Echoes for (almost) ALL the fighters!

Lord_Brand

In this topic, we explore the idea of every fighter who doesn't currently have an Echo Fighter in SSBU getting an Echo Fighter, with some exceptions:

Spoiler
  • Every Pokemon fighter
  • Ice Climbers
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • R.O.B.
  • Villager
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Little Mac
  • Rosalina & Luma
  • Shulk
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Duck Hunt
  • Corrin (Kana would be the obvious choice save for the fact they're shorter than Corrin)
  • King K. Rool
  • Mii Fighters (Customizable avatars don't really need Echoes)
  • DLC Fighters

Most of these simply don't have good Echo options, though if anyone else wants to try thinking of some anyway, they're more than welcome to!

As a reminder, here are the Fighters who do currently have an Echo:

Spoiler
  • Peach - Daisy
  • Samus - Dark Samus
  • Marth - Lucina
  • Roy - Chrom
  • Pit - Dark Pit
  • Ryu - Ken
  • Simon - Richter

Now for all the fighters who don't yet have an Echo but have reasonable options for one:

Spoiler
  • Mario - Dr. Mario (c'mon, THEY'RE LITERALLY THE SAME GUY)
  • Donkey Kong - Classic Donkey Kong
  • Link - Champion Link (Champion Link would be the current Link from BotW, while the default Link would be the one we've had since 64 with the Hookshot and Bombs).
  • Kirby - Waddle Dee (Could have virtually all the same moves as Kirby save for Inhale and Stone, which would probably become Spear Throw and Rocky respectively, though WD could also use the Copy ability gained from Tac)
  • Yoshi - Birdo (Her N Special would shoot eggs rather than turn foes into eggs)
  • Fox - Krystal
  • Luigi - Dr. Luigi (If Dr. Mario's going to be a separate fighter and an Echo, might as well)
  • Ness - Ninten
  • Captain Falcon - Blood Falcon (He's literally a clone of Captain Falcon)
  • Bowser - Dry Bowser
  • Sheik - Impa
  • Zelda - Hilda
  • Falco - Leon
  • Young Link - Kafei
  • Ganondorf - Twilight Ganondorf
  • Meta Knight - Galacta Knight
  • Zero Suit Samus - Gandrayda
  • Wario - Dr. Wario
  • Snake - Liquid Snake
  • Ike - Black Knight
  • Diddy Kong - Dixie Kong
  • Lucas - Claus
  • Sonic - Shadow
  • King Dedede - Shadow Dedede
  • Olimar - Louie
  • Toon Link - Tetra
  • Wolf - Kursed
  • Mega Man - Proto Man
  • Palutena - Medusa
  • Pac-Man - Ms. Pac-Man
  • Robin - Morgan
  • Cloud - Zack
  • Bayonetta - Jeanne
  • Inkling - Octoling
  • Ridley - Ridley X
  • Isabelle - Digby

Thoughts? Ideas? Feel free to share!

Edited by Lord_Brand

The Ring Fit protagonists might be decent echoes for the Wii Fit Trainers, but I don't think they're very similar at all, and it would really just be a palette swap, like with Alph and Olimar. Speaking of Alph, he would've been great as an echo fighter, too, but I guess the differences between him and Olimar (or lack thereof) wouldn't really warrant an echo. Louie is a great option for an echo, though.

I think the echoes you've come up with are already pretty good, and I can't really think of anyone else that might fit better. I'm not entirely sure how some echoes would really be echoes, like with Tetra and Toon Link. I think Toon Link is distinctive enough that it's really hard to get someone similar to be an echo. Young Link and Toon Link could maybe be echoes of each other, but it's kind of a stretch. 

I just figured Tetra would be similar enough in build to Link that they could play similar, but she isn't normally known for using a shield. And for what it's worth, we have Dr. Mario as a fighter (and not an Echo, for some reason), so at this point virtually any fighter can be justified as getting a variant of themselves as an Echo (and indeed, that's exactly what I did with Luigi, Donkey Kong, and Link). So, maybe Toon Link's Echo can be some variant of Toon Link. He and Young Link wouldn't work though, their builds are too different.

See, the main determining factor in whether a fighter can be an Echo is whether or not they can use the same animation rig as their base. The animations themselves don't have to be the same (Dark Samus hovers above the ground while Samus walks and runs, for example), but they could both be animated using the same skeleton, without altering the bones or joints.

This is why I argue Coco couldn't be Crash's Echo, for example, because her shoulders are narrower than Crash's (far narrower in IAT), so her shoulder joints wouldn't line up with his. She could certainly have a similar moveset, but they'd have to use a different animation rig for it.

Likewise, Toon Link's long arms and torso and short stubby legs wouldn't line up properly with Young Link's respective joints.

On 12/25/2020 at 7:58 PM, lightcosmo said:

I would reccomend Mr.L over Dr.Luigi, as Mr.L has good relevance to this particular subject. 

Other than that, they look fine to me.

The one problem with that is Mr. L is a Paper Mario concept, and so would work better as a costume for a Paper Luigi fighter (though there's nothing saying he couldn't be both). Dr. Luigi not only mirrors Mario's proposed Echo, he even has a basis now with his own game. Failing that, I'd suggest Gooigi who is actually a separate character, but even he would probably work better as a skin.

3 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

The one problem with that is Mr. L is a Paper Mario concept, and so would work better as a costume for a Paper Luigi fighter (though there's nothing saying he couldn't be both). Dr. Luigi not only mirrors Mario's proposed Echo, he even has a basis now with his own game. Failing that, I'd suggest Gooigi who is actually a separate character, but even he would probably work better as a skin.

Really? I dont think so, after all, Luigi is Luigi. 

Even go ahead and give him unique voice clips for those alts.