[FE13] Rebalanced Awakening v4.21

windypanda1

8 hours ago, windypanda1 said:

Hello, sorry for the pretty long absense. I've been focusing on other interests so I have been neglecting this hack. I have some things I want to go over.

First of all, the Gay hack. I am personally not very interested in the gay hack, but I know that a ton of people are. I now know how to make my hack compatible with the gay hack but I don't plan on implementing it in the main patch because I think that would be stealing other people's work. Once I am mostly finished with creating this romhack, I might release a compatible version. In the meantime, maybe some other talented people can help out?

Fixing DLC is on low priority for me, sorry about that... Ricken Conquest is a known bug. I actually flagged him as Walhart so I can assign a personal weapon to him. Grafcalibur is actually a Walhart-only weapon. 

Lastly, some users have reported that the game crashes after beating Chapter 7. I never had this issue, but I sent out a new v4.0.3 patch, can anyone test if it works now?

I will continue working on the Lunatic patch along with some other tweaks once I get back to developing this hack. Thanks y'all for showing a lot of interest. 

Update: v4.0.3 doesn't fix the crash. Chapter 7 works fine on citra but crashes on 3DS... I'll try to figure out why. 

Finally fixed Chapter 7. If you are playing in 3DS, download the current v4.0.3 patch. 

Edited by windypanda1

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I was developing Lunatic Mode but I just couldn't find the motivation to finish it. Making the maps both challenging and fun to play sure is a challenge. Therefore, I just decided to get a few more changes out first. Here are the changes for v4.1.

1. Dark Knight Atk+2 Spd+1, Speed Cap 27->29

Dark Knights have an abnormally low speed cap, and actually loses 1 speed if you promote from mage. I increased the speed cap and bumped up its speed base a little so mage promotion doesn't lose speed. 

2. Swordmaster Speed Cap 35->37, Skill Cap 32 -> 34

Last patch I gave a sizable boost to swordmaster's skill stat but I never really did anything about its caps. I bumped up the class's speed and skill caps, making swordmasters the speediest class when capped. Maybe there's a reason to go into this class now?

3. Tactician, Grandmaster Spd+1

I noticed that Robin and Morgan are abnormally slow when they stick to their base class, and I found out that these classes just have a very low speed base.

4. War cleric Mag-1 Spd-1 Res-1

From many people's playtests, War cleric was turning out to be way too good of a class. I gave them some nerfs to distinguish them further from Sages. 

5. Maribelle Skill+3 

Maribelle can promote to Valkyrie and fight, but that is not fixing her horrendous accuracy issues. I gave her a bit of skill so she can hit better. 

6. Griffon Rider can now use swords

I think this change is in v4.0, but I forgot to mention it. Yeah go wild with Griffon Lucina. 

7. Donnel reclass changed: Cavalier, Knight -> Cavalier, Mercenary

This one was requested by many people because apparently people love Hero Donnel. I had no qualms about changing it. 

8. More Reclass Changes:

Panne reclass changed: Barbarian, Thief -> Barbarian, Cavalier
Cherche reclass changed: Troubadour, Cleric -> Dark Mage, Cleric, Mag growth+10%
Nowi reclass changed: Wyvern Rider, Mage -> Wyvern Rider, Mercenary

These changes were requested by a playtester who said these reclasses should give these characters a better skillset to work with. Honestly, I'm not too knowledgeable about skill grinding and the like, so I hope he is right. 

As always, download the newest patch from the google drive. Thank you WyvernNicola and Nur1 for the bugfixing help. Also I forgot to mention in the v4.0 post, THANK YOU STAIRFACTS FOR HELPING OUT WITH A LOT OF TEDIOUS EDITING!

Edited by windypanda1

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered adding the Fates movement skills (Lunge for lv. 10 Wyvern Riders, Shelter for lv. 10 Cavaliers, Swap for lv. 10 Knights, Shove for lv. 10 Fighters)? They can really open up the game to make cool aggressive strategies possible (and I really wanna do a max range siege tome lunge). Replacing some stat boosters with ability scrolls for these skills would be another cool alternative if that's possible in Awakening.

On 8/24/2021 at 3:10 AM, wickeddrw80 said:

I am playing V4.1 and I've noticed a couple items that aren't implemented per the change log. I reclassed Frederick to a Griffon Rider and he is not able to use swords. Also, Panne's reclass options are cavalier and wyvern rider instead of barbarian and cavalier.

Hi, thanks for pointing this out. It seems like some changes were not implemented properly.

I uploaded v4.1.1 on Gdrive with a few fixes:

1. Hierarch stays dead in chapter 7 cutscene - This guy was causing a difficulty spike in Hard Difficulty by aggro-ing a lot of enemies, so I just opted to let him die properly in the chapter 7 cutscene. Sorry to ruin the memes 😞
2. Griffon Rider can properly use swords 
3. Panne reclass properly changed

Sorry for the absence, I've just been interested in things other than Awakening. Hack is on hiatus for now, but I'll definitely come back to it when I feel like it. 

Edited by windypanda1

Hey, first off, thanks a bunch for putting this together!  I've been enjoying playing through this hack so far – the difficulty feels really well tuned!  I do have a few questions, though.

Is the process for updating to the latest version the same as for the initial patch?  This seems to make the most sense to me, but I recognize that I could be missing some intricacies in the updating process.

Also, is the dark flier's level 15 skill still Shadowgift?  I see you mentioned making this change earlier in the forum, but I don't see this change in any of the changelogs.  It doesn't matter too much to me which it is (though Shadowgift does seem like a fitting alternative to Galeforce), but I would appreciate some more explicit clarification.

Finally, I notice that one of Lissa's reclass options is barbarian, which I think is quite hilarious.  However, like with shadowgift, I didn't see anything about it in the changelogs, so I just want to ask whether or not it's intentional.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops!

Edited by FuriousJagen

On 9/5/2021 at 12:39 PM, FuriousJagen said:

Hey, first off, thanks a bunch for putting this together!  I've been enjoying playing through this hack so far – the difficulty feels really well tuned!  I do have a few questions, though.

Is the process for updating to the latest version the same as for the initial patch?  This seems to make the most sense to me, but I recognize that I could be missing some intricacies in the updating process.

Also, is the dark flier's level 15 skill still Shadowgift?  I see you mentioned making this change earlier in the forum, but I don't see this change in any of the changelogs.  It doesn't matter too much to me which it is (though Shadowgift does seem like a fitting alternative to Galeforce), but I would appreciate some more explicit clarification.

Finally, I notice that one of Lissa's reclass options is barbarian, which I think is quite hilarious.  However, like with shadowgift, I didn't see anything about it in the changelogs, so I just want to ask whether or not it's intentional.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops!

Dark Flier's level 15 skill is shadowgift, sorry for not putting it in the changelogs. Lissa's reclass option changing to barbarian is just a little joke I sneaked in, might as well put that in the changelogs as well. Sorry, I manually update these every patch and sometimes I forget to do things...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for clarifying that/adding those changes to the log!

On a separate note, I've noticed that reclassing Frederick to griffon lets him keep using swords, so it seems like that part of the patch is now working.  However, when I promote Cherche from wyvern to griffon, she is still axe-locked.  I imagine this is an issue resulting from the fact that I have updated the game mid-playthrough (edit: of course, feel free to take my baseless speculation with a heavy grain of salt).  Is there anything that can be done to resolve this, or am I just stuck out of luck?

Edited by FuriousJagen

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 12:48 AM, FuriousJagen said:

Thanks for clarifying that/adding those changes to the log!

On a separate note, I've noticed that reclassing Frederick to griffon lets him keep using swords, so it seems like that part of the patch is now working.  However, when I promote Cherche from wyvern to griffon, she is still axe-locked.  I imagine this is an issue resulting from the fact that I have updated the game mid-playthrough (edit: of course, feel free to take my baseless speculation with a heavy grain of salt).  Is there anything that can be done to resolve this, or am I just stuck out of luck?

Hey, it's way too late for this, but I uploaded a fixed patch. There was a bug where only male griffon riders could use swords. Sorry about that. 

On 10/22/2021 at 7:08 AM, windypanda1 said:

Hey, it's way too late for this, but I uploaded a fixed patch. There was a bug where only male griffon riders could use swords. Sorry about that. 

Thanks a bunch!  I can confirm that the bugfix works, as Cherche can now use swords as a griffon rider.  I'm very excited for griffon rider Lucina 😁

Hello guys, I have finished Chapter 22 of Lunatic Mode, along with a lot of balance tweaks, new features, and no more Same Turn Reinforcements (thanks to Heritor, creator of Project Thabes). I've been working really hard on playtesting Lunatic Mode to increase difficulty in interesting ways, and I can't wait to release it once I'm done. The new patch should be out in around 3 days. Stay tuned!

Edited by windypanda1

Hey, v4.2 is out! And that means

1. Lunatic Mode is completely finished and functional! It is completely revamped so it is no longer overwhelmingly difficult in the early game, and hopefully the game will be difficult throughout the game in strategically interesting ways instead of raw stats and enemy spam. Some example of changes you will see are: Healing enemies, enemies designed to break through choke points, improved weapons/skills, new enemies placed at threatening locations or near the boss, and many more. I'm pretty proud of what I created and I recommend checking it out.

2. Reinforcement changes. Same turn reinforcements are gone! All reinforcements will spawn in the beginning of player phase instead of beginning of enemy phase. I opted to remove most reinforcements from the game when I started making the hack, so I tweaked the reinforcements a lot so I could reintegrate them into the chapters. 

Spoiler

Chapter 7: Wyvern Riders -> Barbarians
Chapter 9: Wyvern Riders -> Mages
Chapter 10: Hard mode = same. In Lunatic Mode, spawns less enemies on Turn 7. (last wave)
Chapter 11: All reinforcements are changed to Normal mode pattern. 
Chapter 13: All reinforcements are changed to Hard mode pattern.
Chapter 14: All reinforcements are changed to Hard mode pattern.
Chapter 16: Reinforcements are spread out to Turn 4,5,7 instead of 4,5,6. Lunatic: Additional Falcon Knight reinforcements at Turn 9.  
Chapter 17: Reinforcements at Turn 8-13 -> Reinforcements at Turn 8 and 11,12,13. At turn 18, 7 Longbow Snipers and 1 Meteor Sage will appear at spawn position to push the player into clearing the chapter.
Chapter 19: Bottom 8 forts spawn Generals only. 
Chapter 20: In Lunatic Mode, reinforcements are pushed back to Turn 6. (same as Hard Mode)
Chapter 21: In Lunatic Mode, the stairs reinforcements are pushed back 1 turn each (same as Hard Mode)
Chapter 23: Removes reinforcements at turn 5 (the group that spawns in front of your face). In Lunatic Mode, adds 3 Mire Sorcerer spawns at turn 7,8,9
Chapter 25: All reinforcements are changed to Normal mode pattern. 

3. Many Many Balance Tweaks

Spoiler

1) Stahl and Sully are given iron weapons. The iron weapon drops at chapter 2 are removed. 

Even with the stat buffs, Stahl and Sully were still very underwhelming in the early game due to their bronze weapons, so I opted to just give them iron weapons and instead take away the iron weapon drops in chapter 2. 

2) Virion Lv2->3, HP+1 Str+1, Lon'qu Str+1 Spd+1, Vaike Str+2, Maribelle Spd+2, Olivia Spd+2, Cherche Spd+1

I gave some stat buffs to units that had very mediocre stats in some areas. These won't make the units significantly better and they are mostly just meant to bump up their low stats a little bit. 

3) Beaststone, Beaststone+: Skl-2 Spd-2

Beaststone and Beaststone+ gave way too much skill and speed at Skl/Spd+8 and Skl/Spd+10 respectively, so they are toned down to +6 and +8. 

4) Great Lord Atk+1 Spd+1, Mov+1. Great Lord is now sword/bow instead of sword/lance.

This change will hopefully make Great Lord more appealing as a Chrom/Lucina class option. This also increases bow distribution which is very lacking in Awakening. 

5) Amatsu Hit 60->75
This is the only 2-range option for Swordmasters, its hit-rate deserves to be a little better. 

6) Great Knight Lck+2
This is just an aesthetics change so that Great Knight has 1 higher stat than General besides Mov. Shouldn't affect viability in any way. 

7) Sorcerer Spd+1 (1 point higher than Dark Knight)

Sorcerers having 1 speed point higher than Dark Knight to distinguish them. 

8 ) Longbow/Levin Sword durability 25->30

Considering their limited distribution, I decided to bump up their durability just a little bit. 

9) Olivia now has a personal rapier (shares the personal slot with Owain)

It has the same stats as Chrom's rapier. This makes Olivia slightly more viable as a Dance Fighter combatant. If you get Galeforce, you can do crazy shenanigans like killing an enemy, galeforce refresh, then dancing a stronger ally. 

10) Wyrmslayer Mt+2

Wyrmslayer should be more viable as an effective weapon now. 

11) Missiletainn: Skl+1 removed, Durability 35->50, now has Sol and Luna effect.

No real balance basis, just put it in for fun. 

Bugfixes: 
Chapter 17: Fixed bug where Sniper was on top of a wall
Chapter 22: All items are now droppable (as intended), changed AI behavior so that Lepus's (War cleric) healing doesn't trigger the other 3 in the top row to move. 

New Bugs:
Some static noise can be heard in Chapter 23 on Citra emulator. Turn on Audio Stretching in Citra settings to fix.

New guide on how to patch the rom using Citra's built in Mod Function: https://youtu.be/Z3kN20Nras0

I realized this is the conventional method to patch roms these days and it should be easier than the DotNet3DSToolkit method. 

It's been nearly 1 year since I released this hack, and the hack is basically finished as I have implemented everything I wanted to. I'll still be receiving feedback and make bugfixes and balance tweaks though, and maybe I'll fix some Paralogue / DLC stuff in the future. Thanks everyone for caring about my hack, and if you've already finished a Hard playthrough, I recommend trying out the new Lunatic Mode. 

Edited by windypanda1

Hello, someone has notified me of a gamebreaking bug where the game crashes after completing Chapter 7 on 3DS hardware. I have absolutely no idea what causes the bug to occur but the fix is simple - delete all mod files related to that chapter. For now, I split the downloads into Citra version and 3DS hardware version, there's only 2 files difference so it's nothing really significant except for a difficulty spike in Lunatic Chapter 7 due to it being untouched. If you want to play on your 3DS, download the 3DS version.  

Edited by windypanda1

• 4 weeks later...

The chapter 7 crash on the 3DS is now resolved, so the two versions (Citra and 3DS) have been merged into one again. Thanks Pixellc for testing this out for me, and thanks to the people in the 3DS hacking community for helping me solve this!

Another bug in chapter 7 where the reinforcements were still spawning at same-turn was fixed. 

Edited by windypanda1

As someone that always has a soft spot for Fe13 because it was my first this really makes me happy to see, gonna try it out in the near future. Looks like some really amazing work, especially removing the god awful STR. I would be interested in hearing what other people think of the patch in comparison to the base game and how it feels after a full run. 

Do you recommend I start playing on hard or lunatic? I’ve never been able to beat a lunatic mode and I’ve given up fairly early every time so I’m wondering if considering that I should just play hard mode? Thanks for all the work you’ve done to this! I love awakening and have beaten it plenty of times on hard throughout its years. Very fond memories of this game. 

On 12/27/2021 at 2:51 PM, animefreak12 said:

Do you recommend I start playing on hard or lunatic? I’ve never been able to beat a lunatic mode and I’ve given up fairly early every time so I’m wondering if considering that I should just play hard mode? Thanks for all the work you’ve done to this! I love awakening and have beaten it plenty of times on hard throughout its years. Very fond memories of this game. 

Sorry for the late reply, I don't check serenesforest very often. Hard is the standard difficulty, Lunatic is for the hardcore fans who want the extra kick. In your case I'd recommend playing Hard. 

Edited by windypanda1

Hey, I've been playing through this hack and it's pretty great so far! I have a lot of issues with awakening's vanilla lunatic mode so this is ideal for me 😄

Edit: Previously mentioned some issues with some chapters, but after some testing these turned out to be problems on my end due to using this hack with some of my own files. Sorry about that!

Edited by treezie

On 1/2/2022 at 5:00 PM, treezie said:

Hey, I've been playing through this hack and it's pretty great so far! I have a lot of issues with awakening's vanilla lunatic mode so this is ideal for me 😄

Edit: Previously mentioned some issues with some chapters, but after some testing these turned out to be problems on my end due to using this hack with some of my own files. Sorry about that!

Glad to hear! Yeah, unfortunately many mods don't work very well together. 

long time lurker, had to register after discovering and reading through this thread. the amount of work that has gone into this hack is phenomenal. I shall definitely give it a try. Well done to you windy panda, and I hope your reverse hack (encouraging everything to be as broken and busted as possible) goes well too. No doubt you have learned a lot about game modding/3ds modding by now. all the best for you bud.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:14 AM, whackityschmackitydoo said:

long time lurker, had to register after discovering and reading through this thread. the amount of work that has gone into this hack is phenomenal. I shall definitely give it a try. Well done to you windy panda, and I hope your reverse hack (encouraging everything to be as broken and busted as possible) goes well too. No doubt you have learned a lot about game modding/3ds modding by now. all the best for you bud.

Oh yeah, thank you!
For the unbalanced hack, I’m going with the title “Unbalanced Fates” and I’m introducing Awakening elements into Fates gameplay and see how it goes. It’s a lot of work changing all of the numbers but I’m slogging through it ahaha. 

8 hours ago, CaptainEXE said:

Sorry if this has been answered but there's no way to play this on an actual 3DS? It has to be on Citra?

It is 100% possible to play 3DS hacks on an actual 3DS and this hack has been playtested by multiple people in original cartridge. You have to hack your 3DS however and I’ve never done it before so I’m not the person to ask, sorry. You can probably ask some other people on this site or look up a guide.

3 hours ago, windypanda1 said:

It is 100% possible to play 3DS hacks on an actual 3DS and this hack has been playtested by multiple people in original cartridge. You have to hack your 3DS however and I’ve never done it before so I’m not the person to ask, sorry. You can probably ask some other people on this site or look up a guide.

Oh I know how to get it working now and I did put the files on my hacked 3DS. Thing is, I run the game and I can't tell if the mod is working? Should the title screen or something be different? How can I tell if it is working or not?

On 1/17/2022 at 6:07 AM, CaptainEXE said:

Oh I know how to get it working now and I did put the files on my hacked 3DS. Thing is, I run the game and I can't tell if the mod is working? Should the title screen or something be different? How can I tell if it is working or not?

It’s been a while since I played the early chapters, but if I recall correctly the prologue chapter (on Lunatic at least) has a swordmaster in the lower right corner that isn’t there in vanilla Awakening. Even if you don’t intend to play Lunatic, you could load that chapter just to check if the hack is working properly?