Help a group of friends to find a FE Game for a "multiplayer" playthrough

PhoenixJam

Hello my friends.

It's been a while a group of friends want to play the same fire emblem game at the same time with each one controlling a character in the map, as if we were playing a D&D campaign.

We accept suggestions of which game to play, especially if there are any good modded roms with this purpose, since I personally don't know any.

Edited by PhoenixJam

3 hours ago, PhoenixJam said:

Hello my friends.

It's been a while a group of friends want to play the same fire emblem game at the same time with each one controlling a character in the map, as if we were playing a D&D campaign.

We accept suggestions of which game to play, especially if there are any good modded roms with this purpose, since I personally don't know any.

This sounds like a fun and cool time!

Are you planning to emulate, and stream it online? If so, I'd recommend something fairly easy to emulate, like the GBA or DS games. With the GBA games, in particular, it's easy to hack them with tools like FEBuilderGBA. So if you want, you can make characters with custom names and portraits, edit existing weapons, and all sorts of stuff. FE8 in particular is amenable to hacking, with a lot of quality of life patches available as well. But if you want a more vanilla experience, FE7 could work. Say it's you and two other friends - each one could claim a Lord, and then another couple units to control. Still, I'd avoid playing on especially high difficulties - it's probably harder to strategize with multiple tacticians stepping over one another.

Good luck!

Adding on to what First Mate said, You'll probably want a more enemy-phase focused game, because with your army divided into the control of multiple separate people, coordinating player-phase attacks is probably going to be a living nightmare. Yet another argument for FE7. You're also probably going to want to play a game that has maps with multiple places to be and multiple things to do, because that would probably make it the most fun, when your teams are mostly in different places. For the most part, I think FE7 works pretty well for that too, from what I remember of the maps.

One question you'll have to think about though is who gets to control Marcus. He is absolutely overpowering in the early game, and still just barely usable by the endgame. While the tradeoff could be seen as worth it when picking who gets to use who, a concern is that the other friends might not like how heavily whoever gets Marcus relies on him in the earlier maps and hogs killing opportunities for everyone else to improve their units. I mean if your friend wanted,  they could have Marcus literally rush forward and kill everything before anyone else can kill it. You might want to make him a unit that can only be moved if you can all agree on what he should do that turn, at least until he stops being so overwhelming, say, when you get Ninian.

Edited by Alastor15243

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

One question you'll have to think about though is who gets to control Marcus. He is absolutely overpowering in the early game, and still just barely usable by the endgame. While the tradeoff could be seen as worth it when picking who gets to use who, a concern is that the other friends might not like how heavily whoever gets Marcus relies on him in the earlier maps and hogs killing opportunities for everyone else to improve their units. I mean if your friend wanted,  they could have Marcus literally rush forward and kill everything before anyone else can kill it. You might want to make him a unit that can only be moved if you can all agree on what he should do that turn, at least until he stops being so overwhelming, say, when you get Ninian.

My answer? Ban Marcus. If they play anything short of HHM, this should be doable. Same for Seth, in Normal Sacred Stones.

Alternatively, use him, but once Merlinus shows up, he needs to guard the tent for that sweet support.