How important is Fir?

otaku2255

Hey, so I recently began my Fire Emblem journey, having finished Blazing Blade a few days ago, which I absolutely loved. As a lapsed gamer who was previously obsessed with tactical games and RPGs, the series has hit all of the right notes for me so far. I bought a modded New 2DS XL, so I'm hyped that I can play all of the FE games on one device, minus the last three console releases.

Anyway, I've been in the habit of resetting every time one of my characters die or a village gets ransacked. On my current run of Ch 9, while setting up a formation on the island between the north and west sections, Fir came down the bridge and attacked a Lv 14 Dieck, who dodged her attack and one-shot countered her. I know the boss mentioned something about her sword being valuable... so I was considering restarting the chapter. But... most of the solid characters have had excellent level ups so far.

Is Fir (or the sword she has, as I'd likely bench her anyway) worth the effort of potentially losing amazing upgrades to some of my planned running mates? Should I just bury her and move on?

Edited by otaku2255
Grammar

There are a couple of Wo Daos in the game, so don't worry about it. Anyway it only has 20 uses and usable by units that are more often than not doubling, so maybe you're getting a solid 15 fights out of that thing.

Also, going from fe7 to fe6 is a bit of a jump in difficulty since fe6 feels (to me, at least) the most recent interpretation of "classic" fire emblem. so don't feel too bad if you're getting a little outplayed. Fir is a good unit, but she definitely takes a bit more work than Rutger and CON problems aside you really only use her for waifu points or if you have an undying love for Bartre. fe6 also has a stupidly large roster, so don't feel bad if you miss out on a unit or two, or let someone die. Yeah it would be better if you lost e.g. Zealot instead of Fir, but you can still get a good gameplay experience even without this one unit lol.

Appreciate the response. You took a load off my mind. This will be the first time I've let a character go for good, but I'm glad I don't have to sweat it too much.

I haven't found the difficulty spike to be as high as I expected based on my reading, minus the ridiculously low hit rates and lower growths. The few times I nearly gave up on the game were in Ch 8 and 8x, where I surrounded the bosses with my best (and most relevant) characters, to have my attacks dodged 99% of the time. But beyond that, I feel the map design is a bit better the FE7. It allows for more planning and strategizing, whereas in 7, I mostly just rushed head on through most maps and made out okay (except for the final chapter of boss redux and the dragon). I do miss being able to adjust the formations before battle, though.

It’s really just a super high crit sword that there are multiple of anyway, and if you want crits just train up Rutger lolz. Fir herself isn’t very good if I’m being honest.

Although it is worth mentioning that if you’re getting the true ending and you want as many characters as possible, you have to go B route here (visit the village in the top right), otherwise you miss Bartre, and since Fir died you don’t have anyone who can recruit Karel. But she’s quite cute, so you should always use her.

Edited by Sooks

On normal difficulty, Fir is honestly quite bad. On HM, she gets +3 Str and +6 HP (and some bonuses everywhere else), which is enough to make her fairly easy to train because there's so many axe using enemies when she joins and she basically becomes a second Rutger if you take the time to train her up, as long as RNGeesus treats them both similarly. But on NM, she's very weak and her bulk is pretty terrible as soon as she faces an enemy type that she can't dodge-tank against. So basically, she's not the most impactful unit to lose.

11 minutes ago, otaku2255 said:

I do miss being able to adjust the formations before battle, though.

You can still do that when viewing the map during battle preparations, the game just doesn't highlight the deployment tiles until you select a unit.

13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Although it is worth mentioning that if you’re getting the true ending and you want as many characters as possible, you have to go B route here (visit the village in the top right), otherwise you miss Bartre, and since Fir died you don’t have anyone who can recruit Karel.

Realistically, Karel isn't that impactful either. A valid endgame pick, sure, but you can't deploy that many units in the last chapter and chances are that you already have someone who can use Durandal.

13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

if you’re getting the true ending and you want as many characters as possible

fyi OP, the true ending is only locked behind possessing all of the sacred weapons at the end of chapter 22 

Per Vincent's post:

if you miss / killed Fir by accident then you can go to left village in that chapter to choose the route A, since Bartre need Fir to recruit him in the B route. in second to last chapter theres karel, and you need either Bartre or Fir to recruit him, but by that time every character in your active roster would be pretty solid anyway (since you dont want any character dies, mean everyone getting proper lvl up i assume) also Karel is not Athos, not necessary at all, unless you're completionist

wodao have higher crit, sure, but only usable by swordmaster and lower dmg than killing edge. and Fir have relative low Str unless she crit with it, enemy might not death in one round in later chapter

Edited by joevar

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Oops I did not know this. Thank you!

👌

possible with Roy too, but made more sense with Fir anyway

(i mean, if you just killed Fir previously, how could you recruit her father whos searching for her. thats cruel...)

Edited by joevar