Special Heroes - New Year: ω Special Heroes

SockPuppet

never mind. i made a mistake. 

However for those who buy the NY Bundles. I think they will be
1: Plumeria
2: Velouria

reasoning
they aren't going to put the demote in an orb pack, and they aren't going to do the duo as one. 

Edited by daisy jane

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this banner is in the double seasonal format, well that's nice because seasonal banners tend to have too many pity breakers for my liking. Not that I'll summon here as I'm still hunting for W!Hilda merges and none of these units appeal to me in terms of either fodder or usage. 

Still, let's see how they fare: 

NY!Plumeria is 100% a slow unit with high Atk/Res just like her OG!Form. Flying archers are pretty rare and Plumeria's statline makes her stand out even more. As a dancer she'll always have a place on most teams, and a high Res archer can come in handy considering most mages have pathetic Def stats. In terms of fodder she only has the Rein skill and QR3, Close Ward is mega niche and only Boey would like it to compliment his Prf's Close Foil. Well, at least we already got the whole Ward/Foil family of skills so that's nice. 

NY!Velouria speaks to me on a personal level with her grumbling about festivities but that's irrelevant for gameplay. Fodder wise she's pretty great with both DC and NFU, a perfect combination for bruiser characters. Just like with her OG version, she's focused on the Ally Support mechanic which means she's pretty horrible for AR-D. Her Prf gives special acceleration and if she's the one fighting a debuff to the foe. Standard, but effective. 

NY!Kaden is eh. If the foe's healthy he gets a 10 Spd difference and his weapon also includes the Vassal's Blade effect so he won't have many issues getting the +7 true damage, and that's about it. It doesn't seem like he'll have high Atk so he might be a little too reliant on true damage, and as a Cav he can't use stuff like Wrath for extra oomph. Fodder is meh. 

And last, but not least we have our new Duo hero being the fairy sisters. The combo of the Prfs amounts to +9 Atk and +3 everything else for allies in cardinal directions, that's great but I think normal Peony's 3 Spd is better overall. Fodder is great with Joint Drive Atk and the Bond 4, Res Cantrip will likely be changed for Aerobatics or WoM. The Duo skill is pretty nuts, it's basically Harmonized Tiki's skill but better. Guess IS is really set on showing that Duos>Harmonics, not that it wasn't obvious since the beginning. Peony & Triandra's stat spread is good for their purpose: 38/34/40/16/23 with a very likely Spd superasset, the Atk is a little too high for my liking but not everyone can be Tethys. 

Thanks to the previous NY units being included this banner's value is around 8~9. As for the colors: Green>=Blue>Colorless>>Red. 

Aw man, Omega Special Heroes banners (the apparent name for these type of banners -- Double Special Heroes with 6% 5* Focus rate and 2% off-Focus 5* rate) are going to suck. If this is supposed to be the answer for having too many banners for a specific seasonal theme, this ain't it, chief. RIP to those who randomly pull a garbage off-focus unit like Adrift Camilla, Adrift Mikoto, or Ylgr.

Keaton being the TT reward unit -- welp, GG, TT reward unit with interesting/good fodder since Keaton is a beast unit (beast units will always have a Prf weapon and therefore no interesting inheritable seasonal weapon though then again, all of the 2021 New Year's units have Prf weapons).

Plumeria's Close Ward is going to be a huge meme since it's mainly going to be useful for mages and dagger units with dragonslayer weapons. At least Atk/Def Rein is nice.

Peony is going to be dumb since she's a dancer that can dance twice in one turn. And since she's a Duo unit with at least 190 BST, better prepare red ranged units for her since she's likely going to be appear quite a bit in Arena modes.

Velouria looks pretty spicy -- DC+NFU for fodder and her weapon makes herself kind of like a refined CYL Lucina. She looks like another unit made for AR-O tanking.

Don't really care too much about Kaden though he is seemingly poised to be yet another red Galeforce cav, especially with the Spd based effects.

39 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

At least NY Alfonse has Close Counter + Special Spiral fodder, in case you get him trying for Velouria.

Or merges. Good point.

8 minutes ago, redlight said:

He's a dude. That's why he's the 4* focus.

While Selkie was the focus of the banner, Kaden got pretty famous for his support utility and Keaton was obsessed over for his art like Seteth.

True, which is why I'm not surprised Velouria is on the banner instead of him. It's Kaden that surprises me a bit since he's always been behind the other three in popularity, and even within Heroes I don't hear as much about him as much as Keaton. 

And that's true as well, Kaden and Keaton definitely left a good impression on the fandom for different reasons. Which is probably why both of them are even here rather then just leaving Velouria as the sole Fates beast like Lethe with Tellius last year. 

Pretty tame and expected banner, as far as which characters are included. Book 4's fairies were expected, and it makes sense that they'd follow up last year and add in more of the beast units. The one and only surprise is the lack of Male Byleth, but that's not a big deal.

As for the actual skills and such, I'm very tempted to go for Peony. Joint Drive Attack is such a tempting skill, it's a great one for most any character's C slot.

7 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Close Ward is mega niche and only Boey would like it to compliment his Prf's Close Foil. Well, at least we already got the whole Ward/Foil family of skills so that's nice. 

i will say Bride Micaiah would love to have this  (or at least mine would)
I honestly never liked he idea of giving her close counter (I mean counter/vantage strats i suppose)  - but giving her close ward  would allow her to hit dragons back. not that I would sack a Plumeria for that because because she also has atk/def rein (which is stilll seasonal locked and comes w/a not really the best a skill that i'd want to give it to the people i want to give it to) - Altina/Altena. 

but i agree with you on stuff

Is it bad that when I read the title, I thought it said "New Year: uwu?"

Well anyway, 2 dancers and 2 beasts, plus all the units from last years banner. Great. Greeeeeeat. Just what I always wanted when going for Duo Alfonse, a chance to get New Year Velouria instead...

Oh my, Plumeria in this outfit is beautiful.

So they decided to put them as a duo special banner, that will piss of some people.

Also going forward, are all New years seasonals going to be OC? Can't wait for New Year Reginn next year.

10 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Is it bad that when I read the title, I thought it said "New Year: uwu?"

Well anyway, 2 dancers and 2 beasts, plus all the units from last years banner. Great. Greeeeeeat. Just what I always wanted when going for Duo Alfonse, a chance to get New Year Velouria instead...

At least Velouria has awesome fodder.

Anyway, as I was reading the comments, I remembered that I had been planning a beast cav team, but wound up never finishing it since I didn't have a red cav beast. This might solve that! =D It also means I'll have 2 Kadens on one team, which is a bit weird, but okay I guess? (Kaden, New Year's Kaden, Ranulf, and Panne.) This could be fun!

So, I'm just never meant to save orbs huh?

I'm definitely going in for that Velouria alt, with Kaden and Lethe as slightly lesser priorities as well. Having either Duo unit as potential consolation prizes on the side is just too good Anna can screw off though.

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Not sure if I would compare her to Lucina... I mean, Lucina is more supportive, for sure, but Velouria is for combat. She basically gets Spd/Def/Res+6 and Breath effect against foes when partner is within 2 spaces, and she also has Wo Dao effect. Place a Corrin within 2 spaces, and she will get more buffs than a Lucina would grant to her. 

It is true that NYSH!Velouria is more for combat, but her positioning requirement is what turns me off a bit. As a super tank, the positioning requirement is not a big issue, but she lacks the double Spurn that BH!Ike has access to. For player phase though, that positioning requirement kind of shoehorns her into a Wings of Mercy Galeforcer role. I mean, I could give her a regular player phase build, but when her Weapon is screaming for Wings of Mercy Galeforce, having her use a regular player phase build feels rather unsatisfying.

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Kaden basically got Spd+10 AND damage based on Spd difference.

Atk+7 and Spd+10 is not bad, but a lot of units can already hit harder and faster. He needs something more than that to be relevant in my opinion.

35 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

FREE KEATON, SOTHIS BLESS

No Mira is good for my Orbs, but my daughter, Peondra, and Plumeria are bad for my Orbs

hahaha right?

i am still pouty they couldn't give us Mira for Free. we got  Free babyZura. why not free NY Mira?

Edited by daisy jane

51 minutes ago, XRay said:

It is true that NYSH!Velouria is more for combat, but her positioning requirement is what turns me off a bit. As a super tank, the positioning requirement is not a big issue, but she lacks the double Spurn that BH!Ike has access to. For player phase though, that positioning requirement kind of shoehorns her into a Wings of Mercy Galeforcer role. I mean, I could give her a regular player phase build, but when her Weapon is screaming for Wings of Mercy Galeforce, having her use a regular player phase build feels rather unsatisfying.

Atk+7 and Spd+10 is not bad, but a lot of units can already hit harder and faster. He needs something more than that to be relevant in my opinion.

Its technically Atk + 11 / Spd +13 / Def +4 / Res +4 + Study Impact effect. It seems like he'll do fine as a Galeforcer.

20 minutes ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Its technically Atk + 11 / Spd +13 / Def +4 / Res +4 + Study Impact effect. It seems like he'll do fine as a Galeforcer.

He's also a red cav beast unit. We don't have many of those, and if you're looking for one, that already gives him a niche that isn't filled by too many.

So the update already hit, and the datamines have already happened. Caveat emptor:

Spoiler

NY!Plumeria: 41/42/17/18/39, 157 BST. Superboon in Atk, Superbane in Spd.
NY!Velouria: 41/38/40/34/23, 176 BST. Superboon in Spd, Superbane in HP.
NY!Kaden: 41/35/39/25/28, 168 BST. Superboon in Def, Superbane in Res.
NY!Peony: 38/34/40/16/23, 151 BST. Superboon in Spd/Res, Superbane in HP/Def.
NY!Keaton: 48/41/24/43/20, 176 BST. Superboon in Atk, Superbane in Def.

NY!Keaton is a Green Beast (Infantry) with a PRF weapon: Resolved Fang. It's an infantry version of NY!Kaden's weapon with all Spd stuff replaced with Def.
Other skills are Smite, Sturdy Blow, and Atk/Def Link (4★). 

The New Year's shop bundles were also datamined:

Spoiler

SockPuppet was half right, New Years Velouria is in the whale bundle with 143 Orbs and 200 Grails.

The dolphin bundle is 85 orbs and a pair of Summon Tickets that are presumably for the New Years banner. Can be purchased twice.

The cheap bundle is 50 Orbs, 50 Sacred Coins and  Summer Laegjarn??? Can be purchased twice.

What a weird cheap bundle. Plumeria or Duo!Peony seemed like a shoe-in with Kaden as the demote and Keaton as the TT unit, but apparently IntSys REALLY did not want the fairies anywhere but the banner, so they just dartboarded Laegjarn or something.

Edited by Some Jerk

Yeah like expected this banner didn't really do it for me. I'm already not particularly interested in the characters cosplaying as Hoshidans for a banner, but I'm not very attached to either the fairies nor the Fates beast units. The only character present that I have some fondness for is Kaden. 

Guess a sparkable real Duo was too much to hope for. Will wait for the New Heroes banner before calling a hard skip, but this NY banner ends up feeling like a Legendary banner, i.e. not bad but old hat. That, and seasonal beast units have never seemed a good investment to me since it means stacking two layers of low availability on top of each other. That, and because no matter what colour is sniped, there's no avoiding the beasts.

Fake Edit: Just saw that we're getting five tickets for the event at least, which makes the idea of pulling until I get at least one 5-star on the banner at least a viable option. We'll see.

Edited by Humanoid

Skip, the fairies are interesting but what makes them good for me at least is the fact that they are mythics so not interested that much. 

Spoiler

Datamine showed some tickets so I will use them to try and get a green 5* the duo is really good and Lethe is good fodder. 

I will continue pulling for regular Plum as she will be back in June and Astra needs her. 

We're getting summoning tickets according to the Twitter account so I'll throw mine towards colorless. Distant Ward/Sabotage Spd and a Plumeria would be a pretty nice grab. IF I CAN GET ANYTHING WORTHWHILE. The salt from my previous tickets still linger. Not even anything for merge projects or worthwhile fodder. I guess a +Res Tethys could always come home if given the chance.

Just now, Diovani Bressan said:

I am curious in how they will rerun this banner next year... will they reduce the banner to only the 4 new heroes, or will they rerun all 8 units together?

Probably just keep the newer ones and kick last year's onto their own banner.

Close Ward nullifying adaptive damage makes sense, it would have seemed pretty pointless otherwise.

Keaton hitting 180 BST with a superboon is nice. Not sure I'll bother merging him, but it's good to have the option.

Five tickets are also nice. Hopefully that's enough for me to get Kaden, and maybe even one of the duos.