Legendary Hero - Lilina: Firelight Leader

Fire Emblem Fan

14 minutes ago, XRay said:

Would not 焱 or 燚 be cooler? Although I guess I do not see the triple fire character often, and I do not think I have ever seen the quadruple one outside of dictionaries.

It's "rule of cool", not "rule of chuunibyou".

Pretending for a moment that the triple and quadruple fire characters are not tacky as all hell, the main difference is that 炎 is a character in standard use whereas the other two are not. Additionally, unlike modern games, which can typically rely on an existing font to supply the visual representation of all of the characters needed, earlier games needed to supply the graphics for their fonts themselves. The text characters in the GBA Fire Emblem games are all technically pixel art, meaning two things: a character actually needs to be useful to justify its inclusion on the character sheet and, to some extent, a character needs to not be too complicated to turn into a muddled mess when reduced to a 16-by-16-pixel graphic. (I have to include "to some extent" because there's no getting around the fact that some complex characters like 魔 (ma, "magic" or "demon") are kind of necessary to be included.)

But well, they're also just tacky as all hell.

On a completely random tangent, the most complicated character I remember seeing in a video game in a tiny font is 纏.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More thoughts on the banner:

I have every unit besides obviously Lilina, Duma and Celica. I kinda would rather try for a Celica even though red has much more tempting fodder! Duma I guess is one of those units I don’t think I’ll ever get unless he shows up for me unexpectedly... lol. 

With that said, if there’s ever anything good in red I want and Lilina just so happens to be there, it’ll be a good treat of sorts. Just like how I got Corrin last month when no greens came in my circle. It was like “cool, another off my list!”

It's funny how her other versions are all one degree removed from this one in different directions. Her original changes the movement type, Valentine's changes the color, and Summer changes to a different red ranged weapon.

On 12/22/2020 at 8:50 PM, indigoasis said:

I suppose that I would be surprised to see Sothe and Lilina, but I already consider them to be co-lords, which is how I also see Ryoma and Julia, for instance, so I don't think I would be too surprised.

This post of mine aged well, lol.

I was actually surprised to see Lilina because I wasn't expecting it at all! Especially so soon! Anyway, she looks to be a pretty good unit, if just a magic version of her summer alt with different skills. I'd pull for Reginn, but I wouldn't be opposed to getting Lilina.

Seems a decent fallback if the NY banner either sucks, or isn't sparkable.

- Red: I'm cool with Lilina because she was the main damage dealer when I started playing FEH, getting her Legendary version would kinda be a nice paired book-end to my time with FEH (more likely than not I'll be hard-quitting after the anniversary event). Her role or lack thereof in FE6 doesn't mean anything to me. Plumie isn't particularly relevant to me but would be new. Reggie is fine but I worry that merging her would impact F2P strats. I would bail if I got one Plumeria I think.

- Blue: Gatrie makes it a firm no-go even if Dimitri would be a fine addition (regardless of which infantry version this one is, I can't tell). Peony is neither here nor there because of that F2P thing. Pass.

- Green: I don't know which Edelgard this is, but both would be new, so whatever works. Would prefer the Galeforce one of course. Jill would also be new after my epic fail on her banner (and sparking Shinon over her), and a better base Celica would be accepted too.

- Grey: Duma poisons the well, which is a shame because I want one Claude merge. I'd take a Brammie for the novelty factor even if I'd never remember how to use his gimmick effectively, whatever the hell it is.

13 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

- Green: I don't know which Edelgard this is, but both would be new, so whatever works. Would prefer the Galeforce one of course. Jill would also be new after my epic fail on her banner (and sparking Shinon over her), and a better base Celica would be accepted too.

This one is ANF!Edelgard from CYL with Black Eagle Rule. With experience in using both, I personally prefer this one over the FE!Edelgard from Legendary Foci with Raging Storm.

Raging Storm is a fun and powerful gimmick no doubt, but it is still a gimmick that is quite literally being carried by Armored Stride. Armored Stride is not bad per se, and it certainly makes armor units far more usable, but it is not really enough in my opinion in terms of offering a smooth, seamless experience, as the positioning requirement can be a pain sometimes. ANF!Edelgard on the other hand basically got pseudo cavalry movement when near allies and it has a very lenient HP requirement, and she is far more consistent in movement in my opinion.

Raging Storm is the equivalent of Jameson, and in my opinion, that stuff needs something like Armored Stride and Coke to make it drinkable. And even then, while it is good and fun for parties, especially if when you are just starting to explore the world of alcohol, it is not super amazing and it definitely would not be most people's go to drink if they are more experienced and have more options. On other hand, Flower Hauteclere is the equivalent of Yellow Spot Irish Whiskey, something you can drink straight off the rocks at any time, night after night. Flower Hauteclere offers such a smooth and palatable experience that it allows ANF!Edelgard to fit in almost any team composition.

Pretty meh, honestly. The only notable perk she has is her sky-high base Atk, but otherwise she's just horse Ophelia with a weaker AoE, and even decked-out Ophelias are survivable with any decent Res-tank.

Leanne is going to feast on this coming LHB.

14 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

Pretty meh, honestly. The only notable perk she has is her sky-high base Atk, but otherwise she's just horse Ophelia with a weaker AoE, and even decked-out Ophelias are survivable with any decent Res-tank.

Leanne is going to feast on this coming LHB.

It's finally occurring to me that my Gronnraven tanks in AR who can laugh off units like Ophelia are going to find a red version of her with increased reach pretty frustrating. 

Easy skip. The only units I'm interested in here are Dimitri (for the collection) and Edelgard (for the fodder.) Also...do mages just...never actually read their tomes, for the most part? They seem to act more like mage batteries than actual study material. I know there are evidences that mages do study their tomes, but...Lilina's is specifically labeled as "studied." Maybe she just never actually read it until now? (Personally, I would have been humored if it was "Armads Forblaze," as a tome with an Armads sticker on it and some form of Close Counter built in. Would've been cute.) Also, Lilina looks like she's swimming in those robes (meaning they look big on her.)

Never played Binding Blade so I don't really have any attachments to Lilina. Seeing her get a legendary alt makes me hope characters like Caeda might get a legendary alt in the future.

Probably going to skip the banner. There's nothing I'm really looking for here. I would rather spend orbs on the upcoming Luna Skills banner if it has Mareeta, Ced and either Sirius or Perceval on it. Plus New Years units might get datamined after the update tonight and someone there might have fodder that I would like to have.

32 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

but...Lilina's is specifically labeled as "studied." Maybe she just never actually read it until now?

If you haven't read all of the posts here, it was stated this was a total mistranslation. To precise:

14 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The weapon's name in Japanese is 業炎フォルブレイズ (Gouen Forblaze), which translates roughly as "Infernal Forblaze".

業炎 (gouen) is clearly derived from 業火 (gouka), which directly translates as "kharmic fire" and originates from Buddhism, but now also refers to the "flames of hell" in general (both literally and figuratively). 業炎 simply replaces the 火 (ka), "fire", with 炎 (en), "large fire", which is literally just the character for "fire" on top of itself (and is commonly seen in fantasy settings for rule of cool).

"Studied Forblaze" clearly forgot the 炎 existed entirely and only translated the 業, which when pronounced as gyou has the meaning of "work", "business", or "study".

The Japanese name of the weapon as a whole derives from Forblaze's Japanese epithet, 業炎の理 (gouen no kotowari), "Revelation of Hellfire".

40 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you haven't read all of the posts here

Nah, I was just giving my impressions. Thanks, though. 🙂

Update is out:

Spoiler

Lilina: Firelight Leader

• Cavalry Red Tome. Fire Pair-up Legendary.
  • Ally Boost: HP+3
  • Stats: Level 1: 17/12/6/3/7. Level 40: 39/42/21/16/40.
  • BST: 158 => 180
  • Superboons: Atk. Superbanes: HP, Def, Res.
  • Skills: Studied Forblaze (5★); Gifted Magic (5★); Atk/Res Solo 4 (5★); Sabotage Res 3 (4★); Pulse Smoke 3 (5★).

Lilina's battle looked scary at first sight until I discovered the usefulness of FallenJulia who has stacked resistance. She could handle all the mages in EP and kill the knights in PP.

As for the banner it was very stingy with red orbs. Managed to pull an Edelgard and Celica with the tickets and about 15 orbs. Latter is new, so a nice addition.

my history...

ticket + orbs = banner with 11% rate...

first and unique 5*  got:  not lilina.......

I hate you, feh. You're very cruel...!!

You destroy my christmas... 😢

Edited by kurito

• 2 months later...
On 12/24/2020 at 1:07 AM, daisy jane said:

That's fair. 
But IntSys does

I don't really mean to use that argument. but I mean for me - i've been very vocal how I think a lot of the book 3 Mythics should just have been regular poolie people. I didn't think they are mythical at all. doesn't change the fact that's how the game sees them as. and honestly. even going back to "it's been so long and still no xander" yah. but if Xander came out early. then he'd suck like most of the earlier legendaries do so. while we don't have him yet. it's probably doing him a king of service. 

and again for me personally - having the not so obvious legendaries means that there are some characters that I'd personally like to see become one and things like this gives me hope over the more super obvious you know they are gonna do those ones. it's the other ones that are out there and i think are a bit more exciting. but milage varies and stuff like that. 

Do they do though? Lilina was in the banner because Guinivere wasn't in and there was no other obvious options. Sure, there was other Roy waifus like Cecilia, Sue, or Shanna but Lilina is more iconic to the casuals because she is Hector's daughter. It doesn't make her a lord as she doesn't fit the requirements for a lord in any way. As for relevance, Lilina became the first Queen of Ostia, so she has some background importance in her respective universe, even if it doesn't affect the story, at all.  

But I think that one day they Heroes can release a legendary Guinivere or a legendary Sue or legendary Cecilia cause why not?  L!Lilina expanded the legendary  poll to major characters like  Nils, Lewyn, Deirdre, Nyna, Elincia, Mist, Brigid, Yuri etc... Soon, after all,  the Lord options will run out and the legendaries will need to focus on major characters.