Not enjoying this game as much the second time.

Whisky

I really liked this game the first time I played it. I think it has one of the best stories in the series and some interesting characters. A near art style. I like the flow from chapter to chapter with base conversations. The skills are an interesting mechanic (although a lot of them are pointless). I really enjoyed my first playthrough of this game. I did find it to be very easy, but I still enjoyed it regardless. I actually was already a fan of Ike from Smash Bros so it was cool seeing him here. I thought it was really satisfying to see Ike destroy things with Aether.

But I’m not on my second playthrough and finding it less enjoyable. I’m playing a Hard Ironman playthrough. Even on this difficulty and play style, the game is still very easy. The ease of difficulty and the slow map animations that can’t be turned off or skipped are both making this game very boring. I lost a couple units due entirely to complacency which I blame that boredom for.

I still really like certain things about this game but it seems so boring to replay with how easy and slow it is. What are your thoughts? 

If it's a matter of the game being easy, you can always try a draft~!  Find a previous roster, and play by those rules.  It's a hell of a way to break up the tedium.

There isn't much you can do about the animation skip/interface/other tiny things that add up and make subsequent playthroughs unfun.  If you're on emulator, maybe you can speed through the animations?

8 minutes ago, eclipse said:

If it's a matter of the game being easy, you can always try a draft~!  Find a previous roster, and play by those rules.  It's a hell of a way to break up the tedium.

I’ve never played any drafts. I might look up the rules for that and try it out next time.

8 minutes ago, eclipse said:

There isn't much you can do about the animation skip/interface/other tiny things that add up and make subsequent playthroughs unfun.  If you're on emulator, maybe you can speed through the animations?

I am on an emulator, I’m on Dolphin emulator. I don’t know how to speed the game up with it but I’ll look into it if that’s possible.

2 minutes ago, Whisky said:

I’ve never played any drafts. I might look up the rules for that and try it out next time.

We have a subforum for that, under General Fire Emblem!  Search for "FE9", and that should give you some results!

2 minutes ago, Whisky said:

I am on an emulator, I’m on Dolphin emulator. I don’t know how to speed the game up with it but I’ll look into it if that’s possible.

While I have no experience with Gamecube emulators, every other one I've been on has an option to speed up the frame rate.  Should be doable on Dolphin, I think!

• 4 weeks later...

I know some will probably kill me for this but I think path of radiance is one of the worst games in the franchise. The story and character's is only thing It has going for it. Aside from that the game put's up no challenge what 'so ever, bonus exp pretty much breaks the game, horses and axes go brr in this game, the maps are just mediocre all around, and on top of all of that the game is slow in general especially the enemy phases to the point where you can go into your car drive to nearest place to get lunch then come back only to realize that the enemy phase is still going on. Overall path of radiance to me is just an overall bore, it's not the worst game in the series as Gaiden is objectively the worst one but it's still a pretty low tier fire emblem game for me. 

I will be the first to admit that this game wont be everyone's cup of tea. It's slow as hell and not very pleasing to the eye. I'd like for them to not really remake the game but re-release it with some tweaks like allowing skipping turns and working on the difficulty. 

It's my favorite Fire Emblem but I'm only able to play it a lot cuz of speeding through the enemy phase via emulation. Dolphin *does* have ways to speed up the game, tab is the default key that if you hold it down, disables the speedcap. That said it is limited based on how fast your PC can actually emulate the game.