What's the bolting logic?

Marienburg

I can't figure out for the life of me what logic the AI is using to bolt. Sometimes it will have a target and choose to do nothing. Other times it will ignore Clarine hitting other targets, and then turn and 1 shot her. It will have a half hp Rutger that it can kill but instead chooses to focus fire a Lance that is at full health and has more resistance than the Rutger. I thought it might be because of his avoidance, but other times it will ignore the entire team and try to kill Rutger while he dodges everything. All I can tell is that it really hates thieves and Zeiss. Any idea what heuristic its using?

FE6 does use random AI routines, iirc there's an AI to make enemies roam randomly and it's used on fog maps (where you usually can't see it). I don't know to what extent though.

The AI could be: don't move and attack if in range.

So wherever the magic user is they will only attack from there with their tomes.

Even if the red squares show they can attack farther.

Edited by Fates-Blade

On 12/25/2020 at 2:19 PM, Fates-Blade said:

The AI could be: don't move and attack if in range.

So wherever the magic user is they will only attack from there with their tomes.

Even if the red squares show they can attack farther.

This is it, you're right. Just came across some bolting mages and confirmed it's because of movement being included in the range despite the mage being coded to not move.