[FE13] Rebalanced Awakening v4.21

windypanda1

Have you ever played Fire Emblem Awakening and got frustrated at the massive stat inflation, broken pair ups, nosferatu spam, boring rout maps, and same turn reinforcements spawning out of nowhere? Then you've come to the right place, because all of these problems will be addressed. The main goal of this hack is to tone down the broken or frustrating elements of the game while providing buffs to the underpowered units and classes. 

The game now plays more like Fire Emblem Fates, with a more progressive difficulty curve and lowered growths/stat caps so your units cannot snowball as hard. If you like the gameplay of Fire Emblem Fates, then you will probably enjoy this version of Awakening more than the vanilla. I've balanced this game around Hard / Lunatic Difficulty No Grind. Hard is the intended Awakening experience, and Lunatic is completely revamped so the enemies are no longer overwhelmingly strong in early game and hopefully the game is difficult in more interesting ways than raw stats and enemy spam. 

Here are all of the changes the patch includes: 

Major Changes

Spoiler

- All class bases/growths/max stats are changed to be similar to their fates equivalent. There were some classes that don't really have a strict fates equivalent like Warrior and Assassin, so I borrowed the stats of other classes. 

- Class Pairup bonuses are toned down significantly.

Spoiler

Base classes now grant a bonus to 1 stat, and Advanced classes now grant a bonus to 2 stats. Keep in mind that there are a total of 3 factors influencing Pair Up Bonuses in Awakening and class bonuses are just one of them. 

Skl = +4, Res = +4, Lck = +6, Mov = +1, Str/Mag/Spd/Def = +2

BASE CLASSES

Str: Cavalier, Barbarian, Fighter
Mag: Tactician, Mage, Dark Mage
Skl: Mercenary, Archer
Spd: Lord, Myrmidon, Thief
Luck: Priest/Cleric, Dancer, Villager
Def: Knight,Wyvern Rider
Res: Pegasus Knight, Troubadour

ADVANCED CLASSES

Str + Mag = Grandmaster
Str + Skl = Sniper, Taguel
Str + Spd = Swordmaster, Berserker
Str + Lck = 
Str + Def = General, Warrior
Str + Res = War Monk, War Cleric
Str + Mov = Paladin, Griffon Rider, Conqueror

Mag + Skl = Sorcerer
Mag + Spd = 
Mag + Lck = Sage
Mag + Def = Dark Knight
Mag + Res = Valkyrie
Mag + Mov = Dark Flier

Skl + Spd = Assassin, Hero
Skl + Lck = Bride
Skl + Def = 
Skl + Res =
Skl + Mov = Bow Knight

Spd + Lck = Great Lord, Lodestar
Spd + Def =
Spd + Res =
Spd + Mov = Trickster

Lck + Def = 
Lck + Res =
Lck + Mov = 

Def + Res = Manakete
Def + Mov = Great Knight, Wyvern Lord

Res + Mov = Falcon Knight

- All Rout objectives have been changed to Defeat the Boss, removed same-turn reinforcements and tweaked some reinforcements.

Spoiler

Reinforcement changes:
All reinforcements spawn at the beginning of player phase instead of beginning of enemy phase
Chapter 7: Wyvern Riders -> Barbarians
Chapter 9: Wyvern Riders -> Mages
Chapter 10: Hard mode = same. In Lunatic Mode, spawns less enemies on Turn 7. (last wave)
Chapter 11: All reinforcements are changed to Normal mode pattern. 
Chapter 13: All reinforcements are changed to Hard mode pattern.
Chapter 14: All reinforcements are changed to Hard mode pattern.
Chapter 16: Reinforcements are spread out to Turn 4,5,7 instead of 4,5,6. Lunatic: Additional Falcon Knight reinforcements at Turn 9.  
Chapter 17: Reinforcements at Turn 8-13 -> Reinforcements at Turn 8 and 11,12,13. At turn 18, 7 Longbow Snipers and 1 Meteor Sage will appear at spawn position to push the player into clearing the chapter.
Chapter 19: Bottom 8 forts spawn Generals only. 
Chapter 20: In Lunatic Mode, reinforcements are pushed back to Turn 6. (same as Hard Mode)
Chapter 21: In Lunatic Mode, the stairs reinforcements are pushed back 1 turn each (same as Hard Mode)
Chapter 23: Removes reinforcements at turn 5 (the group that spawns in front of your face). In Lunatic Mode, adds 3 Mire Sorcerer spawns at turn 7,8,9
Chapter 25: All reinforcements are changed to Normal mode pattern. 

- Tactician’s Veteran Skill replaced with Hit+10

- Bullion Sell Price nerfed by 50% 

- Nosferatu is no longer sold in shops

Minor Changes

Spoiler

- Renown Rewards: I included a lot of useful items that can help you clear without grinding, in case you find yourself getting stuck. They are all unlocked at 1 Renown. 

- Donnel Base stats buffed by HP+1, Str+2, Skl+2, Spd+2, Def+2; New reclass options: Cavalier and Mercenary

Panne reclass changed: Barbarian, Thief -> Barbarian, Cavalier
Cherche reclass changed: Troubadour, Cleric -> Dark Mage, Cleric. Mag growths +10%
Nowi reclass changed: Wyvern Rider, Mage -> Wyvern Rider, Mercenary

- Stahl Str+1 Def+1, Lv2 -> Lv3

- Virion Lv2->3 HP+1 Str+1

- Many more small tweaks to unit base stats to improve gameplay experience.

- Lissa and Maribelle Str Growths +10%, Lissa reclass option changed to Troubadour, Pegasus Knight -> Barbarian, Pegasus Knight

- Ricken now comes with a personal tome Grafcalibur, Mag Growths +10%

- Maribelle has Rally Resistance at base

- Henry is pre-promoted as a Lv.1 Sorcerer

- Robin all growth rates +10% (Growths were underwhelming without Veteran)

- Sully and Stahl starts with D weapon ranks and iron weapons. The iron weapon drops at chapter 2 are removed. 

- Flavia and Basilio +2 to all stats. They have A rank in both weapons, new reclass options, and they come with their Lv15 class skills at base. 

Flavia reclasses: Thief, Knight -> Wyvern Rider, Myrmidon
Basilio reclasses: Knight, Fighter -> Knight, Archer (His base class is now Barbarian instead of Fighter)

- Wind tomes no longer have flier effectiveness

- Wind and Fire tomes Mt+1

- All Bows Mt +3

- Rescue Staff adjusted to 1280 -> 3840 (x3) price

- Increased Amatsu durability to 30 -> 50, Hit 60->75

- Ward Staff buffed to give 5 -> 7 Res 

- Physic moved to C->D rank

- Mystletainn gives +5 -> +10 Skill

- Mjolnir gives +5 -> +10 Skill

- Tyrfing gives +5 -> +10 Res

- Valkyrie (Goddess Staff) durability 1->3

- Levin Sword, Longbow durability 25->30

- Olivia now comes with a personal rapier, promotion to dance fighter (Swordmaster clone, Lv5 Astra / Lv15 Galeforce)

- Missiletainn: Skl+1 removed, Durability 35->50. Built-in Sol and Luna. 

- Wyrmslayer Mt+2

- Beaststone Buff: Str+3/Skl +5/Spd+5/Lck+4/Def+1 --> Str+5/Skl+6/Spd+6/Lck+4/Def+4/Res+2

- Beaststone+ Buff: Str+5/Skl+8/Spd+8/Lck+4/Def+4/Res+2 --> Str+7/Skl+8/Spd+8/Lck+4/Def+6/Res+4

- Great Lord Sword/Lance changed to Sword/Bow

- Griffon Rider can now use swords

- General can now use swords

- Bosses have Siege tomes in Chapter 15, 17, and 20

- Various buffs/nerfs to classes. Underpowered classes such as Great Lord and Sniper are buffed, and there are slight nerfs to Mounted Classes. 

- Improved Enemy hitrates in mid-lategame, Level Curve toned down

Patch Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yiNGdnEq8eNoZKmx-vRhonqt-ylvsnts?usp=sharing

How to patch the ROM (3DS Hardware): 

Spoiler

1. First, your 3DS needs to be modded. If you don't have custom firmware installed, follow this step-by-step guide: https://3ds.hacks.guide/

2. Then, follow these simple instructions here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-easy-3ds-game-modding-with-luma.497877/

How to patch the ROM (Citra): 

Spoiler

1. Using Citra's Built in Mod Function (Recommended):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3kN20Nras0

2. Using DotNet3DSToolkit to build a .3DS Rom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX9u9cI5Lpg

Using Citra's mod function is easier but if you are alternating between many mods, I recommend building a rom with DotNet3DSToolkit. 

How to make changes to 3DS Fire Emblem using Paragon Editor:

Spoiler

Special Thanks: 

Spoiler

Lightcosmo for teaching me how to read hex, honestly I would have never gotten anywhere if it wasn't for you, so huge thanks. 

Thane98 for making the awesome Paragon Editor

StairFacts for helping out with a lot of tedious work 

Heritor for helping me out with some changes 

Many fire emblem friends for discussing potential changes

Kamehamehayes, WyvernNicola, ilavain, Cyanyoh, and more for providing playtest feedback

It would be greatly appreciated if people could playtest this and share feedback, bugs, or suggest new balance changes. If you have anything you want to talk to me about in real time, feel free to contact me on discord: windypanda1#4593. 

Edited by windypanda1

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, windypanda1 said:

Lightcosmo for teaching me how to read hex, honestly I would have never gotten anywhere if it wasn't for you, so huge thanks. 

I didn't really do much, you were willing to learn it! 

Anyways, i'm sure i'll be taking a look at everything!

> Have you ever played Fire Emblem Awakening and got frustrated at the massive stat inflation, broken pair ups, nosferatu spam

Yes. 

> wyvern same turn reinforcements spawning out of nowhere?

No because this does not happen in Awakening. Falcons, yes, Wyverns, no. 

All class bases/growths/max stats are changed to their fates equivalent. There were some classes that don't really have a direct fates equivalent like Warrior and Assassin, so I had to borrow the stats of other classes. 

Why would you need to lift stats from Fates in the first place. That game is a completely different context and the stats from that game are designed around that context and it's setting. You don't need to borrow stats from other classes from other games at all. Putting Fates numbers into Awakening isn't good design practice, and Fates isn't necessarily well balanced with its stats anyway regardless. 

Map changes to make same-turn reinforcements fairer to play against

I think the main issue is the fact that they're same turn reinforcements despite the fact that there's no real reason for them to be so, than anything else. Heck Mila's Tree reinforcements would be fine if they weren't same turn but still came from the same place. 

> Donnel growths nerfed, bases buffed, new reclasses

Struggling to see why a unit who's gone from having really bad bases to having bad base would need a Growths nerf (and a nerf to their base Luck) in the first place, especially considering every other unit also has good enough growths. 

> Dark Flier’s Galeforce replaced with Despoil

I get nerfing Dark Flier by removing Galeforce even if it can't really be used much now that Robin no longer has Veteran, but there isn't any reason to replace it with a largely useless and uninteresting skill. 

> Wind Tome no longer hits flier effectiveness

There isn't much point in buffing Ricken and then doing this since the effectiveness gave him a legitimately useful role on join. It's not like Aircalibur having flier effectiveness replaced Bows being your primary anti flier tool in FE6. Same applies with Wind here if we assume pegs have actual res stats. 

> Dark Fliers can use Dark Magic

There's never been any lore connecting Dark Fliers to Dark Magic, they're simply called Dark Fliers due to the colour of their Falcons. There isn't any reason why they'd use Dark Magic other than someone mistakenly thinking it didn't need to go any deeper than the two having dark in their name. 

Basilio reclasses: Knight, Archer (Base Class is now Barbarian)

Barbarian Basilio seems like an unnecessary change considering, it'd put him in a 5 Mov unpromoted class, he loses out on Rally Strength utility which can help out rng screwed units in the late game (thus easing the risk of soft locks), he's your only second base Bows user and his portrait is still a Warrior portrait so intuitively one would still expect him to be a Warrior. 

> wyvern same turn reinforcements spawning out of nowhere?

No because this does not happen in Awakening. Falcons, yes, Wyverns, no. 

It happens on Chapter 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, and 19 🙂

> All class bases/growths/max stats are changed to their fates equivalent. There were some classes that don't really have a direct fates equivalent like Warrior and Assassin, so I had to borrow the stats of other classes. 

Why would you need to lift stats from Fates in the first place. That game is a completely different context and the stats from that game are designed around that context and it's setting. You don't need to borrow stats from other classes from other games at all. Putting Fates numbers into Awakening isn't good design practice, and Fates isn't necessarily well balanced with its stats anyway regardless. 

Because making bases/growths/caps on my own for every class is difficult. The main purpose was to lower the stat caps/growths overall so units can't snowball out of control, and Fates happened to be a handy source material. Please tell me exactly how Fates isn't well balanced with its stats so that I may consider tweaking the stats a bit more.

> Map changes to make same-turn reinforcements fairer to play against

I think the main issue is the fact that they're same turn reinforcements despite the fact that there's no real reason for them to be so, than anything else. Heck Mila's Tree reinforcements would be fine if they weren't same turn but still came from the same place. 

I 100% agree with you here. Unfortunately, it is a lot harder to remove units from the map than just replacing them, so I did my best to try to lower the impact of same-turn reinforcements by replacing the mounted units with footlocked units. 

> Donnel growths nerfed, bases buffed, new reclasses

Struggling to see why a unit who's gone from having really bad bases to having bad base would need a Growths nerf (and a nerf to their base Luck) in the first place, especially considering every other unit also has good enough growths. 

The purpose was to not let Donnel break the game with his monster growths, and instead give him better base stats so his start is a lot less rough. According to my playtest, it was a lot easier to baby Donnel with his improved stats, and he still turns out to be a fantastic unit, but not a complete one man army, which is where I wanted him to be. I nerfed his luck because he was capping wayyyyy too early, but it might have been unnecessary. 

> Dark Flier’s Galeforce replaced with Despoil

I get nerfing Dark Flier by removing Galeforce even if it can't really be used much now that Robin no longer has Veteran, but there isn't any reason to replace it with a largely useless and uninteresting skill. 

There is a valid reason and that is: Galeforce is broken asf. But I do agree that Despoil is rather uninteresting. If you have a better idea for a replacement skill, please let me know. 

> Wind Tome no longer hits flier effectiveness

There isn't much point in buffing Ricken and then doing this since the effectiveness gave him a legitimately useful role on join. It's not like Aircalibur having flier effectiveness replaced Bows being your primary anti flier tool in FE6. Same applies with Wind here if we assume pegs have actual res stats. 

This is pretty true. The main goal here was to increase Archer viability, but Ricken might have been unjustly impacted. Maybe I'll have to take an approach of increasing Bow Availibility instead of nerfing Wind Tomes. I'm not sure how to approach this issue but it will be top on my priority list for the next fix. 

> Dark Fliers can use Dark Magic

There's never been any lore connecting Dark Fliers to Dark Magic, they're simply called Dark Fliers due to the colour of their Falcons. There isn't any reason why they'd use Dark Magic other than someone mistakenly thinking it didn't need to go any deeper than the two having dark in their name. 

Ok. I think it is a pretty cool change nontheless. I don't really see this as a big problem. 

> Basilio reclasses: Knight, Archer (Base Class is now Barbarian)

Barbarian Basilio seems like an unnecessary change considering, it'd put him in a 5 Mov unpromoted class, he loses out on Rally Strength utility which can help out rng screwed units in the late game (thus easing the risk of soft locks), he's your only second base Bows user and his portrait is still a Warrior portrait so intuitively one would still expect him to be a Warrior. 

I'm sorry for confusing you. Basilio is in a Warrior class. Barbarians can promote into Warriors. His unpromoted class is now Barbarian instead of Fighter. 

Edited by windypanda1

Ok. I think it is a pretty cool change nontheless. I don't really see this as a big problem. 

The problem with giving dark knights and dark fliers access to dark tomes is what’s the point of sorcerer existing? There’s literally no reason to promote to sorcerer now since you could just go dark knight or dark flier and funnie nosferatu.

Because making bases/growths/caps on my own for every class is difficult. The main purpose was to lower the stat caps/growths overall so units can't snowball out of control, and Fates happened to be a handy source material. Please tell me exactly how Fates isn't well balanced with its stats so that I may consider tweaking the stats a bit more.

The problem with just copy pasting stats from fates is the play-style of some classes have been changed from awakening to fates (see warrior -> oni chieftain). Using sorcerers as an example again, in Awakening, sorcerers were meant to be a bulky mage unlike sage, which trades bulk for speed and staves. But if you took two seconds to look at onmyoji’s defense and sorcerer’s defense in fates, you’d see that sorcerer only has two more defense, meaning it’s hardly that bulky anymore. You really should play-test class stats so the classes actually feel like the classes they were in awakening.

I’m gonna use something else as an example, Project Ember (an fe6 romhack that “overhauls” fe6), more specifically, Lilina. In vanilla fe6, Lilina is slow but has high magic and resistance... and she sucks. In project ember, however, they buffed Lilina so she’s actually good, but not by buffing her speed. They still kept the image of Lilina (that image being high mag, res, and staff usage) so she plays the exact same as she would in vanilla. However you’re changing how certain classes play without even realizing it. Sorcerer isn’t bulky anymore, and now there’s no reason to sacrifice the two movement from dark knight for sorcerer.

In addition to the above, I would recommend against giving dark knights and dark fliers dark tome access. That doesn’t balance the game. There’s now virtually no reason to stay as a sorcerer.

Edited by Sooks

I think there's a lot of good ideas here. Something that falls between Hard and Lunatic would be the perfect challenge without grinding and you'd still be able to use any character you want pretty much. I agree with most of the changes, especially nerfing ambush units who are cheap as hell in some chapters. I'm really excited to check it out. I cannot get enough of Awakening though I recognize it's flaws. 

I agree with others about giving dark magic to other classes. Having it for sorcerors forced you to use them. Nosferatu still needed to be nerfed anyway though and the cost was a really interesting way to do it. 

I agree on taking away away wind magic's effectiveness to flyers. It made wyvern's feel too weak to me. That might just be becasue my first FE games were the GBA ones.

2 hours ago, Tungsten Dioxide said:

They still kept the image of Lilina (that image being high mag, res, and staff usage) so she plays the exact same as she would in vanilla.

Personally, I find this mindset a bit limiting. What's wrong with changing how a character plays? That doesnt change their "core" at all. 

He is simply trying to make it more enjoyable, not necessarily stay faithful to vanilla. 

Alright, thanks a lot for the feedback guys! It seems like I was wrong about giving Dark Knights/Dark Fliers dark magic access, as it does indeed take away the reason you would want to use Sorcerers. 

6 hours ago, Tungsten Dioxide said:

The problem with giving dark knights and dark fliers access to dark tomes is what’s the point of sorcerer existing? There’s literally no reason to promote to sorcerer now since you could just go dark knight or dark flier and funnie nosferatu.

The problem with just copy pasting stats from fates is the play-style of some classes have been changed from awakening to fates (see warrior -> oni chieftain). Using sorcerers as an example again, in Awakening, sorcerers were meant to be a bulky mage unlike sage, which trades bulk for speed and staves. But if you took two seconds to look at onmyoji’s defense and sorcerer’s defense in fates, you’d see that sorcerer only has two more defense, meaning it’s hardly that bulky anymore. You really should play-test class stats so the classes actually feel like the classes they were in awakening.

I’m gonna use something else as an example, Project Ember (an fe6 romhack that “overhauls” fe6), more specifically, Lilina. In vanilla fe6, Lilina is slow but has high magic and resistance... and she sucks. In project ember, however, they buffed Lilina so she’s actually good, but not by buffing her speed. They still kept the image of Lilina (that image being high mag, res, and staff usage) so she plays the exact same as she would in vanilla. However you’re changing how certain classes play without even realizing it. Sorcerer isn’t bulky anymore, and now there’s no reason to sacrifice the two movement from dark knight for sorcerer.

Nosferatu has been nerfed to 5000 gold. Coupled with the Bullion sell price nerf, it should cost you a LOT of money if you want to cheese levels with Nosferatu.

About your second point, hmm... I never really thought about how what I did could diminish the uniqueness of each class. This would require a lot of studying the game on my part. It could be great if you could provide some more examples of these discrepancies. 

5 hours ago, Femboy Advance SP said:

If you're going to make awakening more like fates I highly suggest changing second seals to function the way heart seals did.  Having to grind 10+ levels just for one skill really makes the game a slog compared to only having to spend a max 4 levels as the class in fates.

I’m sorry. I agree with you but this is something that is deeprooted in the game’s mechanics and I’m afraid it’s out of my reach, unless someone teaches me how to change it.

I’ll have to dwell a bit further on how to make Archers more usable, it definitely doesn’t help that the game gives you LITERALLY 1 base archer the entire game.

For now, due to popular demand, I will change the patch to remove dark tome access from dark knight/dark fliers. I guess I’ll call it a v1.1.

Edited by windypanda1

Also, I’m really sorry if I came off as rude. Sometimes I get a bit too focused and forget that I’m talking to another human lol

It could be great if you could provide some more examples of these discrepancies. 

I’ll look out for anything else in the classes that doesn’t entirely work uwu

43 minutes ago, Tungsten Dioxide said:

Also, I’m really sorry if I came off as rude. Sometimes I get a bit too focused and forget that I’m talking to another human lol

I’ll look out for anything else in the classes that doesn’t entirely work uwu

It’s fine, you provided some interesting points. And I’ll be looking forward to more feedback!

How broken do you want Dark Fliers?  I think Despoil makes them rather bleh.  So. . .

1. If you want something fairly busted, see if Aggressor works.
2. If you want some semblance of balance, perhaps something like Lifetaker (not that your Dark Flier should take much damage in the first place).
3. If you just want something quirky, Underdog/Pass?

I've been receiving a lot of feedback from here, reddit, and from some of my friends. For now, I'm making these changes:

1. Dancer reverted to 5 MOV

- An argument could be made that Olivia was really difficult to keep alive with too many annoying same-turn reinforcements, but now that this patch made those less of an issue, the extra point is a bit unwarranted. 

2. Javelin/Hand Axe reverted to 25 uses 

- This change fixes literally nothing so I would rather just revert it.  

3. Dark Flier reverted to have Galeforce again

- I really do not like the current implementation, so I opted to give back Dark Fliers' Galeforce until I find an adequate alternative to balance them. 

4. Donnel reverted to original growths

- His base stats are still subpar compared to other units, I haven't even playtested him with his original growths with all the new stat changes (fates system) that already happened so I want to give this a try. 

5. Ward buffed to provide 7 Res

- 5 -> 6 Res really isn't enough to change much. 

6. Rescue Staff adjusted to 1280 -> 3840 (x3) price

- Rescue is way too underpriced for the amount of utility it provides. I want to encourage people to use their provided staff uses more carefully and discourage people from buying it in mass numbers. 

Edited by windypanda1

8 hours ago, eclipse said:

How broken do you want Dark Fliers?  I think Despoil makes them rather bleh.  So. . .

2. If you want some semblance of balance, perhaps something like Lifetaker (not that your Dark Flier should take much damage in the first place).

I don't actually think that you can put this on a class without it counting as an outrealm skill still but it sounds like a fun idea!

About the point that was made earlier about Ricken being impacted the wind tome nerf, what if I gave a sort of personal weapon that will give Ricken back its flier effectiveness? Unfortunately there is no option within paragon editor to assign personal weapons to Ricken, but I can try doing something like giving him C tomes at base and making his held weapon a C tome, so Robin and Miriel can’t steal it while they are stuck at D.

11 hours ago, eclipse said:

Agressor is pretty busted, I’d just give Dark Fliers galeforce at that point ahaha. Lifetaker doesn’t really fit the playstyle of Dark Fliers well. Underdog nah, Pass maybe. My friend suggested granting shadowgift at Lv.15 now that they don’t have dark tome access, and I think that is also a pretty decent idea.

An argument was made at a seperate thread that the only reason to use Dark Fliers was to obtain Galeforce access because the class stats are pretty mediocre. If I were to replace galeforce with a worse skill, I would have to give slight buffs to their stats.

Edited by windypanda1

Maybe you could give Dark Fliers Canto from FE3H instead of Galeforce? It will keep the 'move again' part but won't allow for attacking a second time. You could also use Transmutate, but I feel like it's a bad skills for Dark Fliers as it requires them to get hit. (Yes, I only really know FE3H, sorry.)

6 hours ago, AryaReady said:

Maybe you could give Dark Fliers Canto from FE3H instead of Galeforce? It will keep the 'move again' part but won't allow for attacking a second time. You could also use Transmutate, but I feel like it's a bad skills for Dark Fliers as it requires them to get hit. (Yes, I only really know FE3H, sorry.)

Simply programming skills into Awakenings engine isn't that simple, all we can really do is swap them around right now.

6 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Simply programming skills into Awakenings engine isn't that simple, all we can really do is swap them around right now.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm sure there's a lot of work going into this that I don't completely understand, so thanks for letting me know!

Maybe Iote's Shield would work since it's already in Awakening? It could really change how Dark Fliers are played though so maybe not.

Version 1.3 is out. I reverted Ricken's buffs to his bases/growths, and instead gave him Grafcalibur, a modded Excalibur. 

Weapon Rank: C (This means Ricken joins at C tomes, of course)

Durability: 30
Mt: 7
Hit: 95
Crit: 30
FLIER EFFECTIVENESS

Since I completely removed wind tome's flier effectiveness, Ricken sorta lost his niche, and this fix attempts to solve that issue. He will still have poor bases but instead comes with a pretty powerful tome that no one else can use for a while. 

Edited by windypanda1

• 2 weeks later...

I am finally addressing Bows. The one archer the game gives you the entire game starts at Level 2 and comes with poor bases. Awakening at its core is a very enemy-phase centric game and coupled with the Infinite Javelin/Hand Axe supply makes Bows really unappealing to use. Since it is difficult to change the core design of the game itself, I decided to take an approach of Buffing the beginning archer and adding +1 Maximum Range to all bows so they may stay out of combat more easily. I guess this is v1.4.

Virion's Base Level: 2 -> 5

Virion's Base Stats Buff:  Spd +2 -> Str+1, Skl+1, Def+2, Res+1, Spd+2

All bows' maximum range has been increased by +1 (Regular bows have 2~3 range, Longbows have 2~4 range)

Sniper stat buff reverted to normal

------------------------------------

The hack has been through quite a few changes by now, and I think feedback has definitely made this romhack a lot more solid overall than it was at the beginning, and I want to thank everyone who has show interest! I updated the documentation to the current patch, and there is also a changelog in the gdrive with all the previous versions so you can check that out if you want. I am personally going to begin my second playthrough and it would be great if some people could join in on the fun, maybe we could pace a run together. 

Edited by windypanda1

Something I have failed to consider with the Archer range buff is the fact that it can trivialize some boss fights due to them not being able to counter. I’ll have to look into adding some Renewals or 3 range weapons to the bosses. 

Another thing that needs tweaking is stat bonuses in pair up/weapons. It is unfair to treat something like Skill or Res the same as Str or Speed. On my second playthrough, I am aiming to go through the game thoroughly and polish the hack to create a more enjoyable experience.

Edited by windypanda1

Good news, I found out how to do script editing so now I can change the map objectives and delete reinforcements. I will be changing ALL of the Rout maps into Boss Kill maps, and I will be looking into the reinforcements in Awakening to determine which ones are the good ones and which ones need to go. Personally, I think the ones that encourage you to move through the map quicker are the good ones, and the ones that spawn right in front of you are the bad ones. Along with this, some Boss edits, and some more balance tweaks, I'll be releasing a sizable update soon which will hopefully make the gameplay even better. I guess I could call it a v2.0. After I'm finished with this, I plan on sharing this project to other forums such as gamebanana and gbatemp. 

Alright, a big update is here. WIthout further ado, let's get to the changes!

1. Bow range buff REVERTED

Spoiler

I realized that increasing Bows' range messes with the game's balance and map design way too much, so I decided to revert it. 

2. Longbow reworked

Spoiler

Mt:  9 -> 11

Range: 2~3 -> 2~4

-5 Speed when equipped

Unlocked to all bow-using classes

Hopefully this buff will give Archers some more viability without making enemy archers way too frustrating to play against.

3. Sumia Base Speed +1

Spoiler

This one may not seem as big, but with this buff, Sumia can double the archers in her chapter which helps her snowball considerably. 

4. Henry

Spoiler

Henry starts out prepromoted as a Lv.1 Sorcerer. Henry is several levels behind in his recruit chapter and hopefully this will help him find more viability. 

5. Boss Changes

Spoiler

Chapter 15, 17, and 20 will have some changes to the bosses that I encourage you to find out by playing!

6. Map changes

Spoiler

- ALL Rout maps have been changed into Defeat Commander, with the exception of the Prologue (impossible to change) and Paralogues.

- Changes to Reinforcements (including the ones in the previous patch): 

IMO, the good reinforcements are the ones that encourage you to move through the map quickly, and the bad reinforcements are the ones that spawn in front of your face. These changes to reinforcements were made with this philosophy in mind.

Removed ch5 reinforcements

Replaced ch7 Wyvern reinforcements with Barbarians
Ch9 wyvern reinforcements replaced with mages, removed soldier+mage reinforcements that spawn near general
Removed ch10 reinforcements
Removed ch11 reinforcements
Removed ch13 reinforcements
Removed ch14 reinforcements
Ch16 removed pegasus/falcon knight reinforcements, replaced the others with fighters
Removed ch17 reinforcements
Ch19 replaced bottom fort reinforcements with generals
Ch20 retained reinforcements because it encourages you to rush the map
Ch21 retained reinforcements that spawn behind you (Turn 5/7 on Hard + Mire Mages), removed the rest
Ch23 retained reinforcements because it seriously compromises the difficulty of the map otherwise
Removed ch24 reinforcements
Ch25 retained the general reinforcements that spawn behind you (Turn 4/5 on Hard), removed the rest

7. Pair up Adjustments

Spoiler

Skill bonus: +3 -> +4

Res bonus: +2 -> +4

Luck bonus: +4 -> +6

These changes were made because Skill/Res/Luck pairups are naturally subpar compared to Strength and Speed and they need a bigger stat boost to be worth using at all.

8. More Item Adjustments

Spoiler

Mystletainn gives +5 -> +10 Skill 

Mjolnir gives +5 -> +10 Skill

Tyrfing gives +5 -> +10 Res

Same idea with number 7, Skill/Res needs higher boosts to be on par with the other useful stat boosts.

9. Sniper Buff

Spoiler

- Base Strength buffed by 2

- Base Speed buffed by 2

These changes were made so the Sniper class would clearly distinguish itself from bow knight in terms of offensive potency. 

I will be wiping the previous patches from the google drive and updating the documentation on the original post. This patch has come a pretty long way and I think I have finally made a version of Awakening that I can be proud of. Have fun playing!

Edited by windypanda1

Wow that was fast, I thought redsigning all the maps and stuff would take at least a week. Though I have no experience with rom hacking so maybe it goes by a lot faster than I thought. 

I still think that the dual strike mechanics are too strong since they allow multiple dual strikes per round. Is it possible to limit it to only happening once per round, or make it like Fates where it is guaranteed for half damage?