] Expression*

Manuela: I’ve only seen the talent for dancing you innately possess a rare handful of times. Marianne, with a little practice you can become a wonderful dancer. 

Marianne: I...I’m not sure I can, but thank you Professor Manuela. I…I think I’ll keep this outfit a little longer. 

Manuela: Good girl. Here are some notes I wrote for you to study when I’m not there to guide you - apologies on the wine stains. Now, off to class with you!

*Marianne leaves*

Manuela: But dancing is more than just the uniform and the routine.

*Manuela sighs*

Manuela: Professor (Byleth), I leave the rest to you. Treat her well and keep her safe. Keep them all safe...

A-Support:

Spoiler

Marianne: ...and flourish!

Manuela: Excellent! Bravo!

Marianne: Ah! Professor Manuela?!

Manuela: Great job, dear! What a beautiful routine. 

Marianne: It’s not per-...no...thank you, Professor Manuela. 

Manuela: ...these five years have treated you well. Tough, but fair. 

Manuela: Your dancing...it exudes sorrow and longing, but the desire to continue fighting...such strength. Marianne, it was wonderful. 

Marianne: Thank you Professor Manuela. I couldn’t have done it without your training and notes. 

Manuela: And there’s more, isn’t there...who do you think about when you dance?

Marianne: Who do I think about? 

*Marianne blushes heavily*

Manuela: I knew it! It’s [Insert Closest Unit Here*] isn’t it?

Marianne: I...I-I-

Manuela: *winking* Ah, love...no matter, don’t worry, I’ll keep a secret between gals!

Marianne: I still have one problem...my dancing...it feels fake. I can’t describe it, but it’s like - 

Manuela: That woman on stage isn’t really you? Like you’re watching your body go through the motions and feelings of a stronger person?

Marianne: ...yes.

Manuela: Then you’ve learned the final secret. 

Manuela: Marianne, we’re performers. When we sing or dance - when we’re on that stage, no matter the true location - it’s not our feelings that matter, but how we make the audience feel. It’s great if we can feel the feelings we emote, but it’s not necessary either. It’s alright to be scared, or sad, or tired. We all feel that. But we must never let our audience see that. They come to us to laugh and cry and feel human. To feel peace. That’s what we must give them, if only for a time. 

Marianne: It’s so tough at times…

Manuela: The burdens of kings and stages...but there’s one extra secret. 

Marianne: There is?

Manuela: Yes. Marianne, that stronger person you see? That’s you. You are her, graceful and beautiful, standing tall. But you are also the young woman who feels all the emotions the dancer cannot show. 

Manuela: It’s not an either-or situation, dear Marianne. You are both. 

Marianne: I…

*Marianne hugs Manuela*

Marianne: Thank you, Professor Manuela. For everything. 

Manuela: Oh, child…

Manuela: Enough of that! Your dancing has improved, but can you clean a room yet?

Marianne: Professor! That was so long ago!

Manuela: And my room still hasn’t recovered! Come now, I’m sure the one you dance for will adore you even more if you learn how to tidy up!

Marianne: Professor!

*See Extra Note Below

Extra Note

Spoiler

If her closest person is 

Dimitri - "Prince Dimitri, isn't it? Two lost souls, finding their way in this world, how romantic! And didn't I tell you that kings would be begging for your attention?"

Claude - "Your former house leader isn't it? A dashing young rebel leader and an inspirational but slightly-closed-off noble, I can hear the songs now! All we need is a sheltered youth who dreams of bigger things...ah, but back to your love life - didn't I tell you that nobles would be begging for your attention?"

Byleth - "The Professor, isn't it! Oh! A former student and teacher romance, how romantic! And how scandalous! But he's done so much for you, it's only natural. And don't worry, I've seen the way he looks at you."

Hanneman - Manuela will default to the second-highest person. 

Hilda - "Lady Hilda, isn't it! Why Marianne, I didn't expect this of you! But here you are, always surprising me. I wish you nothing but joy, dear child."

Author's Note

Spoiler

About a week or so ago, I realized that I couldn't find the right OT3 theming for Marianne/Shamir/Byleth, but figured maybe I could figure out something for Marianne/Manuela/Byleth. That idea gave birth to Manuela mentoring Marianne. Fortunately I can't really see how to...guide this into an OT3, and I'm pretty happy with that at this moment.* 

The C+ Support started as the C-Support, but then I realized I really wanted to see Marianne enter Manuela's room and the hijinks that may occur between two terrible cleaners. I ultimately ended up simply alluding to the event in the C-Support and the A-Support, and made the real C-Support focused on Marianne asking Manuela to tutor her. (If it's not clear, after stumbling into Manuela's room and the rude awakening, Marianne blames part of the mess on her reaction and tries to clean up Manuela's room. She ends up breaking Manuela's vase and mirror somehow.)  The "flourish" in the C+ Support was a WandaVision reference. It felt more natural than "voila" might - I don't want a Mistborn "Hat Trick" moment!

Marianne's depression and self-doubt was hard to accurately write, and I'm not sure I did so. I tried to make it relevant without it being too overbearing or annoying. To me that meant addressing it from Manuela's perspective. Manuela doesn't really see Marianne's self-doubt until the B-Support, which is why she initiates the hug - she sees that Marianne needs confidence, but can't really do anything about it until the girl herself believes in herself. 

Marianne is still struggling to overcome this in the A-Support, but she's made great strides, something that even the game points out. Instead of automatically rejecting the compliment, Marianne accepts it, even stopping herself from some self-disparaging remark. That's progress from the B-Support even! It's the small steps.   

Marianne's talent at being dancing is more of a fun allusion to Marianne being a fan-favorite pick for the dancer class. That's also why Marianne has to be a Dancer for this support to be unlocked.

Manuela's mentioning of Marianne's love life wasn't really planned, but it wouldn't be Manuela if we didn't mention it, so I felt somewhat assured with adding it here. Hopefully it wasn't as overbearing as I feel it can be at times. I wanted to call special attention to some of the more popular picks for Marianne's love life as well, so that's why they get special mentions. And yes, Manuela's remark on Claude is a Star Wars reference. The mechanic doesn't guarantee or canonize any romance for Marianne one way or another, it's just a fun addition that I feel shippers may like. But now it's making me think about what an Edelgard/Marianne support would look like...**

I also really like the idea of class or event-exclusive supports, so long as they don't ruin anything. Marianne's support with Manuela being locked behind a class she's likely to be chosen for anyways was a small one, and I don't think going too much larger would be a good idea. Maybe a small one between Seteth and Claude if Claude goes the Wyvern Rider route. I also really like the idea of these supports unlocking fun skills or bonuses for the units involved, not unlike the Lovers Conversations in Genealogy, or the very few parent/child supports the characters have. I can easily imagine a three-way conversation between Felix, Ingrid, and Sylvain, where if the units are in the Mortal Savant, Falcon Knight, and Dark Knight classes respectively, Felix gets a boost to his speed and Ingrid gains the ability use magic in her Falcon Knight class. Or having Ingrid, Marianne, and Petra all learning the Triangle Attack if they're all in the Falcon Knight class. And maybe for Dorothea and Marianne, if you somehow rig the game to make Dorothea the Black Eagles' White Heron Cup pick, and Marianne is the Golden Deer one, but you're the teacher of either unit, and they have the exact same charisma, both can become dancers. Then they unlock a C-B-A (non-romantic) support with each other. But then the question becomes why NOT do these options...hmm...***

Anyways, back to the breakdown. The dancing practice reminds me of the Azura-Soleil support last year. I knew that'd be the case, but I'm fine with it. The characters and their dynamics are completely different, so it's a surface level parallel at best. Although in my mind these two supports happen in the same universe. It almost makes me want to make an Azura-Manuela support or an Azura-Dorothea one. 

One of the few things I wish I could have added was Marianne feeling like the woman dancing wasn't really her, and she wasn't sure how to connect the two. But I feel like what I have works just as well, if not better, and I'm fine with that. There's also the lack of them both being white magic users, but that's also fine. 

I chose to leave the epilogue a little ambiguous as to whether Marianne and Manuela's relationship is mentor-mentee, a sisterhood, or romantic. The smile can go any way, and I'd rather leave it to the readers to decide. Next up I'll noodle on that Byleth/Manuela (or maybe Marianne)/Mercedes idea while continuing to noodle on the Edelgard/Rhea support (it still needs work) and a Dimitri/Dorothea support. No promises I'll actually finish and/or write any of these, they're simply ideas to doodle on. 

*I really like Manuela and Byleth's ending paragraph though, so maybe I'll end up working out that Byleth/Dorothea/Manuela OT3 someday after all. I'd really like it to be Byleth/Manuela/a non-Dorothea person in order to balance out the Byleth/Dimitri/Dorothea one above (and the Byleth/Edelgard/Dorothea one in my head), but I can't think of a proper person. Maybe Byleth/Manuela/Shamir or Byleth/Manuela/Mercedes...hmm...I can almost see that second one...) 

**I imagine Edelgard would confront Marianne about her crest, and Marianne would run away, citing how it's bad luck to be around her. During CF, Edelgard would ask if Marianne still believes she's bad luck. Marianne would answer "yes," and Edelgard would send Marianne behind enemy lines as sabotage and infiltration. During their A-Support, Marianne would stand up to Edelgard, saying that she now values her life and isn't bad luck. Edelgard would smile and acquiesce. Later, Edelgard would either be confronted by Byleth (if this goes the OT3 route) or Hubert, who would then theorize that Edelgard sent Marianne on these missions because she believed in Marianne's skill, and was hoping that Marianne herself would recognize that skill and gain a will to live. 

***If this was taking place in my ideal version of the game, where the Fates 2nd Gen lived in this world, then I think the tradeoff would be Azura as a unit. Players can only get two Dancers per game max, so it's either Dorothea and Marianne (or Annette, Felix, Sylvain, or Ingrid. Maybe.) or the winner of the White Heron Cup and Azura. Azura would still be an NPC, but she wouldn't be a Dancer, and one wouldn't be able to build supports with her as easily. 

Dimitri/Dorothea

Recommended Song: N/A

Spoiler

C-Support

Spoiler

Dimitri: Dorothea, may I bother you for a moment? 

Dorothea: Prince Dimitri! To what do I owe the pleasure?

Dimitri: You’re close with the several of the members of the Blue Lions, are you not?

Dorothea: I would say I have friends among your house, yes, but I know people in every house.

Dimitri: I see. Do you often share make-up tips with other members like you do with Mercedes? Or tease other members like you do with Ingrid? Or follow other knights and nobles like you do with Felix? Or scoff at Sylvain's advances?

Dorothea: Prince Dimitri, has anyone told you that you’re quite observant? A girl can get used to such attention!

Dimitri: I have not, so thank you for the compliment. However…

Dorothea: Yes?

Dimitri: ...it’s nothing. I just ask that you treat them as you would any friend. And if their antics become too much, please let me know, along with our professor. 

Dorothea: My Ingrid is a dear friend, as is Mercedes. 

Dimitri: Good to know. If you’ll excuse me. 

*Dimitri leaves*

Dorothea: ...knights and nobles are one thing, but a prince? 

C+ Support

Spoiler

Dimitri: Excuse me Dorothea, do you have a moment?

Dorothea: Prince Dimitri? To what do I owe the pleasure? 

Dimitri: Heh, isn’t this a familiar greeting? I came to ask about your use of the sword.

Dorothea: Excuse me?

Dimitri: I saw you playing with some of the orphans from the surrounding area, and I noticed your swordplay was different. 

Dorothea: Did the high and noble Prince Dimitri see something wrong with it?

Dimitri: Not at all! It was spectacular. Your movements were so lithe and precise. Your strikes used your opponent’s momentum against them. I could tell that much even when you were just playing. It was mesmerizing. 

Dorothea: Men sure do love their swords, don’t they? 

Dimitri: An astute observation. To those who use them, swords are an extension of self, are they not? 

Dimitri: But that brings me to my main request. Would you do me the honors of sparring? I would very much like to see your style firsthand. Ah, but I don't want to feel like I am unjustly imposing on you...

Dorothea: And I get the undivided attention of the Prince?

Dimitri: Along with a free meal at any restaurant you desire, at any time. It would be unfair to offer nothing else.

Dorothea: The prince, dinner, and a fight with his sword...oh the fun I can have with this...very well, Your Highness!

B-Support

Spoiler

*Swords clash*

Dimitri: Let’s stop for a moment. 

Dorothea: Agreed. Say, Prince Dimitri?

Dimitri: Yes?

Dorothea: Do you ever imagine what your future wife will look like? How beautiful or skilled she will be?

Dimitri: That...is not what I was expecting. I cannot say that I have. 

Dorothea: Oh?

Dimitri: My kingdom is one that needs strength and fortitude more than it needs beauty at this time. 

Dorothea: But surely you would want someone attractive to be around, yes?

Dimitri: Attraction is in the eye of the beholder, and like most things, beauty fades with time. Although, I can’t imagine myself growing old enough to experience the joy of growing old with someone else...

Dorothea: *Shocked (Pikachu) face*

Dimitri: Ah, apologies for such a sobering response. I can’t imagine that being you wanted to hear.

Dorothea: There is nothing wrong! I don’t think there was a wrong answer, but it also wasn’t what I was expecting. Especially from the future King of Faerghus!

Dimitri: I see...Dorothea, I think I am beginning to understand why my classmates value you so. But that’s enough of a break. Guard up!

B+ Support

Spoiler

Dorothea: Prince Dimitri! 

Dimitri: Ah, Dorothea. I apologize about the mess we made the other day. How are you faring?

Dorothea: Attentive and caring! It warms my heart to hear that. Are you free tonight? If I remember correctly, you promised a dinner at any place I desire, and I know just the place!

Dimitri: That I did. Very well. Give me the name and I will meet you there tonight.

*Transition*

Chef: Ah, Dorothea, welcome back! It’s rare to see you here twice in one week.

Dorothea: It’s a special occasion. Where is the head chef? 

Chef: She’s out today. But don’t worry, we’ve all been trained on the Dorothea Special. I'll get right on it!

Dorothea: *to herself* Not trained well enough I see. 

Dimitri: You come here often?

Dorothea: It’s a restaurant I like when I’m feeling down. 

Dimitri: ...the prices here aren’t one a commoner can usually afford. 

Dorothea: True, but being the former star of the Mittlefrank Opera does allow one for some luxuries. 

Dimitri: And the hatred? Is that a luxury allowed?

Dorothea: Hate-hatred? What do you mean?

Dimitri: Your lines, your smile... they’re perfect...as if practiced in the mirror every day. There is no spark in your eyes when you talk with me or when I’ve seen you flirt. No joy...and today, you’ve been acting weird. Not like the woman I saw sharing secrets with Mercedes or Ingrid, or the woman I see talking to Caspar or Manuela. No...this is a façade.

Dorothea: You know, a girl might not want so much attention.

Dimitri: My apologies. I was simply curious about one who spent so much time around my friends.

Dorothea: ...Are you going to tell everyone? I’ll have you know I’m used to watching my back. 

Dimitri: This is not my secret to share, nor is it my place to question your life or judge such matters. Besides, I may be more of a kindred spirit than you think. 

Dorothea: Thank you for...assurance Prince Dimitri, but what has the world of nobility accost you that you think you may be a kindred spirit to me?

Dimitri: ...I understand. Please forgive my presumption.

A-Support

Spoiler

Dimitri: …

Dorothea: ...Prince Dimitri?

Dimitri: Hm…? Oh Dorothea. I’m sorry, I was simply reminiscing…

Dorothea: Care to share your thoughts?

Dimitri: I have simply come to realize that I missed out on so many things these past few months, not to mention these past five years. I...I don’t know my friends anymore. I look at them and hear familiar voices coming from the mouths of strangers. I want to get to know them again...

Dorothea: And you need help doing so?

Dimitri: That would be falling back on old patterns. No, Edelgard has shown me that if I want to do something like this, I must find the strength and courage to do it myself. 

Dorothea: At least one decent thing has come out of this war. 

Dimitri: Too few of things for the price...but it is actually you who I wanted to get to know first. 

Dimitri: Dorothea, you’ve changed. 

Dorothea: And you haven’t? Prince Dimitri, this war has changed everyone. All I have left is thorns.

Dimitri: I don’t believe that. 

Dorothea: Someone believing in me again? Maybe this war has changed a few things for the better.  

Dimitri: I don’t presume to understand all of the difficulties you’ve faced, but I am one who has walked a path similar to yours. The sun will shine again Dorothea, and even roses can bloom again. 

A+ Support

Spoiler

Dimitri: Ah, Dorothea, there you are!

Dorothea: Dimitri, did you need me? 

Dimitri: *singing* Reach for my hand, we’ll soar away!

Dorothea: What.

Dimitri: *singing even worse* Faint lights pass through colored glass, In this beloved place

Dorothea: *laughing* Oh no!

Dimitri: *somehow singing even worse* I look to you, like a red rose, seeking the light-

Dorothea: *laughing uncontrollably* Dimitri! Dimitri, please stop! 

Dimitri: *blushing*

Dorothea: That *wheeze* was *wheeze* terrible! 

Dimitri: What?

Dorothea: Dimitri, you are a terrible singer! Gods, I hope no one heard that. 

Dimitri: I..I apologize. I only meant to rekindle your spirits. 

Dorothea: Dimitri…thank you. That is exactly what I needed. 

Dimitri: Dorothea, please believe me when I say that we are alike. I too know what it’s like to lose hope, to feel as if the world has swallowed you up and spit you out. To feel used and tired. To not know why you still breathe.

Dorothea: …

Dimitri: But we also are here. We can learn to live again, to laugh again…

Dimitri: *blushing* to love again. 

Dorothea: And what about the world? What about those who will fight who we want to become?

Dimitri: Let them challenge us. We’ve come this far, let us not back down now. 

Dorothea: *blushing* You know, a girl can get used to such support. 

Epilogue:

Spoiler

Soon after Dimitri was crowned, he asked Dorothea to be his wife and queen. Dorothea gladly accepted. Due to Dorothea's fame and connections, the pairing faced surprisingly little controversy. Even still, Dorothea shied away from the the political scene, instead using her experience and insight into commoner life help inform her husband's decisions. The commoners of Fodlan loved their new queen, and the couple had a happy, long life, full of laughter, children, and operas at all times of the day. 

Author's Notes:

Spoiler

I have an OT3 F!Byleth/Dimitri/Dorothea Support written as well, and I actually wrote it before I wrote this one. I talk a bit about it below.

This support was one of the hardest I've written. Dorothea's voice was off the entire time. I couldn't nail her sardonic-yet-still-flirty tone for a long time, and it's still far from perfect. Before it was too much like Charlotte - Dorothea was too overtly flirty and fawning over Dimitri in a way we really don't see her do. It didn't feel authentic (although we don't really see her truly flirt with anyone besides Byleth to a small degree and Felix). So I toned it down and turned the flirts into innuendos. It's not perfect, but I hope its truer to who Dorothea is. I'm not sure Dimitri caught all of the innuendos, but he's respectful enough to let the ones he did notice slide, even if he doesn't intentionally play along. 

In the C+ Support, the "the fun I can have with this" is more of Dorothea thinking to herself about how she can tease Mercedes and Ingrid with the phrasing and whatnot. It's nothing too insidious. 

In the B-Support Dorothea is clearly leading Dimitri on, and is actually lying about there being a correct answer for her. Granted, I don't think she'd believe him if he answered "no, beauty and status don't matter!" Dimitri's answer is one of practicality and a little fatalistic. The frankness of the answer definitely surprises Dorothea. 

The B+ Support was one I had pictured for a long time too. Dorothea is a character with a lot of anger and fear underneath the surface, not unlike Sylvain. Here I wanted to address that to a degree, and I think Dimitri is one of the few characters that is both brave (and stupid) enough to do so head-on. He saw this in Dorothea, and then saw her interact with his friends. That's why he was curious about her. In the B support, after seeing a bit of what his friends see in Dorothea, Dimitri decided it was time to bring that hatred up. It was hard making Dimitri feel attentive without making him feel too creepy. Dorothea's comments about it (going from flirty to unnerved to affection) hopefully helped, but I'm not sure...

(If you're curious about why Dimitri doesn't see the same hatred in Sylvain, I think it's because he and Sylvain aren't as close as they were in the past, and because Dimitri has a not-so-small blind-spot for the few ties to the past he has. He doesn't look past who he has always known Sylvain to be because in doing so would be to lose the Sylvain he knows and cares about. The same is true for Ingrid. Felix is different, but that shouldn't be a surprise, given who Felix is...)

The conversations in the A-Support and A+ Support have been in my head for a LONG time. I always knew Dimitri would end the support singing to a jaded Dorothea in an attempt to cheer her up. Originally the song was going to be "Lost In Thoughts, All Alone," but I decided "Edge of Dawn" would be sweeter. It gives new context to the song as well, since now it's no longer exclusively about Edelgard. It also means I don't have to make up a song, and I'm all for shortcuts in this case!

The sword-fighting aspect of the support came from a fan-fic that showed off some shipping dynamics between the pair. It was really sweet and I really enjoyed it. I didn't want to rip the fic off wholesale, but I also didn't want to try and force it in here if it didn't fit. So I compromised and used that core idea as a building block to move the story where I felt it needed to go. 

https://archiveofourown.org/works/28833858

Another hard part was the retroactive nature of these supports. I had to reference the OT3 stuff a lot and figure out how to fit in without ruining the flow of either support. I wanted them all to feel connected while also feeling complete when they are separate. That's easy for the in-game supports, but it's a LOT harder for the ones I'm making, especially when the OT3 is the endgame. In a few ways it felt like making a Cosmere novel or an MCU movie. 

EXTRA NOTE ABOUT THE TRIO SUPPORTS AND OT3's

Spoiler

If I did add these in a game, there'd be a small mission to go along with them, like the squad stories in Valkyria Chronicles 4.

For the Claude/Dimitri/Edelgard mission, it'd be them going out to find the monster, taking down a giant beast, and reporting back to the villagers, who then claim that they didn't even know that the giant monster was roaming around - they were worried about something that's up in the mountains. The three would check it out, and they'd find it to be a bear. Deciding it was too late to head back down to the village, the three would camp for the night, leading into the second part of the C-Support. I'd also maybe toss in a line from Claude, depending if it's on the AM or VW routes, asking if Dimitri or Edelgard brought a treaty to look over for some light reading or a board-game to play respectively. Both would deny it, and note that their situation doesn't lend itself well to those sorts of frivolity. If it was CF, I'd have Dimitri offer up a post-meal sparring session, and Edelgard declining, stating that they need to save their energy for guard duty. 

For the unplanned and probably unwritten ones: 

Claude/Edelgard/Petra mission would involve either taking out a giant wolf, or defending one as she gives birth.

Marianne/Petra/Ingrid would involve defeating some poachers. 

F!Byleth/Dimitri/Dorothea would involve catching a thief who stole an expensive necklace from the opera troupe, and killing the mercenaries hired to obstruct you. 

Annette/Constance/Mercedes - No idea just yet.

And as a last fun add-on, here's an Awakening Support I made a while back. (It's so short! I love it!)

Aversa/Chrom Part 1

Spoiler

C-Support

Spoiler

Aversa: My lord! There you are!

Chrom: Ah, Aversa. What can I do for you?

Aversa: I believe the question is if there is anything I can do for you. 

Chrom: Hmm...I think I am good at this time.

Aversa: Are you sure? I'm willing to do anything. 

Chrom: Erm...nope. I think I'm still good. 

Aversa: *Gods, this man is dense.*

Chrom: What was that?

Aversa: Oh, I was just said "gods, I hope that man repents."

Chrom: Were you thinking about Gangrel?

Aversa: I-I was. I believe everyone deserves a chance to repent.

Chrom: Repenting won't save him from his actions, nor will it save the people that will die because of them. 

Chrom: Talking to me, thinking about...bah! My head is all muddled. I'm heading to the training grounds. Why don't you join me?

Aversa: Well...I did say I'd do anything for you...

B-Support

Spoiler

Robin: And that about covers it. I'll let you look over the rest. If you'll excuse me. 

*Robin leaves*

Chrom: Phew! I thought that would never end! 

Aversa: Robin certainly doesn't leave much to chance. I'm surprised how skilled your tactician is becoming. 

Chrom: You a part of the Shepherds now. S/He's your tactician too now. 

Aversa: Of course, my lord. 

Chrom: Speaking of tactics, your input was amazing!

Aversa: Your flattery humbles me. 

Chrom: Where did you learn such tactics?

Aversa: My mentor taught me everything. He was like a father to me. He saved me and saw my skill. He helped me bring it to its full potential. And then I caught Gangrel's eye, and that...well, he made sure my theories were backed up by practice. 

Chrom: ...

Aversa: The things I did, the people I've hurt, the families I've torn apart...

Chrom: They haunt you, don't they?

Aversa: ...

Chrom: I'd like to say things will get better, but I'm not sure I can promise that. 

Aversa: This is war, my little prince. Contrary to what the history books and peace treaties say, there are no winners, only victims. 

Chrom: That's why we need to end this as quickly and as painlessly as possible. But know this, Aversa, we are doing this for the right reason. You're on the right side now.

A-Support

Spoiler

Aversa: Ha!

Chrom: Ha!

*Clashing*

Aversa: My my, another broken lance. 

Chrom: Oh...sorry. 

Aversa: I must say, it's been a long time since someone has gotten through my defenses, especially on repeated tries. 

Chrom: Heh, what can I say? I don't give up. 

Aversa: That you don't...If that is all, my lord, I believe I require a nice, long soak. 

Chrom: I think you have the right idea. Care to go?

Aversa: My lord! Are you suggesting that we clean...together...?

Chrom: What? *blushing* No! I mean that wouldn't  - no, no NO! I was only trying to say we can walk over together!

Aversa: Heheheh. I must say, my little prince, you are so easy to tease. 

Chrom: I sort of have to admit, it's a little nice. 

Aversa: Oh?

Chrom: Many of the Shepherds don't tease me like you do. I mean, I'm not sure I'd want them to, but...well, every relationship is different. 

Aversa: Say, why don't we skip the sauna and go somewhere a little more...private?

Chrom: What do you have in mind?

Aversa: I know a nice lake that's perfect for late-night cleanses. And don't worry, I'll be sure to be a good girl and not turn around. Although I'm not sure I trust you not to peek.

Chrom: What? I wouldn't...oh, you're teasing me again! Very well, let me see that lake you like so much. 

S-Support

Spoiler

Chrom: Aversa, are you here?

Aversa: My lord! Can I help you with something?

Chrom: Ah, it was nothing. I just happened to be up, and was wondering what you were up to. 

Aversa: I was simply checking Robin's new tactics and making sure everything is ready for the next expedition. 

Chrom: I see. 

Aversa: But I've just about finished. Was there something you needed of me?

Chrom: I was wondering if you wanted to spar. Our last encounter was so exhilarating. I've never seen someone who could handle a spear such as you. 

Aversa: Careful, my little prince, people may start to get the wrong idea. 

Chrom: Maybe. Or maybe I'm telling you exactly what I mean. 

Aversa: Chrom...

Chrom: Aversa, I know we're two different people from two different worlds, but I love you. I love your mind, I love your strength - and not about your martial prowess, but the strength it took you to leave Gangrel and join our side. 

Chrom: I love the way you furrow your brow at tactics. I love your teasing. I love you. 

Aversa: Chrom...I'm not who you think I am...

Chrom: Aversa, you're the woman I love, that's all I need to know. Please, marry me. 

Aversa: ...no. 

Chrom: No?!

Aversa: Chrom, I love you. I don't know when or how it came to be, but I do. But I'm not...I cannot wear that crown. Please. I will be your paramour, but I cannot be your queen. 

Chrom: ...so be it. Then this ring will stay with me for now. But know that in my heart, you are just as beautiful with it as without it. 

Aversa: ...

After Chapter 11

Spoiler

Soon after defeating Gangrel, Chrom took the position of Exalt, and worked to rebuild his homeland. And soon after. 

Soldier: Sire, a messenger from Regna Ferox.

Chrom: See them in at once.

Soldier: Yes, milord.

(Soldier exits, Raimi enters)

Raimi: Prince Chrom, I come on behalf of Khan Regnant Flavia.

Chrom: Flavia? Well, this is a surprise. Is something amiss?

Raimi: I fear so, milord. The khan requests your presence at a summit as soon as you're able.

Chrom: What's happened?

Raimi: Our western neighbors of Valm are no longer acting so neighborly. The emperor, who they name the Conqueror, has launched warships against us.

Chrom: An invasion? Are you certain of this?

Raimi: Yes, milord. The khan hopes to meet with you in Ferox, if it please you.

Frederick: What do you make of this, sire?

Chrom: Ill business to be sure. Raimi, we will meet with Flavia at once...

Frederick: ...milord. 

Chrom: ...have there been any updates?

Frederick: We have searched all-throughout Ylisse. If Lady Aversa does not want to be found, there is a low likelihood that we will find her. 

*Baby Lucina CG*

Chrom: Lucina is still a newborn...she needs her mother. Lissa and I had Em, yes, but I wanted - I want Lucina to grow up with a family. 

Frederick: ...If I may, perhaps it is time to consider a wife?

Chrom: Frederick, Aversa is my partner. 

Frederick: For a time, yes, but she was not your wife. She refused to become so. There are many women who would love to be mother to such a lovely daughter. 

Chrom: Let's discuss this another time. For now, we have allies to help. 

After Chapter 13 (after the Hierophant reveal)

Spoiler

Chrom: Aversa!

Aversa: ...can I help you, Prince Chrom?

Chrom: Aversa...come home. 

Aversa: Come home? I am home. Plegia was always my home. 

Chrom: ...what about the time we spent together? What about our love?

Aversa: Love? Oh, silly little prince, I never loved you. I was a spy, sent to sabotage your tactics.

Chrom: And yet all you did was improve them.

Aversa: Or so you think. My King has plans, little prince. Plans beyond what you can imagine. 

Chrom: Will his plans make a better world for Lucina?

Aversa: !!!

Chrom: Come back Aversa. Your daughter needs you. 

Aversa: I suggest you return to your sheep. A flock without a leader is nothing more than food for wolves.

Chrom: ...

*Chrom leaves*

Aversa: ...Lucina...

Author's Notes

Spoiler

This all started a year or so ago, when I caught wind of this old project called the Rate That Character Xenologue. It basically went through every possible support and had the players rate the resulting children. The two that interested me the most at the time were Say'ri!Lucina and Aversa!Lucina. I think Aversa!Lucina would be an absolute blast of a unit. Say'ri!Lucina would almost be too OP, and I love it too. I'd love to make a support for them in the future as well, but working with Say'ri's archaic style of speaking is difficult for me. I also sort of want to make a Priam/Lissa support, if only to see what a Priam!Owain would be like. Hilarious, that's what! (Priam/Sumia would work as well.) 

In this Aversa/Chrom support, Aversa joins on the same chapter as Maribelle and Ricken. She'd actually "betray" Gangrel and join the Shepherds, freeing Maribelle and helping out Ricken. She'd work like a magical version of Frederick at this point in the game, where she can be useful for the whole game, but her XP growth rate is incredibly slow. Both Aversa and Say'ri would be romanced by Chrom in the first half of the game and disappear during the second half, allowing another woman to be romanced if the player so choses. This second woman would have her attached child with Chrom, while Lucina would be the daughter of Say'ri or Aversa. Later on, Chrom can reconnect with this women with new supports (I'm not sure how many just yet) and gain a child attached to them that way, or they can be romanced by Robin and have Morgan and their attached child that way. Say'ri would also probably have Virion as a romance option as well. 

I don't feel like there's much to say about this support. Aversa makes innuendos that Chrom learns to pick up on, she lies or misdirects Chrom, and ultimately leaves him. Aversa does love Chrom and Lucina by the end of things, but she also loves Validar and Grima more. Lucina's dialogue with her would be pretty sad, as you'd see a daughter not hold back against a mother who is torn between two loves. Ultimately, I make may make it so that Chrom or Lucina would have to strike the final blow to Aversa after become a family in order to unlock the Paralogue. ...or maybe that's a bit much, and it should stay as-is.

I don't know if I'll ever get to a Part 2, so don't expect it.