Fighter Idea: Dr. Wily & Robot Masters

Lord_Brand

Lately, I've been a little obsessed with the idea that Dr. Wily could bring playable Robot Masters with him into Smash as a fighter team, with Wily as the commander and the Robot Masters as the playable fighters. The concept to me seems brilliant, as Robot Masters would be easier to implement as playable fighters than Wily himself, and that would be more in-keeping with how Wily works in his home series (in contrast to, say, Dr. Eggman, who regularly battles Sonic throughout their games).

However, I've been struggling with the best way to implement this concept:

Concept A: Four specific Robot Masters compose Wily's team. This would reference Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge, MMII-MMV for Game Boy, and MM7 and 8, which separated Robot Masters into groups of four.

Concept B: Eight specific Robot Masters compose Wily's Team. Obviously this references the usual boss ensemble for Mega Man games.

Concept C: Wily's team can use different combinations of Robot Masters, pulled from across the series, making Wily a customizable fighter. This could work with either four or eight, but would probably be more feasible with four.

Then there's the matter of the Robot Master selection. Popularity is a major factor, but I don't want to show too much favoritism for any one game. Sure, you could just slap MM2 RMs in there and call it a day, but that feels disingenuous to fans of the series as a whole, hence my suggestion that the team be customizable. Ideally, every Robot Master could be included as a possible member of Wily's team, but I realize what an undertaking that would be, so I'm open to suggestions of exactly how big a pool seems feasible here. One per game? Two? Four? Or do we just indulge in the crazy what-if fantasy of an 8-robot team that can consist of absolutely any RMs we please? Bearing in mind that, at minimum, we'd be looking at 86 RMs from the core numbered entries, not counting the Mega Man Killers, Stardroids, King's Army, or Time Man and Oil Man.

As for how to switch between them, I was thinking Shield + Special could be used to bring up a menu of the four (or eight) Robot Masters on the team which you can select.

The Final Smash would of course be Wily tagging in with a Wily Machine to deliver a powerful attack. My pick being his Power Fighters Machine with the beam cannon in its mouth. Simple, yet symbolic.

On the aesthetic front, I did consider the possibility of Wily using his Mr. X disguise and his MM8 and MM11 designs as costumes with decoy variants, but I realized it would be even cooler if his "costumes" were different Wily Capsules from the series. As for the RMs themselves, I'm not against referencing different RMs with costumes, like maybe Stone Man and Concrete Man costumes for Guts Man, as well as a Block Man color scheme for the Stone Man Skin. But if all 80-odd RMs can somehow be worked in there, what kinds of alternate colors should they have?

What do my fellow Mega Man fans think? Which Robot Masters would you pick for Dr. Wily's team? What kinds of movesets would you give them?