[FE13] Rebalanced Awakening v4.21

windypanda1

1 hour ago, Kamehamehayes said:

Wow that was fast, I thought redsigning all the maps and stuff would take at least a week. Though I have no experience with rom hacking so maybe it goes by a lot faster than I thought. 

I still think that the dual strike mechanics are too strong since they allow multiple dual strikes per round. Is it possible to limit it to only happening once per round, or make it like Fates where it is guaranteed for half damage? 

I worked really hard on it yesterday and today ahaha. 
I am aware that the dual strike mechanics are pretty broken in Awakening, but unfortunately it is outside of the scope of what I can do. At least Pair up bonuses are less broken now?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to do one small thing: Buffing Snipers by Str+2 and Spd+2 (enemy growths have been nerfed accordingly so they are not too strong). 

I also added some more difficulty to Chapter 17 with some Boss changes. 

I don't think this is big enough to warrant a new version so I'll just add it into v2.0.

If you have already downloaded v2.0, I recommend updating it to the current v2.0. Sorry for making tiny little changes all the time,  I know it can be kind of hard to keep up. I always keep the OP updated to the latest changes though so if you've lost track, I recommend rereading through it. 

Edited by windypanda1

Looking through the patch notes, I completely agree that buffing longbow's range and giving them -5 speed is a great way of making archers more viable without making them broken.

However, I looked up the locations of the longbows and you only get them as enemy drops in ch 13 and ch 20 and you can't buy them from random merchants spawning until ch 21. I believe that the two longbows you get are too few and too late to make archers a more viable unit. In my few playthroughs of awakening, I found that archers really struggle in the deserts of ch 8 and ch 9, so do you think that dropping a longbow in ch 7 or in ch 8 would make them more viable in the deserts and a better unit overall? 

On 1/20/2021 at 3:52 AM, Kamehamehayes said:

Looking through the patch notes, I completely agree that buffing longbow's range and giving them -5 speed is a great way of making archers more viable without making them broken.

However, I looked up the locations of the longbows and you only get them as enemy drops in ch 13 and ch 20 and you can't buy them from random merchants spawning until ch 21. I believe that the two longbows you get are too few and too late to make archers a more viable unit. In my few playthroughs of awakening, I found that archers really struggle in the deserts of ch 8 and ch 9, so do you think that dropping a longbow in ch 7 or in ch 8 would make them more viable in the deserts and a better unit overall? 

You are right. I might add another longbow earlier into the game in version 2.1.

However, I am concerned that giving players too many longbows might trivialize some of the boss fights, so I’ll have to look into that.

Edited by windypanda1

I think I agree with using Shadowgift as the lv15 skill to Dark Fliers, provided it playtests well, but if so, consider also doing the reverse and replace Shadowgift with Galeforce as Aversa's personal skill in all her chapters as enemy and in her paralogue.

Pretty cool mod, I have been thinking of something like this for years. The changes sounds good, as a Lunatic player I want to find out how much the game changes. As for the Galeforce topic I think is fine because it's a lategame skill if you don't grind your way to victory but if some tweak is possible I suggest making the skill function more like Canto: make unable to attack again after attacking/killing and/or nerf movement after attacking. And for reinforcements, it's not possible to make them move the next turn they spawn? I guess no if you went through the trouble of replacing them with footlocked enemies. 

Additionally I like to live and die by the dice but Lunatic+ is literally broken mainly because of Counter. Luna+, Hawkeye, Pavis+ and Aegis+ are enough to avoid using your best tank and steamroll the game, adding Counter is overkill. Can you tell me where should I look to delete that enemy skill on that difficulty? 

Hey, windypanda. I just playtested ch 5 and the ambush spawns from the forts are still there. Other than that my playthrough has been really enjoyable. 

Edit: After playing the map again and getting further there are three ambush spawn reinforcements in a row spread across turns 3-5, and the boss also begins moving around turn 5 creating a massive enemy swarm that you can't handle (unless you get a lucky kill on the boss). This map definitely need significant changes to its design imo.

Edited by Kamehamehayes

23 hours ago, Kamehamehayes said:

Hey, windypanda. I just playtested ch 5 and the ambush spawns from the forts are still there. Other than that my playthrough has been really enjoyable. 

Edit: After playing the map again and getting further there are three ambush spawn reinforcements in a row spread across turns 3-5, and the boss also begins moving around turn 5 creating a massive enemy swarm that you can't handle (unless you get a lucky kill on the boss). This map definitely need significant changes to its design imo.

That is really weird. I playtested every single map change to make sure they worked... Are you playing on the latest version (v2.0)? The versions before them do not have those changes. 

Edited by windypanda1

23 hours ago, Morian said:

Pretty cool mod, I have been thinking of something like this for years. The changes sounds good, as a Lunatic player I want to find out how much the game changes. As for the Galeforce topic I think is fine because it's a lategame skill if you don't grind your way to victory but if some tweak is possible I suggest making the skill function more like Canto: make unable to attack again after attacking/killing and/or nerf movement after attacking. And for reinforcements, it's not possible to make them move the next turn they spawn? I guess no if you went through the trouble of replacing them with footlocked enemies. 

Additionally I like to live and die by the dice but Lunatic+ is literally broken mainly because of Counter. Luna+, Hawkeye, Pavis+ and Aegis+ are enough to avoid using your best tank and steamroll the game, adding Counter is overkill. Can you tell me where should I look to delete that enemy skill on that difficulty? 

Editing how skills work is outside of my scope. 

Editing how reinforcements spawn is also outside of my scope. Now with script editing, I was able to delete most reinforcements from the game.

I do not know how to edit skills for Hard/Lunatic mode. Paragon lets you edit the normal mode, and then there seems to be another section of the code dedicated to adding stats/skills to the enemy for the harder modes. I would recommend asking lightcosmo on the forums.

I am sorry I could not give you satisfactory answers for anything...

6 minutes ago, Kamehamehayes said:

yeah I'm certain I'm playing the newest version, even has defeat commander as the objective.

Screenshot (20).png

You are right, the reinforcements were not properly deleted. I'll post a v2.1 with the fix. Thank you so much for telling me this!

Edit: v2.1 is out in the google drive. I also made an oversight with LordF (Lucina)'s promotion gains so I shipped in that change as well. Sorry for the inconveniences.

Edited by windypanda1

Time to answer some more feedback!

On 1/21/2021 at 11:06 PM, Mr. Mister said:

I think I agree with using Shadowgift as the lv15 skill to Dark Fliers, provided it playtests well, but if so, consider also doing the reverse and replace Shadowgift with Galeforce as Aversa's personal skill in all her chapters as enemy and in her paralogue.

Sure. It seems most people have no problems just leaving the Galeforce there as it is, so it's not exactly a high priority for me to fix it at the moment. 

On 1/24/2021 at 1:21 PM, CultivatedFinch said:

Since you've added a speed penalty to longbows, I was thinking you could add speed penalties for other weapons to simulate weapon weight, like -3 speed on Steel Swords. It would offer more incentive to use different weapons instead of just strictly upgrading to higher tiers.

To be completely honest, I do not want to go through the trouble of adding weight to all of the weapons. I might do it for a few more weapons that could be balanced that way, but not in an expansive weight system.

1 hour ago, CultivatedFinch said:

I want to ask something, though...did editing the game in Paragon give you any issues? When I try to edit anything and bring it into Citra to try it out, the game just takes me to some debug test map. Your mod didn't seem to do that.

I’ve never experienced anything like that. I’ll try to help you if you could DM me a little more detailed explanation with screenshots.

12 hours ago, windypanda1 said:

I do not know how to edit skills for Hard/Lunatic mode. Paragon lets you edit the normal mode, and then there seems to be another section of the code dedicated to adding stats/skills to the enemy for the harder modes. I would recommend asking lightcosmo on the forums.

You can find the bits for the harder mode skills in the person files like with editing stats. 

They are right below the character stats/caps for enemies. 

It goes set skills ---> set skills per mode.

6 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

You can find the bits for the harder mode skills in the person files like with editing stats. 

They are right below the character stats/caps for enemies. 

It goes set skills ---> set skills per mode.

^ (lol)

You always deliver, thanks a lot for your contributions! 

Some changes I will make soon:

- Another Longbow, possibly in Paralogue 1 or 2

Archers could definitely contribute more in the early chapters with a longbow. If you are using more than 1 Archer, 25x2 uses is not going to be enough.

- Buffs to Maribelle

Maribelle really struggles to make herself worth a teamslot due to Lissa who can hog all the early game heal exp for herself, and Libra and Anna who are prepromotes with crazy good base stats. I may experiment with giving her a Rally Resistance at base.

- Paralogue 3 villager AI fix

The villagers charge at the enemy with no equipment and it’s very difficult to keep them alive especially with the added difficulty in this hack.

Edited by windypanda1

Alright, v2.2 is out!

Changes: 

Maribelle now has Rally Resistance at base

Paralogue 2 Boss drops Longbow

Paralogue 3 Villager AI fixed to stand still

Boss tweaks in Chapter 15 and 17 (it's still a secret)

Hi! I've been keeping an eye on this Fan Project, and I really like your commitment to presenting it, and also updating it regularly! It's been a real pleasure and real interesting to read the comments. I'll probabyl publish a Fates Rebalancing project in February, thought there's some things that's I'd still like to change that I don't know how (like modifying some skills effects), so I'll hope to get the same engage and feedback yours is getting!

Nice project!

10 hours ago, MWilder said:

Hi! I've been keeping an eye on this Fan Project, and I really like your commitment to presenting it, and also updating it regularly! It's been a real pleasure and real interesting to read the comments. I'll probabyl publish a Fates Rebalancing project in February, thought there's some things that's I'd still like to change that I don't know how (like modifying some skills effects), so I'll hope to get the same engage and feedback yours is getting!

Nice project!

Hey thanks a lot, this is more about my enjoyment in replaying Awakening than anything else, so I work really hard on it to make the hack fun to play. 

I realized that there is something weird going on in Manakete's stat caps. I realized that Manakete has a strength cap of 41 which is 1 point higher than Berserker, and Vanilla Awakening has Manakete's strength cap at 40 while Berserker has 50, so there is obviously something wrong. Then I realized the problem. Taguel has comparatively low stat caps, especially in Str, while Wolfssenger has very solid stat caps all around. And thus, the formula I used to measure Manakete's growths, which is

Manakete's stat caps = Wolfssenger stat caps + (Manakete's stat caps - Taguel's stat caps)

Added the already good Wolfssenger's stat caps on to the Manakete's caps which are mostly superior to the Taguel's caps, resulting in this monster. I honestly have no idea how I thought this was balanced when I first changed it. 

I think the giant disparity between Taguel's caps and Wolfssenger's caps is due to beaststones in the 2 games giving different stat gains. I'll have to work on completely fixing the caps of both classes. I think there is no problem with the class growths. 

Also, I will be giving Robin a +10% boost in all stats since me and some playtesters have agreed that Robin's growths are underwhelming and Robin tends to fall behind in stats. This might be a side effect of removing veteran from Robin. 

Expect another patch soon!

Edited by windypanda1

Alright, v2.4 is out. 

Changes: 

Robin +10% to all growth rates

Fixed Taguel and Manakete's Max Stats (I did some epic gamer math https://imgur.com/a/zN8lAbp)

Edit:

I noticed the enemy Sorcerer's skill stats were way too low, so I hotfixed v2.4 to buff enemy Sorcerer's skill stat. I don't think this is big enough to warrant a v2.5 so I just included it in v2.4.

Edited by windypanda1

• 1 month later...

Hello, it's been a while since I worked on this. I decided to nerf Walhart's stats by Str -2, Skl -2, Spd -2 because his base stats were exactly the same as in vanilla Awakening and I thought it was a bit overbearing for the player to play against him. Also, I buffed Virion's HP by +3 because he is supposed to be a few levels ahead of his original but I forgot to scale his HP up accordingly. These are pretty minor changes so I also shipped it in v2.4. 

I initially let the chapter 22 deadlords drop all 12 of the holy weapons as a kind of a joke, but I feel like it could be more interesting if the player can get access to some of these weapons earlier to help out with their playthrough (especially weapons like the Tyrfing and Forseti), so I am going to see if I can implement something like that. 

I've been working on trying to make bows viable but nothing has had much of an impact so far. I will try playing around with 1-2 range bows.