Did my brother technically cheat?

James Marshall

4 days ago my younger brother fell out with his friend over my brother allegedly cheating. Here's the info. What do you think?

The facts of the matter is that they'd agreed to play a battle in which niether of them used legendaries

The main problem is that his friend was of the opinion that because they didn't agree that Mythicals could be used that they couldn't be used, but my brother was of the opinion that because they didn't agree that Mythicals couldn't be used that they could be used

That's why my younger brother turned up for the game with A Team of Arceus, Keldeo, Celebi, Mew, Meloetta and Genesect, all of which he counts as Mythicals, his friend was furious, accused him of cheating and they've fell out. But what do you think?. Did my brother technically cheat?

Edited by James Marshall
Spotted a mistake

Legendary/mythical split is a matter of contention among the fanbase as mythical is a made up term. However anyone in their right mind should know that showing up to a match with a team including Mew and Arceus is... not exactly fair. I think it was a miscommunication but not worth having a falling out over. It's just pokemon. They need to have a conversation and in the future agree in more specific terms.

35 minutes ago, James Marshall said:

That's why my younger brother he turned up for the game with A Team of Arceus, Keldeo, Celebi, Mew, Meloetta and Genesect, all of which he counts as Mythicals, his friend was furious, accused him of cheating and they've fell out. But what do you think?. Did my brother technically cheat?

I dunno it depends. As far as smogon rules go bringing an uber to OU is not exactly fair. Every other pokemon your brother brought I think is fine except for arceus and maybe Genesect(a base 120 in both offensive stats with a typing like that in addition with its ability is a little much)  Hell meloetta is just straight up bad statistically.

23 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

However anyone in their right mind should know that showing up to a match with a team including Mew and Arceus

Arceus, yes, mew not really. I haven’t checked the tier lists recently but I think right now Mew is in OU I think. I don’t think it’s in uber atm. Personally I think bringing Genesect was worse than mew but ehh

1 hour ago, James Marshall said:

That's why my younger brother he turned up for the game with A Team of Arceus, Keldeo, Celebi, Mew, Meloetta and Genesect, all of which he counts as Mythicals, his friend was furious, accused him of cheating and they've fell out. But what do you think?. Did my brother technically cheat?

Yes, as Mythicals are a subset of legendaries.

"Hey mate let's have a battle without legendaries bec they're too OP alright?"

"Alright I'll just bring the pokemon god then who has the highest bst outside of mega evolutions. Let's have a fair match :D"

Edited by Gordin

I clicked on this thinking your younger brother cheated on their significant other. But nope, it's about Pokemon.

TBH, mythicals aren't legendaries BUT they're definitely up there with them. If someone told me "no legendaries", I would assume that included mythicals as well.

No, he didn't cheat. The rules weren't clear and better communication can be used. TBH, this isn't something to lose a friendship over. I don't know how old they are, but there's plenty of reasons to stop being friends with someone. Using OP pokemon in a match isn't one of them. Just have your little brother apologize and agree to not use mythicals next time.

Edited by Dandy Druid

Coming in with a team of mythicals when the agreement was "no legendaries" seems to go against the spirit of the agreement, if not the letter.

I think the more important question to ask is: "Did my brother bring these mostly overpowered Pokemon to the battle knowing that his friend most likely wouldn't?" Because if he did, then he took advantage of his friend's trust. And while it may just be Pokemon, that kind of mentality can make for a crappy friend. He should apologize, and in the future they need to write down a specific list of Pokemon that aren't allowed, and make a copy so they both have one.

Basically yeah. Dunno what the intent was from your brother but coming in with Mythical pokemon, which are a subset of Legendary pokemon, breaks the agreed upon rule.

Even if you throw out the term legendary and mythic pokemon out the window and just consider the context of not using "overpowered pokemon", the Arceus still works against your brother's case because that thing's been "Uber" and "Anything Goes" in the Generations it's available.

Dude should just apologize and the 2 should just work out a rematch either on the basis of tiers or filter out any questionable pokemon inclusion from his end.