Best Staffbots in the Franchise?

AnonymousSpeed

Inspired by a recent thread on the best staffbots in Conquest are, I'd like to hear what the best staffbots in the series are. Who uses warp, sleep, and physic so good that you just can't pass up their contributions? Who contributes the most effectively, and who contributes in a game where it is most needed?

FE4 - Erin and her daughter yes Erin x Lewyn is canon 😛. Very hard to top flying staffers in a game with huge maps. Although Ethlyn might top them since these 2 need promotion first iirc.

FE5 - Safy. Hammerene + promotion for warp *_*

FE9 - Rhys i found to be good. If you do bother with Mist however she gets a horse, which is more useful, but it's hard to trail

FE10 - hard one due to avialbility, but i'd say Elinicia. Again, very hart to top a flying staffer

Cq - Elise. Especially coupled with her support skills and availability.

3H - Lys. Not only is she a nuclear mage, she gets access to early warp. At b Rank! Although she isn't really a staff bow, but B rank warp makes her better than all staff bots

Edited by Father Shrimpas

Anyone from Shadow Dragon (the DS one).  Who needs a competent magic stat when your Physic range is "the entire map by default"?  😛

Oh, a serious answer?  Fine.  I don't go with "who can have the biggest yellow range", I go with "who is the combination of most effective at being a staffbot and doing other stuff when staves aren't needed".  And that goes to Pent for FE7, at least.  When he's not keeping everyone alive, he's throwing competent Elfires at enemies!

21 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

FE9 - Rhys i found to be good. If you do bother with Mist however she gets a horse, which is more useful, but it's hard to trail

Horse and access to the Black Knight fight. I'd say Mist's definitely the best staff bot in the game, if you take availability into account. If not... I mean Elincia can fly.

Yeah, honestly, the best staff bots in each game tend to be the ones with personal staves or mounted access. I think my favorite though is Elise. Super useful personal skill, high mobility, and impressive magic when she promotes. Though next time I play I'm gonna try making her a wyvern rider since I've heard and seen amazing things about that.

Just now, eclipse said:

I don't go with "who can have the biggest yellow range",

Yellow range? is there a game I'm forgetting where staff range is yellow instead of green? Sorry, I'm drawing a blank.

Edited by Alastor15243

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yellow range? is there a game I'm forgetting where staff range is yellow instead of green? Sorry, I'm drawing a blank.

Looks yellowish to me in the GBA games.  But my eyes are a little wonky!

14 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Anyone from Shadow Dragon (the DS one).  Who needs a competent magic stat when your Physic range is "the entire map by default"?  😛

Building off of this, Lena. She joins with Warp, is around almost the whole game, and can use basically every relevant staff aside from Aum and Fortify at base. And she can reach A for Fortify by lategame without too much effort. Plus, she has exclusive access to the Hammerne staff, with an absurd 13 charges this time around.

42 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

FE4 - Erin and her daughter yes Erin x Lewyn is canon 😛. Very hard to top flying staffers in a game with huge maps. Although Ethlyn might top them since these 2 need promotion first iirc.

TBH I'm actually a big fan of Erinys x Claude for this reason. Fee gets B-staves, so stuff like Recover, Physic, and the Status staves are options. Hell, she can Warp if she wants to. I mean, she can usually get by (as can her mother) on Mend and Return, but it's nice to have options. The Res boost, too, makes her ideal for taking on hard-to-reach siege and status mages in the lategame. Finally, Ced spamming Fortify as a green unit (so not exhausting uses) is oddly satisfying.

i can't even imagine playing T776 without safy or SD without lena (sure SD has reclassing but she already has the weapon rank for warp and hammerne is personal to her). best two staffbots of the franchise without a doubt.

other honourable mentions go to clarine (she has a horse and is repellent - gameplay-wise and also personality-wise, which is a positive too), tina (thief staff!!), and all of the gaiden/echoes clerics that learn warp (silque and tatiana?). erinys and elincia are very competent with staves but i do see them as combat units first.

36 minutes ago, eclipse said:

It's supposed to be a sort of lime-y green, I think.

8 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Building off of this, Lena. She joins with Warp, is around almost the whole game, and can use basically every relevant staff aside from Aum and Fortify at base. And she can reach A for Fortify by lategame without too much effort. Plus, she has exclusive access to the Hammerne staff, with an absurd 13 charges this time around.

Warp staff having infinite range in Shadow Dragon also contributes quite a bit, I imagine.

I'm putting in my vote for Julia. Her high MAG lets her silence or sleep virtually anybody. She's a great user of Psychic as well. And you don't need to be worried about her placing much  because she can defend herself rather well with Nosferatu. The only issue she has is lack of a mount but if you aren't playing LTC I don't think that's a huge deal

2 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Warp staff having infinite range in Shadow Dragon also contributes quite a bit, I imagine.

7 uses, infinite range, available from chater 3, usable at C-rank, in a game where every map (short of the Endgame) is Sieze? I daresay Warp is at its strongest - or at least, most impactful - in Shadow Dragon.

45 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Not to be nosey, but any chance you're afflicted with some kind of color blindness? Vision, and color perception, is just a fascinating topic to me - sometimes one of my eyes sees "warmer" hues, and the other "cooler", for instace.

Of the Fire Emblems I’ve played...

fe1- I’m not very far, on chapter 6 atm, but I’ve heard good things about Wendell.

fe6- Saul or Clarine depending on what you want. If you want pure magical staff power output, Saul is your man, but if you want a unit less good at that who dodged EVERYTHING, provides insane support bonuses it rutger and can at least hold her own offensively than it’s Clarine.

fe7- Pent for the maps he’s present for, Serra before that. Pent is an offensive god who joins with A staves. Serra is also an offensive god if you train her up.

fe8- Moulder has C staves at base, good growths, and is with you for the entire game. Although L’Arachel is objectively best girl, which is a problem for him.

fe13- I honestly don’t know much about this one, but Lissa was good at it.

Fe14 Birthright- Felicia because her stats are good for it and she’s the only unit I can honestly think of who is a staffer that’s good at it (Sakura can’t relate) and shouldn’t focus on offensive potential (Azama represent). I also can’t think of anyone else who would make a good staff user other than maybe Mitama, but her availability without grinding is yikes...

Fe14 Conquest- Elise, low skill makes her offense pretty unreliable early on, she starts in a staff class and one rank up in stats, and has insane magic.

Fe14 Revelations- Still Elise for the exact same reasons.

Fe15- Too busy sleeping, uh... Faye...?

Fe16- Marianne because she has physic and warp while also having good stats *cough* Linhardt stop getting one rounded by everything *cough*.

Edit: If you were to ask me who I think the best staff not in the franchise is, that title would go to Elise.

Edited by Sooks

4 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Not to be nosey, but any chance you're afflicted with some kind of color blindness? Vision, and color perception, is just a fascinating topic to me - sometimes one of my eyes sees "warmer" hues, and the other "cooler", for instace.

Emulator + screen color balance not being at default (it hurts my eyes).  Wouldn't be surprised if I was ever-so-slightly color blind, but all those "look at the numbers made by colored dots" came out normal for me.

9 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

How do you see something in two different ways... at once? Is that the implication here?

I'm defining a staffbot here as someone who (a) starts with staves, and (b) staff use is their most important weapon type (so Jakob/Felicia count, but RD Elincia and Micaiah don't). Subjective obviously.

DS games: I don't remember these games that well now, but I remember Lena and especially Marisha being good for their access to Hammerne. Being able to repair expensive forges and limited things like ballistas was a big deal. There were other useful unique staves in those games like Thief and Again. Think they'd get my vote.

Fates: Jakob is ridiculously good out of the gate with 6 move, decent durability, Gentilhomme, Live to Serve, and then Inspiration by Level 15 with a reclass. Felicia was good too for the same reasons, just squishier. Elise was also good due to mobility and Lily's Poise, definitely some great staff users in that game.

Awakening: Anna combines staff utility, thief utility, and a great midgame kill switch with Levin Sword.

GBA: Clarine and Priscilla both outclassed their earlygame competition pretty hard due to move being the god stat for a healer (at least before you get Physic). Clarine's the better of the two because she also grows into a ridiculously good dodgetank (and doesn't have to worry about being outclassed by Pent... who I'll also mention if we feel he counts, since A in staves!).

Echoes: Only for a small window, but Tatiana is so good at the very end. It turns out Fortify is busted in that game's damage economy.

3H: Anyone who gets Physic is very good in this game, spammable super-range healing yes please. Of the units who start with white magic, Mercedes is probably my favourite since she also has Fortify and Live to Serve, along with solid stats, but they're all good.

I think I will do the by game method

FE1 - I think I will go with Lena, as she has the ranks for warp, and gets the hammerne as personal, although she would need training (that no one really wants to risk) to get to Fortify or Barrier, which is a clear weakness.

FE2 - ???

FE3 - Yumina gets my vote due to the rescue staff being a personal staff of hers.

FE4G1 - Ethlyn, as she is both the first, and has a horse, although there is a lot of room to debate here as she does leave eventually...

FE4 - I think I will go with Claude!Erin due to flying Rescue access being rather useful...

FE5 - I would give it to Tina thanks to her personal thief staff being the best personal staff in the series (her second personal staff, the inf range unlock staff that works on both doors and chests (drawbridges too for how little that matters...), is nothing to sneeze at either).

FE6 - I will go with say Saul, mostly due to Clarine's embarrassing magic stat...

FE7 - Priscilla, she has a horse, and a passable magic stat.

FE8 - Moulder, simply because he is the first one.

FE9 - Mist, the only mage with a horse on a horse emblem game, and can help with the BK fight. Elincia is tempting as well, but she comes too late, and is a liability when she does show up...

FE10 - ??? Honestly the answer is whichever one you have access to at the time, as the part structure barely gives you a choice until act 4, and in act 4 its more about spreading them out, and in the tower you are forced to deploy some, and the deployment is strict enough that you probably shouldn't waste one on another staffbot.

FE11 - Lena again, for basically the same reason as FE1, but with less side effects in this game.

FE12 - Mallicia, as the rescue staff is no longer personal, but the hammerne still is...

FE13 - Lissa, as she is around when you most need to heal your troops.

FE14B - I think I will give it to Sakura due to her personal, but early Felicia is a strong competitor...

FE14C - Elise wins this hands down thanks to her personal skill

FE14R - Elise wins this hands down thanks to her personal skill

FE15 - ???...the difficulty here is that Faye and Silque have such solid synergy together, that I am not sure which to give it to individually...

FE16 - My intuition says Manuela, but that game is so customizable that it is hard to justify beyond warp and silence...

Claud/Azel!Lana from FE4. She comes right out of the gate with potentially some of the best staves, including warp, rescue, fortify, etc. She is very useful.

Lena is also very staffbot-ty. Comes with Warp, access to Hammerne, she's a staff queen.

Clarine is a good staffbot. You want her healing more than attacking, so she's almost always on heal duty. Saul can be good at offense, hence why I don't think he's a strict staffbot.

Mist is definitely a great staffbot. Having access to a mount helps. Rhys is also great, but light magic < horse when it comes to pure staffbotting. Like Saul, Elincia is too good of a combatant for me to write her off as a strict staffbot.

Maribelle is another good staffbot on a horse.

If Mercedes actually wielded staves (I guess wands don't count) she would be a fantastic staffbot. Access to Physic and Fortify that renews every level is so valuable for people who do nothing but heal.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

How do you see something in two different ways... at once? Is that the implication here?

I think he means 1 eye sees 'warm colors' better, while the other 1 sees 'cold colors' better.

As for me, as long as they can heal, it's good enough. Stats and other staffs will come with time.

I think the correct answer is FE1 Lena. Because it's the one fire emblem game where warp is hammerne-able for a total of 93 uses in one playthrough, factoring in the two other warp staves you can collect. And there are literally no weapons in that game you might consider using the hammerne on, since they don't work on the Regalia. She may not be the only character that can use warp but Wrys certainly cannot, so she's the first. And stats don't factor into how effective any staff is, so a bishop like Wendell is never inherently better. 

The runnerup answer is Lena in FE3 Book 1 and 11. Because nothing brings this girl down.

tbh, I don't think Clarine is a good staffbot. She's good because of her added horse utility (and situationally good combat after promotion), but in terms of pure staff utility, she's worse than Saul and even Elen because of her lower magic and staff rank (or rather same rank and later join time than Elen). Not counting availability, Niime is the best staffbot in FE6, absolutely no contest. Similar base magic as Saul or Elen at 20/20 and the potential to get S dark for another +5 magic if needed.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Echoes' Genny yet. An early Invoke is amazing, and unlike Silque Genny doesn't fall off because Genny actually has Physic. It's even better when the summoned units are weak because the opponent will always target them regardless.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

7 hours ago, L3xandr3 said:

I think he means 1 eye sees 'warm colors' better, while the other 1 sees 'cold colors' better.

As for me, as long as they can heal, it's good enough. Stats and other staffs will come with time.

Kinda that. Like, say I close my right eye, and look at something with just my left. Then vice-versa. The idea is, the hue of what I'm seeing changes slightly between views. Say, from a bluish-white to an orangey-white. It's very slight, though.

FE3- Merric, and Linde. No point in using Clerics once the Mages have promoted, or perhaps when Wendel has joined. Yumina retains invaluable value for Rescue and that alone.

FE4- Whoever you've got does the job. I think Ethlyn and Nanna are preferable due to the horse and Mend giving them fair HP regeneration.

FE5- Anyone with staff access can technically be a good 'bot here. But I didn't start spamming soon enough Nanna, nor did I early-promote Asbel, and I probably should've spammed more with Saphy before Chapter 4, and I needed to chug more staffs with Salem and Tina in general. This said, Saphy, Schroff (the visually young Claud), and Sera were my main trio. This is the quintessential staff game.

FE6- Nobody truly stands out. Takes too long to level all of the unpromoted ones, Niime and Joder come late, Cecilia's starting rank isn't perfect. I rotated out the oldies for the newer and better ones as the game progressed. I can't see myself seriously using Clarine or worse Saul or Elen.

FE7- Priscilla gets used, but she is temporary, Lucius and Pent are my main staffers here. Fairly early buyable Physics is great, but, otherwise there isn't much cool staff stuff to do.

FE8- Saleh, I'll use the tier 1 staffers, as weak as they are due to low EXP gain. This game is almost comparable to FE7 in uselessness of rare staffs.

FE9- If Volke is fielded for some stealing from hapless Priests, you can load up on Physics early. Otherwise, not much to staffing. Plentiful Physics and the lowering of the rank needed for Physics to C means promoted Soren/Ilyana/Tormod can realistically do the job besides Rhys & Mist, neither of whom is that special.

FE10- Hahahahahahahha! Staffs are almost a joke here, and by virtue of that, staff users.

FE11- Warp is back to it's pre-GBA greatness, so anyone that use it is good. With easy free reclass, technically that can be anyone this time.

FE12- Rescue and Again are back, but Warp is a lot less available, if at all, therefore staffbotting is weaker now. Easy reclass again allows for lots of good staffbots.

FE13- Maybe Maribelle is okay. When snowballing with a handful of Pair Ups, Libra and Anna take over the healer duties because they start promoted. Rescue has aggressive mobility uses being buyable before heading to Valm and usable by Falcoknights or grounded units paired to fliers.

FE14- Any of those who start with staffs are fine at botting. The new debuff staffs have limited uses, though they can be useful, and are the only real reason to make sure your staffer has a Mag stat, since for healing HP purposes Mag is garbage. This is a middle-of-the-road game for staffbots.

FE15- Faye in conjunction with Silque. Faye's Physic makes up for Silque's horrible lack of the spell. But the real reason to use both together is Warp to assassinate and Rescue to safely withdraw the assassin.

TearRing Saga- Renee and Plum. I do like how, barring Enteh and Rebecca, TRS tries to give every staff user something unique. Lyria has that Empower staff for +10 Str for the entirety of one map with 14 uses, and that pretty useless Sing ability. Katri can breathe on enemies. Mel has a horse, Ensorcel, and sword use with a horrible Str stat. Lee is the only staff unit who can use magic. Leteena has Silence. But Plum has +5 Hit/Evade to nearby allies, Dance, and if you pick Lee as your first Marlon choice, she gets Enarmor- 18 uses of halving damage taken for an entire map as soon as Chapter 2 is over. Renee has Warp, and that lets you bypass a few bleh or bad lategame maps.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer