How to edit Boss Data in Awakening?

windypanda1

Hello everyone, I am currently working on a rebalance patch for Awakening where I modify the units’ bases, growths, and stat caps to resemble the Fates system to stop the massive stat inflation from trivializing gameplay. Using thane98’s paragon editor, I was able to modify these stats for my units and the general enemy units. However, paragon doesn’t have a built in boss editor for Awakening, so I am wondering how I can try to balance the bosses. I have the decompressed rom and very basic knowledge on HxD. It would be great if anyone could lend a hand.

Enemy bosses are in the data<person folders. 

You should see files names 001 002, etc, these are the enemies that appear in each chapter. The boss will almost always be right on top. At offset 0x44 is usually where the boss base stats start (hp, str, mag, skl, spd, lck, def, res.)

At 0x70 is where enemy boss skills are stored. 

Edit: if needed I can show pictures to demonstrate where they are stored. If not, that's fine, too!

Edited by lightcosmo

22 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Enemy bosses are in the data<person folders. 

You should see files names 001 002, etc, these are the enemies that appear in each chapter. The boss will almost always be right on top. At offset 0x44 is usually where the boss base stats start (hp, str, mag, skl, spd, lck, def, res.)

At 0x70 is where enemy boss skills are stored. 

Edit: if needed I can show pictures to demonstrate where they are stored. If not, that's fine, too!

Hello, please help me! I cannot find it ahaha. Sorry for being a noob...

3 hours ago, windypanda1 said:

Hello, please help me! I cannot find it ahaha. Sorry for being a noob...

It's fine, no worries!

So at first you should see these folders:

Spoiler

710c5a9b4f5182e3d3f6878fabbcdb2e.png

You need to go into the "data" folder.

Next you should see these:

Spoiler

83e06213e72e44c276e199c385d4d432.png

You need to go into Person next.

After that, you should see these:

Spoiler

93ae99d782840b978dd1aa9270e41a2f.png

These correspond to which chapter is which, in order of course.

Next, when opening one of those decompressed files up in a hex editor, you will see this:

Spoiler

5481b5c8f964e2374206823959b6591e.png

Notice that it says offset 44 at the bottom? that is where the enemy boss's Hp base stat is stored at. Then every other stat follows right after. (45 is str, 46 is mag and so forth.)

14 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

It's fine, no worries!

So at first you should see these folders:

Hide contents

710c5a9b4f5182e3d3f6878fabbcdb2e.png

You need to go into the "data" folder.

Next you should see these:

Hide contents

83e06213e72e44c276e199c385d4d432.png

You need to go into Person next.

After that, you should see these:

Hide contents

93ae99d782840b978dd1aa9270e41a2f.png

These correspond to which chapter is which, in order of course.

Next, when opening one of those decompressed files up in a hex editor, you will see this:

Hide contents

5481b5c8f964e2374206823959b6591e.png

Notice that it says offset 44 at the bottom? that is where the enemy boss's Hp base stat is stored at. Then every other stat follows right after. (45 is str, 46 is mag and so forth.)

Oh alright, I understand now, thanks!

4 hours ago, windypanda1 said:

One more thing, is there a way to edit recruit unit inventory? For example, if I wanted to give Ricken an Arcwind tome instead of Elwind.

Yeah, that's in the Dispos folder which is in the same folder as the person folder. 

You will need a hex editor that can properly read the text though as some cant. As it's in JP when its converted.

On 12/22/2020 at 9:17 PM, lightcosmo said:

Yeah, that's in the Dispos folder which is in the same folder as the person folder. 

You will need a hex editor that can properly read the text though as some cant. As it's in JP when its converted.

Ricken!!.thumb.png.f7349421002be40f643a9af697f9dd99.png

It worked!! Took a while to find out how to convert hex to Shift JIS (HxD doesn't seem to support it) but I figured it out. 

One last thing: I'm sorry for relying on you so much but is there a way to modify enemy reinforcements? Like, make them not spawn or change the enemy type? I think mounted same-turn reinforcements are a major problem in awakening so I want to restrict them to footlocked units. 

3 minutes ago, windypanda1 said:

Ricken!!.thumb.png.f7349421002be40f643a9af697f9dd99.png

It worked!! Took a while to find out how to convert hex to Shift JIS (HxD doesn't seem to support it) but I figured it out. 

One last thing: I'm sorry for relying on you so much but is there a way to modify enemy reinforcements? Like, make them not spawn or change the enemy type? I think mounted same-turn reinforcements are a major problem in awakening so I want to restrict them to footlocked units. 

Congrats!

And yeah, you can change the enemy type by editing the pointers in person<dispos folders.

Dispos handles what enemy classes are loaded along with inventories for the enemy and player.

As for outright removing them, I think that's a tad more complex.

54 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Congrats!

And yeah, you can change the enemy type by editing the pointers in person<dispos folders.

Dispos handles what enemy classes are loaded along with inventories for the enemy and player.

As for outright removing them, I think that's a tad more complex.

Ahaha.... Can you please walk me through it? Changing all of the reinforcements in Chapter 16 (Mila's Tree) to Fighter, for example. 

016.bin.lz

This is the bin data in person > dispos. I can make out the japanese text at the bottom saying PlayerEnemyReinforcements and what appears to be the player inventory and enemy types, but I can't make out anything beyond that. 

Edited by windypanda1

29 minutes ago, windypanda1 said:

Ahaha.... Can you please walk me through it? Changing all of the reinforcements in Chapter 16 (Mila's Tree) to Fighter, for example. 

016.bin.lz 3.39 kB · 0 downloads

This is the bin data in person > dispos. I can make out the japanese text at the bottom saying PlayerEnemyReinforcements and what appears to be the player inventory and enemy types, but I can't make out anything beyond that. 

The best way to it would be to point their PID to another one in the same chapter.

For example: The wyverns in chapter 5:

Spoiler

dff69873e242b8a933ece56d17f6d05c.png

you see PID_005_Dragonknight here, you need to change that to another one that's in the chapter.

To find this you need to have the letter P in PID highlighted like i do, then -20h from that offset. so for this one, it's at 1D1A, you need to -20 from this and you should get 1CFA. Then you need to use the search function and search for 1CFA but in reverse, so FA1C. you should find a few instances of these, considering there is more than one. So you need to find the later ones in the data, as those are usually the reinforcements.

Spoiler

c91de28007b55ee44533e05ffce6c7d8.png

You see the FA1C i have highlighted? you need to replace that with another PID from an enemy unit in that chapter.

Then you need to change their inventory accordingly. So you see that 871C at the bottom left corner? That's their inventory.

Edit: If that explanation doesnt suffice, I apologize, I kinda rushed it as I didn't have alot of time. I can fix it later, if need be?

Edited by lightcosmo

12 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

The best way to it would be to point their PID to another one in the same chapter.

For example: The wyverns in chapter 5:

Reveal hidden contents

dff69873e242b8a933ece56d17f6d05c.png

you see PID_005_Dragonknight here, you need to change that to another one that's in the chapter.

To find this you need to have the letter P in PID highlighted like i do, then -20h from that offset. so for this one, it's at 1D1A, you need to -20 from this and you should get 1CFA. Then you need to use the search function and search for 1CFA but in reverse, so FA1C. you should find a few instances of these, considering there is more than one. So you need to find the later ones in the data, as those are usually the reinforcements.

Reveal hidden contents

c91de28007b55ee44533e05ffce6c7d8.png

You see the FA1C i have highlighted? you need to replace that with another PID from an enemy unit in that chapter.

Then you need to change their inventory accordingly. So you see that 871C at the bottom left corner? That's their inventory.

Edit: If that explanation doesnt suffice, I apologize, I kinda rushed it as I didn't have alot of time. I can fix it later, if need be?

That took a while but I think I have everything down! Thank you so much, I would never figure this stuff out if it wasn't for you. One last thing though, is there a way to change the objective of the level? I want  to replace most rout maps with defeat the commander. 

Edited by windypanda1

1 hour ago, windypanda1 said:

That took a while but I think I have everything down! Thank you so much, I would never figure this stuff out if it wasn't for you. One last thing though, is there a way to change the objective of the level? I want  to replace most rout maps with defeat the commander. 

You're very welcome! 

Hmmm, I would have to guess that's in the script somewhere, but I haven't looked into it all that much, sorry!

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

You're very welcome! 

Hmmm, I would have to guess that's in the script somewhere, but I haven't looked into it all that much, sorry!

Alright, you've helped me more than enough already. I guess I'll start another thread to see if anyone knows the answer. When I release this, I'm definitely going to thank you again in the forum post so look forward to it, haha. 

Edited by windypanda1

9 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

You're very welcome! 

I once again request your help. Do you know how to make certain items droppable by enemies? I assume it's in dispos, but I couldn't find anything that could be the trigger for it. 

Edited by windypanda1

43 minutes ago, windypanda1 said:

I once again request your help. Do you know how to make certain items droppable by enemies? I assume it's in dispos, but I couldn't find anything that could be the trigger for it. 

Yeah, after the weapon pointer you see the bytes 01, 01, 03? You need to add a 01 in front of the first one and that should do it.

27 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Yeah, after the weapon pointer you see the bytes 01, 01, 03? You need to add a 01 in front of the first one and that should do it.

Tested it out. This works! Does this make ALL of the unit's held items droppable? Not that I mind such a minor inconvenience, but I'm just curious. 

Also, this is really the last question, do you know how to edit the items sold in the overworld? There is a feature for it on paragon but it seems to be broken.

Edited by windypanda1

50 minutes ago, windypanda1 said:

Tested it out. This works! Does this make ALL of the unit's held items droppable? Not that I mind such a minor inconvenience, but I'm just curious. 

Also, this is really the last question, do you know how to edit the items sold in the overworld? There is a feature for it on paragon but it seems to be broken.

I believe you have to set it for each item seperately.

Hmmm, that's not something I'm sure of either.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I believe you have to set it for each item seperately.

Hmmm, that's not something I'm sure of either.

Alright, that's fine. Do you know how to "set them seperately?" for example, the first item is not droppable and the second item is droppable. 

8 hours ago, windypanda1 said:

Alright, that's fine. Do you know how to "set them seperately?" for example, the first item is not droppable and the second item is droppable. 

Hmmm, maybe try setting the second weapon as the dropable one instead.