What are the best units to use in Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light?

sinfonic18

I kind of feel weird posting this so soon after my Binding Blade one but the truth is I am FE fanatic and I go from one game to the other so let's get this one started!

I just started the game and units I have now are Marth and the original Jagen, Cain, Abel, Draug, Gordin and Caeda. I stopped playing so I could ask this on what units are the best to invest since I've been researching without spoiling myself as a lot of things in the first game are vastly different than they are in newer games. Anyway, thanks in advance! 

Oh, and let's try to keep this thread as small as possible since my Binding Blade thread got a little too big for the question asked so if we can, let's refrain from debating. xD 

In your current crew, Marth, Cain, Abel, and Ceada are all worthy of investing exp. All of them have very high stat growths compared to other units, and all but Marth can promote to level up even more. Merric is good. It takes most of the game before he can promote, but in the meantime he contributes quite a bit as a mage. Wendell is also worth using because he's like Merric but can use staves. I recommend Barst as well from Chapter 2. He can't promote, but his stat growths are even better, and you'll want to stock up on hammers, since the game eventually stops selling axes of any type. Having a unit besides Merric around that takes out armor knights easily is much appreciated. After him, Hardin is pretty great. And that's it for great units until Minerva and the whitewings, and Tiki. Bantu and Xane are also great, but Bantu's got no stat growths, and Xane doesn't need experience ever. 

I'm not going to repeat any of what was said above... so...

Ogma. Swords are pretty damn good in this game due to the reduced slow-down and lack of weapon triangle, and the first promotional item you get is a hero's crest. Combine with that Ogma's combination of solid bases, near perfect availability, and his all-right, (though hardly world shattering) growths... and he's pretty damn good. An armorslayer here, a wyrmslayer there, and he can decimate draco-knights.

Navarre should work similarly. Though, his bases aren't as good, he has instant access to all (non-Marth) swords... and higher growths.

Julian, is of course more or less a necessity... because master keys work more like lockpicks in this game, and hence only a thief can use them. Unless you want to waste some of those 40 convoy slots on door and bridge keys, Julian is an absolute life-saver. Rickard kind of works too, especially if you don't plan on training your thief at all. If you do however... Julian kind of has some really, really amazing growth rates considering his class.

Also, while I wouldn't ever have recommended Linde in FE11... in FE1, her exclusive access to Aura, and the fact "magic" isn't a stat, leaving the damage to the tome... means that she's decisively got more potential in this game. Perhaps not as much as Merric... but in the event he, or even Barst, aren't working out.... you've got a second option.

Marth, Cain, Abel, Caeda, Ogma, Navarre, Merric, Hardin, Wendell, Jeorge, Minerva, and Palla are all great.

Barst, Bantu, Linde, Xane, and Tiki could be other options. Tomas was a surprise MVP for me, but I wouldn't say he'll ALWAYS be an MVP. Lorenz is the only General available in the game, he could be a useful tank with an upgrade to his movement.